The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread...SUCKAS!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Damage

Damage Mirror Mirror

[​IMG]
    Trick or Treat (1986)
    Growing up as a metalhead outsider in a school full of preppies back in the 80s, I connected with Skippy's charcater in this film, which has very little to do with Halloween. The Fastway soundtrack was an odd choice but the movie is a lot of fun.

Damage's Halloween Horrors 2010 so far
    Repo! The Genetic Opera (2008)
    The Relic (1997)
    The Curse of Frankenstein (1957)
    The Mist (2007)
    The Revenge of Frankenstein (1958)
    Grindhouse (2007)
    Zombie Lake (1980)
    The Equinox: A Journey Into the Supernatural (1967)
    The Evil of Frankenstein (1964)
    Frankenstein Created Woman (1967)
    Trick or Treat (1986)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
  2. Silent Noize

Silent Noize New Member

October 1st

01. Horror of Dracula (1958)

October 2nd

02. Captain Kronos - Vampire Hunter (1974)

October 3rd

03. Bay of Blood (1971)

October 4th

04. Friday the 13th (1980)

October 5th

05. Friday the 13th Part 2 (1981)

October 6th

06. Friday the 13th Part III (1982)

October 7th

07. Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984)

October 8th

08. Hatchet (2006) Blu

October 9th

09. The Hills Have Eyes (1977)

October 10th

10. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)

October 11th

11. The Crazies (1973)

October 12th

12. Nightmare City (1980)

October 13th

13. Planet Terror (2007)

October 14th

14. The Beyond (1981)

October 15th

15. The Mummy (1959)

October 16th

16. Alien (1979)

3. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

How was Lost Boys: The Thirst. I am thinking of renting it, but I'm afraid it might not be very good.

4. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

10/14
    20) Thirst--Interesting story of modern-day vampiric cult. Some suspenseful scenes and striking imagery in the extended avant-garde hallucination sequence. Definitely aided by a grounded, realistic tone and a commanding performance by David Hemmings. Well worth the time.

21) The Mad Ghoul--Forget the outrageous and completely ridiculous plot. A great cast makes this one a lot of fun. Genre stars Lionel Atwill and Evelyn Ankers are always interesting leads. And Robert Armstrong (Carl Denham himself) gives a great comic performance as a mustachioed reporter on the trail of the murderers. One of the better Universal "Bs" from this period.

10/15
    22) Dellamorte Dellamore--I've seen this one several times and I'm still not sure what to make of it. A great-looking film--no surprise given Soavi's ties to Argento. Definitely more of a black comedy than a horror movie. And much more effective early than late (the final half hour is especially bewildering and incoherent). Rupert Everett's wry, sarcastic performance is a definite plus. And Anna Falchi glows with a radioactive hotness that must have made her visible from outer space. Avoid at all costs if a tidy resolution is part of your viewing requirements.

23) The Last Horror Film (1982)--Apparently shot guerilla style at the Cannes film festival, this makes an interesting companion piece to Maniac--which featured the same stars. Fascinating for its backdrop of vintage posters and marquees (including a theater showing Cannibal Holocaust!). Definitely overdoes it with the cheesy 80s pop interludes. But lots of gratuitous nudity and big helpings of Caroline Munro and Joe Spinell at his sweaty, bug-eyed best give this some memorable moments. Spinell's ability to commit to this type of character makes all the difference. Interesting note, his mother in the film is his actual mother. Stay tuned to the very end for their most amusing scene together.

24) The strange Case of Dr. RX--Easily the least enjoyable film in the TCM Universal Cult Horror Collection box. A really dreary murder mystery with bland Patric Knowles as the dullest master detective ever to reach the big screen. Lionel Atwill's role is little more than a walk-on (despite prominent billing). Finally picks up steam for laboratory climax (which features the masked killer, a terrible gorilla suit, and lots of Frankenstein-like equipment). Barely adequate overall.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
  5. addicted2dvd

addicted2dvd New Member

[​IMG]
    Supernatural: The Complete Fourth Season
    RESURRECTION. AFTER ENDURING UNSPEAKABLE TORTURE, DEAN ESCAPES FROM HELL, rescued by an all-powerful creature he's never seen before: an Angel. This warrior of God who recruits Sam and Dean in Heaven's battle against Hell, amid whispers that a certain Fallen Angel will soon be freed from his prison deep in Hell: Lucifer. If Sam and Dean can't stop it – if Lucifer walks free – he'll bring on the Apocalypse. Meanwhile, the Winchester brothers reunite and hit the road, battling the supernatural wherever they go. They encounter demons, spirits, Dracula himself and even a drunk, heavily armed 7-foot-tall teddy bear. All the while, the ultimate war draws them into its horror throughout this enthralling 6-Disc, 22-Episode Season Four. Caught between Heaven and Hell, between God and the Devil, the Winchester brothers must battle for the future of humankind.

Episodes Watched:
    YELLOW FEVER
    Hell beckons again when Dean is stricken with a mysterious illness that frightens its sufferers to death. Sam and Dean scramble to find the cause of the disease in time to save Dean from sure death.

My Thoughts:
    This one is a decent ghost story... but not the best I ever seen on the show. It was entertaining to see Dean afraid of every little thing for a while... but it tended to get old after a bit. The episode is definitely worth watching though.

My Rating: 3.5/5

IT’S THE GREAT PUMPKIN, SAM WINCHESTER
    Chomping candy, bobbing for apples. Halloween is such fun. Until gruesome deaths signify another seal is being broken. To stop it, Castiel and another angel plan a mass annihilation of the town.

My Thoughts:
    A Supernatural Halloween. Of course you take the Halloween surroundings away from the storyline and you have business as usual for this show. It is a good, strong episode... though I wouldn't say it is the best I ever seen. O a, not particularly big on storylines about witches anyway. I can take them or leave them type of thing.

My Rating: 3.5/5

Count:
    Movie Count: 59
    TV Ep. Count: 25
    Other Count: 8

6. hulkyduck

hulkyduck Well-Known Member

october 15th

29.NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET.(1984)
    The first in the series and also the best, real horrifying film about a monster who gets us when we do one of the few things we must do....sleep. Freddy is terrifying in this film compared to later films when freddy turned into a parody of himself.

7. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

October 16th
    [​IMG][​IMG]

32) Night Of The Demons (2010): The perfect example of a remake done right. OK, I'd be lying if I didn't say this film has some cheesy special effects and some questionable acting, but over all it was a fun watch. Oh, and whatever weight Monica Keena lost, Edward Furlong gained. (7/10)

33) Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark: This was one creepy fucking movie. (7/10)

8. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

[​IMG]

I also threw in the Elvira unaired pilot for good laugh out loud measure.

9. addicted2dvd

addicted2dvd New Member

[​IMG]
    Tales from the Darkside: The First Season
    Tales from the Darkside, the uniquely terrifying, frighteningly popular horror anthology series, is back. Packed with haunting stories that at first light appear to be about normal situations, these tales are gradually twisted until they become something sinister, shocking and totally unsettling.

Revealing the dark underworld of our everyday existence, Tales from the Darkside includes stories penned by masters of horror, with unforgettable performances by some of Hollywood's finest stars.

Dark, scary and with a bizarre sense of justice, all 24 episodes of Tales from the Darkside's spine-tingling first season will capture your imagination...and never let it go.

Episodes Watched:
    A CASE OF THE STUBBORNS
    Hell beckons again when Dean is stricken with a mysterious illness that frightens its sufferers to death. Sam and Dean scramble to find the cause of the disease in time to save Dean from sure death.

My Thoughts:
    This is a fun episode. It is a good mixture of comedy in this one.... though most of the episodes of this series seems to be. The reverend in this one looked familiar... but I just couldn't place him while watching. Then when the credits ran it was obvious. It was Brent Spinner (Data on Star Trek: TNG).

My Rating: 4/5

DJINN, NO CHASER
    An unfriendly genie stuck in a magic lamp refuses to grant wishes and instead terrorizes a couple...until the wife discovers the most unlikely solution.

My Thoughts:
    This one didn't thrill me all that much... it was more silly then anything. To the point of being ridiculous.

My Rating: 1.5/5

ALL A CLONE BY THE TELEPHONE
    A magical answering machine helps a luckless TV writer discover new material. But soon the scribe finds the machine is taking over his life.

My Thoughts:
    This one I liked a little better then the previous one... but it still wasn't what I would call great... and found to be more on the silly side then anything.

My Rating: 2/5

IN THE CARDS
    A cursed deck of cards proves to be a deadly gamble for a fake fortune-teller doing predictions. Still not quite as good as the first one I watched today though.

My Thoughts:
    This one is pretty good... it has good atmosphere and is done well.

My Rating: 3/5

Count:
    Movie Count: 59
    TV Ep. Count: 29
    Other Count: 8

10. bigwes15

bigwes15 Active Member

22. Trick or Treats
    -Did you ever have a movie that you've seen that absolutely stinks, yet you keep coming back again and again to watch it? Luckily, there's not many of those for me....but this is one of them. As a kid at the local Playtime video I fell in love with the Vestron box, which depicts a Halloween bag with a severed head inside. Of course, nothing resembling this appears in the movie, which is roughly as scary as watching Janet Reno battle a nasty case of diarrhea after a night at a Mexican restaurant. The killer (Peter Jason) is played off as a joke, there is no blood and extremely limited Halloween atmosphere, and it moves slower than Ernest Borgnine racing Usain Bolt. Still, I keep coming back in the ridiculous hope that something in it will someday live up to that cover. As Norman once said, we all go a little mad sometimes.........2/10 (but I'll keep trying!)

11. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

October 16th:

The Kindred (1986)
    [​IMG]

The Seventh Sign (1988)
    [​IMG]

The Guardian (1990)
    [​IMG]

Grace (2008)
    [​IMG]

It's Alive (1973)
    [​IMG]

The Unborn (1991)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
  12. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

DEMENTIA 13 (Roan DVD),HOUSE OF USHER (1960).

13. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

October 14th-

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Black Cat is a fairy decent, atmospheric little film and Ripper is a crazy mix of slasher and triller. At times Ripper is nasty and other times enjoyable for it's shear ridiculousness. Especially The Professor's beard.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  14. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

15. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

October 16
    [​IMG]
    "I'm gonna set a new high score on video machine."

[​IMG]
    The Mutilator (1984)
    Demons (1985)

16. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

Paranormal Activity (2007)

The later the evening, the more effective the movie. And yeah, my name is still listed in the end credits. I never get tired of mentioning that :D
    October/Halloween score: 5/5 for including things that go bump in the night.

The Mist (2007)

People trapped in a supermarket must fight bizarro creatures from beyond hidden in the mist. Unsettling because religious people are actually scarier than the monsters.
    October/Halloween score: 5/5 for including wandering mist, bloody rope tug, tentacles, giant bugs, neck swelling, preaching.

17. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

This year for me it's been a weird mix.
    1. Nightmare On Elm Street (2010)
    2. Suck
    3. 30 Days Of Night: Dark Days
    4. Gremlins
    5. Never Sleep Again: Nightmare On Elm Street Legacy

18. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

October 16th

Dark Night Of The Scarecrow DVD Commentary

19. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Oct 1st: Race With the Devil (1975)
    Oct 2nd: Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part 2 (1986)
    Oct 4th: Night of the Creeps (1986)
    Oct 5th: Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
    Oct 6th: Return of the Living Dead (1985)
    Oct 8th: Revenge of Frankenstein (1958), Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed (1969)
    Oct 9th: Humanoids From the Deep (1980)
    Oct 10th: Shock Waves (1977)
    Oct 11th: The Haunted Palace (1963)
    Oct 12th: Creepshow (1982)
    Oct 13th: Dark Night of the Scarecrow (1981)
    Oct 16th: Aliens (1986) in theater with actor Lance Henriksen in attendance

20. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

a little behind on my updates...

October 15:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

The Grudge (Unrated Extended Director's Cut): Ya know I realized that I've never watched this version of the film even though I bought it the day it came out on DVD. It was still in it's shrink wrap. I have watched the non-unrated version though....anyway I don't really know what the differences are because it's probably been over 5 years since I last watched any incarnation of this flick. For the most part it still holds up. There were a couple of moments where I groaned a bit, but I like the American lost in an alien society angle and most of the scary parts still creep me out.

Deer Woman: Still funny. The Deer Woman is still hot. The morgue worker is still hotter. The acting is pretty bad but that makes it more fun.

Nails: I watched this a few years ago and I'm still not sure how to describe it. Let's just say a hitman has these headaches and so decides to hammer nails into his own skull/brain in order to relieve the tension....and then things get really odd. Sometimes seems like the movie is trying too hard to be weird, but mostly there are great visuals, at times nightmarish, nauseating, beautiful. I dunno. I like it but I'm not quite sure why I like it.

Thankskilling: The main reason I watched this was because I was trying out Netflix (new to Canada!). It's really bad but it's supposed to be really bad. There are a couple of scenes that made made laugh quite hard, but mostly I just groaned and wanted to turn it off.