The Texas Chain Saw Massacre [Seriously Ultimate Edition]

Discussion in 'General' started by Ash28M, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I can see what you mean, but that stems from personal experience. What I'm saying is that really, the restored version is the way to see TCM. It's finally being shown once again the way the film is really supposed to look. It's not like Tobe Hooper said, "Well this is what I was trying to get across with TCM, but for the real effect, we have to let the print rot for 20 some-odd years." I mean, really.

Sure, some films are meant to look like crap, (whether it's budgetary or a director's choice) but it's never a director's intention to have their film littered with print damage and missing frames. (Unless there's a spliced-in newsreel of some sort, much like what they did with the TCM remake.) Other than that, I don't see what the problem is in "restoring" films. Bringing them back to the way they originally looked. By saying that seeing the film all torn up is the "ONLY" way of seeing it (I know you didn't say this) is simply ludicrous.

All Dark Sky did was restore the colours that had faded, removed print damage and gave the film a higher resolution (closer to that of its native 16mm format). It's not like they added a bunch of extra scenes and completely altered it, they simply restored it.

Personally, I think it's a bigger issue "remaking" films rather than "restoring" them. :D

~Matt

2. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

It's amusing to think of remakes as the ultimate restoration - look we even updated the ACTORS!

I didn't buy the restored Dark Sky release, because the previous one - and to be fair a lot of people complained about it - does me fine. Your point is definitely well taken, and 99% of the time I definitely would echo the sentiment.

Sometimes it can be quite jarring seeing a film totally restored, if you're very used to it in a beaten print. I remember the initial stories about high-def content, and how stars etc. were unhappy because it showed flaws in their make-up or skin. But no-one had the same thing to say about SD remasters, especially when it comes to FX, which as sometimes exposed as being a tad cheesy.

Not that it's a reason not to do it. And hell, we've even got the likes of Tarrantino trying to age his films. Weird.

3. BrianR1982

BrianR1982 New Member

I have the 1986 Media VHS release, so I will NOT be buying this.

4. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

I couldn't agree more! So happy that I'm not the only person with this opinion! Thanks for posting! :banana:

5. It's me Billy

It's me Billy New Member

The Pioneer DVD transfer is indeed riddled with scratches, lines, and dirt and occassionally jumps and moves because of a bad authoring job, but one thing it doesn't have is grain. The grain was removed due to the DVNR process that was applied. Because of this the film looks too smooth and lacks fine detail. The Dark Sky DVD has lots of grain and the film looks all the better for it. Plus, the scratches and lines are gone, the picture is brighter allowing you to actually see the last 20 minutes of the film, and the colors are brighter and more vivid than before. I think the most damning of the Pioneer disc is this photo comparison taken from rhett's review. Keep in mind that the second pic is from the Elite LaserDisc and not the Pioneer DVD. The Pioneer DVD looks worse than the LaserDisc.

[​IMG]
    2006 Dark Sky DVD

[​IMG]
    1996 Elite Entertainment LaserDisc

And if that isn't damning enough, the Pioneer DVD is non-anamorphic while the Dark Sky DVD is 16x9 enhanced. I sold my Pioneer DVD long before the Dark Sky DVD was released in late September 2006. It was so shitty looking that I couldn't get any enjoyment out of watching it. I don't know how a VHS copy looks in comparison.

6. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

Here's the Pioneer DVD:

[​IMG]

But I can't help thinking you're somewhat missing the point. The point being made wasn't that the Dark Sky didn't sport better A/V, but that seeing this film in less than stellar quality might well add to the experience...... ;)

I might add, that Dark Sky shot looks a over-bright to me. There are virtually no shadows, yet look at the lighting.... I think they might have gone over-the-top....

7. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Hopefully that'll be corrected with the blu-ray. It should, anyway. That over-brightness seems to be a DVD thing. Bonnie & Clyde looks too bright in some areas on the DVD, but the blu-ray is just fine.

~Matt

8. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

Here's hoping so. :)

That Dark Sky capture is a bit laughable. Three small lamps, and the room is lit like a football stadium. :D

9. MrVess

MrVess Guest

"Seriously Ultimate Edition"?

There's been a long history of stupid special edition titles, and this one would be a good contender for one of the top spots. Perhaps Uwe should release one of his films as a "OMFG Liek Teh Bestest Edition".

10. It's me Billy

It's me Billy New Member

"My Family's Always Been In Meat" Edition

"Come On, Franklin! It's Gonna Be A Fun Trip! PPPPFFFFFFFT! PPPPFFFFFFFT! PPPPFFFFFFFT! PPPPFFFFFFFT! PPPPFFFFFFFT!" Edition

11. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

Seriously...I'm also getting the blu-ray. Will be only my second purchase of the film...following the Pioneer DVD.

12. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

:spit: ...damn dude!

13. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I think I just wet myself. :lol:

~Matt

14. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I just came across this on YouTube. Let's just hope restoration doesn't end up altering movies the way George Lucas did here. :lol:

~Matt

15. Slackjaw83

Slackjaw83 Lonely St. Tattooer

To each their own. As I said in my last post, I think films like TCM should be a little "beat". I think it just helps add to the atmosphere to me. It's a RAW, DIRTY flik, and, IMO, it should LOOK that way, not like a clean, pristine, PG-13 2008 mall-core horror flik. That's just me, though.

BTW, I know about a half dozen people that saw TCM during it's initial run in 74, and all of them have memories of it looking kinda "funky" (to use an adjective one of them used). You have to remember that their were only X ammount of copies of the film traveling theaters/drive-ins at the time, and, being in rural Pennsylvania, chances are they didn't get to see it until 6 months-a year after it was released, so, by that point, chances are the film DIDN'T look all new and clean. ;)

I'm a stickler, for the most part, for a great transfer when it comes to buying DVDs. That said, as I pointed out earlier, I just think some films look better when they aren't cleaned up. Seriously, it isn't Casablanca or Gone with the Wind, it's the Texas Freakin' Chainsaw Massacre we're talkin' about here! :D

16. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

That just means by the time they saw the film in theaters it had deteriorated a bit. It was still meant to be seen cleaned up, and I'm sure the people who saw it the first few times it was screened saw it pristine. I guess from a nostalgia point of view, I can understand why people would want to watch it all beat up, and I understand that it is a grungy dirty movie, so that might add a bit to it for some people. I remember trying to watch an old beat up VHS version when I was a kid and hated it because it was so dark, that you couldn't tell what was going on. Then again, I wouldn't use that as the best example as my taste in movies was probably horrible and younger skewed back then. But without the nostalgia, I would definitely rather have the pristine more film like version then a beat up and dark print. Personally I think if they have the room, they should add both versions to a DVD, and especially on the Blu Ray. Wouldn't take much space up to add a dirty VHS version of the movie, and would make everyone happy. Kind of like how they added the work prints for Blade Runner, or Clerks onto their DVDs.

17. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

This one is even funnier, and so close to true it's scary.:nervous:

18. Latency

Latency Guest

This film is best viewed on a shitty VHS that has been played 100+ times. Adds to the atmosphere :). Save the high quality super editions for the beautiful movies like Suspiria.