Rate the Adult Jasons

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by Bobbywoodhogan, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan Active Member

Rate the Jasons, give a little info on what you liked then rate them out of 10, I havent included every Jason in my list i.e. Warrington Gillette (liar) and all of the young Jasons, etc just because they dont warrant much screen time and are hard to rate:

Steve Dash (Part 2) - Deserves all the credit for his turn as Jason, shame on Warrington Gillette for lying all these years. I really like Steve Dash as Jason, of course seeing what came afterwards does make this Jason feel a little off at times, size wise etc and the way he moves but he had a sort of lopsided walk and run that I really liked. 8/10
    Richard Brooker (Part III) - I know hes well loved but I wasnt a massive fan of Richard Brookers Jason, his walk always seemed lazy to me, didnt really like the way he moved but he did have some good moments i.e. when he kills Andy whilst he is doing the handstand, also the way he moved towards Chris when he was hit in the head with the axe. 6.5/10
    Ted White (The Final Chapter) - The best of the early Jasons in my opinion, loved that he ran and he looked so menacing. Especially like the way he portrays the character at the end when he is been told to remember by Tommy. 9/10
    Tom Morga (A New Beginning) - played him in a few dream sequences most notably the opening one, was just way too skinny but I dont think he was too bad with what little movements he did. 4/10
    CJ Graham - He started what Kane Hodder perfected, I absolutely love CJ as Jason, I'm sure if he'd have carried on the role he would've been the favourote Jason. He was very much the Terminator Jason, not to be stopped. Just loved him. 9/10
    Kane Hodder (7, 8, 9 and X) - Seen as the best, the oen true Jason, has a special place in my heart and will always be Jason to me 10/10
    Ken Kirzinger (Freddy vs Jason) - I think he gets a bad rap cause he came after Kane Hodder and I'll agree Kane should've done the movie but he didnt and its not Kens fault. All in all Ken did what was asked of him and I quite liked his Jason in this movie, sure no Kane Hodder but a good job. 7.5/10
    Derek Mears (Friday the 13th - 2009) - I loved Derek as Jason, was superb, the way he moved, the stance, the speed he moved it, a great new take on the character whilst also incorporating elements of the other Jasons. 10/10

I think overall now Derek Mears is my favourite he combined all the elements of the Jason that I liked best. he does have an advantage as he has come after all the others. I hope he gets to play the character for many many years to come.

2. Very cool thread, so I'll have to give it a bump but come back later for a more proper responce, as it is a uniquely VERY nice 'n warm early Spring day, here in other wise super shit Shreveport, and plus my oldest brother Bobby's birthday, and everyone is coming over to grill steaks in a moment.

But I'll have a longer reply later.

In the mean time, before I rate & rank why, which I can't wait for, please to note that next Friday, on the next Friday the 13th of this month (weird that there are two in a row SO soon, isn't it? Plus one more later this year in November, I believe), on www.deadpit.com (an awesome podcast audio site, by the way), there's gonna be a large interview (phone in of course as always) with my personal favorite, Steve Dash, the REAL Part 2 Jason from the first 1981 sequel, so download and enjoy once that is up on the site Friday morning! ...
    :D

3. MrVess

MrVess Guest

C. J. Graham.

With the exception of Daskawicz, the others don't come anywhere close to his take. Especially not Grunting Hodder.

4. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

They look all the same to me.

5. bwana the clown

bwana the clown Supreme Ruler Of Sados

Yeah, stick anyone reasonably large behind that mask and I couldn't tell the difference.

6. Bobbywoodhogan

Awesome mate, will look forward to that :D Happy birthday to your bro with the cool name too :)

And the Steve Dash interview should be interesting, I enjoyed his interview on the my name is Jason DVD.

wow really?

7. bwana the clown

bwana the clown Supreme Ruler Of Sados

Really. Same for Michael Myers.

8. SickNick89

SickNick89 Member

Brooker 10/10
    White 10/10
    Dash 9/10
    Mears 7/10
    Hodder 7/10
    Graham 5/10
    Morga 5/10
    Kirzinger 4/10

9. Haha, thanks Bobby. :) We all ate at a fine buffet joint called Golden Carol, famous for steaks. It was alright. I liked steak a lot more as a young'en, myself.

But it was good to see Bobby.

Also, Uncle Bill & The Creepy Kentuckian, the guys who run and talk on www.deadpit.com who do the two hour-plus shows, promised us a wonderful two part interview, with Mr. Dash talking at length, and plus they've promised he's gonna tear Warrington the liar a new asshole. *lmao* Should be fun mate :D

I so can't wait to tune-in Friday morning!

And now without further abo:

1# Richard Brooker from Part 3-D

Why: He was menacing, and had an almost Michael Myers-like ability to appear behind his intended victims. He was of the perfect height and weight, and was quite fit. His eyes were fully expression filled, and this was the first in the series that he truely killed with authority. Loved the actual bit of acting that he does in the film, such as arrogantly throw the harpoon gun down after coldlessly dispatching Vera, as if to say "Pift, that little bird was nothing. She just stood there like the girl I stabbed the other day! (Vicki) What stupid, thick as shit assholes this lot is gonna be ..."

Loved the little "Jason alone" moments, such as him descending the stairs, and walkly swiftly out, and also the parts in the barn during the final reel as he searches for Kris. Plus, him and Mr. White looked the most at home in donning the iconic hockey mask, so kudos to him. 10 out of 10!

2# Ted White from The Final Chapter

Now I feel that this was a good look for Jason, with Part 3 and Part IV basically containing the same looking Jason, though I do understand Mr. White appears heavier and is built a bit different then Richard, but Ted simply builds on the movements and again, kills mostly not by being over seen in the film, but thankfully, his big apperance is truely saved untill the final act of the film.

He has some fine movements of lunging and swinging weapons, and he exuberates a fine amount of general "Damn, he's truely pissed off this time!" actions, which leads me to believe that Jason didn't much like being put down for several more hours of what chould have been possible kill time, starting at the end of Part 3-D and the beginning of The Final Chapter (or maybe Ted, since he only took the role for money, truely hated some much being on set that he relished taking out his anger on the victims?). He also brings back the grunting Richard did at the end of Part 3-D with his death moan's from Rob's machete.

And once Jason is unmasked, he look's probably the best he's ever looked during his early incarnations, thanks to Savini's final make-up FX job.

3# Steve Dash from Part 2

The last of the truely great "early" incarnation's of Mr. Voorhees, was of course when we think about it, the first adult Jason. Now that we all know of the drama behind who really was who in Part 2, let us say Steve (fuck Warrington and his stunt anyone chould've done), I must say for a non-actor off duty once New York City police officer, he moved well in the baggy denium jean over alls he had to wear, and am I the only one VERY much taken by his cystal blue eye'd gaze and stare?

He can TRUELY emote with that one eye hole on his pillow case (and yes, in the Crystal Lake Memories book, it is confirmed it's a pillow case). Liked very much how he reached with his hands, and how he held the pitchfork while running and doing stunt work. So all in all, he was a fine first adult Jason, and quite intimidating. He also looked nice being an even match for Paul, wrestling wise, which I know in that one eye'd mask chould not have been easy.

4# Tom Morga from Part V

The Pseudo-Jason (or Roy Burns) as he has come to be known is an interesting canumdrum. While of course not really a member of the Voorhee's family, I feel stuntman Tom Morga (who's credits also include doing Shape work the first week of filming Halloween 4 before he was let go and replaced by Mr. George Wilber) did an admireable job.

Once we see him up close in all of his dark black mechanic over alls and the new blue striped mark hockey mask. He has a fine/unique walk (note how he bolts from the stalled ambulance after Reggie and Pam), and damn if seeing him stand up isn't intimidating. Plus of course, there is just somethin' truely underrated and scary about once again having a real and not-dead killer loose on the prowl in the Crystal Lake county, once again after not having Pamela Voorhees since the first film.

All in all there is just something I like about his strutting after Pam, and all of the (of course implausible, cause it whould kill any normal fuckin' human being) damage that he sustains, from the Front-Loader Tractor to Tommy pocket knifing him in the inner thigh where there is a major artery down there, that he STILL comes atfer the remaining Pinehurst residents. So over all, it's a quite underrated incarnation of a famed killer.

I've also always kinda thought of it as like Jason's sprit comes to him later on in the late afternoon after he see's his badly overweight mentally challanged son's body, and sort of possessed him. It's like "Alright, I'm down for the count for now and playing worm food in the grave, but I'll give you some of my famiy's powers. And now I just want you to make or find a hockey mask, and to take up the machete and carry on my tradition of killing". Of course that's just the fan boy in me, natch.

Ya know to be honest, those of my favorites. Hands down. I'm afraid I honestly feel the rest were okay to below average. All they had to do was to stand there, look somewhat menacing and to memic death blows in a believeable fashion. I must say I was never into Kane's Jason myself, as there is way too much of that heavy breathing and "stiff shoulders" bullshit, but I know many like his incarnations, so to each they're own ...

10. Bobbywoodhogan

Its so weird how we all have different opinions on the Jasons, I really dont get the Richard Brooker thing myself but that is just my opinion.

I agree with what you said about the Steve Dash's stare, it just seems to pull you in.

Overall though Derek Mears was my favourite, I just thought he channelled the best bits of all of them.

11. snowbeast323

snowbeast323 New Member

I'm gonna put Richard Brooker as my #1

He was the first one to wear the hockey mask so, thats all good stuff in my book, I dunno, I just really like the way he portrayed Jason...and Part III has always been one of my favourite films in the series.

#2 goes to Ted White

Yes believe it or not....
    Ted White may have been a monster off camera....but it sure mde up for a great monster on camera.
    I think he brought out a more maniacal side to Jason that before....and I love his crazy run that he does ehrn he chases Trish

#3 Kane Hodder
    The Jason of all Jason's....he's just a legend
    I liked him most of all in The New Blood....
    I wish he hadn't hung up his hockey mask....

#4 Steve Dash
    The first person to play Jason....i really enjoy his portrayal of Jason.....I think he is the most human....which is helped by the look of the character and how easily he is hurt.
    I also think Dash had a hard job trying to make Jason scary in that get up.....and he still did it.

I think the other Jason's were good....but nowhere near as good as these guys

12. Really? Ah well, to each they're own mate. :D But I am a genuine Richar Brooker and also Ted White & Steve Dash fanatic. Can't wait to hear him tall all on his up coming www.deadpit.com audio call in interview. ;)

Interestingly enough, I've heard many others agree with me about Steve's eyes having an unusually strong sense to emote during the final reel's chase. I also read it on the old Friday the 13th boards by this nice guy who's posts I liked to read, long before the boards crashed and they decided that the modern Blog feature stuff was there to stay, over more costly reasons.

By t he near, nearly the EXACT smae discussion we're having is happening at the end of this Blog post on the official Friday site. Simply scan down afew posts:

http://fridaythe13thfilms.com/blog/my-reasons-the-final-chapter-is-king/

Gotta agree with that one guy's post that Ted White was a lifeless Jason, though. If you're like me and enjoy and are frightened of Richard Brooker's Jason, then to anyone out there, I see of no reason why you wouldn't fancy and warm-up to Mr. White's as well. Ah well, it's just my two cents and all that other bullshit. *playfully shrugs*

So glad you made this thread by the way, Bobbywood. :D

oh and fine post there, snowbeast. I agree a lot with what you wrote about Richard, Ted and Steve, of course. Except for finding Hodder quite overrated myself (again to each they're own), I agree 100%.

Just one thing: In real life, I don't know if I would label Ted White a real-life monster, now. Guess I chould understand what you probably ment by that, but Mr. White was raised in a rural county in Oklahoma, and has a certainly "Southern Gentleman" twang, and he is very vocal and noteable both on the Crystal Lake Memories book and in the two-disc His Name Was Jason documentary interview set, with trying to have been as professional as possible and with actually going out of his way to not hurt the youthful crew of Jason victims in The Final Chapter.

Such as most famously coming to the rescue of Jodie Arronson (of Weird Science fame) when she was freezing and cought hyperthermia in the lake, and he made Joseph Zito (the director) let her take a break or else he was gonna walk off the set and simply quit. Or the time that Steve Barton, who get's his head crushed in the shower, and he was worried cause while filming the teeny show "The Secret Powers of Matthew Star", he was hurt, and was worried it would happen again on that show, but Mr. White requested that he would get special treatment and foam padding in the shot that would be hidden and such, ect.

While it's true he mostly played cards with the crew every night after wrapping and he prefered to stay in character and to keep to himself in between filming so that the teenage actors wouldn't have they're fear deminished of him, I just feel we shouldn't take anything away from him.

But I get what you probably ment, but nah, he's okay in my book. :)

Mean while, everyone enjoy this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3Wi3ht3pNs

13. Bobbywoodhogan

Oh Im Bob Marshall on there so you may have read my post :D

TBH I saw your name on there and just didnt put 2 & 2 together duh lol

n thanks, Im glad I made this thread too, hope it gets many more responses, tbh I wasnt sure if someone else would've made the same thread so I just went for it :D

PS. I really like Ted White, he seems to cinduct himself well in interviews and he was considerate of the younger actors on the Final Chapter, hes my 3rd favourite Jason :)