Synapse teases DEMONS for 2013 on Blu-ray!!!!!

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by fceurich39, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I'd email Synapse about it. I'm sure they'd take care of it if it arrived damaged.

2. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

3. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

4. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Goddamn...I feel sorry for Synapse. I'd hate to be bombarded with Facebook comments by a bunch of tards saying: "Where's mine!? Did mine ship yet?"...good Lord...what a bunch of morons.

5. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

The more difficult this gets for Synapse and anyone involved...

Good.

Maybe teach them that this is not a sound release strategy.

6. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Totally agree with you. It's not fair to fan that they made these so hard to acquire due to cost and limiting them to be sold only on their site.

7. Chomp

Diabolik DVD will have them in stock.

8. Zombie Dude

Besides there it's not being sold anywhere else. I imagine Diabolik just buys them like the rest of us and then re-sells because from what I read Synapse never mentioned anyone but them selling it.
    I'm referring to this not being available on Amazon and other online stores as well as on shelf in retail stores.

9. Chomp

Yeah man I know...the price sucks. I am still wondering why they HAD to go the steelbook route...sure it makes for a nice collectible for those who can afford it, but it's basically giving a big middle finger to those who can't obtain it...especially the overseas fans.

These transfers are way too awesome to be as limited as they are...I hope somewhere down the line these get released at a much more reasonable price.

10. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

Yeah, the replacement cases "plan" sounds pretty iffy, at best. It's possible that post from Synapse was meant for more mundane problems that aren't really related to shipping damage. If the damage is shipping related, I'd probably still contact Synapse to see what they advise. Priority Mail should offer them some insurance against damaged packages. https://www.usps.com/ship/file-domestic-claims.htm

Assuming all 3,000 copies aren't already spoken for, maybe Synapse can send a replacement copy of Demons and file a claim against USPS for the damaged copy? Partial refund? If not, killit might be able to file a claim against USPS himself since it's for a damaged package, not a lost package.

11. Zombie Dude

It's a massive middle finger to fans. If they had to bump up the price because it cost a lot more than usual to buy the distribution rights then fine. I'm sure manufacturing steelbook cases though isn't a cheap option and I assume that would mean a bump up in price too making an already expensive film even more costly. :bs:

12. Dave

Dave Pimp

Again, I'm torn.

I used to buy Elite laserdisc from Don May. I remember dreaming about Texas Chainsaw Massacre. It was out of my price range; I believe around $80 or so. We are in a different time now but I'm willing to bet Elite sold maybe 1,000 or so of those laserdisc. Now they did a run of how many of these steelbooks? 5,000? How many did they actually sell? Didn't someone on here recently order and say they got like 1200? I know they sold some to distributors, too. Lets say they sold 2,000. We have kind of come full circle here. Horror on laserdisc was a niche market. Horror on bluray is a niche market. Perhaps not with something like Halloween, since the bluray seems to be available in every gas station across the land. But for obscure horror like Demons, I don't see how much choice Don has. Perhaps he could have skipped the steelbook and got the price down to $40 or $45, but how many additional sales did he get by having it as a limited edition steelbook? The flip side of that is, how many sales did he lose by making it an expensive limited edition steelbook?

Having said all that, I'm leaning towards buying these. I recall chatting with Don back in the late 90s and being ridiculously excited he was announcing all the Synapse releases for laserdisc. Ultimately only a few got released because he didn't get enough preorder to justify the pressings. He loves the genre. It's a two man operation. He deserves the support.

13. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I agree with you there Dave, I bought both Demons and Demons 2 for these reasons. I also held off Arrow's original release though.

While I've tapered what I buy from Synapse away from titles I have zero interest in (I use to buy EVERYTHING they put out) I have no qualms buying anything else from them because I know it will be a top of the line presentation. I don't think people fully realize what a gift Synapse Films is. If not for Synapse Films you may very well have a Shout Factory release for a little less MSRP and on Amazon.com but it'd almost certainly be the same shitty transfer as the Arrow release. There's really no debating that.

On the other hand I've also stopped buying titles on Blu-ray "just because they're five bucks." Lots of Blu-ray's in the $5 bins aren't any better than my upconverted DVD. For me Blu-ray should be the Best of the Best. Not something that's just "better than the DVD." So the transfer is absolutely everything to me. Every $5 Blu-ray I skip lets me afford quality releases likes Demons.

If there's any chance to see Lemora and other similar films on Blu-ray it's via this delivery system. You can also look at this as a down payment to fill the coffers for Suspira's upcoming restoration work. After all Synapse had to pass on Night of the Demons for lack of funds, which was sad news to hear. There's no question they would have put out a superior release to Shout Factory. Last time I talked with Don they were having trouble restoring the Coffin Joe catalog as well and I'd really like to support them for that too.

TLDR: I'd rather pay Synapse $50 for a beautiful Blu-ray than anyone else $5 for a mediocre Blu-ray.

14. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

So, here we have a company that puts a high price tag on a movie just to justify their work... no complain there.

the steelbook route is no excuse for the high price tag because we have other steelbook releases out there that are cheap... the high price is work related.

But not this move made by the company about damaged items is a total "fuck you very much". Fans donĀ“t deserve that.

15. youthief

youthief Member

I don't have any previous experience with steelbooks but I like how the top disc holder is angled up slightly so you don't have to press down on the bottom disc to free the top one. I also like how the optional English subtitles will tell you the name of the artist and song title that's playing. (Now I know Panic by The Smiths is the song playing in Sally's apartment when that guy calls.) I think Synapse tries extremely hard to do right by the fans of a niche market. Case in point is the price of USPS Priority shipping to Canada; two steelbooks to Canada is $29. Yep, $29 US dollars. When Don & Jerry found out that's what it would cost, they didn't raise the rate for Canadian orders or even use a cheaper rate like Media Mail. They kept their word and left the shipping price as it was. How many companies, large or small, would knowingly take a beating like that?

I wasn't exactly thrilled with the price simply because I've gotten to used to deals but at least I won't have to buy these 2 movies again for a long time. Don pays a LOT of attention to details and it shows. The Metropol ticket replica even has "TO DAY" (that's a European English thing) rather than Americanizing it to say "TODAY".

16. Katatonia

17. Stige

Stige Well-Known Member

For those of you who own them.,...
    went through it with a small calculator in my head , and to get them I would have to pay somewhere between 80 and 90 dollars a piece when all the customs and postal fees are taken into account.....would it still be worth it?

18. Katatonia

I suppose it really depends on just how much you like the movies. They are really nice in terms of the packaging, the A/V quality, and the exclusive extras. I don't regret paying the price, but then again I only paid $91.90 for both shipped.

And you also have to take into account a few things, like:

Synapse haven't yet said that standard retail versions will even be released, so that's far from any certainty.

And once these do sell out, they'll almost surely become more desired by collectors.

And you are region-free aren't you? The Blu-rays are "A" locked, and the included DVD's are also "2" locked.

19. Stige

Stige Well-Known Member

I am region free, and I always make a region free version on my PC (I hope that's legal, as long as I have the original, so I can play the discs on my Panasonic 550)(have to add the cost of two bdr-dl discs to the final total price)
    I Guess I'm a collector, the only way for me to get them is through Diabolik and they aren't responsible for items lost in the mail, if that happens..... I only watch the flicks when I get a New version, Lots og thoughts.....
    If this had been suspiria,prom night, or curtains I wouldn't even be be thinking about NOT ordering, those will be pre-ordered before I even knew it. Decisions decisions...

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  20. burieddeep

burieddeep Dr. Obrero

I do not think these are going to sell out any time soon, especially Demons 2. Be patient, a big price drop will happen, imo. The folks that have really wanted these already have them. If I'm wrong then no biggie. I paid $25.92 for the Arrow steelbook and am more than happy with it. Sure, the transfers on both of the Synapse releases are superior, but not worth $66, imo. I'm a fan of these two films, however, Demons is mediocre at best after Bobby Rhodes gets wasted and Demons 2 was obviously just a quick cash in on the success of the first one.