The best and worst of Blu-Ray quality

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by bigdaddyhorse, Aug 27, 2009.

1. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

district 9 blu-ray = amazing

2. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    GOOD! I just picked it up.

3. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Black Christmas wasn't so hot, but it's the best it's ever looked, so I was satisfied.

4. HellRazor

HellRazor New Member

DEAD AND BURIED on Blu wasn't anything to get excited about. Slightly better than the DVD. But I think its a problem with the film in general, DEAD AND BURIED was always a pretty grainy movie.

5. Shannafey

Just watched District 9 and I can also say that it was phenomenal!! Incredible picture and fantastic surround sound mix!

6. Regurgitate

Regurgitate New Member

Place "Young Guns" in the category of worst. I think that it was improperly mastered and had an interlaced source. At least that's the only thing I can attribute the bizarre stair-stepping artifacts that are exhibited throughout the movie. I've seen this on two HD-DVD's as well; Enter the Dragon and Wily Wonka & the Chocolate Factory.

7. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Do you have the earlier MPEG-2 Blu-ray of Young Guns that looked like it was a badly upconverted DVD? Lionsgate silently released it with an MPEG-4 AVC upgrade, and it actually looks pretty good.

Lionsgate are really sneaky about that. They've done it with several Blu-rays.

8. geddylee

geddylee New Member

Hellboy, Hellboy 2 and 2001 A Space Oddysey look great. Close Ecounters, A Clockwork Orange, Wrong Turn didn't look as good.

9. mkayers

mkayers Member

Whether you like the movie or not is up to you but House of 1,000 Corpses is an awesome transfer also. Can't wait to pick up The Shining.

10. Shannafey

I'm surprised there hasn't been a class action suit against companies for this. If you release something on HD-DVD or Blu Ray, it should be high def, no question about it. Or don't bother releasing it at all! These companies screw consumers enough with multiple releases, but at least those are legit releases. When you just put a film on a high def format in Standard def that is stealing from us! When companies released crappy copies on DVD it was a different story as it wasn't just a format upgrade for quality, as it was a supposedly better and longer lasting format and it was becoming the normal format for film acquisition. There were a lot of movies that were unobtainable, so to have them, even as a poor transfer was a plus. The only reason most people are buying Blu Rays is to have an upgrade of a film they enjoy, in a superior format, so when they aren't utilizing high def transfers, it isn't an upgrade and like I stated earlier, it is stealing from the consumer plain and simple!

11. SickNick89

SickNick89 Member

The Faculty is out on blu ray? Which region?

12. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Canadian release, Region A :)

13. Regurgitate

Regurgitate New Member

I have the old MPEG2 version. I guess you get what you pay for. I bought it at Wal-Mart for 9 dollars if I remember correctly. I don't think I'll be upgrading considering how it was an impulse buy due to the low price. I generally wait to read reviews for catalog titles to make sure the studio didn't take the cheap route and use an old low resolution master. Oh well, when my girlfriend and I watched the Young Guns BD she didn't notice the image quality which is all that matters because I bought it with her in mind anyway.

14. Regurgitate

Regurgitate New Member

If you want to contact a lawyer I'll bring my Young Guns BD to the court hearing! :banana:

15. Shannafey

I know what you mean! It isn't worth it, but don't you agree? It isn't like DVD, whereas it was just a new format. The only reason to release something in Blu Ray is to put it out in High Def. People aren't buying a Blu Ray player like they would a DVD player or a VHS back in the day. It isn't just a movie player, it is still a specialty player and we don't deserve movies that aren't made for the format!

16. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Wall Street is every bit as shitty as the reviews say it is. Just dull colors and no surround activity, fucking waste of HD. Maybe this movie was fucked to begin with, I can't recall ever thinking any format looked good. Good flick, horrid bd.

17. Wermode

Wermode Member

Donnie Darko looks good to me, and of course District 9 is amazing. The first one I nabbed, though, was Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue...a serious upgrade to my old AB Let Sleeping Corpses Lie.

18. Shannafey

That much of a difference?? If so, I need to grab it, since I love that film!

19. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

It's definitely a huge upgrade from the old Anchor Bay DVD transfer. It's probably not as huge of an upgrade from Blue Underground's more recent 2-DVD transfer...which was a nice upgrade from the old AB disc. I believe that both the Blue Underground DVD and Blu-ray releases were struck from the same transfer.

20. Shannafey

Awesome! I have the AB DVD, so I'll put that on my list for upgrade to Blu! I really only want to upgrade films I really like and ones that warrant the upgrade. Even if it is one of my favs, it doesn't warrant an upgrade if the transfer isn't good or if I feel they are going to come out with 20 more versions like Army of Darkness.