The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread -- 2018!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 27, 2018.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

October 18th:

MURDER HOUSE.JPG

American Horror Story: Apocalypse Episode 6 "Return To Murder House" (DVR / FX) - The show finally gets back on track with a terrific return to its season one stomping grounds. Extremely fun episode, and directed by series regular Sarah Paulson. I loved the idea of bringing Anton LaVey to the house, as the series has never been a stranger to incorporating real life characters. This season as a whole is still one big hot mess, but this episode by itself was pretty great.

The Purge Episode 7 "Lovely Dark And Deep" (DVR / USA) - Not much to say here, just more of the same. Just a whole lot of uninteresting people talking about nothing. At least it's almost over, with only 3 episodes left I might as well see it through.

The Haunting Of Hill House Episodes 7 & 8 "Eulogy” & “Witness Marks" (NetFlix) - Episodes 6 - 8 of this series are a total slog, you're basically watching a funeral in real time. They could have easily tightened these three episodes into one single episode and had a much more satisfying 8 episode series. The series is a slow-burn, but these episodes bring it to a screeching halt.

Halloween (1978) (blu-ray) - I'm struggling with what to write about this one, because I have nothing to say that hasn't already been said. It's an annual staple. I usually try to go through 1 - 7 every year, but with this year's direct sequel to the original, I think I'm going to take the year off and just settle for the original and the new one. Who knows, I may have to squeeze in my personal favorite sequel (Halloween 5) before the month is over.

MISS LESLIE'S DOLLS.JPG

Miss Leslie’s Dolls (1973) (blu-ray) -Everything about this movie should be right up my alley, and while I enjoyed it, I didn't love it as much as I hoped I would. It's certainly a bizarre oddity, one that could only be made in the '70s. Apparently we're not supposed to know that Miss Leslie is a man, because it's used as a reveal late in the movie. There's some really fun weird macabre stuff in this, and I love the mannequins that are clearly just women standing really still. Yet at the same time, there's so little going on here that is dragged into 90 minutes. It would make an amazing Tales From The Crypt episode if cut down into 30 minutes though.

October 19th:

HALLOWEEN 18.JPG

Halloween (2018) (theatrical) - The movie we've all been waiting for! I loved it, especially seeing Michael Myers back on the big screen. Is it the best sequel? I don't think so, or at least there are sequels I personally find more entertaining. I really didn't think it did anything that Halloween: H20 didn't do, and that movie has way more Laurie Strode. I also thought it got a little too bogged down in side plots and extraneous stuff when the focus should have been more on Laurie. There's a minor twist that's pretty ridiculous. The stuff with the babysitter is pretty effective. For some reason, the douche boyfriend who throws Allyson's phone into the random ass bowl of pudding gets to live? What kind of a slasher movie is this? It's all in good fun though.

Halloween (2018) (theatrical) - No, this isn't a typo. Yes, I went to see this movie theatrically twice in the same day. The first showing was a relatively empty matinee where the audience was perfect and totally well-behaved. The second time was Friday evening with a group of friends, and every seat in the theater was filled. So this time I got all the audience reactions. The laughs when the dad spills "on his penis", or when the little boy is clipping his "nasty ass toenails". The gasps and ooohs at certain kills or jumps. People giving orders to the characters on screen as though they can hear them. If this was my first time seeing it, I would have found it super annoying. But since it wasn't, I thought it was kind of fun. I'm glad I saw it twice.

I also started watching Amityville: A New Generation (1993) on Amazon Prime, but ended up turning it off about halfway through. I was super tired, and I also forgot that none of these ‘90s Amityville sequels even take place in the Amityville house. At least It’s About Time and Dollhouse take place in suburban family homes, this one takes place inside of a boring ass loft. Not even Robert Rusler, David Naughton, or Terry O’Quinn could save it.

October 20th:

HILL HOUSE.JPG

The Haunting Of Hill House Episodes 9 & 10 "Screaming Meemies" & "Silence Lay Steadily" (NetFlix) - I finally finished the series, and you know what? I think it ended really well. These two episodes managed to tie everything up and give the series complete resolution. Episode 9 reveals what happened in the past on the night they fled Hill House. Episode 10 is focused on the present, and gives everyone and everything their closure. Two great episodes. The real question though: is it worth 8 hours of build-up for 2 hours of pay-off? That's much harder for me to answer.

THE BABYSITTER.JPG

The Babysitter (2017) (NetFlix) - I watched this last October when it premiered and I fucking loved it! One of my favorites of 2017. So why not revisit during this October? I loved it just as much the second time. This movie is so much fun from start to finish. It's funny, it's exciting, it's gory, and it's everything I want in a horror comedy. Samara Weaving is gorgeous and totally perfect as the title character. If there's one title on NetFlix that needs a physical media release, it's this one. I need it as part of my horror collection!

Previous Entries:
    1.) Feral (2017)
    2.) You Might Be The Killer (2018)
    3.) No Escape Room (2018)
    4.) Hell Fest (2018)
    5.) The Witch Files (2018)
    6.) Hold The Dark (2018)
    7.) Creeped Out Episodes 1 & 2 "Marti" & "Slapstick"
    8.) American Horror Story: Apocalypse Episodes 4 & 5 "Could It Be... Satan?" & "Boy Wonder"
    9.) Tales From The Hood 2 (2018)
    10.) The Mummy An' The Armadillo (2004)
    11.) The Walking Dead Season 9 "A New Beginning"
    12.) Creeped Out Episodes 3 & 4 "Kindlesticks" & "Bravery Badge"
    13.) Bram Stoker's Shadowbuilder (1998)
    14.) The Body (2018)
    15.) The Purge Episodes 5 & 6 "Rise Up" & "The Forgotten"
    16.) The Haunting Of Hill House Episodes 1 & 2 "Steven Sees A Ghost" & "Open Casket"
    17.) Slash (2002)
    18.) Light As A Feather Episodes 1 - 3 "Stiff As A Board" & "Pretty As A Picture" & "Dead As A Doornail"
    19.) Creeped Out Episodes 5 & 6 "Cat Food" & "Trolled"
    20.) The Haunting Of Hill House Episodes 3 & 4 "Touch" & "The Twin Thing"
    21.) Knuckleball (2018)
    22.) Light As A Feather Episodes 4 – 7 "Dark As The Night" & "Mad As A Hatter" & "Troubled As The Tide" & "Right As Rain"
    23.) Cucuy: The Boogeyman (2018)
    24.) Creeped Out Episodes 7 & 8 "Shed No Fear" & "The Call"
    25.) Goosebumps 2: Haunted Halloween (2018)
    26.) Bad Times At The El Royale (2018)
    27.) You Episodes 4 - 6 "The Captain" & "Living With The Enemy" & "Amour Fou"
    28.) The Walking Dead Season 9 Episode 2 "The Bridge"
    29.) The Haunting Of Hill House Episodes 5 & 6 "The Bent-Neck Lady" & "Two Storms"
    30.) Malevolence (2003)
    31.) Light As A Feather Episodes 8 - 10 "Cold As Ice" & "Innocent As A Lamb" & "Slippery As An Eel"
    32.) Eli Roth’s History Of Horror Episode 1 "Zombies"
    33.) I Still See You (2018)
    34.) The Roost (2005)
    35.) Malevolence 2: Bereavement Director’s Cut (2010)
    36.) He’s Out There (2018)
    37.) Karma (2018)
    38.) Sleep No More (2018)
    39.) Extremity (2018)
    40.) Malevolence 3: Killer (2018)
    41.) Jack-O (1995)

maskull, Workshed, Rocker10 and 6 others like this.
  2. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

Superstition -

superstition tv poster.jpg

I finished up this short Syfy show. There were some good episodes and some iffy ones. Yet it was still better than the three or so seasons of Supernatural I watched before stopping that show. As Superstition was cancelled and it ends on a cliffhanger I can't really recommend it too much. It probably could have been better with more thought to the scope of the story and a bigger budget. I did like the concept for the hero and his funeral base of operations. Actually I guess it's worth a watch for horror fans.

Ash vs Evil Dead -

ash vs evil dead season 3.jpg

I concluded season 3 of Ash vs Evil Dead as well. Ash continues to have great lines throughout the series. I need to see that Xena TV show as the actress is really good in this show and was in the Spartacus TV show as well. The last two episodes are pretty epic and I wish we got to see more of the three evil creatures as they are bad ass. But I didn't like the final twist that much since it was a series finale and a teaser or cliffhanger of stuff we won't get to see. Still this is a show I'm adding to my Blu-ray list.

Ghosts of Mars -

ghosts of mars.jpg

I posted about this movie somewhere around here. I remember saying how I didn't like it originally but after a few watches I started to get it. Ghosts of Mars is basically Night of the Living Dead on Mars in a futuristic setting. I like it and it's a fun horror movie.

Victor Crowley aka Hatchet 4 -

victor crowley poster.jpg

After Hatchet 3, I thought the series would be over. They seemed to keep getting worse after the original Hatchet. I thought Hatchet 4 had more good humorous parts over horror. The kills were too violent for me and some were at the point of hatred for women. On the level of the kills in that bad Girl House horror movie without the bad character of the girls in that house who some might say deserved it. Some of the girls in Hatchet 4 were annoying but still the death scenes went too far. The original is still the best one to me.

I haven't seen The Golden Child in a while. I did get the La La Land soundtrack for it. So from what I remember I like the movie. It was a fun 80s movie and if you watched it as a kid, there were scary parts. Like the oatmeal and reveal of what they were dealing with. The main girl is hot too. That was back when you couldn't stumble across all kind of stuff on the Internet and a girl in a wet t-shirt was a big deal. I still use that tic tac line myself any chance I can get.

maskull, Workshed, Rocker10 and 3 others like this.
  3. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

No, you're able to turn them of on all 3 movies.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
    maskull, indrid13 and hulkyduck like this.
  4. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I wouldn't trust amazon, on the UK site hey have a load of UK Blu's with warning region A signs! Sometimes there quality control can be a bit of.

5. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Movie #23:
    Legend of the Werewolf (1975)
    First time viewing (VHS)
    *** (out of 5)
    Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge Guideline:
    19. VHS DAY: Watch something on the greatest physical format known to psychotronica. If you don’t have access to a VCR then watch something originally shot on video.

Enjoyed this Hammer-rip I grabbed from a VHS swap a few years back. Interesting setup (using superstition to explain the werewolf ala Curse of the Werewolf, with a bit of Jesus’ story thrown in for good measure!), but it really picks up when Peter Cushing shows up as an inquisitive surgeon.
    [​IMG]
    Movie #24:
    Halloween (1978)
    Rewatch (Scream Factory Blu)
    ***** (out of 5)
    20. VIDEO STORE DAY: The most important day of this challenge. Watch something physically rented or purchased from an actual video store. If you live in a place that is unfortunate enough not to have one of these archival treasures then watch a movie with a video store scene in it at least. #vivaphysicalmedia!

Never a bad time to revisit this movie. Not much new to say about it, but I will say that Video Store Day at Scarecrow Video was a blast. 50% off Criterions and they even had the new Dan Curtis releases from Kino for just $15. Plus beer, a DJ, and games. It’s always worth stopping by each year.

6. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

October 20th
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

48) Idle Hands

49) Ginger Snaps

50) Trick r’ Treat

51) House of 1000 Corpses

7. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

Oct 20th-

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    #SCVpsychochallenge: Day 20. VIDEO STORE DAY. The most important day of this challenge. Watch something physically purchased from an actual video store. If you live in a place that is unfortunate enough not to have one of these archival treasures then watch a movie with a video store in it at least.
    Back in the day of renting VHS tapes from the local video store, I freaking hated SOV horror films. Their cheapness was a real turn off. As my horror movie watchings branched out I came to really love these DIY horror films. The fact that they are SOV gives them a certain charm. A look into the '80's. For this challange, I couldn't think of a better film then Video Violence to celebrate this bygone age. After I put in part 2 for more VHS madness.

8. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

10/19/18

LISA AND THE DEVIL (1974)

[​IMG]

Italian horror has taken over my October marathon this week. That's not a bad thing at all. After two nights of Fulci, it's only proper that Mario Bava gets a second evening as well. Lisa and the Devil is a film I have revisited many times. First time viewings are admirable in October (albeit risky sometimes). Why not stick with some safe bets you already enjoy?

Curiosity lures vacationing Lisa Reiner (Elke Sommer) away from her tour group in Spain. Maybe it had something to do with an ancient fresco painting of Satan that she saw minutes ago as part of her bus excursion? While wandering she meets dummy carrying Leandro (Telly Savalas) in a shop full of eclectic goods. Lisa gets the chills as he bears an uncanny resemblance to the devil in that painting. Predictably she gets lost in this city. Night falls and Lisa comes across a trio of wealthy Spanish travelers kind enough to give her a lift to her hotel. As luck would have it, their vehicle breaks down at a dilapidated mansion in which Leandro works as the butler. The Countess lives here along with her son Maximilian (Alessio Orano), a real freak in every sense wearing a gigantic collar even for 1970's fashions. They get fewer visitors these days. The son is outrageously clingy and instantly obsesses about pretty women leaving him within moments of meeting them. Big mistake sticking around here and that's an understatement.

I don't exactly pencil in Lisa and the Devil every October, but most years it inevitably gets a spin. Ever since upgrading to the Arrow Blu-ray several years ago, it's been a more rewarding experience. Mario Bava operates in mind-bending mode this time. Repeated references to past lives, déjà vu, different names, and ventriloquist dummies that occasionally come alive may be too much for the casual viewer. I keep returning and over the years this has become one of my top favorite Bava films. Elke Sommer gets more to do here than in Baron Blood, just be sure to avoid the re-edited House of Exorcism which makes her possessed. You can make the call as to whether or not Telly Savalas is indeed Lucifer. Regardless, the man steals the show here. Frequently savoring lollipops, more sinister intentions are on display along with a knack for special abilities a regular guy would not be capable of.

If you prefer horror films that over-explain everything, Lisa and the Devil is not for you. If you like a more surreal approach to retro horror, don't be afraid to visit this mansion in October.

9. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Well done, sir. That's a stellar day of horror right there.

hulkyduck, indrid13 and Colin like this.
  10. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

The Night Eats the World (DVD)

Already mentioned earlier in this thread, this is a nearly dialogue-free tale of a young man barricaded in an apartment building during a zombie attack. I was happy it kept my interest, but ultimately, it's an average-at-best zombie film. So many other films have done this better, especially 28 Days Later.

Terrified (Shudder)

I started this, and about 45 minutes in, exhaustion took over and I was fighting to stay awake. Not due to the movie, I was just tired and it was late. So it didn't work for me as well as it did for others in this thread, but that may not be the fault of the movie. Additionally, there's several switches in the narrative as to which character's point of view we're following. I'm guessing that's to be intentionally misleading. I'd like to give this another chance someday, but I'm afraid the effect is best on first time viewing.

Zombi Holocaust aka Dr. Butcher M.D. (DVD)

Despite the name, this is another Italian cannibal flick. Animal lovers will applaud the fact that there's no real animal killing in this movie like so many other films in the genre. But that said, it seems like everyone involved in the production was totally bored. Everyone just phones in their performance.

So, I've decided I'm done with first-time viewings for October. I always hope to find that "hidden gem" of an unseen horror movie this month, and while I've enjoyed a few of the recent first-timers I've see, there was nothing out of the ordinary. With little more than a week left in the month, I'll now be concentrating on classics and favorites.

maskull, Workshed, hulkyduck and 4 others like this.
  11. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 21

74. Night of the Seagulls (1975) Blu-Finished the Blind Dead series with the recent Scream blu of this movie. Looked decent. Movie was decent as well. 3 of the 4 of these movies are all almost redundant, I guess even the Galleon at the core of the story is as well. A lot of movie franchises are this way so not a big deal. Enjoy the nostalgia as well as the atmosphere of these films.

75. The Hearse (1980) Blu-Okay story driven film that feels a lot like a made for TV movie. It does feel a bit slow, but if you wanna chill, this will fit the bill.

76. Sasquatch: The Legend of Bigfoot (1975) DVD-More of a documentary film that doesn't really scare by today's standards. Remembering this craze back in the day helps with the nostalgia of this whole thing. The quality was passable, but had a lot of macro blocking in water scenes. Apparently the Code Red Blu isn't much better. This was part of the Sasquatch Horror Triple Feature DVD set.

77. Tourist Trap (1979) DVD-This is one odd movie. I watched this quite a long time ago and haven't really revisited it until now. I remembered liking it back in the day. To me as of this viewing it was okay. Apparently their is a Blu available thru Full Moon, but I've seen reviews that I remember correctly mentioned missing scenes or something. So I'll stick with what I have if that's accurate.

78.Scream And Scream Again (1970) Amazon Prime-Another odd film. Three legends in this one including Vincent Price, Christopher Lee, and Peter Cushing. The movie is different. A bit light on the horror overall, but had the ability to keep you interested until the end. It was a first time watch and a bit different than I expected.

~Rocker10

maskull, CPT HOOK, hots4 and 5 others like this.
  12. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

10/20/18

DISMEMBER THE ALAMO HORROR MOVIE MARATHON (in theater)

[​IMG]

Participating Alamo Drafthouse theaters do a nearly all-day horror film fest in October. Attended my first one on Saturday the 13th. Went to our other local Drafthouse for their event since both theaters were showing a different movie lineup. Here is the potential risk: none of the movies are announced in advance. In fact the host only gives small clues. You figure it out when the movie starts rolling. It was the same host as the previous week: a local guy who hosts retro screenings at different theaters. Last Saturday I went solo. This time, my wife and I went together. Can't beat the company, could the previous week's 4 films be topped? I hoped so. Only enjoyed two of the four. They wound up all being in the "horror comedy" vein.

The only clues at the beginning were that today we would be watching films from the infamous "Video Nasty" list. After suffering through Slave of the Cannibal God at the beginning of this month, I was ever hopeful to not get any Italian cannibal pictures.

DEEP RED (1975)

[​IMG]

A well known psychic in Rome conducts a lecture in a pretty crowded theater and demonstrates her fine tuned skills. Her intuition senses that there is a killer in the audience, which she doesn't keep to herself. Jazz musician Marc Daly (David Hemmings) while walking home later that night witnesses her murder, as they both live in the same apartment building. The police grill him and a reporter named Gianna (Daria Nicolodi) puts Marc's story and identity out there for everyone to see. Marc puts himself at further risk playing amateur detective along with his new lady friend reporter. Together they delve much deeper than anyone (including the police) ever could have imagined.

Just one film in to this day & night marathon, I was already impressed. Deep Red beats any of the films from last week's Dismember event. A good portion of the audience seemed on the edge of their seats at the right times. The music by Goblin was nice and loud in this 4K restoration. As many times as I've seen this at home, watching in a crowded theater was the best experience yet. Have to say the scenes with Marc investigating the haunted house are my favorite.

Deep Red is not my top Argento film, but it's most certainly near the very top. Confidence restored. Now I was optimistic that this Dismember event would step it up.

THE BEYOND (1981)

[​IMG]

Deep in the humidity of Louisiana lies The Seven Doors Hotel, a location that hides a dark past. Following an inheritance, Liza (Catriona MacColl) decides to renovate the old property. Very bad things happen to contractors working onsite. These would be happenings of the paranormal variety. One day Liza meets the mysterious blind woman named Emily (Cinzia Monreale) who clues her in to the hotel's evil origins. Nearly 60 years earlier a lynch mob executed a suspected warlock at the property. Awful things continue to happen with nightmarish visions, the ancient book of Eibon, and a steady supply of bloody messes to clean up. At least she has a new friend in Dr. John McCabe (David Warbeck) to try and keep her grounded.

If you're counting, this is the third Fulci film I have watched this week. In my opinion, The Beyond is the best combination of gore and supernatural horror Fulci ever made. What it lacks at times in logic is made up significantly in dark escapism. The crowd was amused by David Warbeck's marksmanship abilities when faced with zombies. Shooting them in the head isn't something he remembers often enough. The greatest moment of this show based on audience reaction?
    Warbeck not hesitating to swiftly take out the evil eyed redheaded girl
    On the flip side, general consensus was that the ridiculous spider attack scene topped the gross-out meter.

Two films in and feeling very pleased. This couldn't be any more different in tone than last week's Drafthouse marathon. That festival fell apart with the third film. What to expect now?

SOCIETY (1989)

[​IMG]

28 year old teenager Bill Whitney (Billy Warlock playing age 17) is living the good life on the surface with all of the boxes checked in Beverly Hills. Inside however he is a nervous wreck who never feels like he fits in with the upper class snobs, even within his own family. Sessions with his therapist don't exactly help. Dr. Cleveland (Ben Slack) fills him with more negativity and prescription drugs. Bill begins seeing some really bizarre things on people suggesting their bodies aren't right. If that's not enough, some taped evidence of his own family partaking in some even stranger behavior makes things worse. What's really going on or is Bill overmedicated?

As soon as the screen displayed "A Brian Yuzna" film, I knew it was going to be a huge letdown from the first two films shown today. I've seen very few films from the director and only enjoyed one (Return of the Living Dead 3). My distaste for this movie was immediate. Brightly lit, drowning in bad fashion sense, and in your face conformity - everything got old very quickly. Of the four films in this festival, Society was the most recent production made in 1989. It very much felt the most dated of all today. Not one even remotely likeable character for me. Just one obnoxious rich asshole after another pretty much sums it up. I'm sure that was the point of the story. It just didn't work for me. Obviously the last 20 to 30 minutes of the film pushes this into "video nasty" territory. Some compliments for the special effects crew are deserved. It was just far too over the top and ridiculous for our tastes (my wife and I).

For body horror stories, the films of David Cronenberg are much more my cup of tea. This was such a misfire of a movie to add after Argento and Fulci. Now I was worried what would come next? The host billed the final film of the day as a 4K restoration that has only been screened twice in theaters so far (both were in Texas). He called this the "West Coast" premiere. Let's call it Southwest...

ZOMBIE (1979)

[​IMG]

An abandoned sailboat drifts into the New York Harbor. Patrol officers investigate only to find a zombie who is still ravenous despite being very well fed. Turns out the boat belongs to a renown scientist last heard from on the island of Matul. His daughter Anne (Tisa Farrow) learns of this and teams up with journalist Pete West (Ian McCulloch). Despite knowing each other very little, they embark for the Caribbean island and pretty quickly learn that it's not a popular destination. What will they find when they get there?

This was our second time watching Fulci's Zombie on the big screen, having also done so last decade. If you haven't had the opportunity, it plays well with a crowd. Between the pure horror elements, character reactions, unintended humor, and outbursts of gore - the audience didn't have time to ever get bored. Zombie versus shark never looked this great before. The famous eye scene really affected a person sitting next to us. He may be a long way from The Haunting (1963), but I always enjoyed Richard Johnson a lot in this film. Sure, he frequently looks soused on the island - but definitely brings some credibility to all the crazy shit going down.

I had no way of knowing most of today would be Italian horror. That makes it 7 Italian horror films for me this week. 4 from Fulci, 2 Bava, and 1 Argento. That may be my limit as October is winding down. Truth be told, there may be another Argento movie in my month long marathon.

We talked to the host briefly afterwards and complimented him on all of the Italian horror selections. He said that he wanted to make it an all day Italian fest, but that the Alamo Drafthouse shot it down. That explains Society. 3 great films however made this well worth the money and time spent. Would probably attend this again.

maskull, CPT HOOK, Rocker10 and 9 others like this.
  13. hulkyduck

hulkyduck Well-Known Member

A hectic work schedule has limited my viewing in the past week.

30. Caltiki The Immortal Monster (1959) First time watch.
    Arrow Blu Ray. An archeoliogical expidition in Mayan Terrority , Mexico awakens a centurys old being who eats living flesh. This felt like an italian version of a Quatermass storymixed in with the Blob, with both elememts of horror and sci-fi. Very effective cinematography from Mario Bava elevated this above a lot of similar type films from this era and only he could make a beach towel covered in soap suds scary.

7.5/10

31. The Crazies ( 1973)
    Arrow blu ray. Only watched this for the first time in full in last years marathon and really enjoyed it and i was keen to revisit this. This is my favorite Romero film outside of the Dead series and shows what a talent he had for making low budget films and yet still make it compelling and watchable. Like Dawn Of The Dead it shows how quickly we lose our morality when faced with times of crisis and this time watching i felt a little bit of The Thing in there with the themes of paranoia and mistrust and not knowing who had been affected.

8/10

32. The Whip And The Body (1963) First time Watch.
    Blu Ray. This has been a good month for me for first time watches and have caught up with a lot of my gaps in the italian horror genre. Although this is not as well regarded as other Mario Bava's works i felt that this was up there. Gothic horror setting with Christopher Lee's character Kurt returning home to claim his inheritance and his woman who is now with his little brother.It is established by the film that Kurts ex Nevenka gets her jollies by having pain inflicted on her, Kurt then gets killed by an unknown assailant and then strange things happen to Nenenka with Kurts ghost returning to inflict more pain on her and then take revenge on his family.

The ending is left ambiguous as to whether it was a real haunting or a case of madness. As usual with Mario Bava's work the cinematography was exceptional and i can imagine this causing a stir in the early sixties with its depiction of sexual violence.

I Like Christopher Lee best when he is playing the villian and although his screen time was limited in the second half of the film he was really good in this role.

8.5/10

33. Daughters of Darkness (1971)
    Blu Ray . this was a first time rewatch for me and remember it leaving quite an impression on me the first time i watched it.
    A young married couple from different backgrounds stay at a deserted hotel in Belgium , due to the husband being scared to take his new wife home to meet his wealthy family. The young couple get caught up with 2 lesbian vampires who are hiding from the police due to a spate of murders in the country. The very beautiful Delphine Seyring plays the Countess Bathory which was based on the hungarian story of a real life Countess who bathed in virgins blood to stay young. This is a very well shot eerie film with the location being used to great effect.

The character of Elizabeth Battory has been used in a spate of Hammer films in the 70s and despite loving those i feel this is a step above them.

The film takes a while to get going and for a vampire film there is not a lot of blood but the minute the countess appears i could not keep my eyes of the screen.

9/10

34. Spasmo (1974) First time watch.
    88 films blu ray. Having watched Umberto Lenzi's Eyeball for the first time at the begining of the month i was surprised that this film is very different take on the Giallo genre, while Eyeball was very straightfoward till the ending this was very surreal and strange from the straight from the first scene.

A man called Christian and his girlfriend see what they think is a dead body lying on a beach, the girl was just sleeping , the man is immediately attracted to this woman played by Suzy Kendall and tracks her down to a nearby boat, he immeditely dumps his girlfriend and leaves with this mysterious woman, back at her hotel somebody climbs in the window with a gun for some unknown reason and Christain accidently kills this man , the two of them go on the run and end up in a nightmare situation not knowing what is happening to them. The plot is convoluted to say the least and in the latter part of the film when all is explained it flips on its head another three times but still kinda made it all make sense.

The plot goes all over the place and the film's dialogue is very funny but this was a lot of film and cant wait to return to this in the future.

7.5/10

35. Apostle (2018) First time watch.
    Netflix . A man called Thomas goes to an isolated island to find his sister who has been abducted by a strange religious cult who need money to survive due to failing crops on the island. The leader of the cult Malcolm played by the always excellent Michael Sheen finds out somebody is on the island to free the prisoner and sets out to find them, to say any more would spoil it for people who have still to check this out.

The first half of the film feels like a Wicker man type of film then flips to add a supernatural element using flashbacks to fill in the characters backstorys and how the situation with the crops on the island came to be , the conclusion is open ended and leaves a lot to ponder.

Overall this was a really good film except it could have been doing with a good 20 minutes cut out of the runtime and fightscenes that felt out of place in this type of film.
    7/10

36. Two Evil Eyes (1990) First time watch
    88 films Blu Ray. Been meaning to get round to this for a good few years and when i found out that 88 films were releasing a blu ray this month i held off till its release last week.

Reimaginings of 2 Edgar Allan Poe story's The Facts in the Case of Mr. Valdemar and The Black Cat . Both of these are set in modern times (at least when the film was made) and try to put a twist on these well known storys.
    I liked Argentos section more than Romero's due to the his section feeling like a by the numbers film that did not feel like a Romero movie but Argento's take on the Black Cat felt different enough from the source material to feel fresh and also had an excellent performance from Harvey Keitel.

Far from either directors best work and this was not as good as i thought it would have been, saying that i really enjoyed the second segment.

The Facts in the Case of Mr. Valdemar 5/10
    The Black Cat 7.5/10
    Overall 7/10

37. The Blair Witch Project (1999)
    Nothing i can say that has not already been said. A halloween staple for me and this was the film that made me love the Found Footage genre before it run out of steam
    Still as Creepy and effective after all these years.

9/10

maskull, Rocker10, hots4 and 7 others like this.
  14. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Decent weekend for me with the Sox - World Series not starting till Tuesday....

Halloween 2018

Loved it. Gonna catch it at least one more time on the big screen

Halloween 3

Always have fun with this. It's on the slow side but October fun nevertheless

Happy Death Day

I like this one. Pretty fun little slasher. Looking forward to the sequel

Halloweentown

Life is all about compromises right? It's a favorite of my wife and we watched it while doing jack o lanterns.

Abominable

First time viewing for me. Pretty cool big foot movie, man. I went in with low expectations and had fun. Looking forward to revisiting.

Terrifier

Another first time viewing. Was contemplating waiting for Halloween day for this one. I fucking loved it. Straight forward slasher. No fucking around. Absolute gore fest, too. Bring on more Art the Clown!!!!!

15. fattyjoe37

This is my favorite classic Bigfoot film. The Code Red Blu-ray has a lot of print damage, but I found the quality much better than on that dvd set. No compression issues I could notice and the nighttime scenes were much more clear. The best part of the release is that it comes with a 6 minute intro to the film that hadn’t been seen since theaters. It’s basically a quick intro to the idea of Bigfoot with some re-enactments that aren’t shown in the film. Plus it’s always been cheap, unlike many Code Red discs. Don’t think I’ve seen it many places for over $20.

maskull, Rocker10, indrid13 and 2 others like this.
  16. fattyjoe37

[​IMG]
    Movie #25:
    Mother of Tears (2007)
    First time viewing (VUDU VOD)
    **1/2 (out of 5)
    21. OPIATE OF THE MASSES: The power of Scarecrow compels you to watch a religious film!

Witches are a religion, right? Wanted to finally finish the Three Mothers Trilogy this month and this was as close as I could get this one to a guideline.

maskull, Rocker10, hulkyduck and 5 others like this.
  17. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

October 21st
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

52) Night of the Living Dead (1968)

53) Dawn of the Dead (1978)

54) Day of the Dead (1985)

18. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Oct. 20th

A Dark Song (2016)

[​IMG]

Love the premise of this film: A woman wants to contact her dead son so she agrees to sequester herself in a house with a stranger who claims, though extreme fasting and sensory deprivation, that he can help her achieve this wish. How do she know he isn't scamming her, especially when the creepy sex stuff starts? How does she know this isn't all just a hoax? Well, the film never bothers with any of this and lets just about every cool idea fall by the wayside. And then the worst offense of all: the ending tries to teach the audience a morality lesson. No thank you.

Oct. 21st

Double Feature

Cat People (1942)

[​IMG]

An outstanding example of timeless horror. This rewatch, I realized that Irena's paranoia is totally justified. Everyone IS talking about her. Go ahead and rage, Irena! Tear 'em all to shreds.

The Babadook (2014)

[​IMG]

Great use of sound in this film, and there are interesting parallels between it and Hereditary (2018). This time around, I didn't find much of it to be scary, however. Not a lot of spook in The Babadook.

19. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Weekend catch-up time!

19th - October Madness No.28 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 19 - VHS DAY: Watch something on the greatest format known to psychotronica. If you don't have access to a VCR then watch something originally shot on video.
    [​IMG]

The Deadly Intruder (1984) - Rating: 2.5/5
    Here's an early '80s home invasion/slasher flick still only available on the analog format. Recently acquired this on one VHS from a closed down video store this summer, so decided SCV's VHS Day was the day to give it a whirl. An escaped mental patient is on the lam with local law enforcement looking out for him. Meanwhile single Jessie (Molly Cheek) invites some friends over for a dinner party where she becomes romantically involved with John's (Danny Bonaduce) new business partner Bob (Chris Holder). After the dinner party and everyone gone, a drifter comes along and breaks into Jessie's home and kidnaps her. After not returning his calls, Bob becomes paranoid Jessie's seeing someone else and goes to investigate. With a pretty on-the-nose title, The Deadly Intruder does pack a few unexpected (or expected) twists and surprises but most of the fun doesn't come to a head until the third act and up until then is a very generic and bland by-the-numbers slasher/home invasion flick cashing in on the '80s horror wave.

19th - October Madness No.29
    [​IMG]
    Return of the Living Dead III (1993) Rewatch - Rating: 3.5/5
    Return of the Living Dead III was a much-rented VHS back in the day for me because as a hormonal teenager who didn't have a huge crush on Mindy Clarke after watching this one - both before and after her transformation! The third outing in the classic ROTLD trilogy (no one's counting the existence of parts 4 and 5, are they?) is Brian Yuzna at the top of his game which features his signature gross out and sometimes goofy gore, black comedy sensibilities, shoddy and on-the-nose plotting, and good cheap fun. A slight departure from the cannon of Part 1 and 2, Part III is still a party! Mindy Clarke is also surprisingly good, and conveys some real emotional chops under all she's got going on in this one.

20th - October Madness No.30 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 20 - VIDEO STORE DAY: The most important day of this challenge. Watch something physically rented or purchased from an actual video rental store. If you live in a place that is unfortunate enough not to have one of these archival treasures then watch a movie with a video store in it at least. #vivaphysicalmedia!
    [​IMG]

Shin Godzilla (2016) - Rating: 3/5
    We've got one lone video store left in my city, and it happens to be just a small DIY alternative/activist book store that has a small rental selection - mostly new to newer releases and alternative documentaries. They do happen to carry my Videonomicon releases, but I ain't gonna rent my own stuff so the closest thing to horror/psychontonic rental options left was Shin Godzilla which I had still not checked out. I knew going in this wasn't your typical Godzilla flick, but I surprisingly enjoyed the dialogue-heavy and dramatic bureaucratic and political maneuvering plots and set-pieces. It added some weight and reality the the situation of a Godzilla surfacing, and not just buildings toppling over because of a giant monster's rampage (which there definitely is some of that too). I gotta say Godzilla's googly eyes throughout though had me laughing and most of the CGI was just mediocre and the final wrap up a bit hokey and sentimental, but I definitely dug this more than the recent American outing. Oh, and that last shot of the movie was truly and genuinely beautifully horrifying!

20th - October Madness No.31
    [​IMG]
    Halloween (2018) - Rating: 3.5/5
    How fitting and coincidental that the 31st movie of October Madness was the new Halloween. David Gordon Green, Danny McBride, and Jeff Fradley's 40 year later follow-up is a surprisingly effective and worthy entry in the franchise, which I gotta admit while I enjoy the original and Part 3 a lot, II is OK, but the rest of the sequels (Parts 4 through 8) are pretty crap to complete garbage and I don't hold the franchise up as a lot of you do. Hell, I'm even one of the few who enjoy Zombie's pretty good remake and not-so-good sequel a whole lot more than those true cannon entries. Sure, there's some plot points and character reveals here in Halloween 2018 I had a few eye-rolls at, but for a Halloween movie 40 years later this one delivered the goods, kept me entertained and engaged, and brought back some of the menace the Shape had in the original film that I felt was surely lacking in all the other sequels.

20th - October Madness No.32
    [​IMG]
    The Dead Come Home (aka The House on Tombstone Hill) (aka Dead Dudes in the House) (1988) - Rating: 3.5/5
    A group of college pals take a weekend away and arrive at a spooky old house where they get trapped inside by a malevolent force and have to deal with the undead old lady who wants to kill them one by one and turn them into the living dead. I had a blast with this low budget Troma pick-up that features some absolutely grisly and great kills and effects from Ed French (Blood Rage) and is chock full of over-the-top performances.

21st - October Madness No.33 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 21 - OPIATE OF THE MASSES: The power of Scarecrow compels you to watch a religious film!
    [​IMG]

Years of the Beast (1981) - Rating: 2/5
    College professor Stephen Miles (Gary Bayer) finds himself faced with the end times! As earthquakes, natural disasters, and not-so-natural disasters strike the world, society crumbles as money is worthless, greed takes over, and your neighbours become your enemy! Stephen and his family must then team up with other new-found Christians to survive and face off against the blasphemous devil-worshippers and preach the good word of the Bible in order to save their souls and fellow brethren and hopefully convert the blasphemers along the way! Years of the Beast is your atypical Christian propaganda/religious scare film that uses the age-old story telling device of the Hollywood movie to pander it's pro-Christian messages, but still manages to entertain with its still family-friendly exploitation elements of action, thrills, and cheap special effects.

21st - October Madness No.34
    [​IMG]
    Vampyres (1974) Rewatch - Rating: 3/5
    Jose Ramon Larraz's Vampyres is a steamy tale about lesbian vampires who lure men off the road into their countryside mansion to seduce them and drain their blood. But when one of them decides to play with her food a bit more than usual, friction invades. Meanwhile, a couple camping out nearby try to pinpoint the strange goings-on and find out the truth behind the women. Vampyres is moody, beautifully shot, and oh so erotic. A worthy entry in the velvet vampire genre, though can be a big bogged down by a somewhat repetitious plot involving the failed escape attempts of the one "food source" which plays out the majority of the fairly simple plot. Still, you could look at a lot worse!

Angelman, maskull, CPT HOOK and 9 others like this.
  20. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Both of these are re-watches.

Monster Squad (1987) Amazon Streaming

My boy and I watched this... and what a perfect movie. Part 80s teen comedy, part love letter to Universal Monsters. All fun. The casting is great, especially Duncan Regehr as Drac but also Lisa Fuller, Leonard Cimino, Jon Gries, Jason Hervey. The smallest roles are spot on casting. The little moment with "scary german guy" where we see he was in the camps in WWII does so much towards letting us know who he is and who he will be for the kids. Just an exceptionally well-concieved, well-made, well-directed film.

Leatherface: Texas Chainsaw Massacre III (1990) Warner Archive Blu
    Yeah... I don't know. I don't love Part II but Part III is where it really disconnected for me. New characters, bad Leatherface mask, etc. It all felt very forced and directionless. Even the 3 years too late thrash metal soundtrack just feels like a misfire. Did anyone watch the original film? The Novelty of Viggo in it wear off quick, and the female lead isn't given enough to do so we never feel her fear. It's fine for a watch, but just not engaging. I've seen it before but it was like watching fresh because it's just not that memorable. Side note: I didn't see the oval shape window left open form brightening during color correct (or whatever that was) that Don May pointed out. Maybe my TV needs better calibration or something - but it didn't detract from the presentation for me.