The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread...SUCKAS!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 27, 2010.

1. cameron_lodge

cameron_lodge New Member

10/1
    1) Inside (À l'intérieur) (2007)
    2) The Blob (1988)
    3) Breeders (1986)

10/2
    4) Videodrome (1983)
    5) The Video Dead (1987)
    6) TerrorVision (1986)

10/3
    7) Slither (2006)

10/4
    8) The Devil's Backbone (2001)

10/6
    9) Vampire Circus (1972)

Had not seen this one in a long time. A local channel in Phoenix used to occasionally show it late nights circa 1980-1982. I'm not sure if I ever actually made it all the way through a full viewing before now because it freaked me out so bad when I was a kid. Watching it now, I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of gore and nudity.

10/7
    10) Planet Of The Vampires (1965)

10/8
    11) Tombs Of The Blind Dead (La noche del terror ciego) (1971)
    12) Subspecies (1991)

10/9
    13) Return Of The Evil Dead (El ataque de los muertos sin ojosl) (1973)
    14) Bloodstone: Subspecies II (1993)

10/10
    15) Onibaba (1964)

10/11
    16) Troll 2 (1990)

10/12
    17) The Sentinel (1977)

10/13
    18) Night Of The Creeps (1986)
    19) The Night Stalker (1972)

10/14
    20) Tremors (1990)

2. bigwes15

bigwes15 Active Member

19. Trick or Treat
    -I love this movie! I was a heavy metal kid in the 80's (and I still love it!), so that aspect of the flick is a huge plus for me. Sammi Curr is a formidable looking villain, although he does get a bit ridiculous toward the end. Marc Price gives a great performance as the bullied outcast initially out for revenge and then scared by how out of control it gets. Although I do think the movie somewhat loses its way during the second half, overall it still works. No gore to speak of here, though. Gene Simmons and Doug Savant from Melrose Place and Desperate Housewives add excellent supporting roles, and the soundtrack is solid as well! Great stuff here........8.5/10.
    20. The Fog
    -One of the heavy hitters comes out to play here. When he is on his game, NOBODY does spectacular atmosphere and mood like John Carpenter. Halloween is of course his greatest, but this one is a contender as well. Those shots of the fog and the ghosts are some of the greatest in horror, and the film is boosted by great acting by some of my favorites throughout. If you haven't seen this, then you need to slap yourself across the face and get yourself to the keyboard to order this right now! Watching it is not enough, you need to own it for several subsequent joyous viewings. A true classic........9.5/10.
    21. Night of the Living Dead (1990 Savini remake)
    -Many of you will undoubtedly call me crazy, but I prefer this to the original in absolutely every way. The atmosphere somehow works better in the drained color that is utilized, the acting is much better than the original (especially the incredible showcase roles of Tony Todd and Tom Towles), and of course the effects are better. A modern classic that deserves a lot more respect than it has received. Give this one another chance, guys!.............9/10.
    *29 to go to reach 50 for this year...I'm going to make it!!

3. joltaddict

joltaddict New Member

I like Fear Itself (season 4?) the best. Now I kinda wanna go watch it. :D

4. joltaddict

joltaddict New Member

11 - House Of The Devil Oct 14
    This was great. I dont get the bashing. The pace was fine. It was a slow build yeah but not "bad". And the so called plot holes never once pulled me out of the movie. Every one of them pointed out in the thread here I rationalized just fine while I was watching it. And even now thinking about it more none of them are that egregious. Its a damn good old school horror flick. And I mean OLD school. Not the nods to Halloween/Friday that Hatchet and The Tripper strove for. This is early 80s, late 70 style before the bad guys were front and center with the spotlight on them.

5. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

October 15th:

Slumber Party Massacre 2
    Slumber Party Massacre 3

Watched both with the commentaries.

6. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Prom Night (1980)

7. joltaddict

joltaddict New Member

12 - Life Blood Oct 15
    Jesusfuck I think I lost 50 IQ points from watching this. I heard "Lesbian Vampires" and I thought, well you cant fuck that up. I was wrong.

8. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Friday Night Triple Feature

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Rosemary's Baby (1968)

Young couple encounter witches and satan in new apartment building. Classic thrills that still delivers the goods.
    October/Halloween score: 5/5 for including surreal nightmares, body painting, nude coven, devil chant, asian tourist with camera, black cradle, breast milk, awful vidal sassoon hairdo.

Let's Sare Jessica to Death (1971)

Young couple + friend encounter ghostly vampire in new old house by the lake. Just like good wine this one gets better with age.
    October/Halloween score: 5/5 for including Mariclare Costello as Emily, zombified townsfolk, scary stuff in the water, stuffy attic, dead mole, poison apples, seance, inner monologue, whispering voices, electronic score.

Don't Look Now (1973)

Young couple in Venice are haunted by the spirit of dead daughter. A blind psychic predicts an unhappy ending though. Excellent psychological horror that almost could have been a great giallo too!
    October/Halloween score: 5/5 for including: chilly Venice, white rats, dooming red color, psychic breast rub, extended sex, eerie canal travel vision.

9. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

October 15th:

Phantasm (1979)
    Phantasm II (1988)
    Phantasm III: Lord of the Dead (1993)
    Phantasm IV: Oblivion (1998)
    Masters of Horror: Don Coscarelli's Incident On and Off A Mountain Road (2006)

10. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

What I've watched so far this month:

Twilight Zone: The Movie
    The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
    Child's Play 2
    The Lost Boys
    The Omen (1976)
    Halloween H20
    The Slumber Party Massacre
    Ernest Scared Stupid
    Trick 'r Treat
    Frozen
    The Wolf Man (2010)
    The Blob (1988)
    Slumber Party Massacre II
    A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010)
    Slumber Party Massacre III
    Lost Boys: The Thirst
    Night of the Demons (2010)
    Sleepaway Camp
    Slither
    Hellbound: Hellraiser II
    Phantasm
    Hocus Pocus
    Friday the 13th (1980)
    Pig Hunt
    Cujo

11. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

12. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

SAXCATZ:
    KEY: Blu-Ray; HD-DVD; DVD; Laserdisc; Netflix Instant; VHS
    10/01/2010: Tombs of the Blind Dead
    10/02/2010: Deep Red
    10/03/2010: Inferno
    10/04/2010: The Omen (1976)
    10/05/2010: Beauty and the Beast
    10/06/2010: Hostel; Sleepy Hollow
    10/07/2010: The Exorcist- Director's Cut; Sole Survivor (1983)
    10/08/2010: Poltergeist; The Abominable Dr. Phibes; Burnt Offerings; Hatchet; House by the Cemetery
    10/09/2010: The Beyond; Dead Silence; Alien;The Mist;Young Frankenstein
    10/10/2010: Aliens; Dead Birds; Clawed: The Legend of Sasquatch; The Frighteners; The Amityville Horror (1979)
    10/11/2010: Two Evil Eyes (HD); Orphan
    10/12/2010: Dark Night of the Scarecrow
    10/13/2010: Frozen
    10/14/2010: Mother of Tears
    10/15/2010: Rosemary's Baby
    Total: 30
    Other Notables:
    Just Couldn't Finish It(Boring): The Church; Zombiethon
    Does This Even Count?(Films of questionable genre): Beauty and the Beast; Young Frankenstein
    My eyes! The goggles do nothing!(Bad PQ): Burnt Offerings; Dead Birds(its VHS afterall)

13. joltaddict

joltaddict New Member

13 - The Hills Run Red Oct 15

I guess I accidentally did a Sophie Monk double feature. I had no idea the girl from Life Blood was in this. I just grabbed what looked interesting off my to watch pile. What are the odds of that?

Very good flick. But Im a sucker for that TCM style lost in the sticks movie. Its my favorite style of horror flick. Not as good as Frontier(s) but better than the Wrong Turns. I had low expectations though, thats why this has sat unwatched for so long. I just thought it was going to be a cheap DTV Hills Have Eyes rip off. Its not. Tons of gore and gratuitous nudity as well.

14. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Up to a whopping THREE.

Last week I popped in The Curse of Frankenstein. You know, that might actually be my least favorite of the Hammer Frankensteins, odd as that sounds.

Tonight was The Omen on Blu-Ray. Great improvement over the laserdisc I'm used to.

15. addicted2dvd

addicted2dvd New Member

[​IMG]
    Title: Creature from the Black Lagoon: The Legacy Collection
    Year: 1954
    Director: Jack Arnold
    Rating: NR
    Length: 79 Min.
    Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
    Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
    Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
    Richard Carlson
    Julie Adams
    Richard Denning
    Antonio Moreno
    Nestor Paiva
    Whit Bissell

Plot:
    Who knows what undiscovered life forms inhabit the bodies of water on our planet? When scientists exploring the Amazon River stumble on a “missing link” connecting humans and fish, they plan to capture it for later study. But the creature has plans of its own, inspired by the lead scientist’s (Richard Carlson) beautiful fiancée. Kay (Julie Adams). This classic thriller is a genuine tribute to imaginative storytelling and an exceptional showcase for the legendary makeup artistry of Bud Westmore.

Extras:
    Scene Access
    Audio Commentary
    Feature Trailers
    Featurettes
    Gallery

My Thoughts:
    This is one I enjoyed very much. I thought the whole story was well done. It is one that kept my interest from the beginning to the end. I also really liked the look they gave Gill-Man... and enjoyed the underwater scenes quite a bit. I was just recently given Creature from the Black Lagoon: The Legacy Collection... and I must say I am not disappointed in the least. The quality is very good (at least on my standard 24in. TV)... and there is a nice selection of extras. This is my third time watching this movie... but I never seen any of the sequels so I am thrilled I finally have this legacy collection release.

My Rating: 4/5

Count:
    Movie Count: 57
    TV Ep. Count: 23
    Other Count: 8

16. 3invertednines

3invertednines New Member

We should have a thread about the most pathetic October viewing marathons. I'm up to five.

1. Amityville II

2. Shock Waves

3. The Video Dead

4. Tales from the Hood

5. Amityville III

17. Damage

Damage Mirror Mirror

[​IMG]
    Frankenstein Created Woman (1967)
    Terence Fisher returns to direct Hammer Films' fourth Frankenstein chapter, once again starring the unequalled Peter Cushing. The Baron doesn't seem quite as evil this time around, but then again, how evil can you be when you create something as beautiful as Susan Denberg?

Damage's Halloween Horrors 2010 so far
    Repo! The Genetic Opera (2008)
    The Relic (1997)
    The Curse of Frankenstein (1957)
    The Mist (2007)
    The Revenge of Frankenstein (1958)
    Grindhouse (2007)
    Zombie Lake (1980)
    The Equinox: A Journey Into the Supernatural (1967)
    The Evil of Frankenstein (1964)
    Frankenstein Created Woman (1967)

18. addicted2dvd

addicted2dvd New Member

[​IMG]
    Title: Revenge of the Creature: The Legacy Collection
    Year: 1955
    Director: Jack Arnold
    Length: 82 Min.
    Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo

Stars:
    John Agar
    Lori Nelson
    John Bromfield
    Nestor Paiva
    Grandon Rhodes
    Dave Willock

Plot:
    In this provocative follow-up to the original, the Creature (John Agar) has been captured by scientists who will stop at nothing to uncover his secrets. Miserable in captivity, the Creature finds only one source of sympathy – a beautiful female researcher (Lori Nelson). Soon he escapes and kidnaps her, determined to take her to his underwater lair. Acting legend Clint Eastwood’s first screen appearance is among the surprises found in this clever sequel, directed by the original’s Jack Arnold.

Extras:
    Scene Access
    Audio Commentary
    Feature Trailers

My Thoughts:
    While I still enjoyed it... this one lost a little something for me by bringing the Gill-Man to civilization. Granted that if they didn't it would have basically been the same movie over again. I could be imagining things here... but it also seemed like we saw a bit less of the Gill-Man this time as well. And the parts without him seemed slower to me. Maybe because I didn't care about the characters quite as much this time as I did the last time. But over-all it is still a good movie.

My Rating: 3.5/5

Count:
    Movie Count: 58

19. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

October 15
    [​IMG]
    Hellraiser (1987)

20. addicted2dvd

addicted2dvd New Member

[​IMG]
    Title: The Creature Walks Among Us: The Legacy Collection
    Year: 1956
    Director: John Sherwood
    Length: 78 Min.

Stars:
    Jeff Morrow
    Rex Reason
    Leigh Snowden
    Gregg Palmer
    Maurice Manson
    James Rawley

Plot:
    Once again, scientists underestimate the Creature (Jeff Morrow), this time in a failed surgical attempt to transform him from a mutant into a human. Being able to live on land is not enough to make the Creature comfortable with humans. Enraged, he turns his wrath on anyone who comes near as he desperately tries to return to the deep-water world where he truly belongs. Highlighted by the original’s eerie underwater photography and distinctive makeup, the film is an enduring tribute to the series’ inventive creators.

Extras:
    Scene Access
    Audio Commentary
    Feature Trailers

My Thoughts:
    The first thing I did when I went to watch this one (as I do with all movies I never seen before) is watch the trailer. And I must admit... the trailer really had me worried. First they take him out of the lagoon into civilization... and then they take him completely out of the water? Thankfully it wasn't as bad as I was expecting... but still not as good as the first movie. I would say I enjoyed this one about as much as the second movie.

My Rating: 3.5/5

Count:
    Movie Count: 59