Sympathy for Lady Vengeance

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by Erg0n, Jan 1, 2006.

1. Erg0n

Erg0n My Baby Picture

In a House that's Up My Butt In A Cellar, Canada
    I saw this final installment to Chan-wook Park revenge trilogy and it is better than I expected, however, it is the least favorite of the 3 movies he directed. It resembles more to Mr. Vengence than Oldboy.

2. Behemoth

Behemoth Guest

I watched Sympathy for Lady Vengeance yesterday, and was really disappointed. Nowhere near as good as Oldboy, and nowhere near as good as Sympathy for MR. Vengeance. It wasn't a BAD movie, just MEDIOCRE, and thus terribly disappointing after the two previous movies in the trilogy. I'd give it 6.5 points out of 10.

3. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

According to Tartan this is getting a limited run in April. I've seen Olboy and I'm sure by then I'll have seen Mr. Vengeance, so hopefully I'll get this playing close to me so I can finish off the trilogy.

4. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

This movie was frikkin great! The music, performances, the lil bits and pieces of things that happen and fall into place. The last 20 or so minutes were just excellent as well. Its up there with Oldboy I say. :)

5. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

I can't believe any true film fan, or film "buff", wouldn't like this. The film is brilliant, Parks' finest work. The guy just gets better and better with every film, and this is his highest achievement yet. It's brutally beautiful and harrowing, amazingly acted, excellently layered...really, I could go on and on. This is my favorite film from 2005, and a beautiful film not to be missed.

6. broadwayrock

broadwayrock Guest

Ive found that most of the people who didnt like this film were going into the film expecting Oldboy version 2 or rehash of Sympathy for Mr Vengeance with some 'kick ass fighting scenes'.

This is not the case. Lady Vengeance has a different tone from the other two films. This film is not just about who, why and how vengeance is being served upon, but it also explores why people feel that they qualify and deserve to commit and act of vengeance.

I totally agree with what KamuiX said, Park's directorial abilities have improved over his previous few films.

7. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I just finished this, and I think Sympathy for Lady Vengeance is a major artistic achievement and the perfect conclusion to the trilogy. I also think it is the best movie, in part because because the director's skills are even more finely honed here, but mainly because it really developed and sold the personal aspects of the story. Like it or not, you were in the darkest of places with them and you understood why they were there and it was just horrible. This movie really broke my heart, but in a most magnificent way. I give it my highest rating.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2006
  8. ReelFear

ReelFear New Member

It feels like I waited forever to see this final installment of the "Vengeance" trilogy. Was it worth the wait? HELL YEAH!
    Stunning photography, heartwrenching music, outstanding performances - what more could you want? This is a movie you FEEL as much as you see. Not to be missed!
    9.5/10

Last edited: Feb 7, 2006
  9. Ash

Ash New Member

Anyone know when the dvd is due out?

10. Damed

Damed Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2006
  11. logboy

logboy Guest

HK out now, korean out now (recommended edition), UK and USA will be out around the middle part of the year... boxset from Tartan also of the entire trilogy, just in case, at some point later in the year I believe...

12. feral cat

feral cat Guest

It was good for the most part, but the final third really dragged IMO, Great looking, suitably scored, but the plot was pretty poor and really it was only the fact that Chan-wook Park is such a talented director that it worked, a lesser director and it could have easily been rambling nonsense. I liked it, but don't think it’s as good as many seem to and no I was not expecting a retread of his other films.

... If you want a preview of Tartans UK DVD sleeve there is one here

13. onebyone

onebyone Guest

That seems strange as so much happens there, but I guess it depends on what you are looking for.

You can say that for any movie by a good director. Any movie could be rambling nonsense in the hands of a lesser director.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2006