The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread...SUCKAS!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 27, 2010.

1. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

October 16:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Killer Klowns From Outer Space: First time viewing. I was enjoying the silliness of it all (except for the two brothers, they were ANNOYING), but it kind of wore out it's welcome by the end.

Madman: Still not sure why Madman Marz turned into a monster after getting hung...wasn't he just a normal guy? Anyway still a pretty decent slasher with good kills and some odd casting choices/couple pairings.

The Last Broadcast: I watched this waaay back during the Blair Witch craze and didn't enjoy it. Decided to give it another try...didn't like it. The technology references are pretty funny though.

The Children: Really wish someone besides Troma would re-release this one. Really fun movie that just flies by and leaves you wanting more.

2. addicted2dvd

addicted2dvd New Member

[​IMG]
    Title: Zombieland
    Year: 2009
    Director: Ruben Fleischer
    Rating: R
    Length: 88 Min.

Stars:
    Jesse Eisenberg
    Woody Harrelson
    Emma Stone
    Abigail Breslin
    Amber Heard

Plot:
    Nerdy college student Columbus (Jesse Eisenberg) has survived the plague that has turned mankind into flesh-devouring zombies because he's scared of just about everything. Gun-toting, Twinkie-loving Tallahassee (Woody Harrelson) has no fears. Together, they are about to stare down their most horrifying challenge yet: each other's company. Emma Stone and Abigail Breslin co-star in this double-hitting, head-smashing comedy.

My Thoughts:
    I just finished watching this one on Starz On-Demand. I really enjoyed this one quite a bit. I literally laughed out loud on more then on occasion. While I liked the entire cast... Woody Harrelson made the movie for me. He just played the character perfectly. And I loved where they ended up while in Hollywood... and the whole situation surrounding it (not wanting to spoil it for anyone that may not have seen this yet)... this was just hilarious. I am definitely going to have to add this movie to my collection!

My Rating: 4/5

Count:
    Movie Count: 60
    TV Ep. Count: 29
    Other Count: 8

3. Damage

Damage Mirror Mirror

[​IMG]
    Child's Play (1988)
    Chucky's first playdate and the only release by MGM before selling the series to Universal. Finally, an anamorphic release with the Blu-ray. Hard to believe this movie is over twenty years old.

Damage's Halloween Horrors 2010 so far
    Repo! The Genetic Opera (2008)
    The Relic (1997)
    The Curse of Frankenstein (1957)
    The Mist (2007)
    The Revenge of Frankenstein (1958)
    Grindhouse (2007)
    Zombie Lake (1980)
    The Equinox: A Journey Into the Supernatural (1967)
    The Evil of Frankenstein (1964)
    Frankenstein Created Woman (1967)
    Trick or Treat (1986)
    Child's Play (1988)

4. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

SAXCATZ:
    KEY: Blu-Ray; HD-DVD; DVD; Laserdisc; Netflix Instant; VHS
    10/01/2010: Tombs of the Blind Dead
    10/02/2010: Deep Red
    10/03/2010: Inferno
    10/04/2010: The Omen (1976)
    10/05/2010: Beauty and the Beast
    10/06/2010: Hostel; Sleepy Hollow
    10/07/2010: The Exorcist- Director's Cut; Sole Survivor (1983)
    10/08/2010: Poltergeist; The Abominable Dr. Phibes; Burnt Offerings; Hatchet; House by the Cemetery
    10/09/2010: The Beyond; Dead Silence; Alien;The Mist;Young Frankenstein
    10/10/2010: Aliens; Dead Birds; Clawed: The Legend of Sasquatch; The Frighteners; The Amityville Horror (1979)
    10/11/2010: Two Evil Eyes (HD); Orphan
    10/12/2010: Dark Night of the Scarecrow
    10/13/2010: Frozen
    10/14/2010: Mother of Tears
    10/15/2010: Rosemary's Baby
    10/16/2010: The Mutilator; Funeral Home; Haunts; Opera (1987); Psycho (1960)
    Total: 35
    Other Notables:
    Just Couldn't Finish It(Boring): The Church; Zombiethon
    Does This Even Count?(Films of questionable genre): Beauty and the Beast; Young Frankenstein
    My eyes! The goggles do nothing!(Bad PQ): Burnt Offerings; Dead Birds(its VHS afterall); The Mutilator (for the ludicrously out of focus title shot & worst "black" levels I've evern seen); Haunts (appears to be a poor quality tape source)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
  5. addicted2dvd

addicted2dvd New Member

[​IMG]
    Title: Cabin Fever 2
    Year: 2009
    Director: Ti West
    Rating: R
    Length: 86 Min.

Stars:
    Alexi Wasser
    Giuseppe Andrews
    Michael Bowen
    Judah Friedlander
    Larry Fessenden

Plot:
    Days after a killer virus consumed his friends, Paul emerges from a ditch by a river. Though his body has been ravaged by the virus, Paul is determined to survive - and to warn others of the danger. But a water bottling plant has already distributed contaminated water to the local high school. The school's students are excitedly preparing for the prom - unaware they're about to have a grisly date with death.

My Thoughts:
    This one I watched on FearNET On-Demand. I really enjoyed the first Cabin Fever... but this one not so much. I am glad I watched this one on TV... as I do not see myself wanting to watch it again. The acting is bad... some of the effects are ok... but for the most part it was just projectile vomiting of blood and other garbage like that. I don't think I will bother adding this one to my collection.

On a side note. I remember now why I don't watch FearNET On-Demand as much as you would think. At all times there is a watermark of their channel in the lower right corner of the screen. That alone while aggravating... I can forgive. But the off and on through-out the entire movie they have little pop-up adds for other movies and such that take up most of the bottom of the screen. I realize this is considered a free channel... but I rather put up with commercial breaks over that garbage. If you are going to show a movie... don't paste crap over top the picture!

My Rating: 2/5

Count:
    Movie Count: 61
    TV Ep. Count: 29

6. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    In the past week, I've watched Saw 6, Halloween 2 (what a waste!!), The Final Destination and all 3 Slumber Party Massacre films! I caught up on a few series that I hadn't watched the last installment of!

7. Damage

Damage Mirror Mirror

[​IMG]
    Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed (1969)
    Any warm and fuzzy thoughts you might have had about the Baron going soft over the past few movies are dismembered from your consciousness as this is Frankenstein at his most ruthless! He's not above extortion, rape or murder in the pursuit of his experimental brain surgery. Terence Fisher and Peter Cushing team up once again in Hammer Films' fifth movie in the Frankenstein canon. Outstanding!

Damage's Halloween Horrors 2010 so far
    Repo! The Genetic Opera (2008)
    The Relic (1997)
    The Curse of Frankenstein (1957)
    The Mist (2007)
    The Revenge of Frankenstein (1958)
    Grindhouse (2007)
    Zombie Lake (1980)
    The Equinox: A Journey Into the Supernatural (1967)
    The Evil of Frankenstein (1964)
    Frankenstein Created Woman (1967)
    Trick or Treat (1986)
    Child's Play (1988)
    Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed (1969)

8. Silent Noize

Silent Noize New Member

[​IMG]

October 1st

01. Horror of Dracula (1958)

October 2nd

02. Captain Kronos - Vampire Hunter (1974)

October 3rd

03. Bay of Blood (1971)

October 4th

04. Friday the 13th (1980)

October 5th

05. Friday the 13th Part 2 (1981)

October 6th

06. Friday the 13th Part III (1982)

October 7th

07. Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984)

October 8th

08. Hatchet (2006) Blu

October 9th

09. The Hills Have Eyes (1977)

October 10th

10. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)

October 11th

11. The Crazies (1973)

October 12th

12. Nightmare City (1980)

October 13th

13. Planet Terror (2007)

October 14th

14. The Beyond (1981)

October 15th

15. The Mummy (1959)

October 16th

16. Alien (1979)

October 17th

17. Contamination (1980)

9. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

10/16
    25) The Deathmaster--A childhood favorite that's still a lot of fun. Robert Quarry is ideally cast as vampire guru, Khorda--who wows his stoned hippie flock with some authentic-sounding philosophical jibberish. Builds nicely to a strong denouement. Ideal double feature partner for one of the Count Yorga movies or Sugar Hill (unfortunately still not available on DVD). Commentary junkies take note: Quarry's track with Fred Olen Ray is a great listen.

26) Vampire Circus--Graphic Hammer horror featuring ample doses of nudity and some effective gore. Starts strong and remains atmospheric throughout. Should reach a much wider audience with Synapse's forthcoming DVD and Blu-ray releases. Highly recommended for Hammer fans. Pre-order with confidence.

10. addicted2dvd

addicted2dvd New Member

[​IMG]
    Tales from the Darkside: The First Season
    Tales from the Darkside, the uniquely terrifying, frighteningly popular horror anthology series, is back. Packed with haunting stories that at first light appear to be about normal situations, these tales are gradually twisted until they become something sinister, shocking and totally unsettling.

Revealing the dark underworld of our everyday existence, Tales from the Darkside includes stories penned by masters of horror, with unforgettable performances by some of Hollywood's finest stars.

Dark, scary and with a bizarre sense of justice, all 24 episodes of Tales from the Darkside's spine-tingling first season will capture your imagination...and never let it go.

Episodes Watched:
    ANNIVERSARY DINNER
    On the run from her boyfriend, a young girl is taken in by a friendly couple who invite her to their special anniversary dinner. Only she finds the main course horrifyingly unpalatable.

My Thoughts:
    Now this one is getting back to the good stuff. I really liked this episode. Even if I did see the ending come a mile away. It was just a lot of fun getting there. And this one has a familiar face... Alice Ghostley is in it who you may remember from Bewitched as Esmeralda in many episodes.

SNIP, SNIP
    It's a bewitching battle of wills after a warlock and a witch each lay claim to a $10 million lottery ticket.

My Thoughts:
    Another fun episode. It is on the silly side... but not so silly that it hurt the story. In this one another familiar face in Carol Kane from Taxi.

ANSWER ME
    A constantly ringing neighbor's phone torments Joan, an English actress subletting an apartment in Manhattan.

My Thoughts:
    This one I also enjoyed quite a bit. It has good atmosphere... and is a good story. The odd thing about it... and something else I enjoyed about it is that there was only 1 person in the entire episode.

Count:
    Movie Count: 61
    TV Ep. Count: 32

11. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

OCT 16 - The Thirst (2006) so-so at best - I do love Clare Kramer though

12. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

What a relief. I've felt like a sucker ever since I put in my pre-order a couple months ago. My gut has been telling me it would suck. I'm looking forward to it now.

I really need to get off my ass and pick this one up.

13. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

Second week of October:
    Critters: Take a believeable family, surround them with rural small-town 'types,' add attacking hungry furballs from space, throw in some awkward no-nonsense intergalactic bounty hunters who blow stuff up real good, and you have a great, fun creature feature. The Crites themselves are pint-sized bundles of mean, with personality, brought to life with cool puppetry FX.

And now for something completely different....

The Human Centipede (First Sequence): This is actually much better than expected, as it takes the bizarre central idea and builds a good, tension-filled horror movie around it. The two American girls start off ditzy and obnoxious, so in a slasher film, you'd root for them to get killed. But no one deserves this. Once the mad doctor (special props to the performance of Dieter Laser) explains his intentions, a dark dread decends upon what is so far a by-the-numbers scary movie exercise. The doc isn't a sex sicko; he treats his creation as a cross between a work of art and a pet. Thankfully, the movie is actually not terribly graphic, and is all the better for it.

Splinter: I love monster movies, but this one didn't do much for me. I didn't care for the characters (especially the ex-con gunman; when the film tries to make him a good guy by giving him a sad back story and noble intentions, I didn't buy it for a minute). Some good FX work on the creature (a kind of infectious, parasitic mold) is wasted by quick-cutting and shaky-cam. Disappointing. (P.S. The line "Don't worry, we're cutting your arm off!" is certainly Troll 2-worthy.)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  14. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

Beetlejuice
    Lost Boys: The Thirst
    The Crazies (Romero)
    Season Of The Witch

15. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

10/1 - Blow Out (1981) 6/10 **
    10/2 - Psycho (1960) 6/10 **
    10/3 - Trip with the Teacher (1975) 4/10 **
    10/4 - Malibu Beach (1978) 5/10 **
    10/5 - Dexter: S2 E6 Dex, Lies, and Videotape 8/10 **
    10/6 - Slumber Party Massacre (1982) 8/10
    10/7 - Slumber Party Massacre II (1987) 2/10
    10/7 - Superchick (1973) 2/10 **
    10/8 - Ghosts of Girlfriends Past (2009) 8/10 **
    10/8 - Slumber Party Massacre (1982) 8/10 (w/ Director and Cast Commentary 5/10**)
    10/8 - Psycho II (1983) 7/10 **
    10/9 - Slumber Party Massacre II (1987) 2/10 (w/ Director and Cast Commentary 5/10**)
    10/10 - Slumber Party Massacre III (1990) 2/10 **
    10/11 - Slumber Party Massacre III (1990) 2/10 ** (w/ Director and Cast Commentary 5/10**)
    10/12 - Alice, Sweet Alice (1976) 7/10 **
    10/13 - Kingdom of the Spiders (1977) 5/10 **
    10/14 - Psycho III (1986) 6/10 **
    10/15 - Sister Street Fighter (1974) 7/10 **
    10/16 - Don't Answer the Phone! (1980) 6/10 **

[​IMG]

I'm not a creature feature kinda a guy but I do love Shatner. Forty minutes into Kingdom of the Spiders I nearly turned it off. There was some funny dialogue but it was dreadfully boring. Then.....they attacked! With the fury of a snail on Quaaludes, dozens of tarantulas terrorized a sleepy little town. /sarcasm Seriously though, the final 45 minutes are non-stop hilarity. I've never seen tarantulas be so passive and not-scary which really made of the overacting and panic a real hoot. I watched it on IFC HD but now I want to order the Shout Factory disc so I can see the special features. HIGHLY RECOMMEND

[​IMG]

I'm really surprised that I'm enjoying this franchise. Pyscho III is a lot of fun. It's not quite as good as part 2, but it's way sleazier. Going super sleazy was a wise choice because they had no chance of topping the twist or suspense of the previous film. Juliette Cummings is a peach.

16. hulkyduck

hulkyduck Well-Known Member

october 17th

NIGHTMARE ON ELM ST. PT.4(1988)
    One of the better sequels, not as good as part 3 but better than 5+6 . plenty of imaginative kills and great freddy one liners .

17. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Oct. 17: Piranha (1978)

18. joltaddict

joltaddict New Member

14 - Its Alive (Remake) Oct 17

Easily the worst movie Ive seen this month. Makes Life Blood look like The Shining. I dont know how you fuck up a remake this bad, at the least you have the original to see what works, its not like youre building this from the ground up. Bad BAD CGI, youre stuck with an ugly post-partum chick who spends the bulk of the movie in a housecoat, horrible acting all round, just nothing good here. And the location is distracting as hell. Its obviously supposed to be the US but its just as obviously not. Its like some kid whos never been outside of Romanias idea of what America is. You would think this would work in a Twin Peaks surreal where is this kinda way but its just doesnt. Half the time youre thinking "Is this what euros think were like?".

19. addicted2dvd

addicted2dvd New Member

[​IMG]
    Title: The Batman vs Dracula
    Year: 2005
    Director: Michael Goguen
    Rating: NR
    Length: 83 Min.
    Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
    Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1
    Subtitles: N/A

Stars:
    Rino Romano
    Peter Stormare
    Tara Strong
    Tom Kenny
    Kevin Michael Richardson
    Alastair Duncan

Plot:
    Gotham City sleeps under the cover of darkness while two legendary bats take flight.

One is turning the city into an army of vampires while the other does everything he can to stop the mayhem. But Dracula isn't just like on of the Batman's usual foes: he's got supernatural powers of strength, speed, and mind control. Even with his arsenal of high-tech gadgets, the Dark Knight is still a mortal man. This is the one face-off that could clip the Batman's wings permanently! Also starring favorite characters like the Joker, Penguin, and Vicki Vale, in her first appearance in the series, this feature-length animated movie is fang-tastic.

Extras:
    Bonus Trailers
    Featurettes
    Production Notes
    Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
    This animated movie was recently given to me. And Brittany wanted to watch it with me today. I figure it has Dracula in it... what the heck... it counts for this marathon. I got to admit I really enjoyed it a lot. This is the first time I've seen anything from this Batman cartoon ("The Batman") While I prefer the way Batman looks in "The Animated Series" it is still good. And it does an even better job with The Joker and Penguin. Speaking of Penguin... he really made the show in this one. He had me literally laugh out loud in more then 1 scene. They were a little inconsistent on some of the vampire stuff... like no reflection in the mirror... yet "vampire Joker" had his reflection shown in the test tubes full of blood. But over all... we both really enjoyed watching this one.

Count:
    Movie Count: 62
    TV Ep. Count: 32

20. bloodthrill

bloodthrill New Member

Last nite (16th): Texas Chainsaw Massacre/House of 1000 Corpses double feature at Georgetown Drive-In (Indiana)..original 35 mm prints,and met Gunnar Hansen (John Dugan A.K.A. Grandpa was there too)...shook his hand and got a photo glossy autographed.It was a packed house! A good time,and well worth the 2 hr+ drive.

Back at the hotel.. The Forest,and Superstition.