The People Under The Stairs

Discussion in 'General' started by Heywood, Apr 7, 2002.

1. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

Blimey. This movie truly is horrible. I guess there is a market for everything. If it were on sale for a dollar, I'd save a dollar ;)

2. Doombear

Doombear Member

I received this movie from DVDBrazil region 0 NTSC. It's a legitimate release as far as I can tell. Apart from the Brazilian-packaging, it's a decent quality widescreen transfer. Recommended. Don't wait for Universal to release theirs. There's even a trailer included.

3. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh what a difference three years make. Passing by a secondhand store, I go inside to pick up something to watch tonight, and the cheapest disc in there is "People Under the Stairs"... so I didn't save that dollar after all (it was $6 actually).

Anyhoo, I watched it last night. The DVD looks amazing, great quality, though no extras. Anyway.... it still stinks. Craven had that Romero thing going, where he had a good enough idea that falls apart in the second half. The longer it goes on the more stupid it gets.

Yeah, I saw the black comedy, but you know what, it feels like it was tacked on half way through making the film because they suddenly realized the film itself wasn't working. THe first half barely has any laughs, but the second half verges on slapstick.

BUt, nothing could have saved it, imo. It's just so dumb and stupid pointing out the many flaws i hardly worth while. It's a bad film, plain and simple. If you take some still from it, or perhaps some ten second snips, you might be able to convince someone it's not bad, but watching the entire thing.... damn it's dull. Oh - and at 1:45, it'S at least 15 minutes too long as well.

4. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

I just watched this film on HBO ( one of the digital ones)

The 1st half of the movie rocked, it looked like it was going to be a modern day classic..
    The slapstick stuff at the second half was misguided and seem out of place...
    The super happy shiny Disney ending made me want to vomit, now that's the worst ending ever for a horror film, IMHO.

5. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

Yeah, it's awful. This is one of those that I bought just to round out my Wes Craven collection...I should have revisited it via Blockbuster before laying down the cash. I thought it was so-so in high school and time has not been kind to it.

6. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

I always loved the passageways in the walls...that's about it though.

7. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

There are micro-seconds of goodness, Maskull. On the other hand, there's a whole other apartment IN THE WALLS, which kind of makes you scratch your head. Wall cavities are ok, but you could move a family into the rooms built here... at times they're walking two abreast for goodness sakes.

And what what the title of this film? "People Under the Stairs", "Boy Trapped in House with People Under the Stairs", "Girl kidnapped in a house with People Under the Stairs", "Boy Living in the Walls of a House with People Under the Stairs"? I mean, it was a bit over-the-top wasn't it?

Oh, forget it, as I said, discussing the many faults in this film is pointless.....

8. CubeOfTheDead

CubeOfTheDead Member

I though this movie was pretty good. Sure it was silly and their were some noticable flaws. Its not the first movie to do this. It is a horror movie, you have to concede that some things are going to be improbable, thats what makes them fun. And thats what this movie is, fun.

9. I love this movie, even today. I don't know why no one else likes it. I laugh my ass off through the whole movie.

10. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I like it too, but I don't love it.

11. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

My problem was, I was laughing AT it, not WITH it.

12. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

I like this flick enough as well. Its fun... nothing more. :)

13. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

pretty decent pick-up

14. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Yeah. Just saw this on the Scream Channel for the very first time and was really unimpressed. Too long for a film of its calibre as well.

15. Nemesis

Nemesis Guest

I have to say i'm apparently one of the rare people who really enjoyed this flick for the mindless fun it was.. i mean ok, the last half could have been better.. but i think the concept was good enough to hold my attention from the start to the end

16. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I'm with everyone else here...had they ended it when Fool escapes the house the first time, it would have been great.

17. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

Time to resurrect this thread.

I saw this film in the theaters during its original run, hated it, and made a point to avoid it ever since. But I've been gradually working through the enormous pile of DVDs I've never watched and pulled out the Wes Craven collection last night.

I was very pleasantly surprised. It's much better than I remembered. I'll even argue that it's more of a good film with very blatant flaws than a lousy one with redeeming qualities.

The problems are so obvious that I can understand why they overshadow the positives for a lot of you. But there's a lot to like here. First, the house is a truly creepy setting. And Craven does a nifty job of gradually peeling back the layers. I liked the way the secrets of the house were gradually revealed to Fool and Leroy. Craven showed a really steady hand during those establishing scenes.

Roach is a truly goofy character. And his appearances definitely take the edge off of the suspense that's established up until his introduction. But a lot of the chase scenes in the middle of the film still manage to effectively capture the feel of a nightmare. Unfortunately Craven eventually shows too much of the "people under the stairs," which dilutes their effectiveness.

Overall I think the actors are good--with Everett McGill being the one notable exception. He goes over-the-top in a way that suggests he was trying to channel Bruce Campbell. It comes across as mugging and just doesn't work. But Wendy Robie gives a really chilling performance. She can definitely play crazy. And Brandon Adams is very tolerable for a child lead. If he was terrible it would have harpooned the whole movie.

Unfortunately, the slapstick eventually renders the film pretty inert. And nothing good occurs once Fool escapes from the house. The ending is truly pitiful--inconsistent with the tone of the rest of the film and plain stupid. It's so ridiculously upbeat that it smacks of Craven caving to focus group screenings.

If Craven had eliminated Roach, reigned in McGill, kept the titular characters in the shadows, and shortened the run-time this could have been a really good genre offering. As it is I still think the first 2/3 have a lot of merit.

18. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

One of my favorites! I hope Shout Factory gets a hold of this through the Universal deal!

19. toiletflush

toiletflush New Member

I interned for one of Wes Craven's production companies, and one of my tasks was to help relocate items from one storage unit to another storage unit. Well, inside the first storage unit was about 8 of the leather gimp costumes from "The People Under the Stairs." I thought that was pretty awesome.

20. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I concur. Damn that's cool.