Synapse teases DEMONS for 2013 on Blu-ray!!!!!

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by fceurich39, Jan 4, 2013.

1. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

2. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

3. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

He just told the facts. Arrow's Blu-rays of Demons 1/2 are pretty damned disappointing in the transfer and audio department, and have numerous flaws. He could have also added that the bitrate on the Arrow Blu-rays was horribly low, etc..

4. thrashard76

thrashard76 Thrash or be Thrashed

That was a good read. I had no idea that that much work went into restoring older movies like these to a more proper version. I have the Demons / Demons 2 LE from Anchor Bay so this should be like night and day in comparison to Synapse's upcoming versions.

5. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Don broke it down! I love that kind of insight into what it takes to bring our favorite retro films to the newest home ent. formats.
    I always wondered about the USA theatrical (1986 Ascot Entertainment, holler!) dubbing differences from previous DVD/Laserdisc versions.
    He really is after quality - but then Don's work has always been stellar.

6. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

I´m not denying or refuting any of the facts.
    But I still think they should have approached their update a little more subtle.
    They should compare their release with the others but without harming anyone.

7. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

I appreciate the heads up. However, I think one of the motivating reasons for the detailed update were people questioning whether or not these would actually make it out by the 29th. I confess I'm one of those people. With October in full swing and still no news I was becoming concerned with the progress of the release, being that I preordered very early on. I can wait a few more days if it means we're getting a definitive release. I just don't know if I'm going to be willing to pre-pay so far in advance again, especially if I already own a copy of the film(s).

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  8. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

:bs:

I'm pretty sick of the padded corners all around us now. Arrow gets a free pass, like Anchor Bay use to, simply because they have nice covers. Don was civil but factual.

9. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

Wow, it really sounds like they are going all-out with these transfers! I'm still not buying at those prices but it's cool that they will both be getting the kind of love that the fans deserve.

10. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I agree. I don't see the big deal in Don naming names. If Arrow wants to cut corners then people should know there are better quality discs out there. No one was bashing them, just being truthful.

11. gobad2003

gobad2003 Well-Known Member

With all the work Don puts into these releases it more than justifies the price. I'm willing to pay a little more for a great product rather than a little less for an average product. Every once and awhile you have to pay a little more for a juicy steak that's ok by me if it means a great release. If you don't like it than stick with the old AB versions or Arrow's version and be happy with your average hamburger nothing wrong with that. I can't wait for these awesome releases, good job once again Synapse:banana:

12. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

Oh, I agree 100%. I'm just not a big fan of these particular titles.

Believe me, I look forward to their future release announcements! :)

13. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I'm willing to bet it also has to do with the fact that so many people (on Bluray.com especially) have been complaining about the price and stating how they are ordering the cheaper Arrow versions instead. I think he was just pointing out that those versions are cheaper, but his version will be far more superior and worth the extra money if you are a fan.

14. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I still don't like that they've only made it available through their site as that price isn't going to fluctuate like it would if it were released elsewhere. That's the only thing that has annoyed me about this release. The steep price plus international shipping fees is making this a hard one for me to justify getting.

15. Funktion

Funktion Member

I appreciate Don's work, and I'm far from being a fan of Arrow's releases (if you read my post history, you will see I'm quite critical of them), but in this case I have to point out we are certainly not talking about drastic differences between releases, just minor tweaks to the transfers already available (the UK releases look pretty decent, especially in motion; I own them, and these are among the best transfers Arrow has released).

And considering you can currently purchase a pack with both titles, on a steel-book, full of special features that won't be included in the US release, for £12.76 (less, if you are ordering outside of the EU, because they remove VAT), which makes it less than half of the price Synapse is charging for one of the titles, and that's before we add the shipping charges, I have to ask if these small improvements are worth the price-tag that comes attach to them?

16. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

17. burieddeep

burieddeep Dr. Obrero

It's not worth paying 5x the amount. I have the the Arrow double feature steelbook and I'm happy with it.

18. HoldenMcNeil

HoldenMcNeil Member

This looks amazing and all, but I still can't justify the price. If they had some sort of deal where if you buy both you would get some sort of discount, would be great, but between my PS4 and the couple games that I wan't I'm pretty much broke until next year.

19. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Same here! :evil: Don said he'd start shipping them out in the order that the orders were placed originally. I placed my order straight away...so hopefully they should show up any day now.

20. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA