The Hills Have Eyes 2 (plus HHE 1 and Hostel)

Discussion in 'General' started by gfanikf, Mar 23, 2007.

1. gfanikf

gfanikf Guest

Now I've been ignoring the current cycle of murder rape torture films for the last 4-5 years, but I have to say this one looks interesting. The entire cut off troops facing mutants has a nice predator vibe to it. I don't want somethnig that is a non stop tortue fest or such but I wouldn't mind a nice action horror film with mutants. I enjoyed Wrong Turn and Dog Soliders but throughly detested Descent.

Somewhat realated I'm actually interested in maybe seening Hostel. I was under the impression that it had some uber pessamistic ending (guy escapes and misses the train and rescue ala from what I've read about all the SAW films, that crap drives me nuts). From the summary I read it seems like it has a nice "thirst for vengence" during the last third of the movie. Would you say thats the case? Heck I might even give HHE 1 a shot but I'm remeber not wanting to see it after the director made some allegory about it being about the govt lying or something that and something I heard about it being filled with rape and such. I mean you didn't make Godzilla here (plus Ishiro Honda did it 50 yrs plus ago smile.gif). Still at leasts its mutants (which qualifies as a monster for me as opposed to SAW, Turistas, etc)! So what are your opinions on HHE 2 and If I might like HHE 1 and Hostel?

2. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

I will tell you about HHE 2 tomorrow as it only opens tomorrow.

3. gfanikf

gfanikf Guest

My plan is to catch a matinee before work. It stinks I have to see it myself, but I figure I'm not going to force my fiancee to see it. She does have to Grindhouse and ATHF (and has seen TCM, FvJ, etc), so I guess its only fair. Its just going to be weird going to a movie by myself (last time I think was for EP1 lol).

4. Nightbreed

Nightbreed New Member

going tommrow morning should be fun

5. gfanikf

gfanikf Guest

Ditto 12:35 is the earliest matinee I can find. I figure before I have to deal with guests at the hotel I need some mutant vs National Guard action.

6. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    You know...I've not been following the plot of this sequel. I just presumed it would be a remake of Hills 2 which had a promising story. At least this one is an original story. Hmmmm - thinking of checking it out.

7. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Yeah, let us know if we hafta see the first HHE remake before this one. The first doesn't interest me, but for some reason, this one does. Thanks.

8. ReelFear

ReelFear New Member

THE HILLS HAVE EYES 2.
    not the worst movie ever, but lacking the style and suspense of the first remake. theres some good, brutal gore, but the plot is as generic as it comes. Think Aliens meets the Texas Chainsaw Massacre. there's really not much to say about this sequel. it's here, it exists, but horror fans are certainly not going to be blown away. I'll be generous and give it a 4 out of 10.

9. Wermode

Wermode Member

Think of the tired stereotype of smack-talking military, except coming from the world's worst soldiers. Painfully bad dialogue, shallow characters, and awful effects, including CG. I felt none of the tension or brutality of the last film this time because the protagonists aren't likeable or even close to feeling real. The mutants have no personality, and randomly switch back and forth between being stealthy geniouses to being clumsy, lumbering idiots that you could kill with a rock.

A point that studios still have not grasped: horror (including gore) is totally ineffective if you don't believe what you're seeing is real--on some level--and happening to people you care about. I saw Dead Slence yesterday, and despite all the flaws, I somehow still enjoyed the film because the right horror elements were there. I'm willing to put up with a fair amount of cheese if there's a gory payoff, but THHE II was just awful.

10. gfanikf

gfanikf Guest

Well I saw the HHE 2 today and like it. Fun, Stupid entertainment . It was like a crapper version of Aliens and Predator 1 but with mutants and on that level it worked for me. Not great but it was a fun thing to do before going to work The gore was nicely done and thankfully the rape scene wasn't to OTT. People commmented that it wasn't as effective as the first one. I can't comment on that (as I haven't seen the first one) but I don't doubt it. It came off as more of an action horror than pure horror. I don't remeber be freaked or grossed out during it at all save for a jump scare. I think its more like the National Guard starring in Wrong Turn. Still not a bad way to spend 7 bucks at a matinee.

SPOLIERS
    Wermode- you dont think the sledgehammer and rock beatings were at least cool or picking ones brain?

OT 28 Weeks Later looks great (then again the Muse song rocked too :))

11. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

Crap... complete crap... it was nice to see the baby from TCM : The Beginning making a cameo though... but CRAP!!!

12. gfanikf

gfanikf Guest

I thought it was the one from the Dawn of the Dead remake. Now that scene was so pointless. So no one was able to enjoy it like I did?

13. Nightbreed

Nightbreed New Member

some good gore but other than that i would say nothing to get too excited about

14. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

Where is that damned flashback having dog when you need him? This movie sucked.

15. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

I hated the Hills Have Eyes remake the first time I saw it. I watched it again and thought it was OK though. Definitely worth checking out. There are a ton more movies further down the list that I would chalk up as a bigger waste of time. I wish I could be more eloquent but I'm drunk. Word.

16. Paul0889

Paul0889 New Member

i saw this today. not quite as bad as i was expecting. overall i'd give it a 6/10. it wasn't nearly as good nor brutal as the '06 remake. a lot of the dialogue is REALLY stupid and i mean stupid, i can't believe craven wrote some of this shit. the mutants also really pissed me off, none of them were memorable, i don't even think they had names in the movie, they had stupid lines, and none of them looked human whereas they did in aja's remake, which made them somewhat scary. they were more like monsters here. the overall tone of the movie didn't seem as serious to me either, it played out more like an action movie with gore. speaking of gore, there were some great moments here and there, but nothing quite as nasty as the remake, although a lot looked edited since they cut away and it all happened really fast. the actors themselves did alright with what they were given, but i don't buy for a second that any of them were part of the national guard, they made stupid decisions repeatedly, like leave their guns lying around when they were complaining two second earlier that their weapons are getting taken by the mutants. don't even get me started about the ending i couldn't believe it. it pissed me off beyond belief. overall it was an okay movie, i'd wait till it hits dvd if u haven't already seen it cos i'm sure there will be an unrated version.

17. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

Well, I've just watched it. It doesn't do much more than sit like a lump on the screen. A few fucked up moments here or there... I was taken in by some of it... But I don't remember any of the characters names, I don't remember half the film now that I think of it.

18. shift

shift Hot as shit!

oh man,,, maybe a dvd rental is what this deserves

19. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Yeah, I could care less about of the characters and don't remember much either. Plus I kept wanting to check my watch, never a good sign and even worse when it happens multiple times during a 90 minute flick.

I'll probably give the unrated dvd a chance since some things take a second viewing to get into. This happened again with Turistas which I kinda liked last night. I don't think it had anything to do with being unrated as I didn't notice much different except for some enjoyment on my part.:)

20. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Absolute shit. I forgave it about six times right off the beginning, telling myself, "ok, it's a b-movie, just relax..." Then there was a gratuitous rape scene and I signed-off. There were no moments of glorious vengeance that made the first one so awesome - they tried but it came off terribly forced.

3/10 - some decent kills here and there.
    Hills Have Eyes 2 (original) > Hills Have Eyes 2 '07 :p