The Beyond (Lucio Fulci) (DVD/Blu-Ray)

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by springjack, Dec 28, 2010.

1. dvdfan

dvdfan Member

I got my disc on Wednesday, sent an email that night and received a reply the next morning.

2. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

I too sent them an email last night, and had a reply this morning.

3. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

The Blu-ray also has at least one instance where the audio goes out of sync. It would be nice if this issue was addressed as well, but I have no idea if it was caught in time.

4. blu

blu New Member

Oh boy. Just what we didn't need, another thing to be concerned with. I hope to God Arrow discovered this too but I have my doubts since I haven't read anything about it previously.

5. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

According to Arrow they are on the final stages of mastering the correct disc.

Drop them a line on their forum but be precise where the sych error is...
    http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/beyond/

6. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

The sync error that I noticed occurs at about 21:12 where Martha calls out for Joe in the basement. The music cue and the line "Joe" come in a couple of seconds too early. Please note that I have only skimmed through the disc so I only noticed the issue in this one spot, but there's a post on AV Maniacs saying that this happens several times. There is also the issue with the repeated frames during the eye gouging, but I doubt I would have noticed that if someone hadn't pointed it out beforehand. Overall, I think this is a very nice transfer and a great package so hopefully these errors can be worked out. I also posted this info on Cult Labs, but like I said I don't know if it was discovered before the new discs went into production.

7. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

OK... I think Arrow is getting slappy in their recent history...

First was this big "error" with "The Beyond", then their future release of "The Bird With The Crystal Plumage" in 2.10, and now we go back to "The Beyond"...

Today on the Arrow forum, one moderator posted this news regarding the replacement program, after some users complain that the time given by Arrow has passed:

"Right, this is how things currently stand with the replacement discs. The discs went into production earlier this week but, at the moment, we don't have a firm date as to when they will be finished and ready.

I hope to be in a position to give you some more definitive news – including a date – shortly but just wanted to keep you all informed."

After that, a user asked if the delay was because of the synch issue being fixed.

The reply by two moderators was this:

"What sound sync issue?"

"I have no information about any synchronisation error -- I didn't notice one myself.

As for the two statements, the wording was perhaps not quite right as there is a difference between in production (i.e. being checked and changed slightly and then actually being 'produced' as in being authored and the discs actually be made.

As I said, there isn't really much to report at the moment but I shall let you know when the discs are hot off the press and being shipped out."

Another user confronted the moderator who said he had no information about this synch issue with the following:

"The synch issue was reported on the "technical debate" forum on the 26th of March and you were informed in this issue because you replyed to this message on the 31st of March saying:

"I didn't notice that synchronisation error, but I'll have another look and see what is on my check disc."

Besides that, you didn´t reply no more."

Looks like we will have the replacement disc rather later, but it seems we will have to live with the synch issues. We are waiting for a reply on Arrow´s part.

8. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

I've noticed no significant synch error and I'm quite suspectible to this...
    I wish everone would quit bitching and just be happy we're getting a replacement at all.

9. BlackAndBlu81

BlackAndBlu81 New Member

Yeah,bitching is just gonna cause further delays.

10. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

You may call it bitching but for some people this is something that´s not acceptable considering this movie had no "problems" like this before...

11. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

Garauntee that it had "problems" like this before.
    However, no one was so familiar with it before the AB & Grindhouse DVD releases. I would wager that the AB & Grindhouse DVDs are not 100% accurate to the original film, but its difficult to nitpick when you haven't seen the film in nearly 20 years. However, it is quite easy to nitpick a new DVD/BD release by comparing it to another one that you can drop into the player back to back.

12. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Are you guys sure they can even be construed as sync issues? You have to remember that dialogue in these films was recorded after everything was filmed, as the Italian actors spoke Italian and the British/American actors spoke English. So technically, neither the English or Italian tracks will sync up 100% all the time.

~Matt

13. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Arrow is currently sendind the replacements DVDs and some users have already received.

There´s no word when the replacement blu-ray will ship.

14. Eddyw78

Eddyw78 Member

Yeah, I'm still wiating for the replacement Blu Ray. Havent heard anything from them since last month.

15. Stige

Stige Well-Known Member

still haven't received my first blu ray of this title ( NOT Arrow's fault but the mails fault) a replacement has been sent so here's hoping.

Just a question, even though the bit rate is lower and the opening isn't correct, isn't the bluray of this the best presentation of the movie so far released?

16. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Some say yes... some say no.

When I heard about the low bitrate, I bought this on DVD just for the extras.
    When a review of the correct disc surfaces, then I´ll think again about the blu-ray.

17. blu

blu New Member

18. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

My replacement dvd arrived today.:rolleyes:

19. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

That is what I've always chalked it up to.

20. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

Laura at Arrow confirmed for me that they will be shipping this week.