Sorority Row - New Clip

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by maskull, Aug 21, 2009.

1. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

2. CrazyFatEthel

CrazyFatEthel New Member

No, that didnt look shitty at all....ugh....

3. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Yeah. Maybe I'll just rent it.

4. rhett

rhett Well-Known Member

What, nobody watched this? I went in with low expectations but was pretty surprised by this. It was very old school - a nice solid R with frequent language, plenty of casual nudity and a few nasty kills. The script was full of wit too, with every scene always offering a laugh at the expense of the vapid characters. Yet, the movie never got too jokey or too close to breaking the fourth wall. The opening prank was a great throwback that definitely took it a step (or two, even) further than the original. The killer resolve was pretty weak, but other than that it was good fun all around. Great cinematography, too. Recommended.

5. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Well-Known Member

* not enough sleaze
    * who writes these dialogues?

still, this doesn't seem to be too bad

6. rhett

rhett Well-Known Member

Not enough sleaze?! Practically one of the first lines in the movie is "What's not to like about roofies, you get fucked AND get a good night's sleep!" as the guy feels up a drunk co-ed!

7. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

I'll be seeing it Sunday, which has sort of become my regular day for theater viewings. Glad to hear good things from a fellow slasher fan. At the very least, I hope Margo Harshman's role is a sizable one.

8. rhett

rhett Well-Known Member

She has quite a bit of screen time and is pretty acerbic. Come end of the year she'll probably still hold the crown for sleaziest horror moment in a mainstream picture.

9. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Looks like a nice throwback to eighties slasher films, it actually looks much better than I thought it would be. A good alternative to the outrageously bloody shitfests that sacrifice plot for gore.

10. CrazyFatEthel

CrazyFatEthel New Member

Im either seeing this or The Final Destination today...:)

11. horrorlover

horrorlover Active Member

I saw this movie yesterday, and it's pretty good I thought. It seemed in many ways like an 80's slasher, but it was updated somewhat too so it seems modern as well.

12. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

I was going to run this down on Thursday night, since their was an early review in Fangoria that was pretty positive. They said pretty much what Rhett mentioned. Then, on Thursday, I'm reading the review on Dread Central and they say just the opposite. Then, my girlfriend wants me to come home after work because she hasn't seen me all day (and won't see me until Friday night, at this point). So, that coupled with the review, basically convinced me to skip it. Then, the next day, I start reading other reviews and they agree with Fangoria. I just can't win. I probably won't see this until it hits Blu-ray / DVD at this point. Usually, if I don't run a movie down, I end up skipping it in theatres (even though I can see it for free). I just don't like watching movies with an audience. There's a chance that you get a cool audience but, usually, they talk and use their cell phones. Plus, I can never put the volume as loud as I like it, unless I watch it privately, after work.

13. rhett

rhett Well-Known Member

Well, looks like the bottom has fallen out on the horror market this fall - and we're not even in October yet! Halloween II opened decent but has had some severe dropoffs, while this week's two horror offerings, Sorority Row and Whiteout hardly even registered a blip. It looks like Sorority Row will hardly make 4 million this weekend. Other than the inexplicably growing market for the Final Destination movies, all the others, Sorority especially, are fighting for some pretty small scraps.

14. CrazyFatEthel

CrazyFatEthel New Member

Im about to see Sorority Row, I'll post thoughts later!!!:D

15. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

I want to see this...maybe I will try and catch it after work on Tuesday. Hopefully a five o'clock-ish show will be free of the type of fuck-tards I typically spend my day waiting on.

16. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

I saw Sorority Row earlier today and enjoyed it. Definitely a throwback to '80s slashers. I was quite surprised by the amount of nudity in it, you usually don't see that in mainstream horror these days. :D My only complaint was the ending (killer's identity), but other than that, it was good. I will be picking it up on blu-ray.

17. horrorlover

horrorlover Active Member

I think the lack of random nudity is something that they need to remedy for modern horror ;) I think it adds a level of fun to the films of the 80's. I can't quite say why random nudity makes horror films better, but it usually seems to. Maybe I'm just a perve lol

18. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Yea get ready for more and more 3-D horror- it is the moneymaking gimmick of the moment and The Final Destination has proven that. I like the 3-D as long as it doesnt start a trend of DTV type horror being thrown to the mainstream theatre with 3-D attached to it to make money. That is what The Final Destination seemed to be. The 3-D made it somewhat fun but the movie itself was a bit of a bore and just seemed like a DTV quality flick.

19. kiddvideo

kiddvideo New Member

20. CrazyFatEthel

CrazyFatEthel New Member

So, I saw this last night with REALLY low expectations. And I have to say I was pleasently surprised!! I loved how the movie didnt try to take itself too seriously. About a 7.5 out of 10 because of the lame ass ending.