Stephen Monroe's I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE 2 (2013) from Anchor Bay 9/24

Discussion in 'General' started by bruce h, Jun 26, 2013.

1. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

It looks like Anchor Bay made enough money off the remake to pony up for a sequel. Director Stephen Monroe returns with a new tale of revenge; has anyone heard anything about it? I thought the remake was pretty decent (and I got to see it theatrically -- Baltimore was one of seven cities in the U.S. to actually screen it!) so I'll give this one a shot. I can't find a trailer yet, but here are some plot details from Fango:

Naturally beautiful, Jessica (Dallender) has just settled into New York where she, like many other young women, is trying to make it as a model. But what starts out as an innocent and simple photo shoot soon turns into something disturbingly unthinkable! Raped, tortured and kidnapped to a foreign country, Jessica is buried alive and left to die. Against all odds, she manages to escape. Severely injured, she will have to tap into the darkest places of the human psyche to not only survive, but to exact her revenge…

Preorders now up for 9/24:
    DVD: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...eASIN=B00DMUFXOS&linkCode=as2&tag=cinema09-20
    Blu: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...eASIN=B00DMUFYZQ&linkCode=as2&tag=cinema09-20

[​IMG]

2. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

well, that description is sleazy enough to get my attention. i hate to say it, but i'd watch this. i'd feel bad about it afterwards (and probably not tell anybody i know in real life about it), but i'd watch it.

3. ThisEvilBastard

ThisEvilBastard Banned Mofo

I liked the original 70's I Spit on Your Grave film I thought it was a well done film that is more of a woman empowerment film then Aliens. Then the remake comes along and didn't have any likable characters and was pure trash. Now I'll eventually will see this I believe that it will be more like the original and I don't understand why and how their will ever be a Rape/Revenge sequel. All of the characters died besides the Victim.So this really has no need to be called I Spit on Your Grave anything.

4. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

its the same reason Bava's Shock was marketed as Beyond the Door Part II - name recognition and money. its a completely unrelated film with a similar theme, and in order to get more people to see it, they're calling it a sequel. they may shoe-horn in a reference to characters or events in the first, or they may not.

5. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

One of the things I love about the original film is the atmosphere. Subject matter aside, there's a bizzare sense of Americana to it. It has that homegrown feel of movies like Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Last House On The Left, and Friday The 13th.

That said, I really detest the idea of taking it to a foreign country. Makes it seem more like Hostel or Turistas.

I wasn't a big fan of the remake, but I did think it had atmosphere. The problem was the girl becomes this cold supernatural killing machine, losing the vulnerability and morality that Camille Keaton brought to the role.

I'm definitely intrigued and will be seeing it, but I can't say I'm impressed with what I'm hearing so far.

6. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

I actually prefer the remake to the original so I'm interested in seeing this.

7. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I watched the original, I watched the remake, I'll watch the sequel to the remake.

8. Eddyw78

Eddyw78 Member

I own hoth the original and remake on Blu so just out of interest i will see this although like someone has already commented on it will not feel like a Spit On Yoir Grave movie if it is taken away from America. Kind of like the new Die Hard being set in Russia.

9. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

I have tried but I cannot find sense in your post...

If she gets raped and then kills the guys how can this not be a rape/revenge flick???

Aliens wins easily the "woman empowerment" topic.... I Spit was a woman against a bunch of rednecks while Aliens was a woman against hordes of Aliens plus Queen Alien. Also, I Spit had a skinny normal woman motivated by revenge, while Aliens had a woman motivated by ultimate survival in a fearful hostile planet. Come to think of it, I didn´t find anything that draws both movies in the same comparison.

Now if you compare "woman empowerment" between "I Spit" and "Mrs. 45" that is a different matter.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  10. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

I'm with ya

11. Undeadcow

Undeadcow New Member

I'm down for a thrash remake sequel.
    It's not a matter of a woman beating people up in some popcorn action sequence; there's a more existential component. You can't reclaim yourself just by killing people. ISOYG original is about a woman being exploited and kept down due to sexuality then becoming a master of her own sexuality to not just extract revenge but also reaffirm herself as a woman in control of herself and her world. In part she learns to use her sexuality as a weapon instead of a liability. Also, the retarded rapist brings up interesting issues of agency; if he is actually responsible for his actions or not. Men as enslaved ti sexuality as much as women sometimes enslaved by sexuality and ISOYG really develops some interesting ideas. There's a lot of subtlety to ISOYG; if nothing else give the Joe Bob Briggs commentary a list... it's the best commentary I've heard yet and helps flesh out a lot of the depth to ISOYG original.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  12. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

13. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

14. The Tall Man

The Tall Man Member

After watching that trailer I think the movie should be renamed to I Spit On Your Hostel.

15. rhett

rhett Administrator

Don't really like the foreign country angle they're taking with this, but I'm in based on what Monroe did with the remake. The remake was TENSE, had a very natural and direct aesthetic that made the torment so much more palpable. He got a great performance out of his lead, and I think the remake was in all respects a much better film technically as well as with its politics than Zarchi's sleazy original. Skipping out on the trailer to go in fresh, as I try to do with everything these days.

16. The Tall Man

The Tall Man Member

A pleasant surprise. This did not feel like a direct to dvd movie at all. The foreign country angle plays well and is an integral part of the story. A convincing performance from the lead victim. The kills are original for this kind of story and the last kill itself is one of the most brutal you will see, hard to watch in fact without squirming in your seat. Worth a watch for sure and if you like the original and the remake you will not be disappointed with this entry into the genre.

17. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

I liked it as well. Not as much as the remake but a well made rape/revenge film with some pretty effective moments.

18. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Wow, I didn't realize this was out yet.

19. CrazyFatEthel

CrazyFatEthel New Member

This sounds more Thriller than ISOYG

20. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Watched this tonight and it was pretty brutal! That last kill had me looking away. Yikes!