The original "Anthology" plans for the Halloween films after "Season of the Witch"

Discussion in 'General' started by rijir, Jul 10, 2013.

1. rijir

rijir Member

For me Halloween 3 is my favorite of any of the sequels by far. Michael dies in part 2 (which to me doesn't hold a candle to part 1). So Carpenter wanted to take the series into an anthology direction with a different Halloween themed film each year. This obviously didn't happen and we got the cookie cutter sequels that people were begging for. I have always wondered if any scripts, treatments or story ideas for the "anthology" films exist. If they were going to do one each year they must have had at least the next one planned.

Does anyone have any info on this?

2. zombiehorror

zombiehorror Member

I don't believe that concept ever really got going! Carpenter intended Halloween to be the end of Michael but once the film started making bank the studios quickly saw the continuation of the shape as the future of the franchise and thusly Halloween II. Carpenter got lucky getting to do his own thing with Halloween III but by then it was to late, fans expected to see the return of Michael in a film titled Halloween III! It really is to bad that the franchise didn't go in the anthology direction and maybe have had few entries without Michael before revisiting the boogyman!

3. Shlockjock81

Shlockjock81 New Member

To my knowledge, they didn't start working on a a 4th one as they wanted to see how successful Season of the Witch was.

A lot of people forget that Season of the Witch, poorly received as it was, wasn't a flop. With a budget of $2.5m and returns of $14m, it was a success in some small way; though not successful enough to start production on another entry.

And I agree: It's definitely my favorite of the sequels.

4. thing

thing Well-Known Member

I hate the revisionist love for this subpar film. I think if it wasn't a Halloween film it would be just another weird little film from the 80's that doesn't quite work.

5. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

funny thing is. they waited till 1988 to return the shape, that's 5 years later.. Surprised they didn't do it earlier.. I personally never cared for any of the shape sequels after II, I just didn't see any reason to see him back. He kinda started to wear out his welcome by the end of Halloween II.. How much more can they say after that.. But it was a money thing and it did very well and I remember people were so excited about Michael coming back, they just didn't care..

6. thing

thing Well-Known Member

I loved part 4

7. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Me too, it might not be the perfect sequel to 'Halloween', but it is an above average slasher film.
    The franchise went south quickly after that though.

8. Dobby

Dobby Banned Mofo

Universal Pictures was behind this misguided franchise. After part 2 and 3 it's obvious they sat on the film rights until 1988. Why they waited then handed it over to CBS/FOX near the end of the decade is baffling. While I enjoyed the first 2 sequels the rest don't exist in my mind. Universal made $39 million+ then did nothing with this franchise. They should have fired off the guns and made another feature.

9. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I agree about Halloween 4. It's easily the best of the sequels with a script that's miles better than II's. If this film had a better-looking Shape and Dean Cundey behind the camera there's no question in my mind that virtually everyone would prefer it to HII. As much as I love HII it's much more of a typical slasher than a Halloween film. 4 relegated Michael back to the shadows (most of the time) and focused on a few likable characters as opposed to a stereotypical cast of idiots.

To answer the original question no other anthology-type sequels ever made it to the script stage. Carpenter and others have stated many times that HIII was perceived as a bomb. No one thought differently until the F13th and ANOES sequels kept ringing the register.

10. deepred

deepred Member

I think it was an interesting idea and am glad that American Horror Story has adopted it in its own way.

Yeah, lots of people LOVE the third one now. I watched it for the first time this last Halloween (and was even psyched to see it after hearing all the great things) and while I found the ideas and certain parts interesting and with potential, I ultimately found the execution lacking in the end and that it didn't come together in a way that left me satisfied.

11. thing

thing Well-Known Member

yeah i didnt like it as a kid and after reading so many people trying to word it up I gave it another go a few years back and really wanted to like it but nah its kind of a drawn out mess

12. HoldenMcNeil

HoldenMcNeil Member

To be honest the biggest detractor for the sequels for me is The Shape himself. I don't know what it is, but he just didn't look or move right in Part 4 and especially in Part 5. And that mask in Part 5... I think George did a better job in Part 6, but the whole magic of The Shape was already lost.

I'm totally not trolling here, and I hate Resurrection with such passion, but I think Brad Loree did the best job playing The Shape since Dick Warlock in Part 2.

13. shape22

I don't disagree with any of this. George Wilbur's (Out Of) Shape is a huge negative for H4. And Shanks is even more of an over-sized Jason clone in 4. I think it would be a lot easier to recognize the superiority of the writing in 4 if Michael looked right and the D.O.P did a better job of aping Cundey.

Michael's ridiculously altered appearance after HII is good supporting evidence for those who think all of the later sequels are cynical cash grabs. The make-up guys couldn't even be bothered to consult the earlier films.

14. deepred

deepred Member

Yeah the masks really bother me after part 2. I really only enjoy 1 and 2. I think 4 would be substantially better if he looked creepier.

15. shape22

The crazy thing about this is that the mask for 4 was again converted (poorly) from a Don Post Captain Kirk mask (likely a later version than the 75 that was converted for the original Halloween). The eye cuts are obviously way too small, the neck is way too long, and the hair and hair line are terribly done.

Anyone who doubts they used a converted Kirk should check out the schoolhouse scene near the end where Myers grabs Loomis and throws him (one of the first scenes shot for H4). You can clearly see that the mask still had blonde hair.

16. HoldenMcNeil

HoldenMcNeil Member

oh man as a kid I literally had arguments with my friend's about that scene. of course when the first dvd tin was released I had to take a screenshot and send it to my friends who argued with me all those years ago. :D

17. deepred

deepred Member

He also looks like his mask was dipped in white-out in part 4. Look at those awful lips on the mask too! I like Michael with a fuller mouth. :p

Attached Files:

• h4.jpg
      h4.jpg
      File size:
      8.4 KB
      Views:
  18. shape22

Nice! A lot of people seem to miss it even though it's extremely apparent when you're looking for it. Of course, I don't fault those who aren't as captivated by the many faces of Myers as I am. Ha.

19. deepred

deepred Member

Where did they get the pictures of Michael that they used for the posters of 4 and 5? Did they just take images of him from the previous 2 because he looks great on the posters for the films.

20. shape22

The original source of those cover images is the H4 novelization cover:

http://halloweenmovie.wikia.com/wiki/Halloween_IV_%28novelization%29

Some say that's a picture of the original hero mask, which is very possible. But to me it looks like a very skilled artist's rendition of a picture of the hero. Almost everyone agrees that the H4 and H5 poster images ARE artists' renditions of the cover image from that novelization. That theory is supported by someone who tried matching up the novelization cover image with the H4 poster image at Michael-Myers.net by laying them on top of each other. There are numerous subtle differences between the two.

Both poster images look slightly "meaner" than the hero mask from the original Halloween. And that particular look has prompted a slew of indie mask projects (the Samhain and Maniac are two of the more famous ones).