Shikoku

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by thrashard76, Aug 13, 2004.

1. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

[​IMG]

Shikoku

Synopsis: Sagori possesses spiritual powers which enable her to converse with the dead. After she dies at the age of sixteen, her mother attempts to bring her back from the dead. Sagori’s friends decide to investigate the history of Shikoku Island which is also known as The Kingdom of the Dead. Will Sagori’s friends be able to stop the awakening of Sagori from the dead? In Japanese with English Subtitles

Rating Not Rated
    TRT: TBD
    Genre: Horror
    Label: Adness
    Order Date: September 6, 2004
    Street Date: October 26, 2004
    Format: DVD

Cast: Chiak Kuriyama (Gogo Yubari in Kill Bill – Volume 1), Ren Osugi (Audition, Fireworks, Crazy Lips), Yui Natsukawa (Takeshi Kitano’s Zatoichi, Gonin 2), Toshe Negishi (Audition, Warm Water Under The Bridge)
    SRP: $19.99
    UPC Code: 634991206129
    Catalog #: 20612-7

Can anyone recommend this version of this movie or is there any word of a better version coming in the near future?

2. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Has anyone heard anything on this release? Any good?

3. Deaddevilman

Deaddevilman Guest

I haven't heard a good thing about this film... even while in Japan. Spend you money on something better like Oldboy!:)

4. suspiria

suspiria Guest

5. Fart Lighter

Fart Lighter Guest

I've got the HK VCD of this movie, and thought it was excellent. I'll definately be upgrading. there's one due out in the UK on DVD soon as well.

6. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

7. Luna

Luna Guest

I really like the cover art on this one. I saw a full page ad for it in Rue Morgue and wanted to check it out based on the art and the actress. Even after reading that review, I'll still give it a look.

8. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

Man, I saw this in Best Buy earlier tonight and, because of Chiaki Kuriyama, wanted SO badly to give it a rare (for me) blind buy. I must have picked-up and put the dvd down about six times. I ended-up leaving it there. Doh!

Thankfully, Netflix has it in stock so I'l preview it there. :)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2005
  9. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

yeah I know what you mean. I almost bought this blind just cause Chiaki Kuriyama's in it too. I've almost ordered it three or four times. fortunately zip.ca now has it so I'm just going to rent it first and see if it's worth buying. I've heard that it's not really a horror flick, more of a ghost story/love story. but that's ok. and if it's no good, at least there's a cute girl in it.

10. Wermode

Wermode Member

The story is fair and the film has some decent moments. I just didn't find it very original or shocking. Go in with modest "ghost story" expectations, and you shouldn't be too disappointed.

11. tobaccoman

tobaccoman White, Proud, and Stupid

I haven't seen this or any of the Tomie's. Uzumaki (Spiral) is another movie based off a Junji Ito manga and directed by Higuchinsky and I thought that was excellent. I've been wanting to check this out, but I don't want to pay $20 for it on a blind purchase. I wish I could find it to rent somewhere, but no one around here carries much foreign cinema.

12. maskull

I just read the review of it in Fangoria...makes me want to see it more than ever.
    I'm not expecting anything too scary. more a good ghost story.

13. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

I actually want to pick this up now. I'm interested in, however slightly, expanding upon more asian catalog. They must do a lot more than the horror films and gorefests. To that end I bought "Rubber's Lover", "Snake of June", "The Stewardess". Varying degrees of success - Rubber"s Lover is a tad weird..... Stewardess is a comedy, and my wife and i are still talking about it, three or four weeks after viewing.

So if this is not "standard" asian fair - and when we say that, I think we're really talking about a very small set of films that we'll be complaining are too similar next - then I am all for it.

14. maskull

oh man, there's so many different types of asian films. just as many genres as hollywood has and often done better...or maybe they just seem better because the ones that get official release outside of Asian countries tend to be the cream of the crop.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2005
  15. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

--or maybe they just seem better because the ones that get official release outside of Asian countries tend to be the cream of the crop.--

:D

I was thinking the same thing. Getting a true persepective on what is really going on in Asian cinema is way beyond me. I concentrate almost exclusively on horror titles, and even then I am aware that we're not getting them all - just a selection. Yes, probably the best of them!

Of course, Criterion also offer a slew of asian titles, older ones, which as worthy of being in anyones collection.

It's the same when we look bck at different decades in American cinema too - what remains is hardly complete - which might well be a good thing. However, given the range of opinion today, it's highly likely that there are many "forgetten" or "lost" films that would indeed find an audience, however small.

16. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Did I like that? I just watched it, and I am not sure. The movie seemed to suffer from a mad case of multiple personality disorder. Was it was a love story, a thriller, a ghost story, a "Big Chill" like story, or a straight up B movie that the MST bots would have torn into? It had moments where it was all of them, but it never really stuck together as a cohesive whole, if that makes any sense.

Still, the actors were actually really good, and the cheap budget served to give the movie an interesting, almost 80s atmosphere. Also, the scenery was so beautiful that I never could muster up any serious disdain for the movie, even in instances when it was clearly guilty of some sort of sucking. It sort of hypnotized me like that. Also, I can't deny that I love Japanese ghost stories. You' ld have to mess up a lot worse than this to turn me off, so I am giving it a generous 3/5, at least until the hypnosis wears off. Then I totally reserve the right to change my mind.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2005
  17. maskull

I don't know if i'm expecting too much from the actual story, but I am expecting a beautiful film visually anyway. sometimes that's enough for me.