Puppet Master: The Littlest Reich

Discussion in 'General' started by X-human, Apr 20, 2017.

1. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

2. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Exactly. I'm not a Puppet Master fan (or a Full Moon fan for that matter), but the team making this movie will get me to watch it.

3. fattyjoe37

It's put out by RLJ Entertainment who did 4K releases recently for Mayhem and Brawl in Cell Block 99. There are rumors they are upconverts though and not true 4K. I have no idea as I'm not a videophile and haven't upgraded to UHD yet.

4. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm surprised. Not holding my breath this will be a good movie though. There hasn't even been a trailer yet.

5. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

6. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

First trailer!:

baggio, Natas, Dobby and 2 others like this.
  7. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

This looks amazing!

It'll be fun to see Thomas Lennon in a horror movie. Love that guy.

8. Zombie Dude

Really? Looked kind of shit to me. After watching the trailer once the only memorable parts that come to me are the knife that actually comes out of Blades hand and the humorous bit at the end with the guy covered in blood.
    All the glimpses of the puppets show that they seem to just be angrier looking versions of the classic designs. Plus the overall design of the whole thing seemed a little cheep looking.

I'll still check it out when I can, but my expectations have dropped considerably.

9. CPT HOOK

Yes, I think it looks like good fun!

There really hasn't been a watchable entry since 6, so I'm excited to see a fun entry in the series again. Looks in line with my favorite, part 2. Can't wait!

Natas likes this.
  10. Zombie Dude

I just watched the trailer again and apart from seeing Torch, there is nothing that makes me think of part 2 (which is my favourite too). I don't know, I just feel extremely underwhelmed by what I'm seeing.

11. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

While it does look cheap looking, it's miles ahead what Full Moon has been putting out in their recent PM trilogy. I welcome this new take and hope the series continues this way and Full Moon can retire their series.

12. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

According to the early reviews out of the Fantasia premiere the other week, it's middling to OK at best.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  13. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

14. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Here's the Red Band trailer.

Natas likes this.
  15. CPT HOOK

You can rent or own this on Digital HD from Amazon for only 99 cents. Not sure if it's a price mistake or what.

I was going to wait for the blu because it's only a month away and it'll be closer to Halloween. But for 99 cents, purchased. Will be watching tonight!

rxfiend and fattyjoe37 like this.
  16. fattyjoe37

Probably won’t watch this till October, so a 99 cent digital purchase was a no-brainer so I can have it ready to go during my 31 days of Halloween. I think this is the only movie I’ve purchased digitally, but I’m not a fan of the series so I couldn’t blind buy the disc no matter how much I like the writer or how many good reviews it’s getting.

17. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

It's got a very good review on blu-ray.com, will be watching it.

18. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I just watched this and thought it was pretty good overall. The description of the movie I read called Thomas Lennon's character a "recently divorced young man", which was odd because Thomas Lennon is 48 years old.

Maybe I'm softening as I get older but I thought some of the deaths were maybe a bit too mean-spirited so the movie has a weird uneven tone where it's very funny one minute and then overly dramatic and even kind of depressing the next. I don't know what it was, I think they lingered a bit too much on the suffering of the victims. I'm all for gore, but seeing characters you like twitching around, gasping for air while coughing up blood for 20 straight seconds was a bit too grim and felt kind of out of place in this kind of movie which for the most part has kind of a fun vibe going for it. That could just be me though.

There's a brief scene after the credits. Only about 10 seconds, but it's pretty amusing.

19. Zombie Dude

Eh, for $1 I figured I'd buy it. I'll probably check it out today at some point.

20. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I went and saw it in a theater. It was "Not Rated." The ticket lady complemented me on my Svengoolie shirt. ;) There were only four others there. Luckily I stayed until after the credits as it was a fun bit of business. Only one other guy stuck if out with me.

It was fun. A lot of the stuff that were red flags before in early photos and even the title itself make much more sense in the film. They really went for it with a lot of over the top nasty deaths with some extra bonus politically incorrect deaths. It's got a pretty high body count too. I liked that they lingered those extra seconds on some of the death scenes; especially with the characters we know because it's always great when an actor can milk theirs deaths that much more. Udo Kier is only briefly in it at the beginning but he wasn't phoning it in he hammed it up deservedly. Barbara Crampton is in it much more and they gave her some good scenes to do.

Can't really say anything bad about it... Except that the Blade face was really bad looking and in the first few close ups looked really modern plastic (with plastic gears). Oddly the opening credits had the Blade design we know and love. There were some eye rolling scenes early when they're setting up the main characters (and would a woman who works at a record store NOT know the genres of metal? That didn't play right). But once they get in the car and start on their trip it's all pretty good stuff. And I give a pass to any bad puppet movement moments because honestly we all want to laugh at those. Overall though I thought they did well with the practical effects. They mostly stuff with simple and/or quick stuff.

Some highlights for me:
    I loved Hitler Junior. I hope they make a toy of that. And the skull head Blade was damn cool looking.

Looking down at the guy peeing on his dismembered head, you see his cock so that's a rare moment in horror films. So I gotta give them that moment too. (Funny when you see his body his pants are button. :D )

The pregnant woman/baby death scene just WOW. Not only was it graphic and extensive, I think with a hard look at the puppet you'll see that it was a caricature of a Jewish Rabbi/Mohel! I'm not buying the digital (even for .99) 'cause I want every penny to go towards the UHD. But I want to pause that scene the next chance I get. I think they even hid the look of that puppet until it was carrying the baby for a bigger surprise but it's easy to miss under the gore.

And just over all the politically incorrect plot is great. I'm amazed these new producers took those underpinnings of the series and brought them to the forefront. In a lot of ways this sets the series back on track where it should have been like Puppet Master 2 did with the more evil Toulon and even the undead aspect of him. He doesn't need to be hunting Jews but overall I think these movies play better with him as the bad guy.

I look forward to what they do if they continue the series. There may be some blow back though so who knows.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018