The Texas Chain Saw Massacre [Seriously Ultimate Edition]

Discussion in 'General' started by Ash28M, Aug 27, 2008.

1. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I was just about too, seriously. :D
    I'll hold out for the "Super, SUPER Serial Edition" myself. :lol:

2. Slackjaw83

Slackjaw83 Lonely St. Tattooer

I have an old VHS copy of this from the late 80's and the pioneer DVD from 03. That's pretty much all the TCM I need.

Eh, it's not as bad as the fact that TCM got a special edition release last year, lol. That's one movie that SERIOUSLY wasn't in need of a "special edition". That said, maybe that means "Howling 2 : Special Edition" will be next :D

3. It's me Billy

It's me Billy New Member

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I don't think you've really seen TCM in all its glory until you've seen Don May's video transfer. The video transfer on Pioneer's DVD (whether it be the original 1998 release or the 2003 rerelease-they're the same disc except for the cover art) is Seriously flawed. Not only is it filled with digital artifacts, it's too dark and it's non-anamorphic.

It's been two years.

4. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I love how the notes to the first Pioneer disc are talking up the restoration and the great color schemes.:rolleyes:
    The Dark Sky disc is such an improvment it's comical really. I gave my Pioneer disc away after getting the DS, no need for that anymore. It just looks worse than shit when compared.

5. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Ditto!!

6. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

:lol:

7. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

To be fair this is an R2, so it's a good alternative to the Dark Sky. It's not something I feel I need though.

8. Slackjaw83

Slackjaw83 Lonely St. Tattooer

To be honest, I like the look of the old VHS print I have more, simply because you can tell it was done on the cheap.

See, I disagree on your point. I feel that you've never truly seen TCM until you've seen an old, dead print played at a revival theater. I had the luck of catching this in a small theater when I was in college that only played arthouse flicks and old cult films. To me, THAT viewing, of a print that bumped, moved, had missing frames, and was marred with scratches, dirt, and tons of grain, was THE way to see TCM.

Now, that said, MOST films look best when restored completely to a pristine condition. TCM, however, is NOT one of those films.

Some day I'd love to see a few others in a similar manner : Evil Dead, The Hills Have Eyes, and Last House on the Left spring to mind.

9. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

I can't BELIEVE this! I just bought the Dark Sky 2-disc edition 2 weeks ago! The #1 thing missing is any participation from Teri McMinn! Now I want this.

At least it's region 2. But really, how the hell could they do this?

10. The Dark Sky one is good enough for me

11. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

Aren't you region crippled? How could they do this? Mmmmm.

12. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Yeah, I don't feel bad about it at all and don't see the big deal here. It's not as if there have never been different DVD editions in different regions! :D

13. Stige

Stige Well-Known Member

i'll buy it when it goes on sale , anything else would just be lying to myself

14. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

Let's face it, within a year I'll be seeing this on the cheap shelves for next to nothing - at which point I might grab it for the extras alone. For a couple bucks it might be worth it. Otherwise....

15. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Do you have a crush on me? Because you know, you don't have to reply to everything I say.

16. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

? Doesn't that apply to you too? I was simply making a point. You asked "how the hell could they do this?", when in other threads I'm pretty sure you've said you're region crippled. So isn't it obvious why they'd do it? At the very least, for region crippled R2 people. :)

You don't have to respond to this....

17. Richard Anthony

Richard Anthony Member

A New Texas Chainsaw DVD Set? Surely, you can't be serious!

I am serious, and Don't Call me Shirley!:lol:

18. HAEMORRHAGE

HAEMORRHAGE If he dies, he dies

Got the steelbook when it came out and I'm quite content with that.

19. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

See, I disagree with your point. How is an old dead print of TCM the way to see it? The DVD from Dark Sky (and now the blu-ray) is THE way to see it. No argument. By watching an old print of the film that is washed out, ridden with print damage and has (!!) missing frames (how is THAT any way to watch a film??) you're not seeing the film as the director intended.

When the film was released in 1974 it wouldn't have been ridden with print damage and had missing frames. It would've been brand new. I mean it would've never looked sparkling (and it never will) but it would've looked pretty close to what Dark Sky gave us with their DVD. With proper colour reproduction, a lot less print damage, and no hiss from the soundtrack. All this stuff you're talking about was brought on by the FLAWS of old home video formats. TCM only looked as good as it did because it couldn't have looked any better given the technology of home video at that time. Texas Chainsaw was never meant to look overly dark to the point where you couldn't see anything. That wasn't a problem with the film's lighting, that was a problem with the print deteriorating over the years, the film not being given proper restoration and the faults of early home video formats.

And YES, Texas Chainsaw Massacre is one of those films that looks best when restored completely. What kind of film WOULDN'T look best when restored completely? Restored DOES mean bringing the film back to the way it looked when it was originally released. How could that be a negative thing for ANY film? Films are not meant to be viewed as deteriorated pieces of junk, which is how TCM looked for years. FINALLY someone brought it back to what it looked like when it was originally released, without the 30 years of deterioration the film experienced.

The definitive release WILL be the blu-ray coming out this year. Since 1080p is very close to the resolution of 16mm film, this is probably the closest the film will look to the way it looked when it was originally released.

~Matt

20. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

I saw this at the theater, and the print was indeed faded, torn, and full of scratches. Seeing it in something other than pristine sure brings back that moment in my mind. So for purposes of reliving the past, maybe a non-perfect print feels just about right...

The only other example of a film I think is better off seen in a "bad" print, is Flower of the Flesh and Blood. Both the remastered and the VHS print is on the DVD - and the VHS print is indeed, the only way to see the film. It's not a title that relies on the camera work, the lighting, the sound stage etc. It's the visceral effect of the film, and that's better amplified through the poor print....

Can't think of any others mind.