The french say "f*ck you hellywood

Discussion in 'General' started by Ash28M, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Hey maybe these guys won't go the Aja sell out route.

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/17080

Original article.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125019614070830153.html

2. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

can't blame them, who the hell wants to do a remake?

3. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

John Carpenter, David Cronenberg, Tom Savini. :p Just busting your chops.

I get what they're saying. I guess they have different priorities over there. Yeah you might get paid a shit ton to do a certain script, but in the end are you really proud of it?

4. BoredSeal

BoredSeal New Member

Hellraiser remake/reimagination (whatever Clive Barker calls it) under Weinstein brothers was silly idea from the start, idea of Buena Vista as producer would be little bit more silly ;). No wonder Bustillo/Maury felt sick. I guess they all talk about Hellraiser remake, because Laughier was second option ;)

5. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

Good for them - the French are doing so much better than Hollywood these days when it comes to horror. Who needs more watered-down PG-13 remake bullshit? I would rather have more films like Inside, Martyrs, Vinyan, etc.

6. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

It disappoints me that Aja doesn't have the same mindset. But that's his business, I guess.

7. Jeremy

Jeremy Closet SCREAM fan

Spoken like men who don't have to worry about paying for health insurance. :D

8. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

There's a totally different health-care system in Europe man. Especially France and Greece. You'd be amazed.

9. Jeremy

Jeremy Closet SCREAM fan

I'm well aware that there's a totally different healthcare system in Europe, hence the basis of my quip. A lot of Americans, when faced with the prospect a well-paying job that they don't agree with or don't want to do (not necessarily directing ANOES remake, but you know what I mean) would do it anyways either for the insurance or because of the money because they have no safety net. I was just joking that as Frenchmen these guys don't have to worry about that in the same way.

10. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Good for them! The majority of recent good horror movies have come from France, so I'm glad they aren't interested in selling out and going the American way of remakes upon remakes. Bring on the original French horror!

11. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Didn't get that - sorry mate.

12. Slackjaw83

Slackjaw83 Lonely St. Tattooer

It's easy for us to say "Good for them! Fuck the system!". It's also easy for them to say "Yeah we turned down this and that". That said, who knows what they were actually asked to do and who knows how much money was being spoken about. Would more money or a little more control have changed their minds? Who knows?

In any case, movies, in general, are as much a business as an artform. Sure, one wants to "express oneself" and make movies that are great, but, on the other hand, people have to eat. I have as much respect for a guy like Jeff Burr for simply consistently working as a "working director", making modest budgeted fliks and getting paid as I do any of the indie "visionaries" out there.

As I've mentioned before, I'm not the keenest on the Elm Street remake, but if it was offered to me, I'd take it for a few reasons :

1. It's a solid payday (to quote one Ted Dibiase : "Everyone's got a price") and I have a family to feed
    2. It's a pretty high profile gig and will get my name out there
    3. If I'M the one doing it, i can do everything in my power to convince the producers and execs involved NOT to make a shitty waste of celluloid.

As much as we bitch and gripe about it, obviously we're the minority because these remake movies ARE making money and doing great business, hence why more get released every year. It's basic business, and they don't call it "The Film Business" for nothing.

13. Mitbox

Mitbox Member

Damn...that doesn't sound good for ANOES remake. Not that I was expecting something good out of it anyways.

14. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Hey I applaud them. The way I look at it is they are talented directors and everyone knows it. They may not get supper rich without the big pay day but they will still be rich enough to feed their families any have all the luxuries they want in life. They are not saying they won't do Hollywood they just don't want to sell out for the sake of it. When it's all said and done and you look back at your career would you rather be a Michael Bay or a David Cronenberg? Cronenberg was offered Top Gun and Flashdance and he still doesn't regret turning them down.

Saying that if Hollywood throws enough money at them things may change quickly. For now though I like there attitude and it could only mean better films for us.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  15. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

I think the problem with this is that you may have no power whatsoever to convince them otherwise. If a studio or producer has "final cut" on a film, the director may be out of luck. And then the risk is that your name is attached to the POS movie, and you deal with the backlash and negativity, not the nameless suit who messed it up. (One exception may be the Harvey Weinstein, who at least has his name out there, for better and worse cases).

I understand what you're trying to say, but whether or not that is possible or desirable may depend on some unknowns (to us, hopefully any director would know up front how much control they would have in the end).

Personally, if I were a director I would have a very difficult time with studio execs/producers making changes (I hope I'd be open to feedback/criticism). (this is based on having written a fair number of papers collaboratively - I have no idea if directing/creating a movie is the same as writing, but I'd be surprised if it were too different)

16. rhett

rhett Administrator

Because INSIDE was such a quality script compared to crap that Hollywood's been putting out like DISTRICT 9, DRAG ME TO HELL, MY BLOODY VALENTINE 3-D, and LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT (2009)...nice to see pretension doesn't just die in the arthouse.

17. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

:confused:

(I get the sarcasm, but not the part about arthouse pretension)

18. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

I love Inside but I will agree that both District 9 (love that film) and Drag Me to Hell are better films. But, you lost me with My Bloody Valentine 3-D and, especially, The Last House on the Left remake. MBV 3-D is entertaining but the script is pretty much shit, especially the cliched ending, which almost ruins the entire film. And, this is coming from a guy that thinks Todd Farmer's script for Jason X is brilliant. And, I just don't get any of the love for the LHotL remake. It had its moments but I just couldn't get into the film as a whole. And, like MBV 3-D, the ending is terrible.

19. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

:lol: Burn!

20. rhett

rhett Administrator

These guys are acting like the movies they are making outside of the system in France are layered with strong, deep scripts. I think HIGH TENSION is probably the best horror film post-BLAIR WITCH, but sorry, French genre films certainly aren't on the map because of their prose. Had this been Robert Bresson, Eric Rohmer or Jean-Luc Godard bemoaning the vapidity of the Hollywood script then okay...but Alexandre Bustillo? Yeah, whatever dude.