Robert Downey Jr is the new Lestat!

Discussion in 'General' started by SEANVALEN, Aug 16, 2009.

1. SEANVALEN

SEANVALEN Active Member

Robert Downey

http://www.moviehole.net/200920313-downey-jr-is-lestat

This is great news, I always wanted Cruise, Pitt and co to have continued the vampire chronicles from the vampire lestat, but it never happened, and time has gone on, so this new restart with a great star, should be awsome, robert is a great actor

The Lestat character should of had his own film, The Vampire Lestat, based after the book, but the movie queen of the damned was a blending of 2 novels, I always thought the vampire lestat novel if filmed properly would of been the ideal sequel to interview with the vampire, and I think it should be the first film with Robert.

Lestat as a character probably is the more interesting that hasn't had enough films to the creations credit and horror's loss so far, is the lack of films after interview, Dracula is always the main vamp, but Lestat has enough adventures to add to the film genre of his own. I thought Tom Cruise's best performance was as Lestat in interview, shame he didn't continue, but Robert will be interesting. I never bothered watching Queen of the damned, because I thought it was sickening they didn't film the vampire lestat properly, rather then mould 2 books with queen of the damned, that trilogy of films should of been done with Cruise and co, I always thought the most annoying thing with interview of the vampire, is at the end, you wanted a sequel, the movie made money, but no one got together to do one, and it's been, what 14 years since 1994, wow time flies.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  2. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Downey Jr. is a great actor, but he's too old to be Lestat. Hell, even Cruise was pushing it in Interview. To the best of my knowledge (I read the books years ago), Lestat was turned when he was very young, like 20's.

3. Reverenddave

Reverenddave Member

Maybe they can get Zac Efron for Vampire Chronicles: The Musical.

4. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Either him or Robert Pattinson. He needs to be brooding and tortured.:lol:

5. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

They need to turn the books into a HBO or SHOWTIME series. Movies won't do the books justice.

6. SEANVALEN

SEANVALEN Active Member

I kinda agree, too old to play Lestat, but then maybe this role requires a name to bring people in because the production costs give it a lavish background. I loved the production and style Neil Jordan gave Interview with the vampire.

I just don't see any big young actors to take on the role.

Remember Lost Boys originally was going to star proper young boys/teenagers, the script had boys much younger then Kiefer Sutherland was, but his David worked well, he was more like a young man/college/university age, hell Sutherland made probabley my favorite vampre, I think Sutherland, a young one would of been the best Lestat ever. It's such a charasmatic casting decision, it requires a name, I don't mind it being played by a slightly older actor, maybe with the make up and all, and some weight lost, Robert Jr would look ideal.

I think Rudger Hauer from Blade Runner would of been a great lestat as well, he's old now, but his name was even menstioned in the book vampire lestat by someone telling Lestat, that Hauer resembles him, Lestat was watching Blade Runner in that novel modern day.

Lestat will one day be played by someone young to be faithful to the book, maybe for tv, but for now we need actors to make the role their own, it's what Kiefer did with Lost Boys, and I thought Cruise was great in Interview, the best vampires are usually older actors in screen history., I can't remember a popular vampire played by someone young. It can happen, but it's a rarity.

Someone like Kiefer Sutherland even when he was young, had a old soul in a young man's body quality to him, Joel Schumacher-director of Lost Boys and worked with him on Flatliners said that about Kiefer. I agree, Kiefer had that style, where you knew he was young, but then you also thought there's a old soul in him, it's a very rare quality, and one that I think is needed for Lestat.

Stephen Dorf who played Frost in Blade, kinda reminded me of Kiefer, he was a great villian in Blade, I even heard Dorf is going to play Frost in a spin off. Dorf would of been a good Lestat as well.

Who knows, some weight loss, a big one, a shave and pale make up, and Downy wil look younger, but with a mature been around for ages look as well.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  7. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Yeah, the vampires were a bit older than teenagers in the Lost Boys, though Sutherland was still very young, I believe 19 during production. He's always just looked older in my opinion.

8. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

You might be very surprised at what type of job he may do. Downey too old? I don't think so. I think that he will make a good Lestat. Downey is a very capable actor and he sure got his career turned around. There are a lot of other people that I could think of that would be very mis-cast in that role. Zak Efron..dear Jesus!!!

9. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

Eh, I don't really care one way or the other. I loved the 1st two books but the 3rd one bored me so deeply that I stopped reading with just 50 pages to go. And as far as the INTERVIEW casting goes, Kirsten Dunst was fantastic but the others didn't impress me. It's one of those situations where the "stars" bring too much of themselves to their roles.

I will rent this though, if only to see an even more sexually-ambiguous Lestat delivering every other line of dialogue with over-confident sarcasm.

10. BoredSeal

BoredSeal New Member

I would prefer Tom Cruise to return. It´s weird, but when Cruise plays villain, he´s perfect. Age doesn´t matter much to me, vampires are eternal :)

11. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Yeah that happened to me too with the books. Never finished the third one and never started the fourth.

Kirsten Dunst stole the movie from all the old geezers.

12. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Robert Downey Jr. as Lestat is a brilliant move in the casting department because as all of you know, Downey Jr. never goes full retard.

13. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

I think I read at bloody disgusting... forget where... but this is all bullshit... Downey's people said there is no truth to this...

14. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Nekron should play Lestat
    [​IMG]

15. killit

killit Active Member

zac efron would have been wonderful as lestat...the worlds loss