So how are faux 3-D movies?

Discussion in 'General' started by rijir, Dec 29, 2009.

1. rijir

rijir Member

Okay. So now the trend is 3-D movies. I'm fine with that. It seems like about 50% of all movies in production now are going to be in 3-D. But they were not filmed with 2 cameras. Some like the new Robin Hood are going to be converted in post production. I haven't seen any examples of this process. I think I heard that they re-released a Nightmare Before Christmas a few years ago with this conversion process. How does this look? I just cant image it will look as good as true 3-D. And to me it boggles the mind why, if you are planning on 3-D, why wouldn't you just film with two cameras right from the start?

Thoughts????

2. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Some of the recent 3-D upgrades I felt got very little from the process (apart from inflated ticket prices that is).In the case of NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS however I felt the conversion looked very good and gave the film a great sense of depth.Perhaps the fact that the film was made in stop motion made it ''pop'' more,I don't know,but I was quite pleased with it.

3. ekent

ekent The Lord's Arm of Justice

North California, South Alabam, and little towns a
    I have my fingers crossed for the Dawn of the Dead 3D that is supposed to be on the way. When Peter points the gun @ Flyboy and says "Scary, isn't it?" had better look awesome! Erick's description of Nightmare Before Christmas gives me hope!

4. rijir

rijir Member

This is what puzzles me. We heard about DOTD 3-D quite a while ago and no updates. I wonder if it is still happening.

I want to see an example of this technique they are using to create this new 3-D.

5. ekent

ekent The Lord's Arm of Justice

North California, South Alabam, and little towns a
    Apparently Romero has seen some test shots and says it looks great.

6. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Nightmare Before Christmas looks awesome in 3d. It wasn't gimmicky, but rather, added dimension to the movie.