The Beyond (Lucio Fulci) (DVD/Blu-Ray)

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by springjack, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Funktion

Funktion Member

Thanks for the info. :)
    I'm glad that's the case.

I should have stated that my previous bad experience wasn't with Arrow, but with another company (the disc in question, an audio CD, arrived broken in pieces, since it was shipped in a card sleeve inside a simple envelope :eek2:).

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  2. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

I´ve been customer of Arrow´s releases since day one and by now I can say that Arrow is a company made for tha fans... never had a bad experience.

3. sinister

sinister Active Member

Got this Blu-ray today and watched it tonight.

It was the single layer version with the intro in black & white. I mailed Arrow a scan of my receipt from Amazon this morning and they replied quickly with a confirmation saying they'd send the corrected version out when it's available. There's no need to send them your current, flawed disc btw.

I can't remember the last time I watched this, quite a few years ago anyway, from the Anchor Bay DVD collector's tin box edition and before that from the Jap laserdisc... but I've certainly never seen it look or sound this good.

Pic quality is a bit variable but I think that's more down to the source elements than anything else. It mostly looks great (considering the age and condition of the print), especially in the brightly lit scenes, but in 2 or 3 of the murkier moments it did get quite noisy, grainy and lacking in contrast. I'm not sure how much the new, higher bitrate version will help those few shots but I wouldn't expect a huge improvement. Of course any improvement will be welcome though and there's certainly scope for it here and there.

Overall, I wasn't disappointed in this version, I was more annoyed with the b&w intro than any perceived lack of bitrate on the transfer. My screen is big enough to notice the difference between eg. an original 50GB Blu-ray disc and a 10GB MKV rip, but I'm not expecting to see that much of an improvement in the Beyond, simply due to the source material.

The transfer of the Arrow version of Phenomena I found more distracting as it seems far too bright in certain scenes, particularly during some of the night time shots which I thought looked nearly as bad as the crazy high contrast shots in the Suspiria Blu-ray.

4. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Well it's good to hear that the transfers looking good. I should be getting mine in the next week or so along with Deep Red.

5. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Well-Known Member

i did the same, sending an e-mail and receiving a positive response a day later

i'm glad they don't request the faulty disc back, maybe it will become a 'rare item' :glasses:

6. Severn

Severn Member

I got mine today as well and its the Black and White intro.

7. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

Somehow I suspect that all the discs on hand on release date are "faulty."
    I suspect that they haven't even, or just have, pressed the new discs.

8. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

But Arrow said that from the start...

The first batch that was delivered to the stores and online retailers were the fawlty discs.

When new orders are made by the stores, then the correct discs will be available.

9. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

So it's really down to how big a print run did the first version have. I'd imagine enough for all pre-orders and then a percent on top of that at least.
    The replacement discs will be rarer to begin with, but if it stays in print for a while they should catch up. I also imagine most people buying this will know something's off, either by sight or having read it online. Doubt there will be many blind buys who'll just keep the old version not knowing the intro is colored wrong, although I could see a couple/few as a new generation comes up to discover the joys of Fulci. Hell, I blindly bought the dvd tin years back. For all I knew that could've been totally fucked as I had never even heard of the film before grabbing it. :)

10. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

They were more coy than that, suggesting that some pre-orderers "may" receive the faulty disc. I imagine that they knew that all would receive the faulty disc and chose not to admit it. However, since they are being so straight forward and agreeable with their exchange program, I can easily forgive this bit of "damage control."

11. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

The official press release on the Arrow forums was this:

"Due to retail lead times some stock had been manufactured so when you get the set check the disc and if it's an old one Arrow will do a swap - by post - as has been very successfully done in the past. All you'll be doing is popping that disc only into the post so it's very simple (full details to follow)."

12. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

Exactly- "some stock" and "check the disc and if it's an old one";
    However, I suspect Arrow full well knew that all stock was "old" and doubtful that they even had any of the "new" stock to retailers before release date.
    Nontheless, I've received my copy and it contains the B&W intro and an exteremely low bitrate transfer on a BD25. However, it looks quite good overall! I will be requesting a new disc as I am fond of the golden-yellow introduction, but I am not entirely displeased with Arrow's presentation on the "old" discs.

13. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Arrow knew about the fawlty stock and that was the one that was sent to the retailers. The second stock, the right one, was ordered to be printed a few days before the release date. Arrow can´t send the right stock unless the retailers order more units. Arrow is not doing a retailer replacement, only a consumer replacement.

I know that some people, mostly the casual buyer, will never know that the first batch is fawlty unless they stumble some Internet forums and I think that regretable.

One thing for sure, as long as Arrow is producing this disc, replacements will be available to everyone. To this day they are still replacing their fawlty Martin dvd.

14. Severn

Severn Member

I emailed Arrow (following the correct procedure) on Friday and today Monday morning ot an email from them saying that they are on it. Fast and prompt in response.

15. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Got mine yesterday and fortunately I got the defective version. I'm happy because it just seems like a better deal this way seeing as how I will wind up with 2 watchable copies of disc one at no additional expense.

16. burieddeep

burieddeep Dr. Obrero

Me too...I got a fast response as well. My samsung BD player could not play the DVD disc 2, so I watched the Disc 2 extras on my PC. Overall I'm very pleased with the A/V quality, Extras and packaging contents. Very happy with my purchase.

17. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

Same exact experience I had...
    Very pleased with their service.

18. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

Got my copy of The Beyond today and had a chance to skim through. Overall, I am very pleased with the transfer with the exception of the black and white opening. I was concerned about excessive DNR after watching Arrow's Phenomena Blu-ray, which suffered from some really bad motion artifacting and "waxiness", but The Beyond looks very film-like here. The transfer is brighter than Anchor Bay's DVD as has been reported, but I did not find it distracting. I'll be Emailing Arrow for a corrected disc tomorrow. This should be a great package once the issue with the intro is worked out.

19. BlackAndBlu81

BlackAndBlu81 New Member

Two weeks and still no reply about my replacement disc. Im starting to get worried about it.

20. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Send them another mail... On the Arrow forum the users feedback for an answer by Arrow is 4 days max.