The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread...SUCKAS!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 27, 2010.

1. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Oct. 29th: Trick 'r Treat

2. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

I still don't own this film on disc as I've been forever waiting for a Region A Blu-Ray release. I still catch it on Netflix & DVR it occassionally but I really feel like my collection is missing a key component.
    For a completely heterosexual male, I have a inexplicable love for this film and Tim Curry's performance in particular.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  3. addicted2dvd

addicted2dvd New Member

[​IMG]
    Title: Summer of Fear (AKA: Stranger in Our House)
    Year: 1978
    Director: Wes Craven
    Rating: PG-13
    Length: 98 Min.
    Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
    Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
    Subtitles: English

Stars:
    Linda Blair
    Lee Purcell
    Jeremy Slate
    Jeff McCracken
    Jeff East
    Carol Lawrence

Plot:
    From famed horror master Wes Craven comes a chilling thriller starring acclaimed actress Linda Blair!

When Rachel's cousin Julia comes to live with the family at the farm, unsettling things begin to occur. Casting an alluring spell over everyone she meets, Julia slowly lures everyone away from Rachel. Terrifying instances of the occult begin to take place, forcing Rachel to fight for survival against what is revealed to be a horrifying demonic presence!

Extras:
    Scene Access
    Audio Commentary
    Bonus Trailers
    Production Notes
    Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
    This is actually an old TV Movie. Yes I realize there is an MPAA rating above for this movie... but it is one of those rare occasions where a TV Movie put through the MPAA for an official rating at the time of it's DVD release. Another familiar face in this movie is Fran Drescher (The Nanny) who has a small part as Rachel's friend. Surprisingly she don't have that nasally voice in this that she is now so famously known for. Which makes watching her in this a little more bearable. This is actually one of the few movies I have dealing with witchcraft... at least compared to other horror sub-genres. Being a '70s TV movie there is of course no type of gore and most of the bad things that happens occur off screen. But it is a good story with characters you care about. I enjoyed this one quite a bit... I would recommend checking it out.

My Rating: 4/5

Count:
    Movie Count: 103
    TV Ep. Count: 55
    Other Count: 8

4. hulkyduck

hulkyduck Well-Known Member

october 30th

49.TRICK R TREAT (2007)
    For me the best horror anthology film ever, i loved this as much as the legendary creepshow. The mind boggles when you see the drivel passed off as horror in the cinema these days and then there is a gem of a film like this that slips under the radar. The 5 stories fit together seamlessly and the character of sam should be talked about in the same vein as other great horror icons. 5/5

50. THE MONSTER SQUAD(1987)
    A cross between the classic universal monster movies and the goonies.This has stood the test of time and is one of the few films on the list i could watch with the kids. Great fun for all 5/5

5. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

6. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

October 30th
    [​IMG][​IMG]

74) Evil Dead

75) Evil Dead 2: Dead By Dawn

7. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

October 29th-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

October 30th:

A Nightmare On Elm Street (1984)
    A Nightmare On Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge (1985)
    A Nightmare On Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors (1987)
    A Nightmare On Elm Street 4: The Dream Master (1988)
    A Nightmare On Elm Street 5: The Dream Child (unrated version) (1989)
    Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare (1991)
    Wes Craven's New Nightmare (1994)
    Freddy VS. Jason (2003)
    A Nightmare On Elm Street (2010)

Freddy's Nightmares: The Series
    Episode #1- No More Mr. Nice Guy (1988)

9. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

October 30:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Scarecrows (Wesley Williams, 1988)
    I remember when this and The Burning came out on dvd at the same time. I'd never seen either of them, but this looked much better, just based on a comparison of the covers. Wow, was I wrong. What a phenomenally lousy, boring, wasted opportunity of a movie this is. There's more atmosphere on the cover than there is in the entire picture. A movie about people trapped in the middle of nowhere with fields of living scarecrows should be scary as hell. But this movie just stinks. The scarecrow designs are decent, and the few bloody scenes are acceptable too, but the story is so uninteresting, the characters so annoying, and the direction so poor, that nothing the production design team can do can save this one. So disappointing.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  11. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Oct. 29: The Last Man On Earth
    [​IMG]
    Oct. 30 (so far):
    The Crazies (remake), It's Alive (remake)
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last Man on Earth was great. Crazies remake was very good and improved on the original, and the It's Alive remake was AWFUL. All Netflix streaming.

12. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

[​IMG]

Predators (2010)

Eight people find themselves trapped on a planet hunted by intergalactic headhunters. I quite enjoyed this. Maybe slow at times but the rest was good times. Regarding the Blu-ray, I was expecting 3-D like jungle greens but didn't get any. Ah well.
    October/Halloween score: 4/5 for including Laurence Fishburne, Predator drool, Predator dogs, flying Predator gadgets, spine-rip, decapitation, sword fight.

13. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Scared To Death (1947)

14. addicted2dvd

addicted2dvd New Member

[​IMG]
    Title: Hell Night
    Year: 1981
    Director: Tom De Simone
    Rating: R
    Length: 102 Min.
    Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
    Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Mono
    Subtitles: N/A

Stars:
    Linda Blair
    Vincent Van Patten
    Peter Barton
    Kevin Brophy
    Jenny Neumann
    Suki Goodwin

Plot:
    As an initiation rite into Alpha Sigma Rho fraternity, four pledges must spend a night in Garth Manor, twelve years to the day after the previous resident murdered his entire family. Two of the pledges, Marti (Linda Blair, The Exorcist) and Jeff (Peter Barton), ignore the rumors that the now-deserted mansion is haunted by a crazed killer, until one-by-one, members of their group mysteriously disappear. Could this be part of a fraternity prank or is a demented former tenant seeking revenge?

When their seemingly innocent rite of passage turns deadly, these college students will do anything to survive Hell Night.

Extras:
    Scene Access
    Audio Commentary
    Feature Trailers
    Production Notes

My Thoughts:
    This one I kinda have mixed feelings about. It is good for what it is... but you kinda expect more from it. It is just an average typical '80s slasher film. A bit on the low budget side. Entertaining but not overly so. This is my second inda Blair movie in a row... I always liked her for some reason. She isn't the best actress out there... and she is cute but not great looking. But there is just something there that always appealed to me. She is the only familiar face in this movie. Pretty much everyone else I have no idea who they are. A decent movie to waste a couple hours with... but nothing to get too excited about. I am not sure why they rated this movie R... really nothing in it that is all that bad. Must just be when it was rated. I would think if it was put through for rating today it would get either a PG or a PG-13 at the most.

My Rating: 3/5

Count:
    Movie Count: 104

15. addicted2dvd

addicted2dvd New Member

[​IMG]
    Title: Walled In
    Year: 2008
    Director: Gilles Paquet-Brenner
    Rating: R
    Length: 91 Min.
    Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
    Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1
    Subtitles: English

Stars:
    Timothy Allen
    Mischa Barton
    Darla Biccum
    Cameron Bright
    Eugene Clark
    Mark Claxton

Plot:
    In 1993, sixteen bodies were found entombed within the Malestrazza Building, a mysterious apartment complex built by one of the world's most renowned, yet eccentric, architects. The killer was never caught. Fifteen years later, newly graduated structural engineer Sam Walczak (Mischa Barton of THE O.C.) arrives to prepare the site for demolition. But this massive concrete crypt is not entirely empty. Its halls are lined with secrets. Its rooms are filled with fear. And behind its walls, the ultimate horror has lay waiting...until now. Cameron Bright (X-MEN: THE LAST STAND), Deborah Kara Unger (SILENT HILL) and Noam Jenkins (SAW IV) co-star in this saga of terror, torment and shocking twists based on the best-selling novel.

Extras:
    Scene Access
    Feature Trailers
    Bonus Trailers
    Featurettes

My Thoughts:
    This is one I didn't know what to expect from it. Before I bought it in a pile of used DVDs last month I never even heard of it. I watched the trailer first and it looked like it would be a decent movie. And I guess I would say it is a decent movie... but far from a great movie. It starts out as one type of movie... but turns out to be another type... which in of itself is a little disappointing. I did like Mischa Barton in this one. You wouldn't have thought she would have made a convincing demolitions expert but she pulls it off quite well. The rest of the cast felt a bit wooden and forced. Also in my opinion the story needed a bit of polishing bringing it from a best selling book to a movie. It definitely had potential... it just didn't quite pull it off.

My Rating: 2/5

Count:
    Movie Count: 105

16. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

October 30th

[​IMG]

17. bigwes15

bigwes15 Active Member

I've come down with a nasty cold for Halloween, so these will be unfortunately brief (or fortunately, for those of you weary of my ramblings!)
    41. Halloween 2
    -Obviously this one was in a tough spot having to follow the greatest horror movie ever with picking up the story on the same night with a different director. I still think it is a minor classic in its own way, though. Pleasance is great again and the hospital is an eerie setting, although I didn't think Curtis was up to par in this one......8/10.
    42. The Blair Witch Project
    -I know many here hate it, but this one never fails to give me some chills. An admirable experiment in creating tension that is still being successfully imitated in many ways today. A classic!...................10/10.
    43. Halloween 25 Years of Terror
    -This documentary probably was the final nail in the coffin of my hopes of reaching 50 flicks in October, but I had to give it and its 4 + hours of extra interviews and panel discussions a spin anyway. A lot of information here, and time well spent. It is too bad that a couple of the big names could not make it to the massive convention that most of the material is drawn from (Carpenter and Curtis most notably......I know that JC has made convention appearances in the last couple of years at least, so I don't know why he couldn't make it. Curtis, on the other hand, I have heard is mostly contemptuous of her horror fans). Good stuff overall, if you have a lot of time to kill.......7/10.
    *Well, there's no way that I'm nailing down 7 more movies today, but I will try to get a couple more in...better luck next year for me!

18. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

SAXCATZ:
    KEY: Blu-Ray; HD-DVD; DVD; Laserdisc; Streaming (Netflix, FearNet, etc); HDTV/VoD; VHS
    10/01/2010: Tombs of the Blind Dead
    10/02/2010: Deep Red
    10/03/2010: Inferno
    10/04/2010: The Omen (1976)
    10/05/2010: Beauty and the Beast
    10/06/2010: Hostel; Sleepy Hollow
    10/07/2010: The Exorcist- Director's Cut; Sole Survivor (1983)
    10/08/2010: Poltergeist; The Abominable Dr. Phibes; Burnt Offerings; Hatchet; House by the Cemetery
    10/09/2010: The Beyond; Dead Silence; Alien;The Mist;Young Frankenstein
    10/10/2010: Aliens; Dead Birds; Clawed: The Legend of Sasquatch; The Frighteners; The Amityville Horror (1979)
    10/11/2010: Two Evil Eyes (HD); Orphan
    10/12/2010: Dark Night of the Scarecrow
    10/13/2010: Frozen
    10/14/2010: Mother of Tears
    10/15/2010: Rosemary's Baby
    10/16/2010: The Mutilator; Funeral Home; Haunts; Opera (1987); Psycho (1960)
    10/17/2010: Rebecca (1940); Suspiria; Re-Animator; Bride of Re-Animator
    10/18/2010: Vacancy 2: The First Cut
    10/19/2010: Scooby Doo on Zombie Island
    10/20/2010: Let Sleeping Corpses Lie (AKA The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue)(HD)
    10/21/2010: Jeepers Creepers
    10/22/2010: The Collector; Shadow of a Doubt
    10/23/2010: Ed Wood; Rope; Deranged; Rear Window; Creature; Deep Space; Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone
    10/24/2010: Trick 'R Treat; Paranormal Activity; Halloween III; Ringu; Nightmare on Elm Street (2010) 1080p; Necessary Evil
    10/25/2010: House of the Devil
    10/26/2010: Hausu
    10/27/2010: Drag Me to Hell
    10/28/2010: Return of the Living Dead
    10/29/2010: Friday the 13th
    10/30/2010: April Fools Day; Bad Taste; Hellraiser; Friday the 13th Part 2; The Night Stalker; The Vampire (Live Theater)
    Total: 67
    Other Notables:
    Just Couldn't Finish It(Boring): The Church; Zombiethon
    Does This Even Count?(Films of questionable genre): Beauty and the Beast; Young Frankenstein; Rebecca; Scooby Doo on Zombie Island; Shadow of a Doubt; Ed Wood; Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone
    My eyes! The goggles do nothing!(Bad PQ): Burnt Offerings; Dead Birds(its VHS afterall); The Mutilator (for the ludicrously out of focus title shot & worst "black" levels I've ever seen); Haunts (appears to be a poor quality tape source); Creature

19. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Oct 1
    Race With the Devil (1975)

Oct 2
    Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part 2 (1986)

Oct 4
    Night of the Creeps (1986)

Oct 5
    Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)

Oct 6
    Return of the Living Dead (1985)

Oct 8
    Revenge of Frankenstein (1958)
    Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed (1969)

Oct 9
    Humanoids From the Deep (1980)

Oct 10
    Shock Waves (1977)

Oct 11
    The Haunted Palace (1963)

Oct 12
    Creepshow (1982)

Oct 13
    Dark Night of the Scarecrow (1981)

Oct 16
    Aliens (1986) in theater with actor Lance Henriksen in attendance

Oct 17
    Near Dark (1987)
    Thriller episode "The Purple Room" (1960)
    Thriller episode "The Watcher" (1960)

Oct 18
    Thriller episode "The Grim Reaper" (1961)
    Thriller episode "The Incredible Doktor Markesan (1962)

Oct 21
    Kolchak: The Night Stalker episode "The Vampire" (1974)
    Kolchak: The Night Stalker episode "The Sentry" (1975)

Oct 23
    The Paul Lynde Halloween Special (1976)
    Grindhouse (2007)
    The Car (1977)

Oct 24
    Sleepaway Camp (1983)
    Madhouse (1974)
    Tales of Terror (1962)
    The Abominable Dr. Phibes (1971)

Oct 25
    Carnival of Souls (1962)

Oct 26
    Frankenstein (1931)
    House of Dracula (1945)

Oct 27
    Nightmares & Dreamscapes episode "Battleground" (2006)

Oct 28
    Horror of Dracula (1958)

Oct 29
    Magic (1978)
    Psycho (1960)

20. addicted2dvd

addicted2dvd New Member

[​IMG]
    Supernatural: Season 6
    Season six will be a season of mystery and shadow. Heaven and Hell have been left in complete disarray since the apocalyptic events of season five. And now, monsters, angels and demons roam across a lawless and chaotic landscape. And so Dean Winchester, who has retired from hunting and sworn never to return, finds himself being pulled back into his old life – pulled back by none other than Sam Winchester, who has escaped from Hell. The two reunite to beat back the rising tide of creatures and demon-spawn, but they quickly realize that neither are who they used to be, their relationship isn’t what it used to be, and that nothing is what it seems.

Episode Watched:
    You Can't Handle the Truth
    Sam and Dean investigate a rash of suicides and discover that someone is invoking the Goddess of Truth to drive the victims crazy.

My Thoughts:
    Another good episode this season. I am really getting into the season long storyline. The stand alone episode storyline is good as well. It has an interesting story and just a touch of gore. The dentist chair thing was a bit on the disturbing side. But I must admit I would have done the same thing at the time. Unfortunately after the episode they had a preview of next week's episode... and they actually had a pretty big spoiler in that short preview clip. Not sure what they were thinking on that one.

My Rating: 4/5

Count:
    Movie Count: 105
    TV Ep. Count: 56