SLEEPAWAY CAMP, EVILSPEAK, FINAL EXAM & More from Shout Factory in May 2014

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by bruce h, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Paul_s

Paul_s Member

not watched SC for quite a number of years so good to revisit once again last night :) The transfer is solid.

Not so sure on some of the bonus features - what is the music video all about :nervous: The making of documentary is good though!

2. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I didn't enjoy any of the bonus material to be honest, except for the trailer. The main doco wasn't really engaging enough as none of the stories were that interesting. Evilspeak had way better stuff that was awesome and interesting. The short film was meh and the music video was ok but I was hoping for something old school. The 2k process feature seemed interesting but it was put together horribly and was less interesting and more boring which was a shame.

The film itself looked great. That bright scene everyone has mentioned should have been fixed but oh well. I showed my film to my girlfriend for the first time and to my surprise she loved it and had no idea who the killer was till the very end which was refreshing to see. :)

3. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

That music video was fucking terrible...I bet it was some agreement Shout! did to get an interview. The doc was great as well as the 2K feature....they should show that process on every film they get scanned.

Transfer looked great as already everyone knows.

4. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

5. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

6. Harrycanyon

Harrycanyon Banned Mofo

They did awesome with Sleepaway Camp on a quality 2K scan with detail like you never seen before and finally uncut unlike the Anchor Bay DVD and the PQ is fab with the soundtrack too. SC has been one of my fave slasher films of mine for 22 years and it has never looked this good before.

Kudos to Scream! FE is an ok slasher film but it did look good on it's new HD transfer no doubt and Evilspeak which i always liked looks decent.

7. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

So, I watched Evilspeak again last night, this time the Shout Factory Blu Ray. Have to say I enjoyed it a lot more than the '04 viewing. Can't really say why I didn't like it back then, but I don't think it was due to the slow pace. My guess is that it was probably because the movie is just so dumb (c'mon, admit it, it is). Especially a lot of the computer stuff. It might explain why 198x Paff (who was quite the computer nerd) liked it, but then it just looks so outdated now.

I was able to look past a lot of that this time though, and instead I liked the performances a lot more, plus some of the nastiness in the final reel. Clint Howard is especially good...I like the scene where he asks for the dog. Seriously though, did that ending come out of nowhere or what?? It's sort of like that Simpsons episode..."And the children learned to get along until one day they were saved by....I dunno....let's say....Moe"

8. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

paff, seen this as a 10 year on HBO in june of 83, and it blew me away. Didn't realize at the time what I was watching was a heavy edited version of the film and it still worked. Then I rented it on video when I was like 19 and was like, dag, this didn't seem like the same movie I seen 9 years early. It looked really dated by then.. and I could tell it was chopped.. So movies are better left in the past. Same thing with The Burning, seen it on movie channel a year later and was blown away. rented 10 years later and it was chopped and didn't date well..

9. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

So what you're saying is....the movie is dated?... :confused:

~Matt

10. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

It didn't date well.

11. gobad2003

gobad2003 Well-Known Member

:lol: Ronnie says that about every movie that's older than 10 years:rolleyes:

12. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

Who gives a fuck if the style of a movie is dated. I feel the period of a film's dating not working well wears off after 20 or so years anyway. Loved Identity, but it didn't work when I watched it last year. It'll regain its strength when the general film goals take a different route in 10 years and stops trying to one-up the previous decade, as it has done for the past 100 years.

13. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

14. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Yes and no.

Yes, a movie will be dated in several years no matter what, but no because you can also hasten a movie's aging by heaping on the current references. One of the examples I cite is the Carrie sequel from '99. It's actually not a bad movie, but one thing that struck me was a scene where Rachel and her boyfriend were talking about music, and they referenced the band Garbage. Yeah, unless the band you're referring to has the effect of the Beatles (and Garbage certainly didn't), it's gonna date the film really fast. And you don't have to include a scene like that.

Computers can really date a film too, and that's an issue with Evilspeak. Again, it might have been the reason I didn't like it as much in '04 as I did back in the 80s. And it was something I had to look past this time, which I did, making it a bit more enjoyable. Another great example of computers dating a film (other than WarGames) is GoldenEye. There's a scene where the Russian girl goes into a computer store demanding a top-end computer. She's saying things like "4 Megabytes of RAM, and a 33K Modem!". It's kind of a funny scene now...

15. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

A question on Evilspeak, does anyone know which release is better: Shout Factory or 88 Films? I didn't find any reviews of the 88 Films release. There may be something buried in the 88 Films thread on Blu-ray.com, but I don't remember seeing anything.

Kim Bruun likes this.
  16. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I have both, and the 88 Films release has a slightly better encode... but they don't look vastly different. The Shout disc has optional English subs for the film, where the 88 Films disc offers none.

The 88 disc does have the much longer "Extended Cut" (albeit in SD) in the special features on the disc, and the Shout disc lacks that. That's the main draw and the reason why I double dipped again. I'm pretty sure it's just copied from the older "UK" Anchor Bay DVD release, but I had never purchased that edition.

The 88 release also includes the older commentary from the older "US" Anchor Bay DVD, which is missing on the Shout Factory Blu-ray... that one has the newer director's commentary moderated by Bill of Code Red. :eek:

Plus, the 88 Films release also comes with a limited O-Ring Slipcover (it feels velvety) on the first pressing. There's a YouTube video of that and the inner reversible coverart:

So it depends, both releases have their pluses and minuses.

17. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Thanks for that Kat.

18. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Thanks so much for all of your feedback! I am going to buy the 88 Films release in my next Amazon UK order. Something tells me the commentary track with Bill may very well make my head explode. Besides, the UK release sounds like the better presentation as far as I'm concerned.

Katatonia likes this.
  19. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

I can't stand Bill and could barely listen to the newer track. The older one with the director and clint howard is great!

20. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Agreed, I've tried listening in on some of the commentary tracks that he's moderated on releases and I just find it taxing to even listen to them. The older commentary is far superior.