Repeat Viewings (going back in time) - Fun Question

Discussion in 'General' started by baggio, Aug 2, 2007.

1. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

A little hard to explain but here it goes:

You know when you watch a film that you haven't revisted in a while, and get that feeling that you wish you were watching it for the first time. You might reminisce about that particular movie watching experience and how great that day was when you first saw it.

So here's the question:

What films would you like to if you could, erase your memory and see for the first time again? Like going back in time to get that great feeling back. Actually you can list non-horror if you wish.

Examples - Maybe stuff like Sixth Sense, or even Usual Suspects. Not saying you have to go with films that have a surprise ending. Thats just my take on it. Movies that completely stuck with you, maybe it was because of the theater you were in, the friends you were with, etc... that made it great.

One film I would pick would be Aliens I remember the excitement in seeing that film in the theater. The buzz going on around the film. No internet to ruin the film ;) I wish I had that back.

The Thing (1982)

And I can't explain why but Friday the 13th Part 4

For non horror I would say Smokey and the Bandit Odd choice I know, but thats a hell of a fun movie.

2. speanroc

speanroc I WANNA BAN

cool thread...

i would say any horror film i saw as a child, no other viewing expereince can duplicate the frightenly fun experience when watching a scary film as a child, children have far more imagination and have the ability to get "lost" into the experience than u can as an adult......everything,.. life, what's real, what's not, what can happen,what can't.. is all new and unknown when ur a child..it just made any film an awsome viewing experience......

3. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

Probably one of the greatest cinema experiences I had was Alien. Didn't know much going in - but what a night that was!

I sometimes think that the times when films were harder to see also somehow increased the pleasure once I finally did get my hands on something. When the Universal horrors were shown irregularly on TV, was amazing. Now I can watch any of them whenever I want, and a little of the sparkle is gone (although I love them, of course).

I do sometimes wish I could be a little less jaded - watching some of the films I see today, through the eyes of a pre-teen version of myself, would be awesome.

4. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

From Dusk Till Dawn. I knew nothing going in except "that dude from ER was in it", so when it turned, it was amazing.

5. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Many of my best movie viewing experiences were as a child. Jason and the Argonauts had me spellbound the first time I saw it. Turned me on to stop motion films and the work of Ray Harryhausen. That was my introduction to escapism at its finest.

This will probably sound lame, but SSSSSSS really scared the hell out of me...at least when I was 6 years old. Watching Dirk Benedict slowly transform in that movie gave me nightmares for years to come, not to mention Strother Martin as the menacing mad scientist. Grew to love this movie and to this day it's a personal favorite. Still cannot forget how much that one got my under skin initially.

I saw Poltergeist as a kid at the drive-in. Many repeat viewings can't bring back the horror I felt the first time. The movie alone scared me enough, but something surreal happened later on after going to sleep. Had a nightmare about that clown from the movie only to be awakened by a bat flying around in my bedroom that freaked me out even more.

6. horrorlover

horrorlover Active Member

I'd have to say for a horror film Motel Hell, I remember catching it on late night tv when I was a teenager, and for years I didn't know the title of the movie I had watched, I just remembered parts from it, well about 5 years later I was finally able to track it down through the library (this was before I had internet). Finding a movie now is easy just imdb :) For a non horror film it would be Emanuelle in Bangkok, I saw it when I was like 13 on cable late one night on Joe Bob's Drive In Theater on The Movie Channel but what stuck with me was the theme song, I finally got it on LP about a year ago and have listened to it way too much!

7. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

The original STAR WARS .I actually saw this early,we got it a couple of days before the general release,and the cut was slightly different.I saw this on my birthday,the first show of the day.There were TWO other people in the theater.I came back to see it the next weekend and a line circled the building twice.I stood in line to see it again,when I finally got in and saw the film I was surprised to find that the print was a different cut.The version I originally saw has essentially disapeared now.
    I would love to see RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK and CREEPSHOW again for the first time,two of the most fun theatrical experiences I've ever had.

8. Mark Relford

Mark Relford Chairman of the Bored

The original Dawn of the Dead easily comes to mind. I haven't seen it since the AB boxset came out. I would love to recapture that feeling of excitement and fear from my first viewing. It's also kinda bittersweet. My father was a huge fan of this horror classic. He would watch it with me countless times. I miss him. Hell, my mom even liked it and she's not much of a horror fan. This might've been one of the first rentals for our big honkin' VCR, but I'm not sure.

9. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

True Romance... I had gotten interested in it when this news program was talking about violent movies and all that junk... and they showed a quick clip from it (when the gangsters bust into the room and the cops are already there)... and I was... "man... gotta see that!" Didn't know much about it going in... as soon as Gary Oldman showed he was a crazy badass... I was sold... and when the Dennis Hopper/Christopher Walken scene happened... I was in heaven... and it just got better and better... when it was over I sat for awhile... then watched it again... :)

10. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Easily Friday the 13th, Part 2. It quite literally terrified me. I loved the atmosphere in it. It's creepy as hell. But now, that atmosphere has all but faded somehow. No matter how many times I watch it, it never feels the same. (Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the film. By FAR one of my favorite horror movies) But that feeling I felt, seeing it for the first time is gone. Maybe it's because I've seen it too many times, or that I've seen so many horror movies like it since. Maybe it was because I was a child when I saw it or maybe it's a combination of the three. But bottom line, probably some of the most fun I've ever had watching a movie.

~Matt

11. BroodingHope

BroodingHope New Member

For me it'd be Memento and The Devil's Rejects. Memento simply because the whole film blew me away and made me worship at the feet of Chris Nolan. His storytelling is impeccable and everything about the movie just fits. And I'd watch Devil's Rejects again because going into the theater the first time I viewed it with a huge bias and ended up not liking it for several months. I wish I could go back and see it for the first time in the theater again, because I know if I hadn't had that bias back then I would have had one of the best cinema experiences of my life.

12. toiletflush

toiletflush New Member

I still remember the first two movies I ever saw as a kid...my Dad rented A Nightmare on Elm St. and Fright Night...and we watched both in one night...I can still remember Tina being slashed to ribbons, and also coming to understand that it wasn't "actually" happening. A huge leap of logic and imagination for a young mind to grasp...those are still two of my favorite horror movies.

13. Spitfire

Spitfire Suspiria

These are my picks . . .

The first time I saw Halloween.

Suspiria and Tenebre. (Both introduced me to Argento, was wowed with them)

At the time when I was younger, I was huge into martial arts and I recall being overly impressed with LionHeart at the movies.

Predator : As a kid, this movie blew me away! Great experience.
    Commando : Alright another Arney movie but blowing stuff up and seeing lots of guys being overpowered by one man was super cool to me.
    Alien and Aliens : Classics! Watching them for the first time was a thrill.
    The Terminator : This movie had me in suspense well after the first viewing, the ending always stuck with me when Sarah Connor leaves in her jeep.
    Back To the Future
    The Goonies
    Indiana Jones the Series. (very enjoyable adventures!!)
    Star Wars Movies : Return of the Jedi - When I heard that famous line "Luke, I am your father!"
    The Crow : Brandon Lee's last movie
    CastAway
    The Pianist
    Howard the Duck
    Big Trouble In Little China
    Jaws
    Tremors
    The Arrival

Last edited: Aug 3, 2007
  14. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

I just thought of a couple more:

Phantasm - I remember a friend says I have this movie to show you and it has a scene that will make you filp. Tortured me all day by not telling me the scene. It was the sphere with the drill. Awesome movie. That movie stuck with me for a long time.

The Professional - every time this dam movie is on tv I get stuck(in a good way) watching it. I always wish I could see this movie for the first time again.

and Shoot to Kill - really great movie, very underated.

15. Lets see here:

The lost Boys- I was 7 when i first saw it. After that i was hooked on horror!
    Last House on Dead End Street- My fav horror film! I remember hearing about it and anticipating it's release for about 3 months and then ordering it. The day i got it i waited until midnight and put it in. I was blown away by what i witnessed.
    Leif Jonker's darkness- Saw it when i was 13 for the first time. My first 8 millimeter shot film. Truly a landmark horror film.
    Big Fish- I still cry at the end. One of the most spellbinding films i had seen in a long time.
    Moulin Rouge- It reminds me of a very special girl i'am still deeply in love with.