Seytan ( Turkish Exorcist ) now on DVD

Discussion in 'General' started by Evil Dead Guy, May 10, 2007.

1. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Cool! These Turkish ripoffs are always a lot of fun. :D

Here is the Turkish Captain America & Santo VS Spider-Man:

http://xploitedcinema.com/catalog/3-dev-adam-p-7452.html

2. Luna

Luna Guest

Oh, nice! This one's fun. Actually, I was kind of impressed by the faithfulness to some of the sets and scenes and intrigued by where it differed. I figured they must have done this one on a shoestring budget but did very well with what they had to work with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iowHt0rrnhQ

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2007
  3. MrVess

MrVess Guest

So, that guy that's been putting out those bootlegs finally managed to download that old transfer of "Seytan" from DC++ hubs and put it on a disc? I did it three years ago with my copy, but I provided mine with an actual cover - and didn't sell it.

[​IMG]

4. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Ugh, despite the name change it's really Jef Films. Although I buy bootlegs I hate these guys because they bootleg movies that actually have release potential and all they do is harm those movies chances for a good legit release.

BTW MrVess, that is an excellent cover.

5. Thanks for the link, i'll be getting this one also. I love these rare films from all over the globe, i hope they release more turkish titles.

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2007
  6. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

7. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Just watched this last night, and although conventional wisdom would lead you to think this was total crap I found it to be pretty good. The build up was well done and production levels very good all things being considered. There's a comment on the Jef Films description saying "editing most likely done by a blind monkey" which I really didn't see. I can't think of any stand out bad cutting, I wonder if the print they used was bad? The bootleg I got from another source was in good condition with no bad splices.

The exorcism itself is a bit of a let down, I guess because they didn't want to use an actual religion so they had to be sketchy with the details. I assume this is because in Turkey they're trying to entertain an audience of Jews, Christians and Muslims. Of course it doesn't hold a candle to the original and there are some truly bad spots but overall I'd consider it well done.

Of course one has to take other Turkish cinema in consideration to come to that conclusion. Compare it to something really dreadful like Turkish Superman and you can appreciate how well this was done. Other Turkish horror like The Dead Don't Talk have no semblance of a plot at all. The film makers behind Seytan really "got" what made the original great and tried their best to recreate that.

8. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I watched my Substance DVD of this today for the first time. I knew it was an Exorcist rip-off but I'd be surprised if the film makers weren't sued for plagiarism. There are dozens of scenes that were basically the same. The actress portraying the daughter had similar looks to Linda Blair and even the music was blatantly used. The quality was about VHS level although the subtitles weren't bad. This just didn't pack the same punch as The Exorcist and I wouldn't watch it again unless it was an HD upgrade.