The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread...SUCKAS!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 27, 2010.

1. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

This really doesnt count since its not a movie but tonight I watched:
    Oct 28 - It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown - still love it!

2. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

3. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

The Sentinel (1977)

Brownstone Terror: Young Model encounters strange neighbors and creepy noise from the apartment above. When she sees her undead father all hell breaks loose. "What do you do for a living? - We fondle each other."
    October/Halloween score: 4.5/5 for including coffee table orgasm, b&w nightmares, guinea pig on naked flesh.

Demon Seed (1977)

High-Tech Terror: Young woman is held captive in her own house by super-intelligent computer who wants to be a daddy. Thrilling sci-fi that will and still delivers.
    October/Halloween score: 4.5/5 for including artificial intergalactic intercourse, cube-decap, mentally disturbed having fit.

4. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

THE SATANIC RITES OF DRACULA
    HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL-original Rifftrax live event
    CASE 39 (theatrical)

5. Undeadcow

Undeadcow New Member

October 27
    [Jean Rollins double feature]
    106. Shiver of the Vampires* (1971, 90 minutes) 4/10 : Caught a washed out 35mm print at theather. This was a mind boggling mix of gothic imagery (so of which is spot on) and exploitation with some especially poor actors (2 vampires) and bad wardrobe (bloodsuckers in polyester bell bottom decour). Some of the intentionally cartoonish segments slowed the film which could have been shorted was effective overall. The core plot about a couple being pulled apart and into vampirism is interesting and there's some good contrast desiring death versus seeking a fulfilling life. It was fun to see but I'm not sure how often I'd revisit.
    107. The Living Dead Girl* (1982, 86 minutes) 5.5/10 : This movie reminded me a lot of Frankenstein. Although there's a toxic zombie french girl who craves blood the film's crux is morally complex character drama. Some of the interactions seem un-natural but the existential themes they lead too are compelling.
    [Hellraiser marathon]
    108. Hellraiser (1987, 94 minutes) 6/10 : One of the cool things about Clive Barker is that he starts off with intense gruesome/gothic imagery then twists it into a compelling story. Early on the intensity becomes pedestrian making gruesome segments less creepy lulling into false "desensitization" before things start to sizzle with cat & mouse chases between Frank, cenobites, and Kirsty. I never understood Clare's motive (presumably all consuming lust but it's not convincing) so early segments seem more sensory than logical. Parts of Hellraiser suffer are overly ambitious but it's reputation as a horror classic is deserved.
    109. Hellbound: Hellraiser II (1988, 99 minutes) 4.5/10 : I hated Hellbound on first viewing but liked it much better this time. The asylum setting is cheesy and the girl who can solve puzzles a bit forced so the plot could have been more thought out. Otherwise it works as a fantasy film with horror elements. The vengence of the cenobites and unexpected return of characters carry over nicely from the first film. As a menace the doctor pails in comparison. I wonder how much was influenced by Nightmare on Elm Street III: Dream Warriors which is similar and filmed a year earlier (although Hellbound is a much better film).
    xxx. Meaningless Placeholder to Complain About Hellraiser III's Out of Print Status
    110. Hellraiser [IV]: Bloodline (1996, 86 minutes) 2.5/10 : As a serious stand alone film Bloodline is lackluster but as a tacked on appendage to a franchise it's mildly interesting. I hate origin stories and for a moment this one seemed more epic with period demon segments, modern day lore, and even exoskeleton sci-fi pagants. However, instead of living up to this potential Bloodline instead shoves a watered down Pinhed down our throats (he didn't play chase, talk your ear off, or call anyone a "victim" in the first two). I would love to see the proper 'director's cut' edit.
    111. Hellraiser [V]: Inferno (2000, 99 minutes) 5.5/10 : I loved this the first time I saw it and think it holds up well. Hallucinatory detective story about a corrupt cop on the trail of a child kidnapper. It's not big on the Hellraiser mythos, which is haphazardly tacked on. This installment feels like a cheap cable movie but I appreciate the trippy imagery and frantic story. It's a fun ride but there are some cheap shots and it's not for everyone.
    112. Hellraiser [VI]: Hellseeker (2002, 89 minutes) 4/10 : Similar in style to Hellraiser: Inferno but less effective (maybe because I viewed them back-to-back) since plotpoints are lack subtlety and the imagery is more subdued. Ashley Laurence/Kirsty is under-utilized although the story around her appearance adds depth to this film (but her character could have been meatier). At least this didn't just parading around Pinhead for 2 hours and his appearance(s) are effective. Inferno is an overly ambitious film.
    113. Hellraiser [VII]: Deader* (2004, 88 minutes) 3/10 : Even better than I thought it would be but not great due to some nonsensical devices. One good thing about the Hellraiser franchise is that it remains subtle and despite the Pinhead advertising on all the DVD covers sticks to stories rather than creatures. The play on underground culture seems off but is an effective progression of the mythology. Part of the Hellraiser material seems forced (because it was since the script was adapted to be a Hellraiser film) but overall effective. Worth seeing as part of the franchise but not as a standalone film.
    114. The Simpsons ["Treehouse of Horror" X-XII] (1996-2000, 66 minutes [22 minutes each x 3]) : XII - The parodies are less halloweenish lampooning 2001, Harry Potter, and gypsies. Still fun but not as good as it could have been. Where did Kang & Kodos go?!? | XI - the hansel and gretal parody was good and the dolphin end segment is the best out of X-XII. It's good to see Kang & Kodos hosting. | X - My favorite was the 'I Know What You Did Last Summer' parody but an overall strong showing with Y2K horror fun enjoyable "Desperately Seeking Xena."
    The Real Ghostbusters ["Citizen Ghost"] (1980s, 22 minutes) : Nostalgic fun
    115. Hellraiser [VIII]: Hellworld* (2005, 95 minutes) 1.5/10 : Someone turned Hellraiser into a video game cyber punk thriller and thought it was a good idea?!? ...but wait, they just teased it would be a video game cyber punk thriller but instead it's a slasher based around teens partying in a mansion (how did they get from video game to teen party). Nails in the coffin. Rather than wasting time with the video game nonsense they should have constructed a home video edition of the Lament Box that literally kills you when you watch it, that would have been more pleasant that Hellworld.

6. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

October 28th

[​IMG]

7. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Oct. 28th: Saw VII 3D

8. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

10/28
    50) Horrible--Aptly named companion piece to Antropophagus is an exercise in tedium and a much lesser film all-around. Set in America but obviously filmed in Europe. Houses feature suits of armor (!!!) and Super Bowl Party guests chow on that tailgate staple, pasta without sauce! If you must watch this one, listen for a bit of the instrumental marching music that blares from the outdoor PA system in Pieces. A nasty head in an oven scene livens up the proceedings at the very end. And the surprise appearance of a severed head late in the film will leave you laughing.

51) Halloween (1978)--My favorite film of all-time and still the greatest horror film I've ever seen.

52) Let's Scare Jessica To Death--Extremely moody film recalls Carnival Of Souls by establishing a haunted world where everything may not be as it seems. Relentlessly creepy and unsettling with terror lurking around every innocuous-looking corner. Rewards repeat viewings and supports multiple interpretations. Very well done.

9. addicted2dvd

addicted2dvd New Member

[​IMG]
    Outsourced: Season 1
    Outsourced is set in a Mumbai, India call center, where an American novelties company has recently outsourced its order processing. A lone American manages the call center and must explain American popular culture to his employees as he comes to understand Indian culture.

Episode Watched:
    Bolloween
    Todd attempts to explain Halloween to his co-workers; Tonya makes a pass at Todd during a costume party.

My Thoughts:
    This is a new show this season. One that has been a bit hit and miss for me. There has been a few laughs but I don't know... there is something about it. Something that is making it hold my attention. The Halloween episode last night was pretty good though. There was a couple decent laughs on it... and I did get a kick out of some of the costumes.

My Rating: 3.5/5

Count:
    Movie Count: 101
    TV Ep. Count: 51
    Other Count: 8

10. addicted2dvd

addicted2dvd New Member

[​IMG]
    Cougar Town: Season 2
    After Spending the last seventeen years as a wife and a mother, recently divorced Jules (Cox) has reluctantly waded back into the dating pool and quickly finds herself in over her head. Now forty-something and single, Jules tackles real-life issues - dating, parenting and friendship. It doesn't help Jules that her two best friends can hardly stand each other, her ex-husband is hanging around more now than he did during their marriage...and there's that handsome divorced neighbor that Jules can't quite get out of her head.

Episode Watched:
    You Don't Know How It Feels
    Jules' father visits and hits it off with Grayson; Laurie reminds Travis how fun Halloween can be.

My Thoughts:
    This show I do usually enjoy quite a bit. This one did fall a little short for me though. I was definitely expecting better costumes from this gang. And the story was only semi-entertaining.

My Rating: 3.5/5

Count:
    TV Ep. Count: 52

11. addicted2dvd

addicted2dvd New Member

[​IMG]
    Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Complete Sixth Season
    Elated with having Buffy back from the dead, her friends never wonder if she may have been in a better place. Only Spike knows the truth and as Buffy struggles to readjust to life, she begins a relationship with Spike that torments her as much as it brings her fleeting comfort. Yet even as Buffy fears that the magic that brought her back has somehow changed her, Willow's growing reliance on magic is an addiction she can barely control - and one that threatens everyone.

Episode Watched:
    All the Way
    Dawn lies to Buffy and goes out with a boy on Halloween, but when the boy turns out to be a vampire ignoring the Halloween-no-killing rule, Buffy and the guys must save her...again.

My Thoughts:
    If I am not mistaken... this is the last Halloween episode of Buffy.... at least I don't remember a Halloween episode in the final season. It was a fun episode... and I have to admit... Anya looked might fine in her Charlie's Angels costume! Another episode I really enjoyed.

My Rating: 4/5

Count:
    TV Ep. Count: 53

12. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Oct. 28th: City of the Living Dead, Zombie and Saw 6. Later that evening a friend came over for some drinks and we watched Evil Dead 1 and 2. He'd never seen them before.

13. hulkyduck

hulkyduck Well-Known Member

october 28th

46.HALLOWEEN 2 (1981)
    Although nowhere near as good as the original film there is still plenty to enjoy in this gory sequel, i always watch this and the original as one film.
    4/5

47.HOUSE OF THE DEVIL (2009)
    One of my favorite films of last year, creepy and full of atmosphere, the story is a very slow build up which leads to a crazy last 20 mins. Lookin forward to what Ti West does next. 4.5/5

48.DEAD SILENCE (2007)
    Got this on Blu Ray yesterday and really enjoyed this, very creepy story of kiler dummies taking revenge for a ventriloquist's murder, really good autumn atmosphere made this a great film to watch at this time of the year.4/5

14. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

SPAWNINGBLUE'S 2010 OCTOBER HORROR MOVIE WATCHING

Bold = first time viewing. Rating out of 10.

October
    The Monster Squad (1987) 9/10
    Night of the Creeps (1986) 7.5/10
    Are You Afraid of the Dark S:1 - The Tale of the Twisted Claw (1992) 7/10
    The Office S:2 - Halloween (2005) 7/10
    The Dark (1979) 6.5/10
    C.H.U.D. (1984) 8/10
    REC (2007) 8.5/10
    Pieces (1982) 7.5/10
    The Being (1983) 6/10
    Burial Ground: The Nights of Terror (1980) 7/10
    One Dark Night (1983) 7/10
    Girls Nite Out (1984) 8/10
    Home Improvement S:2 - Haunting of Taylor House (1992) 8/10
    Groovie Goolies S:1 - 1-2-3 (1970) 5/10
    Howling 2: Your Sister Is a Werewolf (1985) 7.5/10
    The Wolfman (2010) 8/10
    Howling 3: The Marsupials (1987) 3.5/10
    An American Werewolf in London (1981) 9/10
    Harper's Island S:1 - Whap (2009) 6/10
    Home Improvement S:3 - Crazy for You (1993) 8.5/10
    Slumber Party Massacre (1982) 7.5/10
    Slumber Party Massacre 2 (1987) 7/10
    Reeker (2005) 7/10
    Village of the Damned (1960) 7.5/10
    Children of the Damned (1963) 6/10
    Village of the Damned (1995) 7/10
    It's Alive! (1974) 8/10
    Jack Brooks: Monster Slayer (2007) 6.5/10
    Slumber Party Massacre 3 (1990) 7/10
    It's Alive 2: It Lives Again (1978) 6/10
    Harper's Island S:1 - Crackle (2009) 7/10
    It's Alive 3: Island of the Alive (1987) 6/10
    The Horror of Dracula (1958) 8.5/10
    The Curse of Frankenstein (1957) 8/10
    Home Improvement S:4 - Borland Ambition (1994) 6/10
    Home Improvement S:5 - Let Them Eat Cake (1995) 6/10
    Home Improvement S:6 - I Was a Teenage Taylor (1996) 7.5/10
    Home Improvement S:8 - Bewitched (1998) 8/10
    Roseanne S:1 - Boo! (1989) 9/10
    Roseanne S:2 - Trick or Treat (1990) 8.5/10
    Roseanne S:3 - Trick Me Up, Trick Me Down (1991) 8/10
    Night of the Demons (2009) 7.5/10
    Midnight Movie (2008) 7/10
    The Mummy (1959) 7.5/10
    Roseanne S:4 - Halloween IV (1992) 7.5/10
    It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown (1966) 6/10
    The Curse of the Werewolf (1961) 7/10
    Halloween (1978) 9.5/10
    Halloween 2 (1981) 8/10
    The Willies (1991) 6/10
    Roseanne S:5 - Halloween V (1993) 7/10

The Willies (1991) - This was a really weird one. I have no clue who the audience for this movie was, as the stories were a little childish, but way too graphic and offensive for young kids. The set up was also strange, having two short stories (Only a min. or two a piece) and two longer stories. It was all fun though, and really surprising the way the stories went, especially the dog in the microwave! And how weird was that fat kid in the last story!?

Roseanne S:5 - Halloween V (1993) - This was a fun episode about Dan not wanting to pull a prank on Nancy because he doesn't like her, and Darlene and David spending Halloween apart. I love this show and how it celebrates pranks on Halloween, and this episode was no different.

15. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Oct 1
    Race With the Devil (1975)

Oct 2
    Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part 2 (1986)

Oct 4
    Night of the Creeps (1986)

Oct 5
    Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)

Oct 6
    Return of the Living Dead (1985)

Oct 8
    Revenge of Frankenstein (1958)
    Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed (1969)

Oct 9
    Humanoids From the Deep (1980)

Oct 10
    Shock Waves (1977)

Oct 11
    The Haunted Palace (1963)

Oct 12
    Creepshow (1982)

Oct 13
    Dark Night of the Scarecrow (1981)

Oct 16
    Aliens (1986) in theater with actor Lance Henriksen in attendance

Oct 17
    Near Dark (1987)
    Thriller episode "The Purple Room" (1960)
    Thriller episode "The Watcher" (1960)

Oct 18
    Thriller episode "The Grim Reaper" (1961)
    Thriller episode "The Incredible Doktor Markesan (1962)

Oct 21
    Kolchak: The Night Stalker episode "The Vampire" (1974)
    Kolchak: The Night Stalker episode "The Sentry" (1975)

Oct 23
    The Paul Lynde Halloween Special (1976)
    Grindhouse (2007)
    The Car (1977)

Oct 24
    Sleepaway Camp (1983)
    Madhouse (1974)
    Tales of Terror (1962)
    The Abominable Dr. Phibes (1971)

Oct 25
    Carnival of Souls (1962)

Oct 26
    Frankenstein (1931)
    House of Dracula (1945)

Oct 27
    Nightmares & Dreamscapes episode "Battleground" (2006)

Oct 28
    Horror of Dracula (1958)

16. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

October 29th
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

71) The Beyond

72) Creepshow

73) Suspiria

17. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

October 29th:

Saw (2004)
    Saw II (2005)
    Saw III (2006)
    Saw IV (2007)
    Saw V (2008)
    Saw VI (2009)

South Park: Season 2- Episode #15- Spookyfish (1998)
    South Park: Season 3- Episode #12- Korn's Groovy Pirate Ghost Mystery (1999)
    South Park: Season 10- Episode #11- Hell On Earth 2006 (2006)
    Mad TV's Halloween Spooktacular (1998)

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  18. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

October 27th-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

October 28th-

Fixer uppers from Hell

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. joltaddict

joltaddict New Member

24 - House By The Cemetary Oct 27th

It makes me sad that now Ill never see another Fulchi zombie flick for the first time again. Unless I get alzhimers. Then I can see them all for the first time again.
    Bobs dubbing wasnt as bad as you guys made it out to be. But its far from good. The movie itself... its not Beyond or City, but its still Fulchi. :D

20. joltaddict

joltaddict New Member

Yesterday was my day off and I tried to jam it full.

25 - The Innocents
    I just cant seem to get into the classics. They seem quaint.

26 - Tales From The Crypt
    Very predictable, light on the shock. Even Cushing did nothing to interest me.

27 - The Last Resort
    After those last two I decided to go modern. Plenty of blood and boobs but not much to it.

28 - Hello Mary Lou, Prom Night 2
    This Was Fucking Awesome. Not a huge fan of the original, I think its a little overated. But this has little to nothing to do with the original. As a matter of fact I think the only horror flick this movie didnt rip off was the one its supposed to be a sequel to. Its a primarily a mash up of ANOES, The Exorcist and Carrie. They even have an homage to The Evil Dead in here. Some great set pieces, some great kills and a ridiculously over the top shower scene. And theres just some seriously creepy shit in this.

Dont think Im getting to my goal of 31 in 31 nights though. I might be able to get another in tonight but tomorrow were hosting a halloween party. That only leaves sunday to squeeze in two more.