The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread...SUCKAS!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 27, 2010.

1. hulkyduck

hulkyduck Well-Known Member

october 5th

10.RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD PART 2 (1988)
    Not a patch on the original's fun , charm and gore.This is like a lite version of the classic original. Still worth a watch just dont expect the same quality of the first film. 3/5

11.RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD PART 3(1993)
    Liked this better than the second installment . plenty of zombie action and a crazy twist on romeo and juliet 4/5

12.THE SATANIC RITES OF DRACULA (1973)
    Hammers worst vampire film and by this point they seem to have run out of ideas for the count. Christopher Lee looks like he is bored with this as well.
    Hokey script full of holes but any chance to see Lee and Cushing on screen together is always welcome.

2. addicted2dvd

addicted2dvd New Member

[​IMG]
    Supernatural: The Complete Fourth Season
    RESURRECTION. AFTER ENDURING UNSPEAKABLE TORTURE, DEAN ESCAPES FROM HELL, rescued by an all-powerful creature he's never seen before: an Angel. This warrior of God who recruits Sam and Dean in Heaven's battle against Hell, amid whispers that a certain Fallen Angel will soon be freed from his prison deep in Hell: Lucifer. If Sam and Dean can't stop it – if Lucifer walks free – he'll bring on the Apocalypse. Meanwhile, the Winchester brothers reunite and hit the road, battling the supernatural wherever they go. They encounter demons, spirits, Dracula himself and even a drunk, heavily armed 7-foot-tall teddy bear. All the while, the ultimate war draws them into its horror throughout this enthralling 6-Disc, 22-Episode Season Four. Caught between Heaven and Hell, between God and the Devil, the Winchester brothers must battle for the future of humankind.

METAMORPHOSIS
    Dark powers. Dean fears Sam is using his paranormal gifts in conflict with God’s plan. And an ordinary guy in an ordinary town gets a major case of the munchies. It starts with steak - and moves to human flesh.

My Thoughts:
    Another good... interesting episode. I really liked the storyline on this one. The effects on this one is pretty good too. Lots of blood... especially in one of the later scenes.

My Rating: 4/5

Count:
    Movie Count: 16
    TV Ep. Count: 10
    Other Count: 0
    Time Started: 6:30pm

3. bigwes15

bigwes15 Active Member

Not my best lineup...I might have to start to proven commodities soon here!
    6. Amityville: A New Generation
    -You might think that with Richard Roundtree, David Naughton, Terry O'Quinn, nudity, some gore, and the proven exploitation name of Amityville that you'd be in for some cheesy fun, right? You'd be wrong. This one somehow manages to be very dull.....3/10.
    7. Venom
    _I hadn't seen this one in a couple years, and I had a hankering for some more swamp mayhem after seeing Hatchet 2 last weekend. I knew it couldn't reach those heights, but this one was a solid little slasher/voodoo outing. Some questionable CGI with the snakes, but overall a cool looking villain, some good kills, and effective Louisiana swamp atmosphere........7/10, maybe an 8 if you're generous.
    8. Halloween Night
    -Back to the septic tank with this one. Obviously I knew it would be derivative being an Asylum release, but most of those are at least fun. This one just drags slower than an elephant being towed behind a Prius. There is fairly plentiful nudity and gore, but it comes nowhere close to saving this atrocity. For shame, Michael Ginggold...all those yers of writing for Fango didn't prepare you better than this??.........2/10.
    9. Ghost Hunters Season 3, Part 1, Disc 3
    -Since this is over two hours of viewing between the three episodes ("Hellfire Caves", "Nightmare Noises", and "Toys of Terror") on the dvd, I am counting it toward my tally, dammit! I am a sucker for this show. There is occasionally a chilling discovery made, but more often than not there is not much evidence. However, that seems to make it more realistic for me and I am always entertained each and every time. My favorite of the bunch, Brian, is s till around at this point in the series, but I have a feeling just from the small pieces I've seen of more recent shows that he gets dumped again by the gang. Anyway, great stuff if you're into this sort of thing.........9/10.
    Only 41 more to go to make my goal of 50 for the month!

4. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Oct 5: Prom Night (1980)

5. addicted2dvd

addicted2dvd New Member

[​IMG]
    Supernatural: The Complete Fourth Season
    RESURRECTION. AFTER ENDURING UNSPEAKABLE TORTURE, DEAN ESCAPES FROM HELL, rescued by an all-powerful creature he's never seen before: an Angel. This warrior of God who recruits Sam and Dean in Heaven's battle against Hell, amid whispers that a certain Fallen Angel will soon be freed from his prison deep in Hell: Lucifer. If Sam and Dean can't stop it – if Lucifer walks free – he'll bring on the Apocalypse. Meanwhile, the Winchester brothers reunite and hit the road, battling the supernatural wherever they go. They encounter demons, spirits, Dracula himself and even a drunk, heavily armed 7-foot-tall teddy bear. All the while, the ultimate war draws them into its horror throughout this enthralling 6-Disc, 22-Episode Season Four. Caught between Heaven and Hell, between God and the Devil, the Winchester brothers must battle for the future of humankind.

MONSTER MOVIE
    In a black-and-white world reminiscent of classic horror flicks, the brothers tangle with a vampire, a werewolf and a mummy who are thinning the crowds at a quaint Oktoberfest.

My Thoughts:
    This is an episode I was waiting to see again... as I remembered really enjoying when it originally aired. I loved how they even made the opening credits look like the old time black and white monster movies. I just found this to be such a fun and entertaining way to do an episode. Even though some of it is rather silly... it is one of my favorite episodes of the entire series.

My Rating: 4.5/5

Count:
    Movie Count: 16
    TV Ep. Count: 11
    Time Started: 7:45pm

6. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

10/1:
    Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue
    Halloween '78
    Someone's Knocking at the Door

10/2:
    High Tension
    Poultrygeist
    New York Ripper

10/3:
    Shaun of the Dead
    Survival of the Dead

7. cameron_lodge

cameron_lodge New Member

10/1
    Inside (À l'intérieur)
    The Blob (1988)
    Breeders

10/2
    Videodrome
    The Video Dead
    TerrorVision

10/3
    Slither

10/4
    The Devil's Backbone

8. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

October 05:

[​IMG]

9. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

October 5th

[​IMG]

10. VincentPrice

VincentPrice New Member

21. Murders in the Rue Morgue-1971: ***
    Uh, it was alright. Jason Robards was miscast and it seriously felt like they were just trying to do a Phantom of the Opera knockoff.

22. Nature's Grave-2008: **1/2
    I'll give it this, I liked it a lot more than The Lost Weekend.

23. Slither-2006: *****
    One of my favorite movies of all time, never gets old.

24. Cut-2000: ***1/2
    Better than I remember it being, funnier, too. Molly Ringwald is pretty good at playing the bitchy actress role.

25. I Spit on Your Grave-1978: **1/2
    Just don't care much for it

26. Laid to Rest-2009: ****
    A solid Gore flick

11. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

No movies tonight though I did run some old episodes of the rare Lon Chaney Jr. horror anthology series #13 DEMON STREET.Not too bad,though the picture quality was only so so.

12. DopeChamberX

DopeChamberX Guest

October 5th
    [​IMG]

Awful, awful movie.:fuck: What a completely frustrating viewing experience.

13. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Tuesday Night Triple Feature

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Evil Laugh (1988)

Med-students fixing up an old orphanage must face a masked killer. Cheesy Slasher ripping off Friday the 13th which comes to no surprise as the director played Joey in A New Beginning. Talk about influence!
    October/Halloween score: 3.5/5 for including isolated house, cleaning & dancing sequence, fangoria magazine, golden shower, dumb blondes, dumb jocks, microwave kill, machete kill, axe kill, blood spill, ghost story at fireplace.

Twice Dead (1988)

Family moves into haunted mansion and are harassed by local Lost Boys punks. Surprisingly decent revenge-thriller that reminded me of The New Kids with a touch of the supernatural.
    October/Halloween score: 4.5/5 for including Jill Whitlow, fighting at basketball court, car chase in hearse, coffin-toss, electrocution during sex, fat biker run over by own bike, ghost in mirror activity, forced suicide, memorabilia in the attic.

Primal Rage (1988)

Escaped lab-ape infects people with deadly virus turning them into zombified madmen. Fun bloodletting and above average soundtrack makes this Rambaldi family offering a keeper!
    October/Halloween score: 4/5 for including Sarah Buxton, night club dance scene, halloween party massacre, Mad Scientist theme, Experiments gone awry theme, Bo Svenson with ponytail, Bo Svenson kicked in the balls, car door rip, decapitation with axe.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  14. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Oct 1st: Race With the Devil (1975)
    Oct 2nd: Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part 2 (1986)
    Oct 4th: Night of the Creeps (1986)
    Oct 5th: Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)

15. Silent Noize

Silent Noize New Member

October 1st

01. Horror of Dracula (1958)

October 2nd

02. Captain Kronos - Vampire Hunter (1974)

October 3rd

03. Bay of Blood (1971)

October 4th

04. Friday the 13th (1980)

October 5th

05. Friday the 13th Part 2 (1981)

October 6th

06. Friday the 13th Part III (1982)

16. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

October 6th:

Breeders (1986)
    The Deadly Spawn (1983)
    The Blob (1988)
    From Beyond (1986)
    The Fly (1986)
    The Fly II (1989)

17. addicted2dvd

addicted2dvd New Member

[​IMG]
    Title: Monster High
    Year: 1989
    Director: Rüdiger Poe
    Rating: R
    Length: 84 Min.
    Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
    Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
    Subtitles: English, Japanese

Stars:
    Dean Iandoli
    Diana Frank
    David Marriott
    Robert M. Lind
    Sean Haines
    D. J. Kerzner

Plot:
    Every school has its share of space cadets, but this semester, MONtgomery STERling HIGH is about to get theirs, complete with real live ray-guns, in this spaced-out sci-fi comedy. When all-American average guy Norm Median meets fatally-attractive Candace Caine the first day of fall term, they're both too distracted to notice the weird new "transfer" students, even if they include a fashion-conscious zombie, a killer plant and a stone gargoyle. Hey, some kids are like that. But when their leader - famous inter-galactic terrorist Mr. Armageddon - drops in with global destruction on his mind, Norm has to think fast. The end seems near until Norm suggests challenging Mr. A's "team" to a basketball game for the fate of the earth. The stakes are high, if the planet is destroyed, it would seriously wreck Norman's chances with Candace but no one said being a senior was easy in the cosmically-campy campus comedy, MONSTER HIGH.

Extras:
    Scene Access
    Bonus Trailers
    Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
    I found this Comedy Horror at Big Lots for only $3.00... thankfully I didn't pay more then that. I went in not expecting much of anything... but this is truly one extremely silly and cheesy movie. Sure there may have been a chuckle or two here and there... and the fact that it had some bare boobs for no apparent reason what so even didn't bother me either... but over-all it is pretty bad. It is not something I could recommend to anyone.

My Rating: 2/5

Count:
    Movie Count: 17
    TV Ep. Count: 11
    Time Started: 12:30pm

18. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

October 6th
    [​IMG][​IMG]

12) Shock Waves: The perfect example of original idea; poor execution. The Nazi zombies were definitely menacing, but the over all film was a so-so experience. (6/10)

13) Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things: A rather odd film to say the least. Had a really creepy Halloween atmosphere to it, which I loved. But we don't get any zombie action at all until the final act of the movie, which was a let down. (6/10)

19. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Oct. 5th - Ghoul School, Pin

20. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

SPAWNINGBLUE'S 2010 OCTOBER HORROR MOVIE WATCHING

Bold = first time viewing. Rating out of 10.

October
    The Monster Squad (1987) 9/10
    Night of the Creeps (1986) 7.5/10
    Are You Afraid of the Dark S:1 - The Tale of the Twisted Claw (1992) 7/10
    The Office S:2 - Halloween (2005) 7/10
    The Dark (1979) 6.5/10
    C.H.U.D. (1984) 8/10
    REC (2007) 8.5/10
    Pieces (1982) 7.5/10
    The Being (1983) 6/10
    Burial Ground: The Nights of Terror (1980) 7/10
    One Dark Night (1983) 7/10

The Monster Squad - Every time I watch this movie I worry that I only like it because of the nostalgia and every time I realize that is not the reason, but that it is actually a really damn good movie! The Directing and writing is all really well done, the kids hold their own with the witty dialog, and the monster effects and costumes still hold up perfectly. Actually most of the monster designs are some of the best ever done for said monster. There is so much in this movie that would not be allowed in a kids movie these days, or any Director would have the balls to put in that I don't feel ashamed watching it now that I have grown up. For anyone that hasn't seen it, think of The Goonies versus the Universal monsters. If that sounds like your bag, then you will love this one!

Night of the Creeps - I thought I would do a Dekker double feature so I finished the night off with Night of the Creeps. Although I don't think this is as good as Monster Squad, it is still a really fun way to waste an hour and a half. Again the script allows the actors to shine with their dialog, even if the main teen is a bit of a bore, and Tom Atkins is awesome as always continuously using one of the most quotable lines in horror history, "Thrill Me". The only problem I have with the film is that it is all over the place, it's an alien film one second, then a slasher, then an animal run amok, then a zombie film, ect. It's not confusing or anything, but some scenes like the opening/ slasher scenes aren't really there for any reason other then to pay homage to a horror sub-genre. It's a fun throwback to horror films of yesteryear though and the special effects are once again top notch. Definitely worth a watch!

Are You Afraid of the Dark S:1 - The Tale of the Twisted Claw - I picked up a few seasons of this show for a decent price and have slowly been going through the episodes. I saved this episode for October since I remember it being a favourite, and more importantly, it takes place on Halloween. It does a good job evoking the Halloween feel and surprisingly is kind of creepy in some parts (The witches cackle for one!), especially for a child's show. So far this show is definitely for the youngsters but I have still found myself having fun with it, probably more so then some of the episodes from Tales from the Darkside Season 1 which I just recently finished. Maybe it's the nostalgia factoring in? I do feel these shows have great mood and atmosphere to them though. As for the story, it is the standard story where the kids receive a claw that grants them three wishes, and of course the wishes don't turn out as planned. Great fun for Halloween none the less.

The Office S:2 - Halloween - My girlfriend was over and loves The Office so we threw in their Halloween episode from Season 2. Although Halloween is really just an after thought in this episode about Michael having to fire an employee, it was still fun to see all the costumes and The Office at least in earlier Seasons was always pretty funny.

The Dark - I wanted to do a creatures loose in a city triple feature, so I started with one that I had never seen but heard good things about, The Dark. This movie was well done but at the same time felt like a complete cheesefest. The killer looks like Frankenstein's monster but also shoots lasers out of his eyes that yes, make that 70s sci fi "choom choom" sound. This all makes sense after I watched the interview with the Director where he explains it was originally supposed to just be a deformed human before it was changed to an alien. Overall I had fun with this one, and it was worth watching if not just for the main star alone, who is one the smoothest and most bad ass characters in horror cinema.

C.H.U.D. - I decided to watch C.H.U.D. for the second movie in my creature triple feature. The first time I watched this I was disappointed as I was expecting a gore soaked cheesefest, which this is definitely not. After talking to a co-worker who mentioned this was one of his favourites, I decided to give it another go, this time going in knowing what to expect. It does take itself more serious then you would expect from a movie whose poster is a deformed creature popping out of the sewer, but knowing that this time, it didn't bother me. The seriousness and slower pace worked for me this time. It is a well made, well Directed movie with great performances from its cast, including yes even Daniel Stern, and the creatures have a great design to them. I definitely recommend this movie this time; just don't expect a slasher movie pace.

REC - I loved this movie the first time I watched it and this time it was no different. I watched it with a couple friends who are not horror fans in the slightest and they too really enjoyed it, with one friend even jumping off his seat a few times. The scares still work even if you know when to expect them and the tension and thrills are non stop. The gore is also very well done, and wow, that thing at the end still gives me the creeps. Skip the English remake Quarantine, which is almost shot for shot but not done as well and watch the original. It also stomps all over Romero's zombie cam flick with an iron mallet.

Pieces – Thought I would do a cheesefest double feature starting off with the classic Pieces. This movie is just bat shit crazy about a boy who murders his Mother after she tries to throw out his smut magazines and puzzle. He returns year’s later killing young women and taking their body parts to sew together a reproduction of his Mother. The movie doesn’t make much sense and throws at you countless scenes to prove that, including one with a random karate instructor who attacks a woman and blames it on bad sushi before disappearing to be never seen again. Its’ random moments like this and its inane script and bad acting that make it worth watching. A few beers also help.

The Being – This was meant to be the third feature in the creature triple feature but unfortunately I fell asleep and didn’t finish it until a few days later. This movie delivered exactly what I was expecting, a cool looking creature killing people with low budget gore, so with that I was not disappointed. The main character and his terrible acting were worth a laugh, as was his pointless narration that disappeared a third way through the film!? And am I the only one who thought the mayor’s wife used to be a man?

Burial Ground: The Nights of Terror – Another movie that was a leftover from a previous night, this was started to be a double feature with Pieces since they are both so awesomely bad, but needless to say the sleep bug hit me and I didn’t make it fully through. I know it’s hard to believe that I could fall asleep during this cinema masterpiece since it is just so damn entertaining but alas I did. Anyways, this movie is bad, but like Troll 2 bad, meaning a must watch. The movie pretty much opens up with three couples having sex, and then after a break, they have sex again. It also stars a creepy man-boy played by Peter Bark who happens to lust after his Mom, and yes they do go there with them making out and him grabbing her boob. Oh, and there happens to be some zombies as well, which although wearing cheaply made masks actually look pretty damn cool. And I also thought it was cool that they attacked with farm tools. If this at all sounds like your thing, then don’t hesitate and give this one a watch. It is insane how ridiculous it is!

One Dark Night – I really enjoyed this movie about a girl who stays the night in a mausoleum so she can be accepted into a sorority. This reminded me a lot of Hell Night, although not quite on the same level. The ending with the zombies and the crazy psychic old man was a lot of fun as was every scene with Adam West. Yes, he is in this and is as terrible as you would expect. I couldn’t help but laugh every time he spoke, especially when he was trying to evoke emotion.