The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread -- 2020!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 21, 2020.

1. NaturesMistake

NaturesMistake Active Member

October 6th

Scream (Laserdisc):

The Laserdisc of Scream is the unrated director's cut, and unlike the first Friday the 13th where I had mentioned I prefer the R-rated cut, a lot was removed for Scream's R-rating. I didn't know Scream was censored until much later however, because the VHS tape was also the NC-17 version of the film, which was released by mistake! It wasn't until HBO runs and the DVD release did I realize Scream was butchered by the MPAA.

The film is still a great slasher that balances horror and comedy in a way that doesn't detract from the horror, which had also been done successfully a decade before in An American Werewolf in London. I usually bust out my LD of this film once every couple of years.

I don't think, however, the sequels fair as well. It never got better from here, and I typically ignore them.
    667EDC72-D98B-4EFD-9F43-1CBF58C7A762.jpeg
    BC8924A6-C169-4FC8-9839-06C2460404E3.jpeg
    7F122954-41C7-4E0F-BFA1-AAEF54809A8F.jpeg
    9D533EA8-902F-41E6-AEB5-246876555C1F.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
  2. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Yeah, when selecting films for the Challenge (even though I'm not officially participating), I'm torn between selecting a movie that best fits the description, and one I actually like. For this day I selected Seven, because it's hard to argue that a delivery is not the most pivotal scene in the movie! I also could have gone with Jacob's Ladder, as Tim Robbins is a postal worker in that one.

(another difficult choice in the challenge is later, the one with a live band. I could have picked Alone in the Dark, a great movie with a shitty band, instead I selected Rush Week, a shitty movie with a GREAT band: The Dickies)

Never watched it? Oh, you're in for a treat. It's basically the 4th Evil Dead film, only it goes for several hours and not 90 minutes. How can you go wrong? You can't.[/QUOTE]

Rocker10, Colin and indrid13 like this.
  3. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Do you really think the R rated cut was butchered? I really don't remember their being that much difference, I thought it was a few frames, nothing too obtrusive.

NaturesMistake and indrid13 like this.
  4. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

Just watched Rush Week not too long ago. Music was the best part. Alone in The Dark is a great choice! I was thinking Phantom of the Paradise or Rocktober Blood for my pick.

5. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Tonight viewing:

Death of me

A vacationing couple must discover the mystery behind a strange video that shows one of them killing the other.

Can't say I was a fan of this. It's a bit of a mess to be honest. The story is all over the place with plot holes galore, apart from the lush setting and nice scenery there really wasn't anything gratifying about this.

What's happened to the director? I enjoyed his saw contributions but anything since has been poor to say the least, at least this was not as bad as abattoir, although not far off.

Colin, Gore Lunatic, Rocker10 and 4 others like this.
  6. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

OCTOBER 5TH:

HOSTS.png

25.) Hosts (2020) (VOD) - This is a new British horror movie that takes elements of the possession genre and injects them into a home invasion horror, setting it all over a Christmas dinner. It concerns two parents and their three children, settling in for a nice Christmas dinner and inviting the young neighbor couple to join them. The neighbor couple shows up, but there's something off about them... as in the introduction of the movie, we saw them being possessed by strange glowing lights floating around outside their home. This neighbor couple are basically the Hitchcock "bomb under the table", as you're just waiting for them to explode into violence on this poor family. What follows is a fairly violent and intense home invasion thriller, and while the supernatural possession elements remain prevalent throughout, they don't really go anywhere. I wouldn't consider this a must-see, but it's quite effective for what it is, and certainly isn't a bad watch by any means. Perhaps save it for Christmas-time, even though Christmas aesthetics are pretty bare throughout.

PHANTOM OF DEATH.png

26.) Phantom Of Death (1988) (YouTube) - I've been enjoying my old VHS revisits of late, but wanted to see a movie of the time I had never seen before. So alas, I resorted to YouTube for Ruggero Deodato's Phantom Of Death. I've loved all of his films that I've seen, and this is his take on the giallo genre... with less than stellar results. As with every giallo ever, there's a killer on the loose in Italy. It's difficult to say much more about the movie without getting into spoilers, because the killer's identity is revealed within the first 30 minutes, and from there it doesn't really have anywhere left to go. There are a couple of bloody murder set pieces, but they are pretty sparse (maybe 4 of them?) and they're nothing too above and beyond for the genre. Michael York is excellent, and Donald Pleasance and Edwige Fenech are always fun. Brief cameo from Giovanni Lombardo Radice. Outside of that, I found this one to be pretty dull. It's a shame, because I was excited about finally seeing this one when I pressed Play. Bummer.

OCTOBER 6TH:

WALKING DEAD.png

27.) The Walking Dead Season 10 Episode 16 "A Certain Doom" (DVR / AMC) - I get so burned out on this show when they're airing it weekly, it was kind of nice to have just a solitary episode. It probably helped that it was intended as a season finale, which are typically the most action packed episodes anyway. This was quite action packed, just set-piece after set-piece, and they even packed a little emotion in there too. The scene with Carol on the cliffside gave me the feels, and I haven't really felt anything for The Walking Dead in quite some time. Also, a character who left the series to pursue mainstream stardom then had their major ABC series quickly cancelled came crawling back to the fold. It's nice knowing there is finally an ending in sight for The Walking Dead, and I think that might help me enjoy the upcoming final season(s) more than I've enjoyed the show in a while.

28.) The Walking Dead: World Beyond Episode 1 "Brave" (DVR / AMC) - This is a new limited series spin-off of The Walking Dead, with two seasons of 10 episodes each (20 episodes total) before concluding. This time, it's geared towards a young-adult audience, presumably to lure them over to The Walking Dead as well, as I imagine their viewers who have been with the show since the beginning are a slightly older demographic. This was fine, but also kind of bland. This first episode is set on a college campus that has been turned into a functioning community, where the residents live relatively normal lives in comparison to those in the regular Walking Dead series. Julia Ormond plays a corporate type who arrives on campus, clearly up to no good. The main plot concerns two sisters, and most of the episode is spent setting up their characters before they set out on the road to find their father. Even though this campus and the character development here is very safe and vanilla, the ending does set up for what could be a pretty interesting series. I guess we'll see in the weeks to come...

Previous Entries:
    1.) Cabin By The Lake (2000)
    2.) Pet Sematary (1989)
    3.) Mercy Black (2019)
    4.) Nancy Drew Episodes 1 & 2 "Pilot" & "The Secret Of The Old Morgue"
    5.) Scare Me (2020)
    6.) Return To Cabin By The Lake (2001)
    7.) Monsterland Episodes 1 & 2 "Port Fourchon, Louisiana" & "Eugene, Oregon"
    8.) 12 Hour Shift (2020)
    9.) Nancy Drew Episodes 3 & 4 "The Curse Of The Dark Storm" & "The Haunted Ring"
    10.) Halloween Party (2019)
    11.) Let's Scare Julie (2020)
    12.) The Night Brings Charlie (1990)
    13.) Death Of Me (2020)
    14.) Vampires Vs. The Bronx (2020)
    15.) Nancy Drew Episodes 5 & 6 "The Case Of The Wayward Spirit" & "The Mystery Of Blackwood Lodge"
    16.) Do Not Reply (2019)
    17.) Halloween Pussy Trap Kill! Kill! (2017)
    18.) The Clown At Midnight (1998)
    19.) Monsterland Episodes 3 & 4 "New Orleans, Louisiana" & "New York, New York"
    20.) Nancy Drew Episodes 7 & 8 "The Tale Of The Fallen Sea Queen" & "The Path Of Shadows"
    21.) Lovecraft Country Episode 1 "Sundown"
    22.) The Dead Ones (2019)
    23.) Possession: Until Death Do You Part (1987)
    24.) Monsterland Episodes 5 & 6 "Plainfield, Illinois" & "Palacios, Texas"

7. NaturesMistake

It's not My Bloody Valentine levels of butchery, but the cuts do negatively effect some of the scenes. The worst offenders are Tatum's head crushing, the murder of the boyfriend in the beginning, and Billy and Stu's game of stabby stabby at the end of the movie. The other cuts aren't as annoying. It's just enough to be off-putting when you're used to another version of the film, and the added seconds give the film some more bite.

Edit (found this):

There was more of the head crushing in the R-rated version than I remembered. Basically the beginning and the ending suffered the most.

ImmortalSlasher and indrid13 like this.
  8. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

You can also go with From Dusk Till Dawn, unless you already used it for the "dance sequence" requirement. Because Salma Hayek.

9. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 6

24. Savage Weekend (1976) Prime - I should have held off on this one until I had a decent blu-ray or something better than the stream Amazon had. Looked like utter shit. Gonna do a re-watch soon with a better source. Seemed okay outside of the quality issues.

25. Abbott And Costello Meet The Invisible Man (1951) Blu - Another enjoyable entry that's a classic.

26. Voodoo Island (1957) DVD - My yearly watch. Odd film but it is one I liked as a kid so there is a nostalgic factor as well.

27. Darkness Falls (2003) DVD - I had not seen this movie since the DVD was released. Thought it was interesting how fast in the movie the monster is shown. Pretty decent movie.

Out of curiosity, has anyone watched All The Colors Of Giallo? The Giallo genre is a favorite and this looks like an interesting package. Would like some opinions on if it's worth picking up.

~Rocker10

10. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Got through about 15 minutes of the documentary, and saw it would be nothing but talking heads the entire way.

Went straight to the trailer disc, and loved it.

11. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I remember seeing that video. The head crush edit is the most stupid thing and shows what a bunch of cock wombles they are. I watched it 2 or 3 times and I couldn't see any difference at all I later read the scene was about 1 or 2 frames different, 1 or 2!!! What's the fucking point, a total waste of time.

12. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

Absolutely, taking out several frames just ruined it. Fortunately the completely unedited head crush scene is available for anyone who missed it...

[​IMG]

13. Gore Lunatic

Gore Lunatic Violenza Carnale

The Boy (2016) BD
    Brahms: The Boy II BD

I might be in the minority here, but I really enjoyed The Boy. Saw it in theatres and liked it enough to add to my collection. The film has a gothic look, good atmosphere and of course that creepy doll. This type of story has been done before (Bad Ronald, Black Christmas) but I still found it to be entertaining. Plus it's nice to see Lauren Cohan doing something else besides killing zombies all the time. She cleans up really nice :D. In the sequel, the story sheds some light on the history of the doll and the whole mythos surrounding it. Brahms: The Boy II mostly consists of scenes with Katie Holmes looking scared and the doll looking creepy with a few jump scares. Kinda boring but worth a watch if you enjoyed the first one.

Rocker10, Natas, hots4 and 7 others like this.
  14. NaturesMistake

That. Is gruesome.:D

Gore Lunatic and indrid13 like this.
  15. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

October 6th
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

14) True Fiction: A struggling writer gets the opportunity of a lifetime when offered to participate in a grueling psychological experiment with her favorite horror novelist, but everything is not as it seems. “True Fiction” felt like an R-rated version of a Lifetime channel drama/thriller. The production value is cheap, the tension nonexistent, and the acting was passable. The script had interesting ideas in terms of how trauma relates to art and the dangers of idolizing your heroes, but does a poor job taking those concepts and translating them into something worthwhile. The story is all over the place, incorporating elements of psychological thriller, cheap satire and exploitation cinema. There are one too many plot twists that deviate from the original thesis, and by the time the film ended I was left scratching my head trying to figure out what even the point of this was. A sloppy mess that I wouldn’t recommend. (3/10)

15) Rabbit: Still grieving a year after the abduction of her twin sister, a traumatized young woman returns home with a hunch that her sister is still alive. A painfully slow excuse of a psychological horror film that tries and fails to be the “Wicker Man”. The story starts out as a half interesting crime noir, with supernatural elements, only to dissolve into your run-of-the-mill evil cult film. The characters are very one note, apart from lead actress Adelaide Clemens who does a great job with the material, and the evil cultist are too cartoonish when placed into what is supposed to be a tense thriller. I did really enjoy the film’s score, which added to the lackluster atmosphere, but I was constantly aggravated with an overabundance of snap cut editing, which often reared its ugly head at the most unnecessary moments. A wasteful attempt. (4/10)

16. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge Guideline:
    Day 6. POLL PLOT: One that involves elections and/or voting. *government not required

Movie # 8:
    Blue Sunshine (1977)

"There's a bald maniac in there, and he's going bat shit!"

It's been a few years since last watching Blue Sunshine. Forgot it goes from zero to fucking crazy fairly quickly with the use of a fireplace as a murder weapon. I dig the absolute '70's-ness of the film. Zalman King's reindeer sweater is a thing of wonder. More movies need to climax with a disco rampage. Those brats really did have it coming.

[​IMG]

Movie # 9:
    Vengeance of the Dead (2001)

This one has been in my collection for years. Glad I finally watched it. Way better then I'd expected. Decent little ghost flick about a haunted spoon! Yes, a haunted spoon. Also lots of arson. There's a nice creepy fall atmosphere and the climax takes place on Halloween night.

[​IMG]

Movie # 10:
    Kaw (2007)

A Ravendemic? Decent enough direct to video animal attacks movie. How Doris, the bitchy basketball player survived, I have no idea.

17. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

11. The Other (Robert Mulligan, 1972)

[​IMG]

According to Grady Hendrix in his fantastic book Paperbacks from Hell, Thomas Tryon's The Other was one of three novels (along with Rosemary's Baby and The Exorcist) responsible for opening the floodgates on the paperback horror fiction boom of the 70's and 80's. I had read the other two, and became resolved that eventually I would also read The Other. After finally doing so this past week, I can understand why this one, unlike the other two, has drifted into obscurity. Essentially, it's a gimmick novel. I won't spoil what that gimmick is, but once it's revealed (and it's pretty obvious, even from the beginning) there isn't much of a story.

The same is true of the movie. Interestingly, it's another faithful literary adaptation directed by Robert Mulligan. But while To Kill a Mockingbird is a fantastic book that made for a fantastic movie, Tryon's decent but insubstantial novel yields...a decent, yet ultimately insubstantial movie.

The story behind the book and film is interesting, though - how Tryon took a script that no one would buy and fashioned it into a blockbuster novel, only to then adapt that novel back into a movie. In doing so, he made a few changes to the structure, primarily condensing the climactic events of the book from a few weeks into a single night, and removing the framing device in favor of a darker sting of an ending. Both changes work well in the movie's favor, making this a case of the film arguably being a more satisfying experience than the book. Although I don't think I would be too eager to recommend either.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
  18. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

October 6th: The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue

[​IMG]

Another classic zombie movie, less pulpy and more serious in tone than House by the Cemetery. The zombies are a page out of Night of the Living Dead - they're cannibalistic, they're able to replenish their numbers, and they move as though they're in a trance. The first appearance of the zombie vagrant is particularly unnerving as he stiffly walks into view and slowly turns to face the heroine. Like House by the Cemetery, The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue has a strong protagonist duo. Oddly enough, there is no romantic undercurrent between Ray Lovelock and Cristina Galbó here - like, AT ALL. In fact, he's respectful of her as a woman ("I'm not going to jump you"), but rude to her as a person, treating her as a terrible inconvenience. Galbó was a beautiful woman, and smartly dressed pretty boy Lovelock shows NO sexual interest in her. But back to the zombies and the gore. These zombies are some of the best of the period IMO - better than those in Romero's Dawn of the Dead, but then, Manchester has fewer of them, so maybe more care went into each individual zombie rather than merely smearing on a layer of blue face paint on a bunch of extras. There's also viscera (being eaten, no less!), nasty autopsy scars, AND a ripped off boob - which was probably what grabbed the attention of the censors in the UK during the Video Nasties craze.

The Synapse disc looks great, but I experienced playback issues twice. Once in the scene where Galbó, Lovelock, and the policeman seeks refuge in the caretaker's cabin, and once when Lovelock is racing towards the hospital in a stolen police car. At these points, the disc freezes and suddenly skips ahead. Bummer.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
  19. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

10/6/2020

THE FUNHOUSE (1981)

[​IMG]

While taking a shower, teenager Amy (Elizabeth Berridge) gets attacked by her little brother Joey (Shawn Carson) in mask disguise with a rubber knife. The little pervert follows it up immediately with another macabre practical joke. Earning his sister's wrath, we will learn the extent to which sibling grudges can be held. Amy is going out on a double date with Buzz (Cooper Huckabee) and another couple. Dad warns her to stay away from the carnival in town. Last year in Florida, the same outfit may have been responsible for two dead attendees. Guess where they end up going?

Said carnival does not disappoint. Along with the traditional rides there is much to absorb: a freakshow, irreverent magic act, tent full of strippers, fortune teller, and a dark ride haunted house with an attendant dressed as Frankenstein's Monster that looks like the real deal. After smoking enough pot together, the collective decision is made to spend the night in the haunted house. Going to be a really long exhausting night...

I've lost count at this point how many times I have watched this film from director Tobe Hooper? Meant to watch this as a double feature the previous night with Carnival of Blood (1970), but didn't have enough time. The Funhouse is great fun any time of year, but just seems extra special for me at least to watch in October. Many interesting carnies to become acquainted with. William Finley (Hooper's Eaten Alive, many Brian De Palma films) has a memorable cameo as a magician. Sylvia Miles is effective as fortune teller Madame Zena until she starts undressing. Kevin Conway really delivers bang for the buck playing 3 different carny barkers for the price of one! As the barker for the dark ride, Conway excels as a sweaty boozehound whose criminal record would probably be extensive.

Always loved the scenes inside the haunted house. A variety of bright colors and lighting help create the right atmosphere to sell the story. Despite being a fan in general of Rick Baker, his makeup design for the creature is too over the top for my tastes. I actually prefer the Frankenstein mask. It just looks so creepy up close. Classic horror fans can also appreciate all of the posters in the opening along with Joey's collection of props.

Another cool bit of trivia? The Funhouse opened in theaters on March 13, 1981. Yes, on Friday the 13th.

TOURIST TRAP (1979)

[​IMG]

Five friends on a road trip are stuck in high desert country after running into some car trouble. Two couples and one extra girl named Molly (Jocelyn Jones), who is the nerd of the bunch. While the men are off tending to vehicle repair, the ladies find a scenic swimming hole and go skinny dipping. Owner of the property Mr. Slausen (Chuck Connors) introduces himself with a shotgun and quickly takes a shine to Molly. The girls go with the old mountain man back to his dusty roadside attraction, Slausen's Lost Oasis. Frontier relics, historical life sized figures, and all kinds of kitschy curiosities are here to observe. Over some beers they learn what a lonely guy he is. Lost his wife to cancer, brother left for a big city job making waxworks for a museum. Like the Bates Motel in Psycho (1960), this small business has really struggled since the new highway was built sending motorists elsewhere. As expected, getting back on the road and resuming their trip will become complicated.

I first discovered Tourist Trap back in the early 90's at VHS rental stores. It's been years since last watching this, but a title I happily come back to. Road trips are a great way to enter into backwoods slasher territory. Tourist Trap however is unique though, venturing off into supernatural material and exploring telekinetic powers. There's more mannequins than you can count here. 70's cinema was so different in that many PG rated features were especially intense at times with their subject matter. Jaws (1975) of course is the best example. Tourist Trap is modest in comparison, but the intensity is there in some scenes - especially when we see how these odd figurines are made down in the basement.

After playing professional baseball and basketball, Chuck Connors became famous for Westerns. He's rather great as a horror villain and could have pulled off more genre "boogeyman" roles. Tanya Roberts looks hot as Becky. Just a year later she would co-star on Charlie's Angels and soon after The Beastmaster (1982). Major credit should be given to Robert A. Burns for his art direction. Slausen's Lost Oasis wouldn't have the same credibility or character without his fine work. Burns excelled at creating some menacing western backwoods locations in films like Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974), The Hills Have Eyes (1977), and The Howling (1981).

I watched my old DVD since Charles Band continues to hold Tourist Trap hostage with garbage edited releases. I realize there was a decent quality German mediabook package four years ago. Never bought it and it's long out of print. This film deserves a much better presentation.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
  20. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

This is one of those cases where a still image is far more terrifying than seeing it in action; the creature from The Funhouse graced the cover of Fangoria, and I have to admit it scared the shit out of me (keep in mind, I was only around 13....it's not like this was last week I'm talking about). So much so that when I finally got a VCR and started catching up on all the horror movies I'd only read about, The Funhouse was not on the list.

Obviously, I did finally see the film, and unlike that Fangoria cover, it totally looks like a rubber mask when you see it in the film. But yeah, props to Rick Baker for designing something so scary, even if it didn't work as well in the movie.

Edit: Here's the issue
    [​IMG]