Synapse Films: Titles Coming Soon!

Discussion in 'General' started by Shawn Francis, Dec 29, 2010.

1. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Pretty fun interview, but that's because Don just talks and talks and talks and all of it is gold. He talks quite a bit about the downfall of Anchor Bay.

This was before the Demons/Demons 2 UHD announcement so he teases that.
    The Kindred is in authoring. May be in stock at their website before Demons' street date.
    Nothing about Tombs of the Blind Dead.

Some things that stuck out for me:
    01:08:00 Maniac Cop "a possibility." Troma does not own the films Synapse has currently in their catalog.
    01:09:45 Black Roses and Rock 'n' Roll Nightmare the negatives are missing. Again, Troma does not own the films Synapse has currently in their catalog.
    01:21:00 Deadly Spawn is in the works. Still under restoration for a year and a half, but it's been delayed by COVID as the work is being done overseas. India I suppose.
    01:31:00 Lemora is discussed. This is a new tale but they looked into it when they did the teaser post years ago but currently the negative is missing. Then at the tail end Don says there's some "title issues" so we're hearing a lot of different things. I'm guessing there's more to it than what May's letting on.
    02:11:45 Coffin Joe has materials issues. Apparently another entity is pursuing materials, possibly for another region (maybe Arrow? They've done a release). But May "hasn't heard back from them." Probably not.

russweiss and Katatonia like this.
  2. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Deadly Spawn has already had two blu-ray releases. The U.S. release was panned as a terrible transfer. I'm not sure about the German release.

3. sinister

sinister Active Member

For anyone else who was disappointed in the Synapse BD release of Tenebrae only having the original mono soundtrack you be interested to know that the Japanese Happinet BD release has the 5.1 English re-mix as well as the 2.0 mono track. I think it's the only BD release that has the 5.1 soundtrack, certainly the only one I've ever found and I've got about 5 BD releases of Tenebrae now.

It's very hard to find the Jap disc now (I just got one direct from Japan and it cost almost $150!), but if you watch Tenebrae as often as I do then the 5.1 mix is a must have as the atmosphere of the movie and particular the music is 10x better. The print seems to be the same as the French BD and the Arrow re-release, so it has that slight jump in the music during the first murder scene (which was corrected on the Synapse version) and all the "in movie" text is Italian with no option for English (an extra feature on the Synapse version) but otherwise it looks and sounds great. The Jap subs can be disabled when selecting the 5.1 English track. This will definitely be the one I reach for on the shelf in future. :)

4. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I'm half expecting this to show up on 4k sometime soon.

Steel76 likes this.
  5. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

6. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

So, I guess I'll get this in 2024, when he finally releases a standard edition.

Zombie Dude and hots4 like this.
  7. delicreep

delicreep Well-Known Member

Bang the drum for the steelbook. The faster those sell out, the sooner the standard gets a release.

Steel76 likes this.
  8. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I have almost enough points from Bull Moose to buy this for $30 and seriously considering using them. Their store cost is $10 more than Synapse sells direct which is the main reason why I haven’t bought it outright but I still don’t know if those points are better spent elsewhere.

It’s worth noting that Bull Moose has these available in every storefront and by all appearances they haven’t sold a single one.

9. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I wouldn't buy it from Bull Moose. Looks like the Living Dead at Manchester Morgue steelbook will be on sale soon at Grindhouse Video. Probably only a limited quantity of them? The sale is on Synapse, Severin, Intervision, and Impulse. The sale is scheduled from November 15h - November 30th.

[​IMG]

Severin / Intervision

50% OFF MSRP Blu-rays & DVDs

4K UHD releases and Severin Films Exclusives will not be included in the sale

Synapse Films / Impulse

50% OFF MSRP Blu-rays & DVDs (Limited availability due to distributor stock)

Expect a number of OOP releases to be available in limited quantities
    The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue SteelBook will be included in the sale
    Massacre at Central High SteelBook will not be included in the sale

• Product will NOT be in stock at the time you order. Product will be ordered from the distributor starting 2-3 days into the sale.
    • Things will be much smoother than GHV's last Arrow sale due to much more space available to store product and two additional people pulling and packaging orders once stock comes in.
    • Expect a 1-2 week delay between placing your order and your order shipping out.

maybrick and CPT HOOK like this.
  10. maybrick

Thats all well and good, but the MSRP of Manchester Morgue is $100. $50 is the same as Synapse’s price.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
  11. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Holy fuck!?! I had no idea the MSRP was that high. I love the film, but won't pay $50.00 for it. Just when I thought that Vinegar Syndrome had some crazy high MSRPs...

hots4 likes this.
  12. maybrick

Generally speaking with very few except the synapse tin is a website exclusive and the msrp is only a theoretical number to begin with. The true price has always been $50. Like a lot of sales elsewhere any time they post 50% sales that is always off of srp which never makes it much of a deal at all.

13. maybrick

Caved and used my points to get it for $30. I was reluctant to do so, but everything else I want is more likely to go on sale down the line than this edition will.

satans-sadists likes this.
  14. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I would be willing to do that, but don't have enough points currently with Bullmoose.

15. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

It looks like Arrow and Synapse are both announcing their Phenomena 4K sets at the same time.

https://www.synapsefilms.com/product/phenomena-two-disc-4k-uhd-limited-edition/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Two 4K (2160p) UHD discs inside.
    • New 4K restorations of all three versions of Phenomena, including the original Italian version (116 mins.), the International cut (110 mins.), and the U.S. “Creepers” cut (83 mins.)
    • 4K (2160p) UHD Blu-ray™ presentations in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible)
    • Limited edition slipcase packaging designed by artist Wes Benscoter
    • Reversible sleeve artwork
    • Collector’s booklet featuring liner notes from Mikel J. Koven, Rachael Nisbet and Leonard Jacobs
    • Fold-out poster
    • Postcard-sized lobby card reproduction artcards
    DISC 1 (4K 2160p ULTRA-HD BLU-RAY) - ITALIAN VERSION
    • Lossless Italian DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 and PCM 2.0 stereo soundtracks, derived from the original 4-channel Dolby Stereo elements
    • Lossless “hybrid” English/Italian DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 soundtrack*
    • English subtitles for the Italian soundtrack
    • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for the hybrid soundtrack
    • Audio commentary by Troy Howarth, author of Murder by Design: The Unsane Cinema of Dario Argento
    • Of Flies and Maggots, a feature-length 2017 documentary produced for Arrow Films, including interviews with co-writer/producer/director Dario Argento, actors Fiore Argento, Davide Marotta, Daria Nicolodi and Fiorenza Tessari, co-writer Franco Ferrini, cinematographer Romano Albani, production manager Angelo Iacono, special optical effects artist Luigi Cozzi, special makeup effects artist Sergio Stivaletti, makeup artist Pier Antonio Mecacci, underwater camera operator Gianlorenzo Battaglia, and composers Claudio Simonetti and Simon Boswell
    • Archival interview with Andi Sex Gang
    • Original Italian and international theatrical trailers
    • “Jennifer” music video, directed by Dario Argento
    • Japanese pressbook gallery
    • * The 116minute Italian cut features approximately six minutes of footage for which English audio does not exist. In these instances, the hybrid track reverts to Italian audio with English subtitles
    DISC 2 (4K 2160p ULTRA-HD BLU-RAY) - INTERNATIONAL & "CREEPERS" VERSION DISC
    • Lossless English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 and PCM 2.0 stereo soundtracks on the international version, derived from the original 4-channel Dolby Stereo elements
    • Lossless English PCM 1.0 mono soundtrack on Creepers, mastered from the original 3 track DME magnetic mix
    • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
    • Audio commentary on the international version by Argento scholar and author Derek Botelho and film historian, journalist and radio/television commentator David Del Valle
    • The Three Sarcophagi, a visual essay by Arrow producer Michael Mackenzie comparing the different cuts of Phenomena
    • Creepers U.S. theatrical trailer
    • U.S. radio spots
    As with the recent Demons 4K UHD set, Diabolik currently has it on sale far cheaper than direct from Synapse: https://www.diabolikdvd.com/product/phenomena-synapse-limited-2-disc-4k-uhd-all-region-preorder/

Last edited: Nov 26, 2021 at 3:44 PM
    wago70, f.ramses, Steel76 and 2 others like this.