Survival of the Dead

Discussion in 'General' started by Mok, Sep 9, 2009.

1. hegemon13

hegemon13 Guest

I hated Diary of the Dead. It seemed odd that a horror filmmaker would take on voyeuristic YouTube culture as an "evil" to be exposed. Really? You do realize why people love your zombie movies so much, right? Because they get to watch realistic, seemingly familiar people in an extremely bad situation. It's the same voyeuristic tendency that has people watching celebrities and funny accidents on YouTube. Whatever. Not to mention that his conversion to CGI gore was unforgiveable, the acting was atrocious, and the story was nonexistent.

All that said, I don't understand all the hate for Land. It was not as good as the original three, but it was a fun movie with lots of epic zombie battles. The performances were decent. The story was interesting. It seemed like the natural evolution of the series; each movie in the series had a larger cast, larger scope, and a larger slice of community. Where was there to go from Day except to a city?

2. j tea

j tea New Member

nice, is that windom earle from twin peaks?

3. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

from shocktilyoudrop.com

George A. Romero's latest zombie offering, Survival of the Dead, has found U.S. distribution.

Magnet Releasing, the genre arm of Magnolia Pictures, announced today that they have the rights. Magnet will release the film as part of its Ultra VOD program this spring, debuting it on VOD platforms nationwide a month before its theatrical release.

Like its predecessors, Survival of the Dead takes place in a desperate, nightmarish world where the dead walk the earth, relentlessly attacking the living. It is the story of Plum Island – a beautiful refuge whose isolation allows two powerful families to maintain a semblance of order in the wake of the zombie holocaust. But as the inhabitants slowly die off, the two clans become sharply divided: the O’Flynns believe that the undead must be destroyed without exception, while the Muldoons insist that afflicted loved ones be kept "alive" until a cure is found. The result is an escalating showdown with echoes of a classic Western stand-off that erupts in brutality and violence.

Says Romero, "I'm a big admirer of the team at Magnolia. They’re creative and passionate, and I'm excited to put Survival in their hands."

When a release date comes to light, we'll let you know. For now, check out some stills and video previews here!

4. Vlachio

Vlachio Guest

[​IMG]

George A. Romero's SURVIVAL OF THE DEAD: Arriving on March 15th in the UK from Optimum Home Entertainment is the DVD release of George A. Romero's new film, which stars Alan Van Sprang, Kenneth Welsh, Kathleen Munroe, Devon Bostick, Richard Fitzpatrick, Stefano Colacitti and Athena Karkanis. Filmmaker George A. Romero unleashes the sixth film in his DEAD series (which started with NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD in 1968, progressing through the likes of DAWN OF THE DEAD before culminating with 2007's DIARY OF THE DEAD) with this gut-munching shocker surrounding a clash of ideals between two factions of inhabitants on a remote island after a zombie outbreak."

Here's the US plot details: "On a small island off North America's coast, the dead rise to menace the living. Yet...the islanders can't bring themselves to exterminate their loved ones, despite the growing danger from those the once held dear. A rebel among them hunts down all the zombies he can find, only to be banished from the island for assassinating his neighbors and friends. On the mainland, bent on revenge, he encounters a small band of survivors in search of an oasis on which to build a new life. Barely surviving an attack from a mass of ravenous flesh-eaters. They commandeer a zombie-infested ferry and sail to the island. There, to their horror, they discover that the locals have chained the dead inside their homes, pretending to live 'normal' lives...with bloody consequences. What ensues is a desperate struggle for survival and the answer to a question never posed in Romero's Dead films: Can the living ever live in peace with the dead?" (Bloody-Disgusting.com)

5. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

6. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

from horror-movies.ca

7. dickieduvet

dickieduvet Member

Just finished watching this on Blu-Ray, Very good I thought. Better than Diary anyway (Though I still enjoyed it). A few dodgy GGI FX shots and very little in the way of old school latex FX. All in All I was pleased with it. The Blu-Ray has got an excellent transfer and a fantastic DTS MA soundtrack though there are no extras at all :(

Plenty of gore and lots of humour too. Think it's region locked to B but not 100% sure.

8. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

Maybe I'm the odd one out, but I actually enjoyed "Diary of the Dead."
    Sure, its not "Dawn..." or "Day..."... or even "Land...", but its still a solid horror flick with some interesting angles and far better than the majority of the shlocky remakes coming out of Hollywood right now.
    As such, I am excited about "Survival of the Dead" and look forward to it becoming available on DVD/Blu-Ray in the US.

9. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Alright, decisions, decisions, decisions!! Should I get the Region 2 DVD or wait for a Blu Ray to make it to the states??? I really want to see this!!

10. Shannafey

Just watched it. Better than Diary, but still a piece of crap! That script was retarded and the CG shots were horrible!! Romero needs to stop making dead films!! I really love the guy and respect his past work, but he really isn't doing anything good anymore!

11. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

I tried to warn people in the other thread. Land, Diary, Survival. 3 strikes. I am done with him. Hey, he revolutionized the Zombie genre. But decades ago. There are new directors who are more worthy of attention nowadays. One Uwe B in the genre is too many as it is.

I am due for another viewing of Night. I need to watch it to leave a good lasting impression of the man in my mind.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  12. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan Active Member

Survival looks awful, Land of the Dead was ok to me, I turned Diary off after 10 minutes.

13. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Romero needs to stop making films PERIOD! Lousy director.

14. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

Ok, I saw this. I think Romero needs to hang it up with the zombie films. The zombies in this one almost never posed a threat to the humans effectively removing any sense of dread in the film, the kills were more CGI than I would have wanted to see in a Romero film and there was not one single likable character. The main protagonist is an arrogant douche bag that I couldn't give a rats ass about. The warring families who play out like a modern day Hatfield and McCoys just seem ridiculous and their motivations laughable.

The only thing I liked about this one is that it ran at a brief hour and a half, although it felt longer. This entry makes Land of the Dead look like a classic.

Avoid.

15. Shannafey

Definitely a good synopsis!! I actually like Land of the Dead. I think it's his last good dead film.

16. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I agree with the criticisms of this one. It's so bad that I wonder if it's supposed to be an all-out comedy. As mentioned above, there was no sense of danger. And some of the performances are so broad that I thought I was watching Tod Slaughter. Romero has also totally lost his ability to write nuanced quality characters. Everyone in this movie seems like a cliche.

I too fear that George has lost it for all-time. He used to be a guy with such a strong vision for each movie. With Diary and Survival I get the impression that he's thinking about what a modern audience might want instead of what kind of film HE wants to make. That's a shame.

And I too am really stunned at the amount of CGI in Survival. That's bad enough on its own. But it's so poorly done that I felt like I was watching a parody of a real zombie movie (made by a director with serious contempt for the genre). It definitely gives a cartoonish vibe that I found very off-putting.

I'm really surprised that so many people have such low regard for Land of the Dead. To me, there was a bigger drop-off between Dawn and Day than Day and Land. I like Day and Land about the same. Just my two cents of course.

I am done with Romero zombie flicks. If I watch any more of these travesties it may begin to taint my feelings for his classics. I REALLY hate Diary and Survival. No more George. Please.

17. Dave

Dave Pimp

CGI was awful; story was awful; characters were awful.

Why the nonsense about training zombies to eat animals?
    Downright silly stuff. We simply want people in tense situations with zombies trying to eat them alive. It's really not that difficult to follow.

I did love the underwater zombies (loved it in World War Z) but that was only a minute or two.

18. Shannafey

You're not kidding!!

19. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

After watching this, I'm still at odds with how I feel. I mean I didn't hate it or anything, it was just o.k. and thats coming from me, who enjoyed and owns both Land and Diary. But this I don't know. The CGI was so awful it made me cringe at times, like the "Special Effects" were two notches above a SyFy original movie. It also had the most throw away cast in the entire Romero "Of The Dead" series, The only ones worth mentioning are the two old men.
    Sure people complain how awful Land and Diary are, but at least there ambitions were in the right place. This film had little ambition, a lot of cool action sequences and a stock pile of forgettable characters. I'm sorry Georgie, I admire and appreciate what you did for the horror genre, but it's time to call it a day and leave with what little dignity you have left. With other zombie-esque films coming out the wood work (REC, 28 Days Later, etc.) your little Survival Of The Dead film is 10 miles behind.

Rating: (6/10)

20. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

While I was never a huge fan of Day, I actually beared a fare amount of dislike for Land so that still gets my vote for being George's first bad zombie film. Just the ending with them shooting off all the fireworks out of the truck (ummm, maybe you could use those in the next town you're in where the zombies aren't desensitized to them?) makes me groan and ends the film on such a stupid note.