Puppet Master: The Littlest Reich

Discussion in 'General' started by X-human, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Well I couldn't actually watch the Amazon version as I have no means to play it due to regions I think. Annoying.

2. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I just watched the new puppet master, I've gotta say I've never been a fan of the series, but this was great, the last few films have looked very cheap and made for a fast buck, but this looks like a few quid has been spent and time taken to produce something good. There is a pretty decent story, good acting, all physical effects, lots of gore and the puppets are bad ass! Will pick this up on blu when released.

3. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I have to say I was a bit disappointed, but I think I was expecting too much. I think with S. Craig Zahler on board, I guess I was expecting elevated Puppet Master? It really wasn't, in fact I'd probably place it below the first five movies in the series. Although certainly a step up over the past few entries.

It does have a high body count and doesn't skimp on the gore. However, characters are introduced about 5 seconds before they are killed, so you don't really care about any of them. It's little more than a string of random death scenes. I prefer my slashers to have a central group of characters being picked off, so you actually care or are somewhat invested when they die. This does eventually have that, but it doesn't really start until over an hour into the movie. They should have had that setup by the half-hour mark, and they still could have offed all the random people in the interim. It felt like kill, kill, kill, kill, then they tack a little half-hour movie on at the end.

Even the central group of characters that do come into play weren't that interesting. I love Thomas Lennon and was excited to see him in a horror movie, but he, his girlfriend, and his boss were a bit too hipster-ish and dull for my liking.

I can't quite put my finger on what it is, maybe boring locations, the way it was shot, poor editing, or all of the above, but there's something about the look of the movie that is extremely dull as well. In fact, it might be the most visually uninteresting movie in the franchise. Lots of dull, ugly interiors, pale off-white walls, etc. There's not much to look at.

So yeah, Puppet Master II remains the best. Maybe if I'd gone in expecting another bad Full Moon sequel like the last few, I'd have been pleasantly surprised.

Perhaps the most disappointing part of the movie is when Thomas Lennon says his deceased brother found the Blade doll while at sleepaway camp, because I couldn't help but think "damn, I want to see that movie!"

4. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Active Member

5. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Holy shit! There are some hilarious kills in this one. The
    toilet
    scene made laugh so hard I had to pause the movie :D

Edit: Oh my fucking god... The
    birth
    scene, was insanely funny as well.
    The gore FX are fantastic.

The Axis movies was terrible,and I expected this to be just as bad, but this was a HUGE step in the right direction, and I hope they make another one :)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    fceurich39 likes this.
  6. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Rented this last night and had some fun with it, and it's definitely better than mostly all of the original Puppet Master films (as far as entertainment goes). Some great, bloody kills and more than a few chuckles, and Thomas Lennon does his best mumblecore actor impersonation throughout which I actually found both annoying and hilarious at the same time, but man-oh-man did they fuck up the storytelling aspect of this movie by leaving so much unexplained
    in the hopes of doing a sequel/franchise
    which left a lot to be desired, and there's plenty of characters that are only there to service the kill scenes. In the end it's so-so, but could have been much better if they focused on making this a complete experience
    which you can and should still be doing if you're planning a sequel....
    Also, there were too many puppets, and more than a few of the new ones were quite dumb.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  7. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

I appreciate everyone's input on this flick. I believe it warrants a blu ray blind buy.....ill defiinitely watch the first week or so in October.

8. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

The appeal of this one pretty much comes down to some good practical effects, a genuine commitment to over-the-top violence, and the most jaw-dropping and unrelenting display of un-PC black humor you could possibly imagine. And you know what? It was more than enough for me.

You just don't see movies with Troma-like sensibilities these days. Certain things JUST AREN'T DONE NOW. Good news, folks! All bets are off with this one. Just when you think, "they're not really going THERE," they do. I laughed uncontrollably a few times and occasionally just sat there dumbstruck with my mouth hanging open--hoping and praying that easily offended SJWs will unwittingly rent or buy this movie.

If you like irreverent humor, Toulon's home team, and old-school splatter flicks, you should have fun with this one. Fans of Kier and Crampton should also be pleased. Both of them enjoy some of their best on-screen moments in years.

9. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Came out today on bluray and DVD Walmart stores should have it!

Natas likes this.
  10. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

And also 4K, not sure who are stocking it, but it's out.

fceurich39 likes this.
  11. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Mine should arrive tomorrow in the mail but I think I'm gonna save until Halloween day........

12. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

I was surprised to see the DVD, Blu and 4k versions for sale at Walmart. Looks like the film is getting a decent push in the retail market though it seems Amazon dropped the ball on their preorders (a lot of people got delayed shipments, myself included, but I canceled when I found the 4k in store).

hots4 and fceurich39 like this.
  13. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Walmart has the UHD+Blu-ray set for $7.96 in store (only?) this past week. Today mine had four copies; no slip cover. I don't think these are moving all that quickly. They also had Mayhem (with slip covers) but I did not see Brawl in Cell Block 99 though some are reporting that also for $7.96.

I kept holding out for Full Moon to stock it in their web store but that doesn't appear to be happening and at $7.96 I'm already beating their 50% sale price so I picked it up. I suspect this may be a last dump. I don't anticipate them keeping this in print so it may be your last shot at it.

14. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I grabbed it in late 2018 off ebay for about $11 shipped new with the Slipcover, so it's always been kinda available cheaply. $7.96 is a pretty good deal though.

I doubt Full Moon will really carry it themselves, or at least at a super cheap discounted price since it's technically not one of their actual "releases". Who knows though, Charlie might swoop up a ton of them and save them in a backroom waiting for it to go OOP and hawk them all off. :D

X-human likes this.
  15. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Yeah, I almost pulled the trigger a few times during sales it was pretty low. And Chuck did pimp for it a bit but it felt like a long shot he'd carry them. He'd probably have to pay the distributor full price and well all know that ain't happenin'. ;)

I was half tempted to snatch up all four in the store myself. I sold my Blu-ray set of PM 1/2/3 on eBay for over what Amazon was even selling them so I'm thinking the base is strong. But probably a fluke? As an unofficial/official reboot it may also be worthless to hardcore fans and I might even lose money. Maybe if they get cheaper...

Anyways, I was hoping for a sequel since this is such an un-PC adaptation but it's looking like a one off. Too bad as I had fun with it. Glad to finally have it in UHD (although I hear the transfer's not very good).

Katatonia likes this.