The First Horror Film you ever watched?

Discussion in 'General' started by vampyr789, Dec 30, 2008.

1. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I was introduced to horror movies at a very young age so I can't really give a specific answer. The first "monster" movie I remember seeing in a theater was KING KONG '76 when I was 2 years old. I slept through most of it. The first (what I would call) true "horror" film I can recall seeing in a theater was THE INCREDIBLE MELTING MAN when I was either 4 or 5 but I'm sure I saw plenty on TV before then on Creature Double Feature, which aired on Saturday afternoons. I doubt my parents would've taken me to the movies if they didn't know whether or not I could handle them first.

2. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

my Dad got Carrie for me for my 9th b-day. yeah..9 y.o.
    i was watching the next day, (it was at the shower scene) my dad i like what are you watching?!?!? My mom walked in, i told them it was Carrie, and my mom gave my dad the look...(why are u gettin mad at him for watching this, you bought it for him...)

3. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I don't see how Psycho and the Birds aren't horror films.

Like you said you are only 20. Many if not most people on here are quite a bit older then you and have gone through stages in their enjoyment of horror films. I know I loved horror when I was a kid and didn't really watch much in high school. The possible reason was that I it was the 90's and the genre was at it's lowest point IMO. It wasn't really until I saw The Blair Witch Project in '99 (I was 24 then) that I got the urge to go back and watch everything I had missed. Now I enjoy horror maybe more then I did when I was a kid. Possibly you just need the right film to come along to get you excited about it again.

What school do go to that has horror course. Is it in the Toronto area?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  4. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Matt

Psycho is not a horror film simply for the fact that it's not focused as much on the murders as it is on the true identity of the killer. Sure people are murdered, but that doesn't make it horror. Someone is murdered in Hitchcock's Rope, but that's not a horror film either. Psycho plays off more as a murder-mystery, more like a detective film rather than a horror film.

The Birds doesn't classify as horror because it too, is all about the mystery of the birds. Why they attack. Sure there are horror elements in both films, but they're definitely not horror. Psycho is a psychological suspense thriller, and The Birds is much the same, a mystery-suspense thriller. The Birds comes closer to horror than Psycho does, but neither are horror films. It's...Hitchcock, it's not horror.

I know that sounds weird, but Hitchcock is one of few those directors that had so much developed his own style that it's not horror, it's Hitchcock. Much like a Shakespearean play. His plays aren't written in English, they're written in Shakespeare. He developed his own VERY distinct style.

~Matt

5. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yeah I totally see what you mean by that. Right now anyway, I'm on a horror hiatus. I have no desire to see anything new, because my interests at the moment lie elsewhere. I'm more inclined to discover films "other" than horror at the moment. Sure it may come back, it might not. But yeah I totally get what you're saying.

~Matt

6. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Mystery can play a large part as an aspect of a horror film. I don't consider Rope to be horror but I do Psycho and The Birds. They feel different to me and have enough horror elements and play of your fears to be classified as such. I guess I really don't want to get in a discussion on what defines horror as that discussion never comes to a conclusion and I got to go out in 5 minutes:)

7. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Haha, yeah.

It's kindof fucked, though. I remember reading somewhere that the fact Hitchcock directed both films disqualifies these movies as horror. Because he brought to it his own distinct directorial style, these movies aren't considered horror. The mystery aspect in both films overpowers the horror elements, anyway. But had anybody else made them based on their plot descriptions, they'd be full-out horror movies.

~Matt

8. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

My first at the theatre was Ghost Story the John Irvin film based on the Peter Straub book. It scared me and excited me at the same time. Then I got Pay TV and there was just so much horror that I got hooked. Poltergeist, Psycho II, The Shining, Rabid, and An American Werewolf in London were among the first.

9. pdw

pdw New Member

If we're classifieng King Kong as horror, then that was most likely the first one I saw. And I mean the '30's version, with Fay Wray. Though, I did see the Jessica Lange version in theater when it came out....
    But purely horror...?

10. NaturesMistake

NaturesMistake Active Member

First horror movie : A Nightmare on Elmstreet

The film had a profound effect on me. The fantastical elements really opened many doorways in my imagination. I wasn't scared of it, but I thought it was really, really cool. It made me a horror fan for life...

... and I was just a three year old boy who happened to catch it on action 36 on a late Sunday afternoon.

First one seen in theaters was Carnosaur.

Lol: I was at the drive-in with my family. I was just a little guy, but I remember my dad making fun of it. That flick and it's sequels are still guilty pleasures.

11. dcrw6

dcrw6 New Member

I was about four when my mom rented Aliens. For a kid who until that point had only known Rainbow Brite and the like, it was a fucking psychotic trip through hell.

12. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I can't pinpoint it to one, but there are a few that I remember came on this thing that UPN did during the day on like Saturday and Sunday called "Creature Feature." They included Friday the 13th: the Final Chapter, A Nightmare on Elm St. 4, Creepshow 2, and I believe Ghoulies 2. They were among the first horror flicks I saw, albeit in ridiculously edited versions. After that I started renting them every weekend and building up quite an impressive VHS collection for a kid in elementary school. TNT's Monstervision also helped.

13. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

Woah - I had totally forgotten about Creature Double Feature! It was a great afternoon of Godzilla, Frankenstein, Wolfman, Dracula, Creature from the Black Lagoon, etc.

Are you from the Boston area too? (or was it a nationwide show?)

I loved all the movies that they put on, but don't think I was ever scared by them, just always found them fun and entertaining. One that I remember seeing as a kid that I sought out recently was Attack of the Mushroom People (still enjoyed it) - and have been waiting for a good DVD release of The Incredible Shrinking Man (another favorite - the spider in the basement was great!)

14. Ecstatica

Ecstatica Member

Oh I remember my first horror movie because it kind of change my life. I was 7 and it was playing on TV on Halloween night. I have still not found what the movie was ( some Dracula movie ), but I remember the atmosphere. It was dark and creepy. It changed my mood to something I had never experience before and I loved it. The next day, I ask my father to rent me a horror movie and he came back with Evil Dead. After this one, I was hooked and watched every horror movies I could get my hand on.

( sorry for my poor English )

15. lakini71

lakini71 New Member

I can't exactly pinpoint the very first horror film I ever saw, since I grew up on them beginning at an early age. The first one I remember, however, was The Evil.

I was asleep in bed, and my parents were watching it downstairs; apparently the volume was turned up, and the noises woke me up. I remember being freaked out by the sound of people screaming, and I asked my mother the next morning what she was watching. She told me, I watched it the next time it aired on HBO, and it was a terrifying experience for me.

And so began my obsession with horror films...

16. snowbeast323

snowbeast323 New Member

Oh....I remember this one well....

My first horror film was Scream in December 1996
    I was only three years old at the time

17. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Wow. For the first time in my six years on this board, I kind of feel old.

Welcome to the boards Snowbeast!

18. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Shit.

I just had this thought of moving. To a grave.

19. MadmanMarz

MadmanMarz Member

Magic (1978) comes to mind. As a kid I was terrified by the previews, even the newsprint ads. Yet I still begged my parents to take me to the drive-in to see it.
    Being a kid I don't believe the previews delivered the fright I was looking for but that puppet was damn scary.

20. MadmanMarz

MadmanMarz Member

Magic (1978) comes to mind. As a kid I was terrified by the previews, even the newsprint ads. Yet I still begged my parents to take me to the drive-in to see it.
    That long ago I don't believe the previews delivered the fright I was looking for, but that puppet was damn scary.