The 2012 Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 27, 2012.

1. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

It's odd that Dominion was made first. It looks like a made-for-TV effort when compared to Beginning. I enjoyed Beginning very much.

2. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I'm surprised by all the rave reviews for Murder Party, because I thought it was tedious. An absolute chore to sit through.

3. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Ugh, holy crap last Monday I also saw Braveheart in a theater, then Thursday I went to a bar to see Wayne's World and then that night we went out to see Cloud Atlas at the midnight IMAX showing. Two three hour movies! My friends are trying to draw me from the true path away from watching horror this month. But I stayed strong. I stayed strong:

[​IMG]
    10/24 The Picture of Dorian Gray (1973)
    An engaging take on the story with very good narration that truly helps to carry this telemovie. What I really like about this version is the underlying homosexual subtext they bring into it. It's never overt, always sly, but readily there. The portrait takes on a very Basil Gogos vibe as it degrades and I love how committed they are to that image by the end. [I didn't actually watch the Elvira version although I own the beta tape.]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    10/25 Mystery Science Theater 3000: Mad Monster (1942)
    A somewhat good plot with the mad scientist being more clever then usual in getting his revenge. It's also great to see Glenn Strange with a substantial speaking roll along side George Zucco. Still the execution is tedious without much of a payoff in any sense of the word. Watching these early MST3k episodes it's something of a wonder this show caught on. Although I enjoy Weinstein on Cinematic Titanic his voice is awful for Tom Servo and his sidekick scientist shtick is even worse. To think Kevin Murphy got a banner saying "TOM SERVO'S NEW VOICE SUCKS!" Still this is one of the better early riffings.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    10/25 Mystery Science Theater 3000: Soultaker (1990)
    An ambitious little film that fails on literally every level. Vivian Schilling is pretty hot though not in a "Hollywood" kind of way but in a girl next door kinda way. Her mom looks exactly like Robert Blake from Lost Highway which is creepy as hell. The MST3k skits are very unbalanced here with the SoL sets skits falling flat while the Mads are some of the very best they've done. The riffing is top notch though with this film of course being perfect fodder for the boys. Both Joel and TV's Frank coming back was awesome and I'm glad they did towards the end of the series.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    10/25 The Real Ghostbusters: The Boogieman Cometh (1986)
    Lots of great animation here and a good story that builds very organically. Unfortunately it seems to run out of bit of steam by the end. The plot's so similar to Monster's Inc. that you almost wonder if Sony could sue Disney.

4. hulkyduck

hulkyduck Well-Known Member

29th october

39. The Innkeepers (2011)

40. House Of The Devil (2009)

41. The Blair Witch Project.(1999)

5. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

October 29th:

The Beyond (1981)
    The Evil (1978)
    The Amityville Horror (1979)
    Stir of Echoes (1999)
    Silent Hill (2006)
    Poltergeist (1982)

6. thrashard76

thrashard76 Thrash or be Thrashed

29th - The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning (Unrated) (2006 - DVD)
    29th - The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003 - DVD)
    29th - Friday The 13th (Killer Cut) (2009 - Blu-ray)

7. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

October 29
    [​IMG]
    Fatal Games (1984)

[​IMG]
    Halloween III Season of the Witch (1982)

8. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

That one was always one of my favourite eps of Real Ghostbusters. That and the one where the guy wanted to sell his soul to get rid of all the chickens in the world. :)

9. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

October 29:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

The Wicker Man: Director's Cut (1973):
    I'm not sure which cut is considered the better version of this film but I chose the Director's cut. Is the Theatrical Version good? Anyway I loved this movie! Everything worked for me: the music, the religious aspects (not usually a fan of religious horror), Edward Woodward's increasing disgust at the "pagan rituals" practiced by the residents of Summerisle, Christopher Lee, nudity, cool animal masks, the actual Wicker Man, the house by house search, the humour, etc., etc., ....I liked all of it. I liked it so much that I really want to check out the Theatrical Cut next to compare the two.

Dead Mary: Starts off like one of those Bloody Mary movies...say her name three times in front of the mirror...but then gets much more....ambitious. Lots of cool ideas that aren't quite pulled off, plus some bad, bad acting really hurts this movie. Still probably worth checking out but only as a rental.

Dark Ride: Whatever. Kids sneak into a haunted house ride for the night, crazy killer has just escaped from mental institution, breasts are bared, weed is smoked, people are killed, twist endings occur (tho not a huge surprise), and I moved on to my next movie.

The Signal: The first two parts (transmissions) of this movie had me totally in love with this film, the third part almost lost me but managed to bring me back around right at the end. Don't want to say too much about this one as it's better experienced cold, but this came pretty close to being a perfect movie for me.

Evidence: Can't quite decide if I liked this or not. The first half is a fairly typical (unlikeable) people out in the woods and something attacks them, found footage film. Then the movie takes a left turn and goes video game. Not totally sure I liked the video game, or lack of explanation, but I give these guys credit for doing something different. I'm still not sure exactly why the dude was filming everything in the first place though.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  10. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I prefer the theatrical cut. The theatrical cut begins with Sgt. Howie flying to Summerisle. I thought the scenes before that made his assignment way too suspicous right from the beginning. Something's up. The theatrical cut makes it look like he's just doing a routine assignment.

11. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    In honor of this movie ad I clipped a few years ago, I watched (TONIGHT) this 1980 Re-release Double Feature:

[​IMG]

12. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Bram Stoker's Dracula (theatrical)
    Dracula (1979) (theatrical)
    C.H.U.D
    Sisters
    Children Of The Corn
    Ruby

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  13. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

October 29th

[​IMG]

Thank goodness I caught this before I want to bed last night and DVR'd it, so I could watch it tonight. I didn't see any promos for this whatsoever, and it's been so long since the last season that I wondered how it would hold up. It was hilarious, with an especially good Hellraiser gag.

14. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

October 29th
    [​IMG]

15. thrashard76

thrashard76 Thrash or be Thrashed

30th - A Nightmare On Elm Street (2010 - Blu-ray)
    30th - Freddy Vs. Jason (2003 - DVD)

16. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

Oct 29
    More Brains A Return To The Living Dead
    His Name Was Jason 30 Years of Friday The 13th
    Never Sleep Again The Elm Street Legacy

17. Gore Lunatic

Gore Lunatic Violenza Carnale

Tombs Of The Blind Dead DVD
    The Living Dead At Manchester Morgue BD
    City Of The Living Dead BD

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

18. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

This is a good point. And this is definitely a situation where both cuts have pluses and minuses.

I still prefer the director's cut. It has substantially more Christopher Lee. It also establishes Edward Woodward's character a little better. And you get extended versions of some of the better songs--especially some funny bits from "The Landlord's Daughter." Best of all, it returns Britt Ekland's ritual dance to its proper spot in the shooting script. In the theatrical cut it happens so quickly that Howie's overwrought reaction seems a little ridiculous. In the director's cut it happens near the end--after he's been tormented for days. And here's an oddity. The director's cut doesn't include the breakfast scene following that night, where Ekland talks about how Howie didn't accept her invitation. So even though it's much longer overall, it doesn't include all the footage from the theatrical cut.

For me the only bothersome negative with the director's cut is directly related to one of the pluses. I'll always take more Christopher Lee over less Christopher Lee. But his initial appearance in the director's cut comes much earlier and in a much less dramatic way. The theatrical cut builds up substantial mystery around his identity before he finally appears during Howie's visit to his home.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts on Murder Party Paff. For me it's much more of a modestly successful micro budget flick than a standout with a lot of rewatch appeal.

19. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I did not know this happened! I must track this down. The next season can't come soon enough!

20. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

October 29th

[​IMG]
    October Madness #49: HauntedWeen (1991)
    Rating: ★★★

The Burber House of Horrors was an annual tradition in a small Kentucky town until a young girl was murdered and Eddie, the young boy who did it, vanished into the woods with his mother. Now 20 years later a fraternity is about to go under if they don't pay their past dues and the boys decide to revamp the old Burber House of Horrors as a fundraiser. But Eddie ins't about to let them get away will all of the scares.

Low-budget fun featuring clichéd but humourous college-aged characters, including Hanks who has the worst/best Kentucky accent ever, HauntedWeen doesn't take itself too seriously but still manages to develop a subplot involving relationship drama that's more serious than most rom-coms. HauntedWeen contains some creative kills including a dude's head being knocked off via a baseball bat after a baseball is shoved down his throat and an explosive finale that's hilarious unexpected. The acting is bad, but not half bad, and although the film does drag quite a bit in the middle the final set piece at the haunted house more than makes up for the price of admission. A lost classic that hopefully now gets re-discovered by slasher and horror fans.