Rob Zombies Halloween III

Discussion in 'General' started by Bobbywoodhogan, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Haha@JC walking in the meeting with a bag of popcorn. I'm sure Carpenter is in it for the paycheck, but his involvement in any kind of motion picture will spike my interest.

This is probably the best thing to happen to the franchise other than it being put to bed, but I highly doubt this is going to be some return to form, slasher masterpiece that we've all been waiting for. As exciting as this seems, Carpenter's time on this Earth is limited, and I'd rather he put his efforts and ideas into something new.

Ah well, more power to him...at least we can hope this film will wash away the bad taste of Zombie's two wretched Halloween outputs.

Steel76 likes this.
  2. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

The only mistake I think they really made is not trying hard enough to get the word out that the third movie wouldn't be a continuation of the storyline. Calling it simply HALLOWEEN: Season of the Witch rather than HALLOWEEN III would have helped. Pushing the theme of robots and lethal halloween masks in the ad campaigns and stressing that it was only "from the creators of Halloween" and an entirely new storyline wouldn't have hurt either. Before it was released I didn't see a single trailer, I just saw the ad in the paper featuring trick or treaters walking in silhouette. It wasn't much to go by. If they had an extended ad campaign starting months in advance they could have stopped a lot of the misgivings at the door. At least it would have helped them wash their hands of the accusations that they deceived the audience.

Steel76, zbinks and Zombie Dude like this.
  3. maybrick

I will also add that I do think that audiences today are a little bit more savvy and open minded to change than they used to be. Michael Myers was scary in 1978 but he has kind of devolved into a joke character in a lot of ways. What else is there to do with him? He's pretty played out and even if a new film is made I don't think it would do that much at the box office. It's the law of diminishing returns. If I owned the franchise I'd be up for a complete rebranding. First step, instead of a traditional trailer, release a mini documentary explaining the history of HALLOWEEN and how originally the concept was meant to be a different story every year. Fess up to how they bombed the first time around with Season of the Witch, but that they were just that crazy to try it again. Then a few months later release the real trailer. Ease people in, don't just throw them into the deep end and expect them to swim (so to speak). Anyways, that's how I'd do it.

zompirejoe, Mok and Steel76 like this.
  4. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Since this will be a reboot, and thankfully not involve Zombie, maybe we should change the title of the thread, to "Carpenter's Halloween Reboot" or something? ;)

zbinks likes this.
  5. sade

sade Active Member

I honestly do not expect anything from JC anymore. He seems to have lost interest in movie making decades ago, I am sure his health issues do not help.

6. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

I understand you guys talking this down lest your hopes get dashed, but that doesn't sound like a cash grab to me. I've read he is also scoring the film.

By the way, is this the same movie that is still supposed to be about Michael Myers on death row and a couple cops obsessed with him or something along those lines?

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  7. Chomp

Lol, of course he's going to say that (while he causally noshes on a bag of popcorn, and jokes about missing a basketball game while being there). I bet you think The Misfits reunion is finally happening because Danzig and Only are best friends again too, right?

Don't be so naive. Have you not listened to a word Carpenter has said in the last 20 some odd years regarding continuous Halloween sequels and the positive effect it has on his bank account? That's literally the first thing he remarks upon when he's asked his opinion on the matter.

Carpenter is hot right now...I bet the offer to be involved with a Halloween sequel was MASSIVE...like, "stupid to turn it down" massive.

8. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

looking forward to another Halloween film of course

9. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

No.

No.

Ok.

Cool.

EP's generally put money into a project. But ok I guess it would have to be massive (all caps) for him to participate when he apparently gets paid to do nothing and brag about how much it profits him. Profits that have come from his absence no less. Movie studios usually like to spend massive (all caps) amounts of money when they don't have to. :confused:

10. Chomp

This guy...:rolleyes:

Where have you been in the last 15 years?! That's literally all they do!

Whatever dude... believe what you will. I don't want to crush your spirits on a brand new Mikey Myers film.

But yeah you're right, after almost 40 years, Carpenter just wants to bring back the integrity of the franchise and make Michael Myers "scary" again. That's why Carpenter was reluctant to write the sequel in 1981, that's why he completely omitted the character in Halloween 3, that's why Carpenter signed away his rights in the midst of Halloween 4, and that's why he declined to direct H20.

Carpenter must have finally saw the light in 2016, eh?... just like that.

11. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

There's this cool movie called Prometheus and it's abou- ah never mind.

12. Chomp

Prometheus was mediocrity at its finest and further proof that O'Bannon was the true visionary behind the original Alien.

And how dare you compare a hack like Scott to the greatness that is John Carpenter. Pfft.

Mok likes this.
  13. maybrick

I like turtles.

14. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

The so-called Halloween Returns? That was scrapped last December and the rights to the series were put up for sale. I doubt they retain any of the story elements from that film for this film.

Mok likes this.
  15. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

This is a strange remake imo. So they are remaking a film to follow up 2 remakes(that for the most part weren't received well by the public) of 2 original classics. On top of that it's a remake of a film that had nothing to do with the original 2 movies. :confused: And its being produced by a guy that said he was insulted that there was even a Halloween 2(true story) :p

16. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Bahahahahaha! Too funny!

Dave likes this.
  17. maybrick

Don't worry. They're skipping the origin story this time around and beginning at a point when he's been wearing the mask for at least 6 months.

Oh, wait a minute. For a second I thought you were talking about Spider-Man. Sorry.

baggio likes this.
  18. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Now this film has my attention.

I agree about Prometheus, but you really don't consider Ridley Scott to be a hack do you?

Zombie Dude likes this.
  19. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Pretty sure he was joking.

20. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

The fact that he's scoring the movie does give me some hope. I have a hard time believing the producers would put down the extra change for him to say he did the score (producers are notorious when it comes to skimping on music) and on the flip side that Carpenter would agree to put in such soul crushing work to squeeze out a few more pennies. I'm sure Carpenter has enough money, and little time left to spend it, that he wouldn't spend his remaining hours doing playback in front of a film he loathes in order to score it. And fans don't care that much for a "Carpenter score" to justify spending the extra cash only to bring in a ghost composer. Especially when he gets a pay day from the main theme anyways.

But then logic isn't Hollywood's friend.