Something Weird Returns w/ Image Entertaiment

Discussion in 'General' started by X-human, Oct 23, 2010.

1. joltaddict

joltaddict New Member

No The Child then. :( Im a sad panda.

2. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Thought I'd share this:
    http://thelatarniaforums.yuku.com/topic/9685/BASKET-CASE-info-from-Frank-Henenlotter

And I hope everyone stocked up on VHS and Novak because they're gone-gone.

3. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

4. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

Pre-records or just blanks?
    I still love finding new, shrink-wrapped pre-records for peanuts.

5. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Frank Henenlotter was on the radio show My Castle of Quiet, a recording of which you can hear streaming here: http://wfmu.org/playlists/shows/39352

Frank revealed the following:
    - Herschell Gordon Lewis' Blood Trilogy (Blood Feast/Two Thousand Maniacs!/Color Me Blood Red) and Frank Henenlotter's own Basket case are scheduled for an October release on Blu-ray.
    - Basket Case will be transferred from the just recently found long lost negative for the first time on home video.
    - There are more boxsets in the works.

Sounds very cool and looks to be a crowed October as Shout! Factory has some plans for Halloween as well.

6. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

The Blood Trilogy Blu-Ray has been announced!!!!:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=6614

"Image Entertainment will release Herschell Gordon Lewis' The Blood Trilogy on Blu-ray this fall. A collection of three of the "Godfather of Gore's" most notorious horror films, this set will include Blood Feast, Two Thousand Maniacs, and Color Me Blood Red.

Image has not issued any details on the technical specifications or supplemental features for this collection; check back later for further information.

Amazon is currently selling The Blood Trilogy for $12.49. Click here to view its pre-order listing.

The Blood Trilogy streets on September 27th, 2011."

7. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

That's awesome news

8. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

9. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

Wow, I wouldn't upgrade, but if SWV keeps that sort of pricing on Blu-ray for all their titles, I might be signed up. Terrific price point to move some copies of films I'd otherwise not touch. I highly doubt they'll look any better than DVD, obviously, but still.

10. Zombie Keeper

Zombie Keeper New Member

Great news.

11. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

Stupidly I traded away the blood trilogy, so I'm very happy that this set is coming out not only that I never did get the dvd version of Basket case.

12. Stige

Stige Well-Known Member

I have the blood trilogy, just wondering how much movies made ages ago for the cost of a root beer and ham sandwich will benefit at all from higher resolution? I'll probably end up buying it anyway but just wondering...

13. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

I guess it just depends on the shape of the master & the tools at hand. But I mean it can't look any worse right?

14. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

http://fangoria.com/index.php?optio...hg-lewis-discs&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=167

"Frank Henenlotter has become one of horror’s most valuable players for both his own features like BASKET CASE and bringing past classics like BLOOD FEAST to DVD under the Something Weird label. Now he’s got both those titles and more coming to Blu-ray, and discussed them with Fango.

Image Entertainment has both BASKET CASE and THE BLOOD TRILOGY, consisting of Herschell Gordon Lewis’ BLOOD FEAST, TWO THOUSAND MANIACS! and THE GORE GORE GIRLS, coming on the hi-def format September 27. The latter ties in with Image’s DVD release the same day of Henenlotter’s documentary HERSCHELL GORDON LEWIS: THE GODFATHER OF GORE. The impetus to get his debut feature about Duane Bradley and his monstrous basket-dwelling brother Belial onto Blu-ray was Henenlotter’s discovery of the original negatives a couple of years back. “I’ve had the negative the whole time, but it was mislabeled, so I didn’t know I had it,” he tells us. It really has been lost all these years; otherwise, I would have gone with it on the first DVD! But it was a little complicated because I shot BASKET CASE on 16mm, so this was the 16mm camera negative, and that’s A and B roll. So it was a little more difficult to process it; we had to find the right lab to do it, and then piece it together on the computer. What’s great now is that even if the color has turned on something, who cares? You can get it back.”

And not back to the way BASKET CASE appeared when it was shown theatrically, but back to his original intentions. “I always hated how the film looked,” Henenlotter says. “I couldn’t stand watching BASKET CASE, because we did the cheapest, junkiest 16-to-35mm blow-up on the planet. It had unnecessary grain, it was full of dirt…it was just horrible! It was so dark that it looked like I shot the film without lights, but I remember that when I was shooting, it was bright and colorful. So I was happy to go back to that camera negative and finally make the film look like it did when I shot it.”

As with TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE and other low-budget horror favorites that have been restored in the digital era, there will be those who say that BASKET CASE’s initial grubby appearance was part of its charm, and that it shouldn’t look too clean. “I know that,” Henenlotter notes, “but that was never the intention, you know? I shot it in 1.33:1 full frame, yet it always played in 1.85.” He originally considered presenting it on Blu-ray in the latter ratio, “adjusting the frames whenever it needed, because I didn’t want to cut the tops of heads off,” but the disc will present the movie in the original 1.33:1. The sound has been spiffed up to DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, and the special features will include:

• New video introduction by Henenlotter

• Audio commentary by Henenlotter, producer Edgar Ievins and actress Beverly Bonner

• Rare outtakes and behind-the-scenes footage

• 2001 IN SEARCH OF THE HOTEL BROSLIN video short

• Gallery of BASKET CASE exploitation art and behind-the-scenes photos

• Two theatrical trailers, plus TV spot

• Two rare BASKET CASE radio spots

Retail price is $17.97, as it is for the BLOOD TRILOGY Blu-ray, for which Henenlotter also oversaw the hi-def remastering of the Lewis trio, with DTS-HD Master Audio soundtracks. The extras here will be:

• Audio commentary on each movie by Lewis and producer David F. Friedman

• Outtakes

• CARVING MAGIC with William Kerwin and Harvey Korman

• Theatrical trailers for each movie

• Galleries of exploitation art

For the behind-the-scenes story on these and many other Lewis flicks, check out the GODFATHER OF GORE documentary, in which Lewis, Friedman, many of their collaborators and other exploitation luminaries explore the complete saga of Lewis’ film career, from his early “nudie cuties” through his pioneering splatter work. This one will be supplemented by:

• Over an hour of deleted scenes

• Rare Lewis short: HOT NIGHT AT THE GO-GO LOUNGE

• H.G. Lewis trailer reel

• Gallery of H.G. Lewis exploitation art

Retail price is $14.98. Of that additional material, Henenlotter says, “I saved more than an hour’s worth of footage that I never really edited. I just did a rough assemblage, and I thought, ‘Ah, rather than throw it out, I’ll just put it on the DVD.’ You know, the first thing I cut from the film was almost all the shots of me. That was the first thing I cut, to get me outta this thing!” Henenlotter talks in depth about THE GODFATHER OF GORE in Fango #304, now on sale, and he has still more new projects to talk about; check back tomorrow for his comments on those!"

15. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

So do these include every extra that was on their DVD releases?

16. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Hennelotter's doc on H.G. Lewis "The Godfather of Gore" streets September 27th, 2011.

Pre-order on Amazon: http://amzn.to/imtA7r

17. sumo8675309

sumo8675309 Active Member

18. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I'm going to pre-order this (Basket Case that is). Here's hoping it's region free.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  19. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

I'm looking forward to these

20. X-human

X-human I ate my keys