Super 8 (J.J. Abrams)

Discussion in 'General' started by MorallySound, May 7, 2010.

1. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

It looks like your basic Spielbergian "And a child shall lead them..." tale, where the children are all in threatening-but-never-life-threatening situations and will discover the secret to saving the day before any adult does (the adults will perish, of course, but never if top-billed).

High octane, disposable summer fun, but it feels well tread.

/late-in-the-week cynicsm

2. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Saw it last night and it was great. It screamed 80s movie not just with its setting, but also the characters and the tone of the film. It's honestly a perfect "family" horror film like The Monster Squad or Gremlins. There are still stakes and scares, but it maintains a sense of fun and adventure throughout. My favorite movie Abrams has made and my favorite so far this year. Everyone complains that things aren't like the good old days in horror anymore, well this is like the good old days and every horror fan should be checking it out.

3. Vortex

Vortex Member

Lame movie. The train crash is beyond ridiculous, and so is the
    guy who crashed head on into it surviving.
    The attempts at humor aren't funny, the characters aren't interesting and the
    lead kid's little chat with the alien at the end is laughable.
    Creature design was alright though.

4. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

You can't honestly believe that. The film is fantastic and, while I don't expect everyone to worship at its alter, if you went into the film expecting it to be what it is- JJ's homage to Spielberg's glory days of Jaws, ET and Close Encounters- and claim to be disappointed then you are just doing so for the sake of being contrary.

5. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

It's very enjoyable and definitely has that retro 80s film vibe. I thought all the kids were fantastic actors and made their characters very interesting. My only critique would be I'm not sure how successfully the film rides the line between Spielberg-ian youthful fantasy and Abrams-ian adult horrors.

While much of the kids' interplay is reminiscent of "The Goonies" and "ET," its often set against truly terrifying sequences recalling "Alien," "Jurassic Park" and "The Crazies." I don't have kids but I'd be reluctant to them go see this. And I had a hard time feeling love/sympathy for the alien at the end after it had killed a good chunk of the townsfolk. True, he wasn't there by choice and was just surviving, but it made the "ET" ending feel unearned. That, and the fact that the alien is introduced VERY late in the movie.

Despite my quibbles, I had a great time and would definitely see it again. I can't imagine any fan of 80s sci-fi/fantasy/horror wouldn't enjoy it on some level.

6. Vortex

Vortex Member

Oh, I believe it. After the whole train crash segment, I was ready to leave the theater and only stayed because I was with a friend. The chat I mentioned was just as bad. Just because they're all self-aware with the other kid saying "Wait... WHAT?" doesn't make it any less stupid. And yeah, the humor's great. Let's show a kid projectile vomiting when he's in danger. So funny!

7. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

I took my family to see it yesterday and we all liked it. My kids, all boys ages 9 through 13, loved it actually and were talking about it way after we left the movie theater, something they don't do very often. I like the fact that the movie does feel like something that could have came out in the 80s.

I will be picking this up on blu-ray for sure!

8. Dobby

Dobby Banned Mofo

Getting ready to watch this flick. I have very very low expectations for this. Will give my 2 cents after I watch it.

9. FilmFiend

FilmFiend New Member

I live in Ohio, and Super 8 was filmed in Weirton, WV ( at least a lot of it from what I understand) across the Ohio River from me. It's only about 10 minutes away.

Weirton just had a big Super 8 parade recently and they left all of the 1970'/80's looking prop signs on the buildings for the occasion. They somehow got Chilly Billy Cardille to show up too. It was really a good little boost to an area that is fast becoming a ghost town every year. Since the steel mills have been nearly shut down so many people are leaving the Ohio/WV/PA tri-state area.

They also had a special premiere of the movie too at the local mall. I think there were only 150 tickets available through a lottery system. Ryan Lee who played Carey I think was there too and he did a q&A session with the audience. He also signed autographs and took pictures with fans.

JJ Abrams did not attend, but had sent a special video stating that he knew the Weirton, WV setting was exactly perfect for the type of movie he wanted to shoot.

I haven't seen the movie myself yet. It just seems too "family friendly" to me.

My favorite local fimed movie is "Stage Struck" with Gloria Swanson that was shot in New Martinsville, WV back in '25. :)

Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  10. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

I've only seen the poster...and I was a little shocked at the similarities to ET. Should I wait for video?

11. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

Well, there's gotta be a contrarian in every group.
    Intentional or not, it looks like you are it.;)

12. Dobby

Dobby Banned Mofo

This movie was just a big train wreck. Saw it for free so I can't complain too much.

13. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

It was very subpar I also got a free pass, so that was okay.
    ending wants to be E.T. so badly, and how many Spielberg-related flicks have ended this way...even Crystal Skull

14. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Of the ones who didnĀ“t like the movie, how many of you grew up on classic movies like E.T., Close Encounters, Gremlins, The Goonies, Lost Boys and The Monster Squad?

15. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Caught Super 8 last night and loved it. To all the people complaining it's too Spielbergian, or borrowing a lot from his early fare like E.T., did you guys not clue in that it's an homage to that era of filmmaking? Hell, the film opens with the Amblin identifier. That's like saying "House of 1000 Corpses was too Hooperian".

I though Super 8 did a great job of balancing the homage to those early Spielberg and Amblin films (which I grew up on) while maintaining an original and entertaining take on the stranded alien film. The cast was great, the action was thrilling (while a little over the top at some points [but really, the same could be said for The Goonies, etc., but we all love those flicks and no ones complaining]), the creature design was unique and well thought out, and the best part was it was like those old PG 'family' flicks before the PG-13 existed where it blurs the line between should this have been PG or R fare, such as Gremlins, where at its core it is a family film but there are elements of language, violence, and horror that would give kids nightmares. Hell, I jumped a few times myself.

Overall, Super 8 exceeded my expectations. I went in knowing it was an homage to films I loved as a kid and was gladly surprised when I was taken back to the feeling of watching those films while it also brought a fresh take that successfully built both adventure and suspense. Abrams' has crafted a fantastic summer film that feels like the filmmaking of the late 70's/early 80's, where we had high concept family films that still managed to incorporate realistic family drama and manage to serve up some danger and genuine scares as well. The only complaint I have is the 'J.J. Abrams lens flares', while no where near as prevalent as I imagine they are as in the Star Trek reboot (I've only seen the trailer), the few scenes they do show up in Super 8 they are distracting and really do not need to be there. Other than that, I can't find anything I didn't enjoy about the film, it took me back to those childhood days when you first discovered E.T. or Jaws or Close Encounters of the Third Kind or The Goonies, etc.

Highly recommended if you also grew up on the same fare. Or if not, still give it a shot and don't over analyze it. ;)

16. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Is it worth a Netflix rental?

17. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

I saw this last night and had a lot of fun with it. Sure it's no master piece, there was one particular moment that broke my suspension of disbelief:

When the dr. crashed his truck into the train and managed to survive.

Other than that I thought it was a great little homage to early Spielberg, and was a lot more flesh out character wise than a lot of other summer blockbuster movies. If you go in with an open mind you should find it at the very least entertaining.

8/10

18. Dobby

Dobby Banned Mofo

That all depends on your personal preference. To me this entire movie was a waste of film, time and energy. I'd say if you enjoy CGi pukefests you will love it. I couldn't find a single redeeming quality to even remotely recommend this. Still you should sit back and watch everyone's reviews poor in. Then you may be in for a surprise or two. Remember for everything that sucks balls there is millions of deep throaters that will say I love it!

19. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I managed to catch a matinee today. It's a competent movie. And it's heart is in the right place. But overall I found it uninspired and underwhelming. It's enjoyable enough as disposable entertainment. But it lacks the magic of the films it channels.

I knew going in that it was going to be derivative of some of the other films mentioned above. But the homages are so clumsy and omnipresent that they eventually detracted from my enjoyment of the film. Too many scenes reminded me of similar ones in better movies--never a good thing. And the plotting and numerous character arcs are extremely predictable and derivative. Abrams slavish channeling of iconic films robs the film of any true sense of drama or mystery. If you're familiar with Spielberg's output I don't think you'll have much trouble figuring out where you're headed.

I did like the measured pace and the focus on the characters over set pieces. If you go in expecting balls-to-the-wall monster mayhem you're going to be disappointed. Not only does the creature remain in the shadows for an extended period--it's not even a focal point of the story until the third act. It's obvious that Abrams learned some lessons from Jaws--and that he's not interested in Bay-like mindless spectacle.

As others have mentioned, there are some strong performances from the cast of kids. And the way they relate to each other is definitely one of the film's more compelling elements. But the plot unwisely hijacks one of the more interesting main players for an extended period. I thought that was a big mistake. Half of the kids are cardboard cut-outs and not fully realized characters. Not surprisingly they fail to fill the void when one of the real characters disappears.

The special effects are definitely a mixed bag. I'm not a fan of CGI because you can really see the seams when it's overused--as it is on several occasions here. The 1st big set piece reminded me of the ridiculous dinosaur stampede scene in King Kong. There didn't seem to be any heft to the incredibly heavy objects that are threatening the main characters. If the rest of the film stuck with a cartoony vibe I'd assume Abrams handled those shots that way on purpose. But it's apparent from some other scenes that he's shooting for legitimate scares. So the sloppiness of some of the effects in that early scene bothered me.

I agree with the others that the climax is fairly unsatisfying and ludicrous. Had the film ended in a less predictable way I don't think I'd have walked out with such an overwhelming sense of deja vu. Ironically enough, in Spielberg's best films you really feel that a lot is at stake and a happy ending isn't guaranteed. Here I always had the feeling that it was all in fun and everything would be all right.

I really enjoyed the Star Trek reboot and thought Abrams did a great job of walking the fine line between honoring his source material and being handcuffed by it. I wish he'd taken this one in a slightly more original direction.

Am I over-analyzing? Absolutely. If you grew up watching E.T., Jaws, The Goonies, etc. you'll probably have some fun with Super 8. But Abrams shows enough talent that I expected a little more out of this one.

20. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Lol. You're a riot Dobby. I can't say I'm a big fan of CGI, though I'm apparently only one of only six people that loved Sucker Punch.