Roger Corman's BLOODY MAMA (1970) from Kino / Scorpion 9/23/14

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by bruce h, Jun 30, 2014.

1. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

"The family that slays together, stays together!" Roger Corman's BLOODY MAMA (1970) gets upgraded to HD as part of an exciting series of collaborations between Kino Lorber and Scorpion Releasing. Shelley Winters is the titular matriarch of the Depression-era Barker clan, embarking on a cross-state crime spree with the help of her sons and stragglers -- including a psychotic Don Stroud, jailbird Bruce Dern, and a glue-sniffin' Robert DeNiro. It's essentially a non-stop slate of robbing, sexing, kidnapping, and killing, leading up to a energetic, tommy-gun fueled shoot-out that tries to outdo the over-the-top violence of BONNIE & CLYDE (1967). Obviously based on a true story; I'm sure there's plenty of factual documentation for the bit where an old lady becomes roadkill, or when they unload on an alligator with a machine-gun. Extras include a new interview with the director and the trailer. "When it comes to killing, Mama knows best!"

Blu-Ray Preorder (9/23/14) : direct links available at my sites.

Theatrical Trailer!
    http://youtu.be/2jxYdeZl9Rc

"Like" the Cinema Arcana Facebook page to keep up with the latest news, deals, release announcements and more!
    https://www.facebook.com/cinemaarcana

[​IMG]

2. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Winters is great in this and the supporting cast of old pros and soon to be stars is excellent. Surprisingly violent too ! One of Corman's best later day directorial efforts.

3. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

4. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Cool, haven't seen this in ages. I need to get it. Wish they would issue John Millius's great DILLINGER with Warren Oats. I thought it was way better than Michael Mann's PUBLIC ENEMIES with Johnny Depp.

5. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Movie was a little all over the place, but I didn't dislike it. It has a powerful ending, a terrific cast, and beautiful scenery. I love when movies shoot on location. But as far as Kino / Scorpion releases go, it's no Jennifer.

The Roger Corman interview was great. After his super brief interview on the Sorority House Massacre disc, I was worried it would be a little on the skimpy side, but fortunately not to fear. It looked like the interviews were filmed together, and I'm sure there's more on other releases. It would be interesting to see them all put together in one massive Roger Corman interview. But Scorpion always does a terrific job with interviews, very informative and well organized.