Sleepless visions!

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by slinker, Apr 14, 2002.

1. slinker

slinker Un-Holy Force.

Watched my new DVD of `Sleepless` last night...wow that movie was way cool, several elements from his previous films combined into a very refreshing giallo, i loved it and was pretty impressed by the amount of violence too i didnt expect it to be quite so vicious :D theres some fantastic scenes and i really can rate this as much as some of his other classics! :) what did other Argento lovers think??

2. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

What about that scene with the musical instrument? That might very well be the most brutal scene Argento has ever shot.

As a whole I thought the film was quite good, and the ending was more interesting then that of your average giallo. I don't know about the claims that it is Argento's "...return to form." though. I saw "The Stendhal Syndrome" a while back and thought it was a bit disjointed but a fine effort none-the-less. I'll have to watch it again someday and see if things mesh a little better.

I think "Sleepless" (however good it was) was an easy way out of what many thought to be a slump. I mean, how can Dario Argento go wrong with a giallo film?

3. Lindane

Lindane Guest

I liked it a lot. I was a little dissapointed with the ending however. The killer was a fucking geek. I was truly hoping it wasn't going to be him. I loved the murder scenes though. Those shits were ruff!!! That flute bashing scene was the illest! The shot through the head at the end was very good too. I rewound it 3 or 4 times.:D

4. hell ya!

hell ya! ~Go ahead, make my day~

Great movie:D

5. "I mean, how can Dario Argento go wrong with a giallo film?"

Credit where credit's due, think of it this way did anybody say "I mean, how can Francis Ford Coppola go wrong with a Godfather film?"

The amount of once great directors** who now churn out turds by the handfull is far from small and I for one am impressed that after the abortion that was Phontom of the Opera, DA still has it in spades.

** John Carpenter, Michael Mann, Martin Scorsese (I hope Gangs of NY will be his comeback from the abyss (Condun, Bringing out the Dead) and prove me wrong but that halfwit Leonardo hardly fills me with confidence) Brian DePalma (again I have great hope for Femme Fetale) Terry Gilliam, Billy Friedkin (probably the ultimate example makes two of the best films ever 'period' Exorcist & French Connection) then goes to bed, Luc Besson (however much Hollywood increased the budget as long as he included Chris Tucker, it was not enough), John 'The Long Good Friday' McKenzie, Nic Roeg, etc, etc!!!

6. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Re: Re: Sleepless visions!

I believe we've had this conversation before, but The Stendhal Syndrome meshes VERY well upon subsequent viewings. It seems like two separate movies the first time you see it, but when you watch it again, you'll notice how everything in the first half is setting up the second half.

And Vitameatavegemin, don't sell Leonardo DiCaprio short. Yes, he did star in the awfully written Titanic, but he's actually had some good performances in several other films. It's too bad he's most noted for his worst job. Even though he's a pretty boy, that doesn't mean he's not a good actor who we can enjoy even though we're not 15-year old girls. See: Brad Pitt (12 Monkeys, Seven, Fight Club, True Romance, Snatch....all "guy" movies)

Back on topic, I like Sleepless a whole lot. Not as much as Stendhal, but a lot more than Trauma.

7. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

I'm not not accusing Argento of taking the easy way out of anything, though I do think the kind of movies he was making were not what most his audience wanted to see. So the giallo film was an abvious way for him to "redeem himself" so to speak.

Over the years Argento's status as a great director of thrillers grew in the industry, and then he wanted to do something a bit different for a change. I think Argento really wanted to make films like "Phantom of the Opera" and "The Stendhal Syndrome" for a change, but they didn't go over so well.

I DO remember that conversation Paff, and actualy you got me to think about the film a bit more. I'll definately want to watch that one again sometime down the road. I own the Troma disc, and the picture quality is just plain awful. Does the LD look any better?

8. AlkanFan

AlkanFan Guest

The transfer on Troma's Stendhal was taken from the LD if I'm not mistaken.