Silent Hill...the movie!

Discussion in 'General' started by 2D4EVER, Sep 19, 2003.

1. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

Going to see this tonight... I'm hoping it's good.

2. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Going to see this in 35 mins!

3. Ass_Assassin

Ass_Assassin Guest

Just saw the movie. In short, its fantastic. Easily the best game-to-movie adaptation I've ever seen. Essentially, its rather loosely based on Silent Hill 1, although some elements are based on part 2. Much of the storyline is brand new to the movie, however, so don't expect it to follow the game too closely. Being a HUGE fan of the first 2 games, finishing both probably 10-15 times each, I can say that I'm not at all disappointed, and I highly recommend this film to anyone who likes the series or horror movies in general.

4. Ash

Ash New Member

Ass, would you say it's better than most horror movies in the last 20 years? I heard it's pretty good. I'm going to check it out this weekend.

5. Ass_Assassin

Ass_Assassin Guest

Yes, I would. I personnally am not a fan of most recent horror movies, as I feel they just aren't very scary. Silent Hill, while not quite as scary as the actual games, is still pretty scary and will keep you on edge. The movie has quite a bit of gore, but doesn't shove it in your face like Saw or Hostile did. It's used when needed IMO. The acting is all well done too. However, by far the movie's biggest strength is its excellent plotline. I'll be honest though, if you don't have an in depth understanding of the first game's storyline, its possible that the plot might be confusing if you aren't paying careful attention, but I could be wrong.

6. ReelFear

ReelFear New Member

I don't play video games so my review is based strictly on what was presented on screen. SILENT HILL is visually stunning, with some excellent production design, SFX makeup, and music. That said, some of the acting and dialogue are well below par. The film is somewhat confusing and there are moments that look like you are playing a video game. I felt like they should have handed the ticket buyers a controller to hold while watching the game...I mean movie. Visually, the movies that SILENT HILL most bring to mind are HELLRAISER 2, THE CELL, IN THE MOUTH OF MADNESS, and NIGHTMARE ON ELM ST. (minus Freddy). It's a frustrating film because there are some pure horror images that will burn in your mind, but also plenty of by-the-numbers scenes too. There's more good than bad so overall, I'm satisfied. 7/10

7. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Just as i suspected- this movie is gonna be awful- I mean any serious horror fans out there really expected this to be any good???? - anyway here is one interesting review on the movie already....

http://film.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/Critic_Review/Guardian_review/0,,1757631,00.html

the site also shows some review ratings from some other sources and it looks really really bad- but i could tell that just by the previews and the lack of any plot http://film.guardian.co.uk/Film_Page/0,,1756748,00.html
    roger ebert gave it 1.5 stars (although he said special effects were very good but not enough to save the film) and
    rottentomatoes.com has some more info on the movie as well fyi- I was shocked when some people started getting excited about this movie so I was gonna check it out but now I see my initial feelings about the movie were true- too bad I had hoped to be surprised and something good come out of this movie....but critics can be wrong- just usually not all of them<:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2006
  8. MorallySound

I saw this a couple hours ago. Being a HUGE fan of the games I was extremely pumped for this movie. And it does not let down. Visually stunning, horrifically designed down to the meticulous details of both worlds of Silent Hill, and some real mean and nasty horror and gore. One thing I found, especially story-wise, is if you have never played the games, you may be a bit lost. There is a lot of hidden images and sayings that will tie the story together, but if you aren't familiar with the games you may not piece those together. So just a warning to you whom have never experience the games: it may be a bit nonsensical to you.

And holy SHIT, when Pyramid Head
    ripped off Annes cloths and then her FLESH! NASTY AND UNEXPECTED AS FUCK!
    Gross and gory! And same with the
    barbed wire church massacre scene.

Overall: Scary, tense, frightening, and the best video game adaptation ever. 4.5 out of 5.

9. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Good to hear it MorallySound. I can't get out to see it until Saturday or Sunday, and so it is good to hear your review. I too am a huge, giant fan of the games, and wanted to hear what another fan thought because that's the buzz that matters to me. What Ebert Inc. thinks about this one? Not so concerned.

10. othervoice1

I was just sending a warning out to those of you that were not sure if it was supposed to be a surprise good movie or not- appears not- Ive played the Silent Hill and Resident Evil games- great games- but the movies are always special effects with nothing else- which I hate and I wish these types of movies would go away and make way for something worth watching not just eye candy.....just my two cents <: But if enough people on here say they really liked it I may give it a rent later on

11. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

I don't trust that director to make a watchable film.

the SFX look good however, but that's just eye candy.

What do other hardcore horror fans here say? or would they never be caught watching it in the 1st place? ;)

12. onebyone

onebyone Guest

They are too cool to see it, until they "somehow" end up seeing it free. They will hate it. So much. Then they will "somehow" end up getting the DVD free too, and they will think it's garbage. They'll keep it to umm, use as a coaster. Yeah, that's the ticket.

13. othervoice1

lol - guess i had that coming- I did sound a bit bitter in my earlier posting<:

14. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

Amen! :lol:

15. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Just came back from it, and while I liked it the movie wasn't what I'd consider re-watchable. Which is a shame because it was a pretty damn good execution of a very high concept. But perhaps that's what got the best of them? They spent all their time showing off the world they were in they didn't leave much for anything else. It felt like they goofed around alot and then when the timer went up they showed a home movie explaining it all and then ended it with a blood bath.

It's not like suddenly everything made sense and you had to watch it again to see how it all tied it, nore was it like nothing made entire sense and you'd have to watch it all again to understand it. Stuff just happens and then you're handed the plot in a few short minutes and it's over. Not much replay value. ;)

So I'm not quite sure why it didn't all add up for me... Maybe after I sleep on it I'll reconsider or maybe will watch it again to see how it all holds up. My friend who I saw it with is a big fan of the video games and perhaps maybe that's what spoiled it for me. He'd always laugh and triumphantly say "Yes" whenever a concept from the movie was executed and I think that took the experience away from me, like I didn't truelly "get it" since he found "it" so awesome what I found it just kinda neat.

16. rhett

rhett Administrator

I don't know if it entirely succeeds, but I applaud the film for being something of a rarity in the horror genre. I can't really recall a movie I've seen like it. It is not bound to conventional narrative like most horror movies, it is more a visual slapdash of horrific imagery and overwrought plotting. It isn't a film punctuated by jump scares and your standard scare formula. Instead, it just creates this mood and atmosphere, and just seeps you in it for two hours. The imagery is amazing, from the unsettling monsters to the ash strewn city. The sound design is even better, with an ominous combination of fog horns and grisly bone, crunching and moaning effects. A lot of it really lingers.

Most people have been giving the slap to Avary and his screenplay, but that might just be the most unique thing about the movie. It is unlike any other game adaptation in that it seems to embrace the structural qualities of a game over the narrative constraints of a movie. Like a game, the film meanders, it is as if you are just roaming around this world for an hour and a half until you stumble upon a FMV sequence explaining the backstory. It has a really loose and free feel to it, embracing the qualities that make games so involving.

More than that, it interestingly combines complex and metaphoric backstory with obvious and awkward lines and delivery. "There must have been a fire here!" one of the characters notes, which is glaringly obvious considering the entire city is filled with ash and all the boards in the building are torched to a crisp. While people in the theater were laughing at parts like this, the movie takes an interesting stance in that it plays those kind of klunky lines with total seriousness. So many of these great horror games like Resident Evil or House of the Dead, are filled with great plots on the whole, but terrible and obvious lines throughout. They take themselves seriously though, and so does SILENT HILL, embracing the structural qualities of video games without looking at them with the kitschy parody that a lot of these game remakes try to do.

The whole thing was a real surreal experience, and certainly one of the most ambitious horror movies to come out in quite some time. It wasn't afraid to embrace the darker qualities of horror right to the fantastically bleak final moments, and it did it in a manner that hasn't really been done before. This is a video game movie done right and not dumbed down for the A.D.D. stereotype that society seems to hold towards video gamers. This treats gamers with respect, and at the same time attempts to make a legitimate art form out of video game adaptations. The movie is overlong and not without flaws, but its ambition weighs out over everything else. Definitely worth a watch.

17. MorallySound

I just came back from SECOND helpings of Silent Hill. And I agree 100% with what Rhett says. The games were all about the atmosphere and so is the movie. Sure some of the dialogue is corny, but truth be told, all human beings are not Shakespears in real life either in the way we speak, now are we? Anyway, this movie was even better the second time around. There are so many layers to this movie that a second helping is needed to consume the whole plot (yes, there really is one there).

The ending works perfectly and makes sense. You just have to know what to look for (That's what the games were all about too, solving puzzles). The ending explained:
    What's the only way to bring someone back to a ghost town? Hmmm. Let's see. A ghost town is filled with ghosts. So that means they are dead. Therefore, that would mean that Rose, Sharron, and Cybil are dead. They all died in the jeep/motorcycle accidents. Sharron (Alessa) was beckoned back to finnish Alessa's revenge on Silent Hill, which has become a form of Purgatory and the alternate darkness is Hell for those who consumed the girl with fire. Hence why at the end of the movie both Rose and Sharron are still consumed by the fog when they arrive 'home'.
    That may be a bit heavy, but it works. Anyway, second time around it's a solid 5 out of 5 for me.

So there you have it, if rhett AND MorallySound say it's a gooder, it's a gooder. Maybe. Hahaha.

18. SirFarley

SirFarley Guest

I just got back a few hours ago from seeing it and this movie was perfect... I have been a huge fan of the series since part one was released back on PSX and this movie captured the feel so well... some of the camera angles made me so freaking excited because they seemed to be pulled right out of the games... and I thought the story was very good. I also like how the ending is sort of left up in the air and its not explained... just like in the games... the games always sort of left it up for debate... and I am hoping to see some alternate endings on the DVD, just like in the games.

Best movie of the year for me so far.

19. rhett

rhett Administrator

Good read on the ending, MS, it certainly is a complex one to try and tackle. Yours seems to be the best interpretation I've received on the whole thing, but just for an alternate perspective, here's my thoughts:

Since the whole film was so maternal and female-oriented, I took the ending as some sort of radical feminist message. Now, I wish the relationship between Radha Mitchell and Sean Bean had been better developed, but from the small snippets of the relationship shown, I got the sense that the two were nearing a break up, and Sharron was largely the reason why. It seemed that Bean was sick of her sleepwalking, but more importantly he seemed threatened by the close bond the mother/daughter had. He seemed totally distant, and Mitchell seemed to want to go to Silent Hill for reasons more than to just help Sharron. It seemed like she needed an out, since she virtually just up and left Bean.

So when Bean is sitting at home alone, it is almost as if he comes to the realization that Sharron and Rose are lost to him. They've left him, they are nothing but ghosts to him. Usually, in a feminist empowerment movie, such an outcome for the cold male husband would be looked at as a desirable one, but here it comes through as quite cold. When Rose and Sharron sit at home in the fog, it has a melancholic and depressing aura about it. Silent Hill was a place ran by women, and the movie almost seems to suggest that the male-female bond is the only happy equilibrium that is desirable. The whole reason for the entire Silent Hill nonsense to begin with was the fact that Alessa's dad could never be identified to the villagers. So without the partriarch, Silent Hill went into ruin, and without Bean being with Rose, their family too, will suffer a similar decay.

The ending is one of those great moments of horror ambiguity, where the labours of a complex and allegorical script come to a head. Everything all comes together for the end, but what exactly the end means is one that is open to a multitude of interpretations. Considering how intricate and convoluted the story is, a singal be-all-end-all interpretation would not do the story justice. What Avary intended I don't know, but he certainly opened a can of worms!

Puddy, as for the whole "cult" thing, I thought that was quite interesting. Seemed to cleverly single out the biggotry of religious fanatics, and the whole flashback montage was one of amazing technical craft. Made for some brutal deaths too, so even as just a murder device it works. I can't see the movie working without all the exposition of the cult. Without the flashbacks there would be a significant piece of the puzzle missing, without the speech by the zealot the whole biggotry angle would be ruined and without the
    Alessa attack afterwards
    there wouldn't be a payoff. So really, I can't see where any of that stuff could have been cut. Does it make sense 100% of the time? No, but it certainly makes for subversive, mind-bending entertainment.

20. SirFarley

SirFarley Guest

Oh yes... I LOVED the flashback... the filters used their blew me away... it just fit so perfectly and I was glad they did it that way.