The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread - 2016 Edition!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 26, 2016.

1. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

Oct 11th-

[​IMG]

Cat People (1982) It's been so long...Since I last watched Paul Schrader's remake. This was a classic on HBO for the nudity when I was growing up. I enjoy this version but prefer the original.

Film count so far- 21 movies

2. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

Ratings are out of ****.

10/10/16 - The Last Horror Film (1982) **
    An aspiring director with a massive ego and miniscule talent pursues his fantasy actress obsession to extreme ends...and perhaps fatal ends.

Sporadic pacing, some stilted acting and dialog, and repetitive and progress stalling scenes drag this film down. It’s clear there isn't much story here, and what it has is excessively padded in order to achieve even the sub-ninety minute run time. Some of the kills are amusing, some are boring and unimaginative, almost all sadly are spoiled by being poorly shot night scenes. A couple in jokes about the horror film industry - such as the public confusing the events for a publicity stunt, and Munro's character presciently mentioning her next big horror film would be titled "Scream" - stood out well.

Caroline Munro sporting Deborah Harry hair still looked good (but being only 33 at the time, she should be), sadly she's one of the few women in the film who doesn't show off much skin (not even a decent bare leg or midriff shot, and performing one of the tamest shower scenes in horror film history). Acting wise she's quite competent with what she's given to work with, which isn't much. Likewise Joe Spinell does wonders elevating derivative material as the fanatic filmmaker, but apart from humorous anxiety hallucinations little rises above mediocre. Overall I found the film a chore to get through, and if it wasn't for a (not uncommon for Troma) tongue in cheek end twist I'd have given it an even lower rating.

10/11/16 - Fascination (1979) **1/2
    Jean Rollin continues his fascination with lesbian vampires alone in a castle.

The story is about a bandit on the run from his former partners in crime who stumbles on a gathering of women with a deadly secret to reveal. He lets his ego and curiosity override his caution regarding their forewarnings, with predictable results. And there isn't a huge lot more to the story than that summation - the film is mainly an excuse to show long, lingering shots of the grotesque contrasted with the beautiful, and to show hot ladies getting naked and making out. And the ladies, particularly the leads, certainly are stunning.

Almost pure style over substance, this is a film to experience, not think about. But Rollins skill at style is evident here, such that I rate the film higher than the below average its thin story deserves, although honestly I doubt I'll ever rewatch it.

10/12/16 - Misery (1990) ***1/2
    No need to describe this one, everyone knows it backwards and forwards, and doesn't need to have it recommended. I'd seen it long ago, but never got around to assigning it a rating in my collection list. After rewatching, I waffled between *** and ***1/2, based on a couple nagging flaws, but finally let the performances of the leads tip the balance. Bates, Caan, Farnsworth, Sternhagen, and Bacall are just that good.

This film is packed with memorable scenes, with no need to mention that special one which will still be included in shock montages made a half century from now. Likewise nothing needs added about Bates's performance, from giddy delight to hair trigger bent, the brilliance of it is widely noted and inarguable. But among those previously mentioned memorable scenes is one among several that proves Caan wasn't completely outpaced in the acting race. A scene just under 19 minute in, when he first comes to realize how wacked Annie is, where before no thought other than recovery had entered his mind, and the "oh, I am totally fucked" look washes over his face. No doubt is left that his character is as aware as we the audience are of how far up the creek he is.

Richard Farnsworth and Frances Sternhagen chew up the scenery as secondary characters, as always proving what a complete treat it is to see them on screen. Unfortunately their roles derail the mood of the film, adding levity in a way that doesn't quite fit, as well as being the source of a critical and clichéd flaw of character behavior logic (fortunately of minimized consequence as it occurs close to the film’s conclusion). Despite the jarring impact of meshing these tonally discordant but otherwise excellently executed plotlines, the film still easily stands as one of the best King adaptions.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  3. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Great. Thanks a lot! I was perfectly happy forgetting about The Bunnyman, which I thought was pretty horrible. Not I find out there's a sequel and I have to watch it to see if it's any better.

indrid13 likes this.
  4. maskull

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Movie #37 & 38:

Penny Dreadful (2006): This could've been a decent single location movie but it never really works with any chills or claustrophobic moments. Maybe that's because I just can't relate to someone being afraid to be in a car. The movie seems to not be able to relate to that either because it more or less drops that conceit once the killer arrives. Our girl looks pretty comfy in the car actually. I never felt her need to get out.

The Last House In The Woods (2007): Italian Texas Chainsaw Massacre as shot by Argento? Don't get too excited because that may be what they were going for but they don't really deliver. What they do deliver on is the gore. Sure it's mostly show the wound after the cutting/sawing has already happened, but there's lots of blood, innards, and even a bit of really gross puss to keep you interested while the actual story pacing does it's best to bore you to tears. Kind of weird that at one point it seems like I'm supposed to be cheering for the cannibal family, and another the douche bag attempted rapists. I didn't. The Score was pretty nice though.

Workshed, Rocker10 and indrid13 like this.
  5. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 12

Ended up being a bit Wes Craven themed tonight. 41 films to this point.

1. Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein (Blu) 1948 - Always liked these two. Bigger fan of Laurel and Hardy, but these two are a close second. Always a fun movie sporting a slew of the Universal Monsters. Can't go to wrong with this one.

2. Wes Craven's New Nightmare (Blu) 1994 - The last of the movies in this particular Blu-Ray box set. Lots of interesting things going on in this film. Not great, but good. This series needs a better boxset similar to what was done with the Friday the 13th set as well as the big Halloween collection. This set pales in comparison. Most of the movies are 2 up on a disc. Nice job Warner, you blew it with this set.

3. Scream (Blu) 1996 - I upgraded to Blu but really hadn't watched these movies since they were new to home video back in the day. I still haven't seen 4 so I figured why not burn through these in order. Seems like at the time the genre was in a bit of a slump and this help re-ignite it a bit. These movies always seem to be predictable, but they are fun to watch from time to time I guess. Been a long while for me.

Got my The Hills Have Eyes today from Arrow Video. Another reason I love Arrow. This set looks to be top notch! Watching it soon.

Workshed, indrid13 and maskull like this.
  6. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

OCTOBER 12TH:

229346-d1.jpg

Rocker10 and indrid13 like this.
  7. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

October 12th:

NEW ENGLAND GHOST TOURS

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Rocker10, indrid13 and Natas like this.
  8. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Movie #14:
    Timecrimes (2007)
    First time viewing (Amazon Prime)
    **** (out of 5)
    Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge Guideline:
    12. Time is Not What it Seems Day. Anything with time travel or that takes place in an alternate timeline.

9. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

9. The Rage: Carrie 2 (Katt Shea, 1999) (3.5/5)

Although this was an entirely unnecessary sequel, it's actually a semi-decent film. The ties to the first film are woven throughout the movie, and actually feel organic. And yet, it sets itself apart enough to justify it's existence. Somehow, it manages to strike a really nice balance between referencing the original and being it's own story. How rare. It's not great, but it is good. Emily Bergl is a different kind of outcast than Carrie White, and the character she creates is very watchable and empathetic. She's also fairly cute. The film definitely falls into some of the late 90's high school movie cliches. Several of the "teens" look much too old. Scenes outside the school display a ridiculous variety of activities all happening at once. Social cliques that border on caricature. But a lot of the characters feel fully realized, especially Amy Irving as Sue Snell. And the structure of the film mirrors the first in a satisfying way.

The film's biggest problem is probably that it's about 15 minutes too long...and a few poor casting choices. Or maybe I'm the only one who can't stand Mena Suvari? Fortunately she doesn't last too long.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
  10. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Not to mention, Brad from Home Improvement!! I like The Rage as well......I think it's underrated. Not the best by any means but it's a decent watch.

indrid13 likes this.
  11. maskull

You're not the only one. I remember enjoying this one back in the day. I've been meaning to give it a re-watch.

indrid13 likes this.
  12. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Oct. 13th.

Lust for a Vampire (1971)-A pretty entertaining entry in Hammer's Karnstein trilogy though at this point it's obvious they were running out of ideas and consequently this film is somewhat derivative of earlier efforts. The Ralph Bates character of Giles Barton in particular is a weaker more annoying version of the Devil worshipping charlatan he portrayed in the previous year's 'Taste The Blood of Dracula'. The film also suffers from one of the worst musical scores I've heard for a Hammer film, perhaps with the exception of Dracula A.D. 1972, it reaches its nadir with an impossibly irritating, saccharine love song called 'Strange Love' during a vampiric seduction scene.
    Overall, the film is nicely paced though it drags a little in the final third. The eroticism aspect is amped up quite a bit with a constant array of scantily clad beauties, as well as Yutte Stensgard as a memorable leading lady. The horror genre had evolved quite a bit since 1958's 'Horror of Dracula' and the studio was doing its best to keep pace.
    It's not a standout Hammer effort, but I certainly have fond memories stemming from seeing it at an early age on VHS. It's one I've viewed repeatedly through the years and it still holds up quite well for me.
    7/10.

Trick or Treat (1986)-Heavy metal themed supernatural slasher which takes place around Halloween. I was a huge fan of both horror film and heavy metal in my high school days, so 'Trick or Treat' was a no brainer. Throw in some cool cameos by Ozzy Osbourne as an Evangelical preacher and Gene Simmons (KISS) as a radio dj and I was sold.
    Marc Price (Family Ties) is pretty awesome as the bullied metal nerd out for revenge on his tormentors, when his favorite heavy metal hero dies the stage is set for some revenge from beyond the grave. The film has much to offer; some teen comedy style levity, an imposing villain in Sammi Curr, charismatic characters, and a pulsating metal soundtrack provided by Fastway.
    I must say I'm most surprised that a sequel was never attempted. Sammi Curr had much potential as another cinematic franchise maniac along the lines of Freddy Krueger. Add in the eighties paranoia about Satanism and the ill effects of Heavy Metal on impressionable youth and you have a film emblematic of the era it came from.
    It's not a perfect film by any means, some of the high school students look like they are approaching their thirties for one thing, however the fun factor is high on this one. 8/10.

13. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Mientras Duermes / (Sleep Tight) (2011)

[​IMG]

Mute Witness (1995)

[​IMG]

Rocker10 and indrid13 like this.
  14. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Come on, man..... what cha think of these? I've never heard of either one and a quick look via IMDB makes both sound really interesting. But I'd honor your quick review more than 100 random ones out on imdb and beyond.

indrid13 likes this.
  15. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I remember watching Mute Witness a few times on VHS way way back. I have no idea how it would stand up now, but I remember liking it quite a bit at the time. A mute lady witnesses a snuff film being made and is terrorized in an abandoned warehouse by the group of men who made it. Kind of want to revisit it myself, now that I think about it....

indrid13 and maskull like this.
  16. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Sleep Tight is a Spanish thriller. Watched it with Subtitles. It's a slow burn. Basically , it's this creep concierge of some apartments that has a infatuation with this one women tenant. But he's trusted with everyone in the building, so no one suspects anything. It makes you wonder what these guys really do when your not home if you live where there's a landlord/concierge/doorman who has full access to your apartment. What makes the film real interesting to me is that although he is a "bad guy" and you want to see him caught, BUT you can't help to want him at some points in the film NOT to get caught. Puts the viewer in a torn position. It's a very well made film, this is no cheapo.

That's basically the story. It's one of these little hidden gems from the 90's. It's not a gore fest by any means, more of a thriller. Was very different than anything put out then.

If you had to see one, out of the two Sleep Tight is the better film imho. But I wouldn't disregard Mute Witness either.

17. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Keep the great write-ups coming, everyone! Really enjoying them.

indrid13 and Hatchetwarrior like this.
  18. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

[​IMG]

Killbilies - Not great, takes an age to start, over 50 minutes before anything really happens, then we get a few kills, a couple are gory but nothing we have not seen before.

Rocker10, indrid13 and maskull like this.
  19. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

October 13th
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

31) Shelley: Why this has flown so far under the radar is beyond me because this might be the biggest surprise of the month for me. I’ve seen a number of maternity related horror films and this is one of the best. The majority of the narrative plays the psychological angle well, constantly making you question if the pregnant girl is paranoid or if the couple she is the surrogate for has a more insidious agenda. The cast was fantastic, the atmosphere was spooky and the finale disturbing, but leaves you with a sense of uncertainty. A great, slow burn psychological horror movie all around. (8/10)

32) The Ones Below: I was expecting something a bit different going into this and that turned out to be a good and bad thing. The bad being that this was far too predictable early on, the good being that the twist towards the end took me off guard, making the antagonists’’ motive that much more unsettling. Other than that, something just felt neutered about the script. There were a number of moments that could have been capitalized on to make this a bit creepier, but instead the filmmakers took the safe route. (6/10)

33) Antibirth (2016): An oddball horror comedy that takes notes from Hennelotter and Cronenberg. Natasha Lyonne was funny as the druggie, pregnant woman (even if she is basically playing the same character as the one she plays on OITNB) and Chloe Sevigny is great as usual. The story did hold my interest but I felt like there was a bit too much scene padding at certain points to stretch out the runtime. The finale is where this thing kind of stumble a bit too much not connecting all the dots and leaving too many things unresolved. Still fun overall. (7/10)

20. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

11 10/06 The Curse (1987)
    I didn't realize Wil Wheaton was in here and he's pretty good; much more sympathetic than he EVER was in TNG. I liked that they tied it together with infidelity although they didn't utilize that too much. The Doc's initial summation that it was "blue ice" was rather ingenious and fits well with the plot. The mutated kid in the football jersey was very reminiscent of the Pig Demon in Night of the Demons. The possessed house sequence at the end went on for a bit too long but with some tightening up would have been a more effective finale.

12 10/07 The Colour Out of Space ( Die Farbe ) (2010)
    I ended up watching this in German with no subtitles. My High School German was just enough to glean an understanding and at this point the plot is so cookie-cutter I doubt I missed much. I didn't like the flash back narrative to this, especially since it's a guy flashing back to WWII who then flashes back to pre-war events. I don't feel it added anything and almost everything that happened could have either been done as a single pre-war narrative, WW2/reconstruction setting or even a contemporary one. The glimmer of moments were good but overall was a sluggish narrative. I did enjoy the concept of a shooting B&W with color SFX but somehow the execution here left me a little underwhelmed.

13 10/08 The Monolith Monsters (1957)
    Without any pre-planning on my part Svengoolie scheduled Universal's most Colour-Out-Of-Space-eqsue film from the vault for my meteor theme week, but unfortunately it's been so bright and sunny that I couldn't get reception through the thick with greens trees. But it's such a fitting film I decided to throw my DVD on anyways. This ends up matching oddly well with the silicate based foes from last week's Sven, Island of Terror.

This is probably one of the more hard core sci-fi films made in that era. A conflict solved almost entirely through deductive reasoning and little to no anti-intellectual push back. It's just laid out very naturally as "this is the way it should be." Data is collected, hypothesis are developed, tested and re-examined when results differentiate. An OODA loop if I've ever seen one.

My only thought is that if simple salt solutions were curing people then they probably wouldn't need an injection at all because humans are loaded with salt. The immune system uses salts like ammo! So unless the body wasn't responding (and the doctor does mention the girl did NOT have fever) it's unlikely a single shot (which the doctor repeatedly states was all that was administered) would effectively be the cure. If anything injecting the common cold would have acted more effectively! But then how would our geologists figure out salt as a retardant? They wouldn't have followed up on that line of reasoning knowing the doc's remedy was essentially a flu shot. Would have made for a War of the Worlds like ending; germs are the cure!
    Still this is one of my favorites.

Workshed, Kim Bruun, Rocker10 and 2 others like this.