Superstation TBS

Discussion in 'General' started by booper71, Sep 11, 2012.

1. booper71

booper71 B-Zone on Roku

I see alot of love on here for the way TNT and USA Network handled horror and b-movies in the 80s and early 90s, rarely is there a mention of TBS who owned a great deal of MGMs properties and used them to fill the wee hours of the morning. I recall Uncle Al Lewis hosting a horror show, I also remember TBS aside from the constant Braves games, aired Addams Family, Munsters, and Beaver daily. TBS introduced me to Motel Hell and Mountaintop Motel Massacre, they also re-broadcasted made for tv horrors like Don't Be Afraid of The Dark. My favorite TBS staple was the horror tv-movie "Deadly Lessons" - a film that features a pre-fame Allie Sheedy and Diane Franklin, a tame horror opus but a memorable one.

Then it seemed like all this went to Turner South, which itself went the way of the dinosaur.:cry:

2. Dobby

Dobby Banned Mofo

Cable sucks million channels with nothing good to watch. I can only imagine back then during the 80s it was better. Channels were few but the programing was tight from what i gather.

3. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Superstation TBS was great. I used to almost always have it on when I was younger, and they had good late-night programming.

Now TBS is practically all lame TV shows and unfunny Conan commercials. And what's with all those original black TV shows on there now? I mean seriously...they're not even good. They should seriously cancel that shit and play re-runs of Sanford & Son or What's Happening!. Those were fun to watch.

4. Dobby

Dobby Banned Mofo

Everything these days is disposible garbage movies music tv shows etc. Ironicly nobody seems to say that like its taboo. My neighbor has cable its all channel after channel of reality shows. Wtf is the deal with all this r&b pop rap shit blasting on tv and radio? Everything we call entertainment is such garbage nowadays. Piss poor talent shaky cam directors thug lowlifes all crap. I doubt things will ever change just wait when physical media dies. Then they will have you all by the balls and twat. You think your crying now just wait you will be crying rivers soon.

5. booper71

booper71 B-Zone on Roku

i don't think even fearnet and chiller get it right, but it's a start. Probably only a matter of time before they go the way of MonstersHD (who did get it right).

6. Jeremy

Jeremy Closet SCREAM fan

In the mid-90's my parents got basic cable, and we lived in such a remote area that basic cable was eight channels and the full package was only like twenty-five channels (even today, my parents still have the basic package through the same provider and it's only like sixteen channels). TBS was not included in the basic package, but through a technological quirk it came in, completely watchable, if a little fuzzy. By that time they didn't show many horror movies, but I do remember a few things, like PIRANHA, TENTACLES, SON OF GODZILLA and THE OMEGA MAN being shown. It also introduced me to the early James Bond films, and to a personal non-horror favorite of mine, Cornel Wilde's BEACH RED (1967).

7. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Wasn't TBS the one that had the Dinner and a Movie program? I remember watching Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure for the first time on that.

8. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Boy, do I miss those days.

9. Dobby

Dobby Banned Mofo

I'm all ears i missed out tell me some stories!

10. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Actually, you guys are ignoring the most egregious addition to all channels: PAID PROGRAMMING. I.E., infomercials. That's all you have on TV from 1AM-6AM. That used to be prime time to show weird movies, obscure stuff, whatever. It's all gone now though. Outside of the dedicated movie channels (TCM, HBO, Showtime, Skinemax), I dare you to find me a movie on television after midnight.

11. Dobby

Dobby Banned Mofo

http://thistv.com/ They are a local digital channel they show movies 24-7. They are like a poor-mans Turner South from what I gather. All you need is your digital box antenna no cable no nothing. They play goofy movies and the occasional horror flicks. I'm usually knocked out after midnight counting sheep. However once a blue moon i catch a late late movie on there. http://thistv.com/schedule

12. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

Yes, I have seen this on the local cable. It has commercials and doesn't come in the clearest, but you can't fault them for not having an interesting selection of films.

13. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

As for TBS, I can honestly only remember Sanford & Son, Captain Planet and World Championship Wrestling from my youth. Also, pictures like the Road Warrior that was edited and shown full screen. Oh, and Chuck Norris films like The Hero and the Terror. I believe that's the title.

14. Dobby

Dobby Banned Mofo

Connect a stronger power source antenna for your digital box or TV. That works miracles for me plus you can boost the power up. Telling your box or TV to redo a channel search can clear up the problem too. :glasses:

15. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

Cool, thanks. I actually thought it was provided through the cable company.

16. Dobby

Dobby Banned Mofo

Nope it's a free digital channel it's been 5.1 then 5.2 in my neck of the woods. Still it's a fantastic little gem of a channel commercials and all. Sometimes you need to tell your TV or box to redo a search channel. That helps your TV or box reconfigure the channel signal.

17. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

A little digging around their website, and I see it can actually be both. One of my local cable providers has it on channel 128. Or, you can get it over the air at 69.3

18. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Cable was great back in the day. I LOVED USA and liked TBS and other stations, but back then there weren't hundreds of disposable channels all playing garbage. We didn't have DVDs and a lot of movies weren't as easy to come by, so we consumed all the horror/scifi we could get, whether it was on cable, VHS or wherever!!

19. Dobby

Dobby Banned Mofo

When THiSTV first started over 3 years ago they played allot horror flicks. Then they would play outer limits all night long. Wish i had a DVDrecorder cause for the first few months they played some rare flicks. Now they still do but they are far and few in-between.

AgrEEd +1 Shannafay you just nail it home run!!

20. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

I'll tell you, the Internet has blessed me a million times, but one of the happiest days I had was when I found out the name of a movie called Poison Ivy that I watched on TBS when I was about 8 years old, just randomly stumbled upon it late one night at my uncle's house. It's a made for TV summer camp movie that I consider up there with Meatballs. The only thing I remembered about it was some kid who couldn't swim and another kid tried to scare him by telling him of "Tough Break Thompson", a kid who drowned at the same summer camp. Just a wonderful movie I'd have never seen again if it wasn't for the net. And TBS.