Quick impressions of "Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers 20th Anniversary Edition"

Discussion in 'General' started by crikan, Sep 18, 2009.

1. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

I finally got around to upgrading the DVD of one of my favorite B-Movies of all-time, Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers. The reason I chose to upgrade was to get it in widescreen and I hoped for a better image as well. Thankfully, the 20th Anniversary Edition released in August of 2008 is a big improvement. The 2001 release has a very soft image that is too bright and is an odd aspect ratio. It appeared like it was transferred from a VHS tape. As stated in the disclaimer at the beginning of the 2008 release the “transfer has been created from the only remaining 35mm print source and it shows the wear and tear of its Grindhouse legacy.” The dirt and scratches are more regular but it doesn’t become distracting because it gives the movie that Grindhouse feel. And that is very appropriate for this movie. Its also nice that it isn’t prevalent during the best scenes. My favorite scene, where Mercedes takes “Bo Bo” back to her place for some TFC, is much better on the 20th Anniversary because it’s much darker and has more detail.

I know I’m not the only fan of Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers on this forum. I highly recommend this upgrade to those of you that have dragged your feet like I did. It’s less than $11 at Deep Discount.

I would never get rid of the 2001 release because I really like the artwork and I find the dreadfully amateurish DVD menu to be charming. That said, the 2001 release is now obsolete as all the content has been put on the 20th Anniversary except the brief (51 sec) Evil Toon Free Offer, Fatal Justice trailer, and Angel Eyes trailer. And none of that stuff is important. Both Night Owl Theaters made it to the new disc but were combined in the Special features. Some of the new features on the 20th Anniversary are a slick DVD menu and new commentary track with Fred Olen Ray and TL Lankford.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  2. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  3. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

We're definitely talking about the version with the Pink Cover right? You know, I always thought there wasn't any real difference between the two, but this new one keeps all the same bonus features doesn't it?

Damn. I like this movie enough to upgrade. I only paid $9.00 for the first DVD brand new, so it's no big thing to get a new one. I don't know when, but this is going on my list of new-editions to get right next to American Werewolf in London and Last House on the Left.

4. horrorlover

horrorlover Active Member

I picked up the new dvd of HCH and was pleased with the quality, and it's anamorphic widescreen so it fits my HDTV without being windowboxed. A great movie that should be seen by all :)

5. HAEMORRHAGE

HAEMORRHAGE If he dies, he dies

I wouldn't say it's a great movie or anything. Certainly not good enough to spend the $100 it was going for before it got re-released. Glad I got the newer version for cheap.

6. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

It's not a great movie but it is a very fun movie.
    Compared to the old vhs download I had burned (because like Haemorthage said, it wasn't worth the prices the old dvd would get, even if the old dvd was as good as the new one), the SE was literally mind-blowing.

I expected a slight increase in quality, and probably some picture to be shaved off the top and bottom (most low budget flicks in WS are just matted). What I got was a great looking print and tons more picture on the sides, the 4X3 versions are seriously cropped and not just matted. It really felt like a different film (pretty clear in the original post here), and for around $10 or so (under $7 in last fall's DD 25% off sale) everyone should have it just in case you need it.

7. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Yes, as you can see from the examples , no shaving on the anamorphic widescreen version. :D

8. snowbeast323

snowbeast323 New Member

I've always been meaning to see this one......never get round to it though :(

9. DVD-fanatic-9

It's not scary but it's pretty entertaining, if you're used to films like it. I recommend it.

10. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Same here!

11. HellRazor

HellRazor New Member

Hey thanks for this report, this is one of my favorite "guilty pleasures" and its great to know that the newer release is in fact an improvement. Im on my way to get my copy of the SE!

12. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I'm pretty sure the old DVD has either a Fred Olen Ray introduction, or a Night Owl Theater clip that's not ported over on the new disc. I'll have to check my old disc and compare it sometime to the new one.

13. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

It's on the new one under special features.

14. killit

killit Active Member

great, great movie, it just works

15. Katatonia

Yeah, but not the Introduction. It just has one on the new DVD, while the old DVD had two.

16. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

They merged the two into one so the only thing your missing is the brief (51 sec) "Evil Toon Free Offer", Fatal Justice trailer, and Angel Eyes trailer. And none of that stuff is important. I am very happy that both Night Owl Theaters made it to the new disc.

17. Katatonia

That's cool then. I thought they'd just left one off or something. Im not really sure if I'll keep the old one now, or sell it off. There's no real reason to keep them both.

18. DVD-fanatic-9

Oh wow. Then I'm keeping my old disc.

I actually liked the Angel Eyes trailer. :cool:

19. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

Hell yeah. :eek: That's awesome trailer. Wish I would have bought this when it was available.

20. DVD-fanatic-9

Ha. Thanks to that trailer, I actually want to watch the movie now. Whether it's good or not. :eek:

Maybe a miracle will happen later on. Like a boxset or something...