The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread...SUCKAS!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 27, 2010.

1. MadmanMarz

MadmanMarz Member

October 8th:poltergeist
    October 9th: The Shortcut
    October 10th: Halloween 3
    October 11th: And Soon the Darkness (2010)
    October 12th: Slumber Party Massacre 2

2. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

SAXCATZ:
    KEY: Blu-Ray; HD-DVD; DVD; Laserdisc; Netflix Instant; VHS
    10/01/2010: Tombs of the Blind Dead
    10/02/2010: Deep Red
    10/03/2010: Inferno
    10/04/2010: The Omen (1976)
    10/05/2010: Beauty and the Beast
    10/06/2010: Hostel; Sleepy Hollow
    10/07/2010: The Exorcist- Director's Cut; Sole Survivor (1983)
    10/08/2010: Poltergeist; The Abominable Dr. Phibes; Burnt Offerings; Hatchet; House by the Cemetery
    10/09/2010: The Beyond; Dead Silence; Alien;The Mist;Young Frankenstein
    10/10/2010: Aliens; Dead Birds; Clawed: The Legend of Sasquatch; The Frighteners; The Amityville Horror (1979)
    10/11/2010: Two Evil Eyes (HD); Orphan
    10/12/2010: Dark Night of the Scarecrow
    10/13/2010: Frozen
    Total: 28
    Other Notables:
    Just Couldn't Finish It(Boring): The Church; Zombiethon
    Does This Even Count?(Films of questionable genre): Beauty and the Beast; Young Frankenstein
    My eyes! The goggles do nothing!(Bad PQ): Burnt Offerings; Dead Birds(its VHS afterall)

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  3. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Oct 1st: Race With the Devil (1975)
    Oct 2nd: Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part 2 (1986)
    Oct 4th: Night of the Creeps (1986)
    Oct 5th: Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
    Oct 6th: Return of the Living Dead (1985)
    Oct 8th: Revenge of Frankenstein (1958), Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed (1969)
    Oct 9th: Humanoids From the Deep (1980)
    Oct 10th: Shock Waves (1977)
    Oct 11th: The Haunted Palace (1963)
    Oct 12th: Creepshow (1982)
    Oct 13th: Dark Night of the Scarecrow (1981)

4. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

Carrie (1976)

Screw the "bad" Blu-ray quality reviews of Carrie, this transfer looks fine to me. Hell, it looked even better than the Bram Stoker's Dracula blu.
    October/Halloween score: 5/5 for including telekinetic ash tray flip, wobbling mirror with Hitchcock Psycho shower music, soft diffusion lenses scenes, split screen showdown.

The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane (1976)

Rynn is 13, new in town and lying about her fathers whereabouts. Townsfolk are curious but a crippled magician becomes her partner in crime and lover. Drama in Stage Play format with enough dark secrets to keep you guessing. Jodie Foster delivers great performance.
    October/Halloween score: 4.5/5 for including Halloween birthday party, pedo-alert, hamster torture, poisoned tea switch, chipped tooth, magic tricks, muddy footprints, autumn setting, early snow, nosy cop.

5. addicted2dvd

addicted2dvd New Member

[​IMG]
    Title: Stephen King's Silver Bullet: Widescreen Collection
    Year: 1985
    Director: Daniel Attias
    Rating: R
    Length: 95 Min.
    Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
    Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Mono, French: Dolby Digital: Mono
    Subtitles: English

Stars:
    Gary Busey
    Everett McGill
    Corey Haim
    Megan Follows
    Robin Groves
    Leon Russom

Plot:
    Something is killing off townsfolk in Tarker's Mills. Something mysterious. Something ingenious. Something remotely human. But the only person in town with the courage to stop this lurking menace is a 13-year-old boy, confined to a wheelchair since birth. Adapted to the screen by suspense master Stephen King from his "Cycle of the Werewolf" novelette, this exhilarating thriller features astounding special effects by three-time Oscar® winner Carlo Rambaldi ("E.T.," "Alien," "King Kong").

Extras:
    Scene Access
    Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
    I have loved it since I first saw it when I was just a teen. I absolutely love the supped up wheel chair... The Silver Bullet! I really enjoyed the scene when he first got it... finding out just how fast it went. I believe Stephen King's take on the werewolf legend is just right on the spot. And I liked who the werewolf turned out to be. While it is not what I would call a gory movie... there is a scene or two that shows it's fair share of blood. There was nothing about this movie that was not just plain enjoyable. It is definitely one of my favorite werewolf movies. Unfortunately this is just a bare bones DVD... no extras what so ever. I would have liked to at the very least seen the Theatrical Trailer on the disc. I imagine there will be many people that does not agree with the below rating... but what can I say... I just love this movie. And it is my rating... so there! [​IMG]

My Rating: 4.5/5

Count:
    Movie Count: 52
    TV Ep. Count: 19
    Other Count: 3

6. Silent Noize

Silent Noize New Member

October 1st

01. Horror of Dracula (1958)

October 2nd

02. Captain Kronos - Vampire Hunter (1974)

October 3rd

03. Bay of Blood (1971)

October 4th

04. Friday the 13th (1980)

October 5th

05. Friday the 13th Part 2 (1981)

October 6th

06. Friday the 13th Part III (1982)

October 7th

07. Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984)

October 8th

08. Hatchet (2006) Blu

October 9th

09. The Hills Have Eyes (1977)

October 10th

10. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)

October 11th

11. The Crazies (1973)

October 12th

12. Nightmare City (1980)

October 13th

13. Planet Terror (2007)

October 14th

14. The Beyond (1981)

7. hulkyduck

hulkyduck Well-Known Member

october 13th

23.THE EVIL DEAD (1981)work
    The first ever film i seen on betamax video after my dad brought one home one friday after work, he went down our local arcade which doubled as a video store and came back with this film and the big boss, after watching this as a nine year old i immediately fell in love with this little indy film which is now arguably the most famous horror flick of all time. Many years and countless viewings later i still love this film as much as the first time i viewed this
    5/5

24.SUSPIRIA (1978)
    Dario Argenta's masterpiece is in my opinion the most styish, artistic and atmospheric horror film ever made. The story of a ballet dancer attending a dance school in germany run by a coven of witches is second to the fantastic set pieces, Goblins fantastic score and tense scary atmosphere created here. 5\5

8. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Oct. 13th: Dario Argento's Opera / My Soul to Take 3-D

9. addicted2dvd

addicted2dvd New Member

[​IMG]
    Title: An American Haunting: Unrated Edition
    Year: 2005
    Director: Courtney Solomon
    Rating: Unrated
    Length: 91 Min.
    Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.40:1
    Audio: English: Dolby Digital EX: 5.1 (Matrixed 6.1), English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
    Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
    Donald Sutherland
    Sissy Spacek
    James D'Arcy
    Rachel Hurd-Wood
    Matthew Marsh
    Thom Fell

Plot:
    Based on the true story of The Bell Witch of Tennessee, An American Haunting is the story of a spirit who brutally attacked the Bell family causing the death of one of its members. Years later, we are taken back to the most horrific of nights to find out the truth of the spirit's nature and origin...the night it was born.

Extras:
    Scene Access
    Audio Commentary
    Feature Trailers
    Bonus Trailers
    Deleted Scenes
    Featurettes
    Interviews
    Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
    This is one that I enjoyed... I enjoyed it more then I thought I would really as I don't normally like the period pieces. As usual... Donald Sutherland did an outstanding job. As did everyone else... but I have been more and more impressed as I watch more of Donald Sutherland's work. I am becoming a fan of his. There is a nice selection of extras on this disc... but I didn't check them out this time around... decided to save them for the next viewing. Unfortunately there was no Theatrical Trailer on this disc. (a pet peeve of mine) as I like to get in the mood of a movie by watching the trailer first.

My Rating: 4/5

Count:
    Movie Count: 53

10. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

October 14th
    [​IMG][​IMG]

28) He Knows You're Alone: I honestly don't feel this film deserves the poor reputation that it's received over the years, but it's still very mediocre. With the exception of the opening sequence, which was later ripped off later in Scream 2, the movies kind of forgettable. (6/10)

29) Sweet Sixteen: An interesting who done it kind of film that, for the most part, held my attention. My biggest problem was the ending, I had to re watch the ending three times before I fully understood what the hell was going on. Not to mention it didn't make that much sense. (6/10)

11. Damage

Damage Mirror Mirror

[​IMG]
    The Mist (2007)
    Frank Darabont directs Stephen King's novella from his Skeleton Crew collection. This time around, I watched the film in Darabont's preferred black & white version and I have to agree it's superior to the theatrically released colour version. It really has that late-60s Night of the Living Dead vibe that the director was aiming for. Very creepy. I still think I prefer the book's ending over the director's but it's all good.

[​IMG]
    The Revenge of Frankenstein (1958)
    Terence Fisher and Peter Cushing return for revenge in the second Frankenstein offering from Hammer Films. Awesome!

[​IMG]
    Grindhouse (2007)
    Finally fans can enjoy the original Grindhouse experience as presented by QT&RR on the newly released Blu-ray. They even included the Hobo with a Shotgun trailer on the bonus disc, which in Canada was part of the show.

Damage's Halloween Horrors 2010 so far
    Repo! The Genetic Opera (2008)
    The Relic (1997)
    The Curse of Frankenstein (1957)
    The Mist (2007)
    The Revenge of Frankenstein (1958)
    Grindhouse (2007)

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  12. addicted2dvd

addicted2dvd New Member

[​IMG]
    Title: Buffy the Vampire Slayer
    Year: 1992
    Director: Fran Rubel Kuzui
    Rating: PG-13
    Length: 85 Min.
    Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
    Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 4.0, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
    Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
    Candy Clark
    Kristy Swanson
    Donald Sutherland
    Paul Reubens
    Rutger Hauer
    Luke Perry

Plot:
    Blonde, bouncy Buffy (KRISTY SWANSON) is your typical high school cheerleader – her goal is to "marry Christian Slater and die" and nothing gets in her way when it's time to shop. But all that changes when a strange man (DONALD SUTHERLAND) informs her she's been chosen by fate to kill vampires. With the help of a romantic rebel (LUKE PERRY), Buffy is soon spending school nights protecting L.A. from Lothos, the Vampire King (RUTGER HAUER), his sidekick, Lefty (PAUL REUBENS), and their determined gang of bloodsuckers. It's everything you'd expect from a teen queen in the Valley.

Extras:
    Scene Access
    Feature Trailers
    Bonus Trailers
    Featurettes
    Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
    Well... it just felt like it was time to watch a comedy. I enjoy a good comedy horror now and then. I know a lot of people that prefer the TV Series to this movie... and I agree... I do enjoy the series more... but I do still enjoy the movie as well. As much as I enjoy this one... I have no idea why. It isn't particularly that funny... but all the same I still really get a kick out of it.... and keep finding myself coming back to it! I think if you go into this one expecting what it is... a silly, cheesy movie... then I think you will enjoy it.

My Rating: 3.5/5

Count:
    Movie Count: 54

13. joltaddict

joltaddict New Member

Peewees death scene makes that movie. :lol:

14. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

10/13
    17) The Exorcist--Maybe I'm insane. But this has always been a film that I can appreciate more than enjoy. Great performances abound. And Friedkin makes the most of the film's quieter moments. But there are no real scares--just a lot of cheap shocks that seem campy 36 years down the line. It's not frightening to me. Just unpleasant. And I find Karras's storyline much more interesting than Regan's. Surely a more satisfying movie could have been made about his spiritual crisis. On a positive note, the new Blu-ray disc sports a spectacular transfer.

18) Exorcist III--I suspect I'm in a very small minority here. But I find this belated sequel much more intriguing and frightening than the original. It's not BETTER than The Exorcist. And it's a very uneven film (partially due to severe studio interference). But unsettling imagery abounds, the core story is very compelling, and there are numerous memorably freaky scenes. Blatty truly creates a suffocating and menacing atmosphere (until a lot of studio-imposed silliness harpoons the climax). He also serves up the single greatest jump scare that I've ever seen. Throw in enjoyably over-the-top performances by Scott and Dourif and strong support from Flanders and Miller and there's plenty to admire here. I really hope we'll see Blatty's original cut at some point.

19) The Mad Doctor of Market Street--Pretty dire aside from a few good moments for Lionel Atwill (love those POV shots from the victim's perspective). Amazingly contrived plot jumps from San Francisco to an ocean liner to a remote desert island inhabited by stock 40s "savages." And again, too much extremely unfunny comic relief.

15. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

October 12th-

[​IMG]

October 13th-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. hulkyduck

hulkyduck Well-Known Member

october 14th

[COLOR="Red"s][B]25.DAWN OF THE DEAD (1978)[/B][/COLOR]
    Bigger , badder and gorier than romero's first zombie masterpiece. a black comedy at heart which satires the breakdown in society due to greed and racism ,IMO is the best in the series [COLOR="Red"]5\5[/COLOR]

26. POLTERGEIST (1982)
    Great horror film with a lot of heart. A believable, likeable family put into a horrible situation regarding spooks in their house which abduct their daughter.
    An original take on the haunted house genre with a top notch cast which all give great performances.4.5\5

27.THE HILLS HAVE EYES (1977)
    Based on the story of the Sawney Bean family. Which is reputed to have happened not far away from where i live. Raw , brutal and uncompromising and could be argued as wes craven's best film. 4.5\5

28.THE EXORCIST (1973)
    Quite simply the greatest film of all time. 6\5

17. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

[​IMG]

Terror Inside - Cheaply done, bad acting, but still holds entertainment value. Familiar storyline that has some original tendancies and decent execution. Good to see Corey Feldman for sure, however his acting definitely has not hit any new heights here.

18. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

SAXCATZ:
    KEY: Blu-Ray; HD-DVD; DVD; Laserdisc; Netflix Instant; VHS
    10/01/2010: Tombs of the Blind Dead
    10/02/2010: Deep Red
    10/03/2010: Inferno
    10/04/2010: The Omen (1976)
    10/05/2010: Beauty and the Beast
    10/06/2010: Hostel; Sleepy Hollow
    10/07/2010: The Exorcist- Director's Cut; Sole Survivor (1983)
    10/08/2010: Poltergeist; The Abominable Dr. Phibes; Burnt Offerings; Hatchet; House by the Cemetery
    10/09/2010: The Beyond; Dead Silence; Alien;The Mist;Young Frankenstein
    10/10/2010: Aliens; Dead Birds; Clawed: The Legend of Sasquatch; The Frighteners; The Amityville Horror (1979)
    10/11/2010: Two Evil Eyes (HD); Orphan
    10/12/2010: Dark Night of the Scarecrow
    10/13/2010: Frozen
    10/14/2010: Mother of Tears
    Total: 29
    Other Notables:
    Just Couldn't Finish It(Boring): The Church; Zombiethon
    Does This Even Count?(Films of questionable genre): Beauty and the Beast; Young Frankenstein
    My eyes! The goggles do nothing!(Bad PQ): Burnt Offerings; Dead Birds(its VHS afterall)

19. joltaddict

joltaddict New Member

9 - Inferno Oct 14
    Because Halloween without Argento is like Christmas without Santy Claus. And I hadnt watched this one in a long time.

10 - Triangle Oct 14
    This was fucking awesome. Slasher-rific without an ounce of cheese or a cornball twist ending. And it had Melissa George running around in heels and daisy dukes for the entire movie.

Finally in double digits.

20. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

Deadly Blessing (1981)

Woman and her two friends are being terrorized on a farm by an unknown killer. Meanwhile a religious community that would make the Amish appear like swingers are calling outsiders the Incubus. Fun & original horror from Wes Craven who would later incorporate several Deadly Blessing ideas into A Nightmare on Elm Street.
    October/Halloween score: 4/5 for including Lois Nettleton as Louisa, spider drop into Sharon Stone's mouth, dry bed hump, creepy paintings, coffin chicken, driving lessons, untamed passion, dog attack, fight in bedroom.

Dark Night of the Scarecrow (1981)

Bubba, a mentally limited man is accused of killing a little girl. Bubba is lynch-mobed but returns as a Scarecrow to have his revenge. I must admit this film didn't do much for me on my first viewing back in the day. And I was more than surprised finding out that Dark Night of the Scarecrow has such a dedicated following. I wouldn't call it a masterpiece, as I have seen made for TV movies that had more impact on me and left a stronger impression. But I've always appreciated DNOTS enough to buy this DVD. It makes for a fun October viewing.
    October/Halloween score: 4/5 for including Halloween party, pumpkin field showdown, grave digging, shovel kill.