The Blair Witch Project 10 year Anniversary!

Discussion in 'General' started by Ash28M, Jul 20, 2009.

1. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Wow. Would this be the first time we've ever been on the same page about a movie? ;)

Not me. I remember staying up real late past 4AM reading all about Blair Witch on its website. Then my sister went opening night and said it was great. I remember it all vividly because she came home from downtown but locked herself out so she threw rocks at my window and woke me up. There were reports of people getting sick in theaters because of the camera work, which intrigued me even more because I like hand held camera work.

Then I watched the movie, and within the first 5 minutes I knew I wouldn't like it. Then every frame that ticked by confirmed that feeling even more until the the final reel rolled through and I thought, "wow that sucked." I wasn't expecting to be scared, but giving me something to work with! Funny thing is that everyone I was with felt just as disappointed. So it's a bit of a mystery to me.

2. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I understand for some people this movie just for whatever reason doesnt do it for them, but it will go down as a classic and scares the sh&t out of me everytime I watch it. Love thinking about it when I go camping with friends. This will always be a fave of mine. I still think most (not all but most) of the people that didnt like it had heard too much hype about it before they saw it and expected some blockbuster or continuous scares and it isnt that type of movie. Or they simply watched it in the wrong setting which can easily ruin the film. If I had watched it with the lights on with some rowdy friends talking during it, the movie would have lost all its power. There is no wrong or right when someone likes or dislikes a flick (well usually not lol ) but there is no denying what this film accomplished on about no budget and that truly shows what they did was something special.

3. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

I'd venture to say it was the first and ONLY time viral marketing for a film was successful. Anyone care to disagree?

4. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

Pretty much agree--although SNAKES ON A PLANE came pretty close. The viral marketing had everyone talking (and laughing) but I don't think it performed so well after the first weekend.

5. opterasis

opterasis Guest

It did decent with Cloverfield IMO.

6. Fistfuck

Yeah, Snakes on a Plane is a case where the marketing itself was more successful than the film. I wonder if the rapidly advancing online lifestyle and growing cynicism of its culture caused the marketing to be more of an event than going to the theater. Though, if I remember correctly, the buzz was almost entirely the product OF the Internet community. Whereas with BWP, it was a gimmick of the filmmakers and actually an extension of the BWP story, and took place while the general population was still becoming saavy with being online.

Did Cloverfield have viral marketing? I honestly can't remember.

7. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I apologize if this already been posted, but here's some info about the sequel.

"Over at the BBC News, he says, "Ideally, each Blair Witch film would be a completely different kind of movie. We've thought about doing a film that takes place in the late 1700s and looks like a [Stanley] Kubrick movie with gritty looking people and lighting. But now, we're thinking about going back and and seeing what happened directly after the first film finished. I think it will have some kind of video element in it, but it won't be a first person hand-held movie.""

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/topnews.php?id=11394

8. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Well, the marketing only stumbled upon the internet with Snakes on a Plane. They were even going to change the title at several different points. The producers didn't even really "get it" as can be seen in this blog by a writer who pitched to be on it.

They did go back to do re-shoots making it an R instead of a PG-13, which is huge. Very unHollywood. I was disappointed more horror fans didn't come out to support that. We have threads upon threads decrying PG-13, and then when Hollywood actually bumps it up a notch the film is met with indifference or even mockery. (When a film is already called Snakes on a Plane, what's left to mock?) They probably would have made more money with PG-13.

Anyways, that's no where close to BWP, who were the main instigators of the entire hype. Making those TV mockumentaries and indepth website. New Line didn't do anything remotely that involving. The EW cover with Jackson and some snakes was about as much as New Line did for it on their own. The Dark Knight would be a good example though.

9. FilmFiend

FilmFiend New Member

Blair Witch is a terrible movie to watch on a drive-in screen. I remember when it came out everybody at work (even the manager nobody liked) said do not go see it. See anything but Blair Witch. It makes no sense. It's horrible!!! You will ask for your money back. I went and tortured myself anyway. I think Lake Placid was the second feature. Betty White's swearing was more scary than the entire BW movie! :rolleyes:

10. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

How did it make no sense?

11. FilmFiend

FilmFiend New Member

I don't know. I guess the people at work didn't understand it because they probably weren't even horror fans anyway. I mean I understood what was going on and everything. I guess it was the docu-style feel of the movie they didn't like. And everybody talked about the "awful" ending.

The movie did look weird on a drive -in screen. There would be a tiny little window in some scenes right in the middle of a huge drive-in screen.

I can see why the movie has a big cult following and everything. I only saw it once during it's original release, and I admit got tired of all of the "must see" hype and reviews.

Maybe since it is 10 years later should I revisit it and see what I might've missed the first time around?? My library has an old VHS of it.

12. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Yes give if another shot. Watch it alone at night and let yourself be immersed in it.

13. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

There's a great retrospective in the new issue of Horrorhound, with Nightbreed on the cover.

14. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

The Blu-Ray is $9.99 at BestBuy right now. Couldn't resist :)

15. 3invertednines

3invertednines New Member

I'm adding this to my October movie list and I'm gonna watch it just like that. I haven't seen it for years.

16. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Still Looooove this movie- first time I watched it was alone in the dark and it freaked me out- I know there is a lot of love/hate for this movie and I still love it to this day

17. Fistfuck

$250m is a pretty fucking big cult.

18. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Here is good making of video I came across on Youtube. They seem to have allot of these features out on the web. How tough would it have been to have included them on the Blu-ray?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98pX4TeihLY

19. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Cool man. I've been meaning to revisit Burkittsville since I heard they might do a sequel. Maybe this weekend :)

20. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

Okay, I'm about to eat some serious crow here: I just watched this for the first time since the theater. I suppose that the major hype that surrounded it at the time kind of dampened my experience, because my reaction wasn't entirely favorable.
    I kind of love it now. Maybe it's better to watch this on a computer screen by yourself rather than with an audience in a theater--how many films can you say THAT about??? Even though I had seen it before it still managed to provide some major chills, I was able to appreciate it more this time around. It's really very impressive, what they were able to create without effects or much of a budget.
    I am now watching "The Curse of the Blair Witch" for the first time. Wow. They really went all-out to make the experience seem real!
    I take back all of the negative shit I've spewed about this film.