The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread - 2016 Edition!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

the wailing.jpg

I have very little clue what just happened, but I fucking loved it! I don't want to give away anything about the story--just rent it.

Rocker10, indrid13 and maskull like this.
  2. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

OCTOBER 13TH:

111795-d0.jpg disney1.jpg 250129-d0.jpg

Rocker10, indrid13 and Anthropophagus like this.
  3. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

October 13th:

MASTER CARPENTER

[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Movie 39 & 40:

The Task (2011): I don't know if anyone remembers a show on MTV from the early 2000's called FEAR...or I guess more precisely, MTV's Fear. It was a reality show where a group of kids are dropped off at a supposedly haunted location to stay the night and then one by one they're sent out into the dark, scary building to complete some task like standing in a dark room for 10 minutes or wrap themselves up in a straight jacket alone in the dark, etc. The kids (early 20's--Jeez I'm old!) would freak out, occasionally I would get creeped out. It was a pretty fun show!

The people who made this movie must've seen Fear at some point. This movie is Fear except they go further with the concept and turn it into a slasher-esque movie and quite honestly, it never did creep me out. But I enjoyed it for being a Fear rip-off. Some kind of weird nostalgia I guess.

The Collection (2012): I don't know what to say. I really liked The Collector and this one started out kind of fun n gory. I was actually excited when there was a team of trained army-esque dudes and dudette going into The Collector's pad to take him out. Visions of cool traps tearing these suckas to shreds danced in my head.....but the filmmakers forgot the cool traps. They also forgot what made the last film work, the cat n mouse tension. This one is just trying to up the gore and the dead bodies without really any point to any of it. I'm pretty disappointed.

5. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

in case anyone's interested in MTV's Fear: First ep

indrid13 likes this.
  6. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Oct. 13th.
    Two more!!

Nightmare (1964)-Underrated psychological thriller from Hammer studios. Ghostly apparitions, madness, murder and some genuinely creepy moments. I was surprised how much I loved this often overlooked gem, I found it far superior to 'Paranoiac' which was also quite good. Intriguing throughout with a stellar cast. 8/10.

The Evil of Frankenstein (1964)-A substandard entry in the Hammer Frankenstein franchise. It lacks the creative spark, innovation and originality of far superior films such as 'Created Woman' and 'Must be Destroyed!'. The worst aspect is the terrible monster make-up which is a shoddy looking rip-off of Jack Pierce's original iconic Karloff creation. The make-up looks like it's ready to fall off in spots and the Monster often looks like he's wearing a dollar store fright mask. The story has potential but eventually falters and goes nowhere. It does boast wonderful performances by Peter Cushing as the doctor, and Katy Wild as the endearing 'Beggar Girl', the sets are stunning as well. Luckily at under ninety minutes, 'The Evil of Frankenstein' is a relatively brief viewing experience. 6/10.

7. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

October 13
    [​IMG]

The Taking of Deborah Logan (2014)

Probably not the best movie to watch, having been dealing with Alzheimer's in the family recently, but still a well put together film that's genuinely disturbing.

Rocker10, indrid13 and maskull like this.
  8. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

Awesome! Used to really enjoy that show. Thanks!

9. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

Oct 12th-

Cat People Double Feature-

[​IMG]

Cat People (1942) Really love the original film. There's lot's of great moments. And great imagery. But The Curse of the Cat People (1944) is amazing. Just a haunting and beautiful film.

Film count so far 23 movies

Workshed, X-human, maskull and 2 others like this.
  10. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 13

3 today and 44 total for month.

1. The Hills Have Eyes (Blu) 1977 - Always liked this movie. It's even better with the recent Arrow set. Love the work Arrow does and they did it again with this film. The movie itself is a bit oddball, but that's the magic of it.

2. Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man (Blu) 1943 - Working my way through the recent Wolf Man Legacy set on Blu. What struck me is how good these movies look. The movie itself is fun as well.

3. Scream 2 (Blu) 1997 - Working my way through this series as well. Lot's of Wes Craven this marathon. Predictable for the most part as was the first one, but is fun to watch once in awhile.

The weekend is almost here. Ready to keep the player running a lot. Still have quite a few I saved up for this years run.

maskull, indrid13 and satans-sadists like this.
  11. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Movie #15:
    The Beastmaster (1982)
    Rewatch (Divimax DVD)
    ***1/2 (out of 5)
    Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge Guideline:
    13. Dragons Ate My Blacksmith Day. A stone cold fantasy. Or a regular fantasy if you’re a softy.

[​IMG]
    Movie #16:
    The Hills Have Eyes (1977)
    Rewatch (Arrow Blu)
    **** (out of 5)

Still really enjoy this one, near the top of Craven's filmography for me. I've heard a lot online in recent years about the remake being one of those "easily better than the original" remakes in the same breath as The Thing, etc. I liked the remake, but to me the original stands tall. The entire point of the story is to compare the civilized family with the savage one, I felt that was completely lost in the remake when the savages were changed to hulking monsters.

Yesterday at 7:48 AM

Workshed, Rocker10, maskull and 2 others like this.
  12. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I loved this movie. Probably the second best time travel movie ever made, behind 12 Monkeys. And yes, that includes anything with Michael J. Fox and Christoper Lloyd.

Sleep Tight was a good thriller. I also highly recommend the making-of feature on the DVD. It's as long as the movie itself, and walks through the making of the movie from pre-production to release. And Mute Witness is enjoyable too, even if it falls apart a bit in the end. There are two amazing set pieces; the opening one in the deserted studio (one of the most tense sequences you'll ever see), and another claustrophobic one in the lead's apartment. That one features the funniest female full frontal nudity scene you'll ever see (most female nudity in film is for titillation, and male frontal nudity is almost always played for laughs. This movie flips that dynamic)

13. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Gonna have to check this out. I loved The Chaser, but wasn't as impressed by The Yellow Sea.

14. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

October 13th: Evils of the Night
    [​IMG]
    A dish of many flavours. We get space vampires, unsuccessful teen sex comedy, and a run-in with a couple of homicidal locals. The whole thing is cheaply made (just look at those costumes the aging space vampires are wearing), poorly structured, and obviously lacking in the scare department. For some reason, EotN reminded me of Frozen Scream, but unlike FS, EotN actually has a serviceable cast. Neville Brand looks alarmingly haggard, however.
    [​IMG]
    I managed to get through it out of curiosity, because the whole thing was so haphazardly put together that I couldn't quite figure out where the story was going. That said, I wasn't immensely entertained.

Rocker10, maskull, indrid13 and 2 others like this.
  15. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Got my Victor Crowley on yesterday afternoon. I was in the mood for some light hearted fare. Movie is a lot of fun. I remember driving down to Providence one afternoon to check this out on the big screen. If my memory serves me correct, I believe this was only shown on less than 100 screens nationwide. The 40 minute drive was well worth it. My buddy and I had a blast.

upload_2016-10-14_7-37-59.jpeg [​IMG]

Workshed, Rocker10, maskull and 3 others like this.
  16. Swampthing82

Swampthing82 Active Member

I watched I Know What You Did Last Summer last night for the first time in over a decade. It's not a bad movie. It held my interest throughout and its nostalgic for me. The one thing that I noticed though (besides Freddy's horrible acting) is how tame it is. No nudity, no gore, and only mild swearing. This would easily be a PG-13 today.

Rocker10, maskull and indrid13 like this.
  17. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

"Gary Busey on Celebrity Big Brother? Nick Nolte's mug shot? That shit ain't nothing, check out the look I've got!"

18. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

10. Carrie (David Carson, 2002) (1/5)

Oh god. What the hell just happened? This was the first time I'd seen this. It's....awful. Profoundly bad. The first thing I noticed (well, after the general cheap look of virtually everything) was how frantic and yet unmotivated the editing was. Perhaps since nothing of any interest happens in the first hour of this watered down version, they decided to give Carrie a few crazily-edited freak-outs (despite nothing actually happening), just to keep people awake. Chris Hargensen and Billy Nolan are horribly miscast. The words coming out of Emilie de Ravin's mouth might be mean, but I don't know if she's capable of being anything other than the cherubic angel she played on Lost. And Billy Nolan is supposed to be threatening and dark, isn't he? Because this guy looked like he should have been playing a flute in a marching band. Katharine Isabelle (god, it pains me to say this) and whoever played Sue Snell are terrible in this. Isabelle overacts to the point where she seems to think this is a cartoon, giggling and gawking and bouncing around whenever she's on screen. And whoever plays Snell is attempting to give Sharon Stone-levels of attitude during her police interrogation - she fails in a spectacular fashion.

Angela Bettis, poor thing, still manages, somehow, to maintain her dignity in this. Despite everything around her sucking, she's a great actor and a good choice to play Carrie. I felt for her, and enjoyed the progression of her relationship with her mother. Patricia Clarkson is just fine as Margaret White, though she's given much less to work with then Piper Laurie.

There is one nice touch, one decent scene, one well-executed interesting idea that I feel compelled to mention. When Carrie is waiting for Tommy Ross to show up, and begins to fear he isn't coming, we slowly see items around the house starting to levitate. As she becomes more and more agitated, more items being to float higher and higher. Despite the obviously low special effects budget, this scene is played very subtly, and works very well. It's good. But that's it. That scene, plus Bettis (and Clarkson too) are all that this movie has going for it. That gets it one star.

P.S. This was supposed to be a backdoor pilot? What the fuck was the running story going to be? Carrie white arrives in a new town every week, Littlest Hobo-style, tries to make friends, but then something goes wrong, dozens of people die, and she has to move on? Sounds like a winner.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
  19. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Oct. 14th.

Q-The Winged Serpent (1982). I love a horror film with an original premise and this Larry Cohen effort does not disappoint.
    'Q' features a top notch cast including Richard Roundtree, John Carradine, Michael Moriarty, and Candy Clark. The film itself is a unique blend of gritty urban cop drama, horror film, and creature feature with awesome stop motion animation effects. It's also genuinely funny, Jimmy Quinn (Moriarty), the film's central anti-hero must go down as one of the fantasy and horror genre's most eccentric and entertaining characters. The chemistry between Moriarty and Clark is priceless, and Clark is endlessly endearing as the devoted girlfriend of the petty criminal and hard luck loser.
    It's a film populated with unusually charismatic characters and strong performances, so much so that one is totally engrossed into an implausible plot about a giant winged Aztec lizard reincarnated to wreak havoc on New York City's topless sunbathers and window washers. I'm a huge fan of both Ray Harryhausen and the original King Kong (1933), and this film pays tribute to both quite nicely while retaining its originality. It still seems as fresh and vibrant as the day I rented it on VHS in the eighties.
    Definitely my top Larry Cohen film. 9/10.

The Brides of Dracula (1960). Definite top tier Hammer film and one of the greatest Dracula sequels in the franchise despite the absence of....Dracula!?! Peter Cushing delivers a standout performance as Dr. Van Helsing and the whole film is infused with a vibrant energy and creepy gothic atmosphere. The sets are among some of the most impressive I've seen in a Hammer film, and a few scenes are genuinely eerie and quite memorable. It also boasts a very thrilling climax that is very inspired and unlike any I've seen for a vampire film. Cushing was one agile fellow!! Perfect musical score as well. 9/10.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
    Workshed, Rocker10, maskull and 4 others like this.
  20. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

October 14th
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

34) Yoga Hosers: I originally had no intentions on watching this because I absolutely loathed Kevin Smith’s previous effort, “Tusk”, but curiosity got the best of me. I though the story was a bit more engaging and there were a few jokes that were pretty funny, but I still wasn’t crazy about this one. Most of the jokes surround either how silly Canadians talk or a string of overdone dick and fart humor. The plot was barley noteworthy and the conclusion too simple. A step in the right direction for Smith if anything, just nothing I want to see again. (5/10)

35) Human Centipede 3: Final Sequence: Tom Six’s “Human Centipede” films are polarizing too many, but I am a huge fan of the original film. After watching this, it really is a sad state of affairs to see a franchise fall so far downhill. If anything it was smart on Tom Six’s part to go the over the top comedy route with this because if he had played it serious this would have been completely unwatchable. Unfortunately, Tom Six doesn’t seem to have a grasp on what makes something funny. The jokes all fall flat and the bad acting from the supporting cast doesn’t help matters. Dieter Laser and Laurence R. Harvey both do what they can with the material they had, but nothing could really save this from failure. (3/10)