Super 8 (J.J. Abrams)

Discussion in 'General' started by MorallySound, May 7, 2010.

1. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

Excellent review Shape22,

I feel I need to chime in again since I am of the earlier Spielberg era. Truth be told, I think some of those films are a mixed bag, but nearly all of them are better than this because they have far more confidence in the stories they are telling.

Am I the only one that found it disappointing how little the Super8 film actually had to do with the plot? I mean, I thought it would have been more interesting had their film been something that the kids had to fight to preserve...that would have added an interesting element of suspense that would have also harkened back to those earlier films.

There were too many moments, especially in the latter half of the film, where Abrams seems to want to put a jump or a scare into every moment out of fear that the audience will become bored. Any interesting character developments are washed aside. I think we should have been with the kids even more. The adult subplots dragged or interrupted.

The CGI calls attention to itself and never allows the audience to get fully caught up in the nostalgia that the film seems to want to deliver. It only made me remember how much I'd rather be watching one of the earlier films, however flawed they might have been.

2. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

The people that are slamming this film yet would be willing to champion oh-so-many of our beloved genre films make me sick. Sorry, I know that we're all entitled to our opinion but I have to feel that the haters here are hating for some reason other than the film itself.

3. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

I'm one of the other five then.

4. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

I simply don't have a desire to see it, I've been complaining for months how the Super 8 trailer, just the trailer, bores me to tears. Having grown up with 70's and 80's Amblin stuff, I have a soft spot for them, but only because I grew up with them. This does absolutely nothing for me and every theater experience I've had now for two months has been marred by an agonizing two minutes, I'm serious. I know it's not fair to judge a movie by its trailer, but I know someone else's cup of tea when I see it.

A lot of you love it, that's great! It's not for me.

5. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't categorize myself as a "hater." I like Spielberg and Abrams. And I was looking forward to seeing this on the big screen. I even avoided all of the propaganda, hype, and reviews of Super 8 so I could see it without knowing too much in advance.

I rarely go to the movies any more. And the few times that I do, I certainly don't go looking to be disappointed. I just wasn't enamored with the film. And my biggest disappointment is easy to explain. I wanted to enjoy it as much as you and some others did. Unfortunately, I didn't.

It's important to note that this was a very high budget production. As such, I think it's fair to hold it to higher standards than smaller projects. So I don't see the hypocrisy in praising more modest films that might not be as good as Super 8 on an objective scale. For me it ultimately comes down to one question. How well did the filmmakers make use of the resources they had at their disposal? Given the size of the budget and the talent involved with Super 8 I just hoped for a little bit more than a reasonably entertaining 2 hours.

6. Kolpitz

In this day and age, $50 million is hardly a very high budget, especially by summer blockbuster standards. Granted, it's still more than low budget horror films but it's a pretty modest budget, nonetheless.

7. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

Can't force myself to like a film, sorry. I've loved many new films from the past couple of years, so in no way do I feel guilty about NOT having enjoyed this film. I found it incredibly boring, too.

8. shape22

You're 100% right. I was speaking in terms of the genre and should have been more clear about that. I certainly didn't mean to suggest the film was as expensive as one of those Transformers movies. I'd still maintain $50 million is a high budget for a genre film with no big-name stars.

9. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Agreed. $50 million is definitely small potatoes when it comes to summer blockbusters, or even standard Hollywood fare. For instance, The Hangover Part II's budget was $80 million.

10. Kolpitz

How Do You Know cost a staggering $120 million.

11. shape22

Comparing film budgets isn't always comparing apples to apples. High percentages of the budgets for many Hollywood films go to above the line costs--fees paid to creative talent such as actors, directors, and producers. That's certainly the case for any Reese Witherspoon movie or guaranteed cash cow sequels to huge comedy hits. I read that $25 million of the budget for The Hangover II went to the 3 lead actors and the director. And Witherspoon supposedly commands $15-$20 million per film. Due to Super 8's mostly no-name cast it probably isn't fair or meaningful to compare it to those films in terms of budget. Obviously most of Super 8's budget was devoted to the physical production of the film--not the cast. I'll bet the below the line costs of Super 8 and The Hangover II are a lot closer than you might expect.

In terms of the genre, the Elm Street remake had a reported total budget of $35 million. The Rite had a total budget of $37 million. Priest had a total budget of $60 million. Season of the Witch had a total budget of $40 million. Drive Angry had a budget of $45-$50 million. And keep in mind, these are some of the most high-profile genre releases of recent days. Typical horror films have much, much lower budgets. But regardless, only 1 of these films had a higher budget than Super 8.

If anyone can locate a budget breakdown for Super 8 I'd be very interested to see it. There's no doubt that Abrams made good use of the budget. Aside from some occasionally dodgy CGI it plays like a much more expensive picture.

12. Demon

Demon Don't Fuck With Dolly!

13. shape22

Their love of the genre is commendable. But they need an editor even more than Peter Jackson. Was anyone else able to sit through this whole video?

14. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I really enjoyed this, maybe even my favourite movie of the year so far.

Definitely felt like a long lost Speilberg flick from the 80s, minus newer CG of course. Not that they were terrible, but I wish they went with puppets and old school effects instead of CGI as it would have fit the film better.

The acting was surprisingly really good. Usually when I see that one of the main cast members is a child I get worried, seeing that pretty much all of the main cast were children had me running for cover. Thankfully they all did a great job and were very believable while delivering their dialog.

The music was great as well, and again was a real throwback to my times as a child.

Can't wait to watch this again!

Unless Captain America or Cowboys and Aliens blow me away (As it doesn't sound like Green Lantern will) this may end up being my favourite movie of the summer.

1. Super 8
    2. Thor
    3. X-Men: First Class

4. Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

15. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Went with my son (turns 15 in about a week) to see this tonight- I liked it - he said he enjoyed it too but he was kinda disappointed in the ending. I didnt have a problem with the ending myself but wasnt blown away by it either. I thought the kids in the movie all did great

16. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

I haven't seen this yet but from what I'm hearing it can't be any worse than Battle: Los Angeles which don't get me wrong I enjoyed.

17. Marclar

Marclar Member

I watched Battle: Los Angeles with interest...but I ended up not liking the movie because it had to much Hollywood propaganda to restore the credit of American Army and to boost up the support for it. It was much too obvious and it did not work.

Super 8, on other hand, is a completely different animal. I liked it a lot. It is definitely done as a homage to some good old classics and was very good at that. It is a much much better piece of cinematic work than Battle for Los Angeles.

18. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

I enjoyed Super 8 as did my step-son, even though a friend of his said is was "lame."

19. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Finally got around to watching this and I found it to be only mildly entertaining at best. While there was enough action and intrigue to keep me interested there were times where I felt I was watching The Goonies. Most of the kids in this were very annoying.

20. Chunkblower

Chunkblower Member

I can dig a lot of the criticisms leveled at Super 8 but, you know, this movie tickled a very specific spot in my heart in such a way that I was able to overlook its flaws. The character of Charles was me at that age almost down to a T- from his obsession with horror and sci-fi flicks, to the Halloween and Dawn of the Dead posters hanging on his wall, to him directing a "movie" as a pretense to spend time with a girl he has a crush on, right down to having that very girl "stolen" from right under his nose by his best friend. The actor who played him even shares my last name. The main difference was, at that age, I was rail thin rather than a bit pudgy.

So, yeah. Deeply flawed film that still warms my heart, makes me smile and will probably grow to be one of my all time favorites.

Man...I wish I still had the footage from my film, Halloween 6: The Fate of Michael Myers.