The Mutilator from Arrow Video arrives this September.

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Paul_s, Jun 10, 2015.

1. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

The pre-0rder price for this on Amazon.co.uk is 10.83 pounds. Much less than Amazon here in the U.S. even with the shipping factored in.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  2. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Lol. Amazon.com sucks now. They treat most of their customers like fools that forgot how to shop around. Unfortunately, they're probably right.

Go to bullmoose.com. They have it up for preorder at a much more reasonable $24.97, NOT $35.96.

3. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I got it for 22 on Amazon as a preorder a while ago. Price keeps shifting.

4. russweiss

My preorder (which I placed today) comes out to $18.63 with shipping to the United States.

5. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Yeah, preordered mine a while back as well. Currently $22.99

6. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I went to Amazon and it was $35.96. Went to blowitouttahere and it's $24.17 (plus $1.99 shipping) so I went with them since they have great to me in the past.
    I know this will never live up to it's awesome posters, but have to try it as it's one of few slashers from the era I haven't seen. A video review someone linked on blu-ray dot com had me at "fishhook in the vagina"!

7. delicreep

delicreep Well-Known Member

The grue is definitely a highlight. Overall, though, I found the film a little boring. In all fairness, I watched it online via Youtube, and will be buying the Arrow edition to see if I feel differently.

8. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

If you enjoyed slashers like Blood Rage or House Of Death (Death Screams), then you'll probably be really happy with it.

9. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Yeah, I remember watching it in my childhood and was satisfied but not gaga over it. Still, out of nostalgia in remembering where I rented it as a kid and that they had a poster of it up on their window, I went ahead and bought the Dragon uncut dvd, anyway, years later. Actually liked it better than I remember and am looking forward to the Arrow release. It was slow-ish but did have some meaty scenes. Pretty sure you may get your moneys worth as well.

Funny how the prices play like the stock market. You have to get in at the right time.

10. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

I bought a bootleg over 6 years and loved it. It's silly shit but if you're a fan of cheesy slashers you'll enjoy it. The kills are definitely the highlight with some pretty grisly and mean spirited deaths.

11. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

The bootleg of this is pretty washed out and dark from memory so I feel like seeing it in HD will give a totally new experience.

12. 7_RaggedTiger

7_RaggedTiger Member

Being only available through an old video master for decades. Will be interesting to see if this still holds up. Watching this film completely cleaned up may prove shocking. My eyes are so used to watching this only on VHS quality. Hopefully this film will still retain the guilty viewing pleasure. But I am not sure what reaction to expect. The film always felt gritty and the whole HD transfer will wash that out.

13. Zombie Dude

Or it has the potential to make it better ;)

They had the guys that worked on Evil Dead 2 and one of the Elm Street movies doing effects for this from memory so I can't imagine them looking overly sloppy or anything in HD.

14. 7_RaggedTiger

7_RaggedTiger Member

I don't know what to think till this comes out. Hopefully it will still look somewhat gritty. I hope it doesn't look like the polished Halloween blu. I just don't find it scary anymore at all. Same with Boogeyman, Blood Rage, Exterminator and the other slashers don't look scary anymore. Boogens still looks and feels scary from all the intact gritty film grain. Sometimes polishing movies and taking out all the film grain just kills these movies. I don't want slasher movies to look like Fast and the furious crap.

15. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Can't believe how cheap this is at Amazon UK. I had the VHS tape years ago. I always liked how gruesome it is.

Also lol it has one of those really dated opening scenes (similar to how cheesy the beginning of Graduation Day is) with music that was completely and hilariously off-tone with the rest of the film. Grabbing this for sure.

~Matt

Zombie Dude likes this.
  16. Zombie Dude

I actually enjoyed Blood Rage more this time around due to it being cleaned up. I definitely disagree with your comments on Halloween as well and think it retains all its atmosphere whilst looking great. I guess I don't take much pleasure in struggling to see what's going on in a film, especially when that's not what the director intended.

17. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Depends on the movie. Like the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre, something about the old washed out VHS transfers added to the uncomfortable viewing experience...

Dobby likes this.
  18. Zombie Dude

For me I like it even more now and the cleaned up transfer has given me a new appreciation for the film.

Matt89 and Kim Bruun like this.
  19. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

That soft VHS look with colours bleeding into each other adds nothing for me. There was a time whenever it was the only option, but if I can't see and hear what's going on, I tend to find myself disengaged. I don't mind film grain or the odd damaged frame but I want my grindhouse movies to look and sound as clear as they can.

Matt89 and Zombie Dude like this.
  20. russweiss

I completely agree. Poor quality doesn't add anything "special" to my viewing experience except annoyance.

Steel76 and Zombie Dude like this.