The Thing Prequel

Discussion in 'General' started by SEANVALEN, Sep 15, 2008.

1. rijir

rijir Member

I don't need to see what happened to the Norwegians. We all know they all died. So what fun is a move where we know they will all die. Plus shouldn't they speek Norwegian? I don't want to watch 2 hours of subtitles. But if they spoke english it wouldn't make sense. A prequel is a stupid idea. And I would even fear a sequel because even Carpenter would f it up. Anyone see Escape from LA? He has lost all of my respect. He has even said he would sell all rights to remake his films for the right amount of money. He doesn't own The Thing though.

And to think this won't be all CGI is foolish. You know a majority of the effects will be CGI. It is cheaper than physical effects. And they won't hire Rob Bottin either.

I hope this is just more talk and it doesn't happen.

2. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

Yes, please leave it alone. Hasn't anyone seen the Prom Night remake? AAIIEE!

3. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

I for one am interested in this. It's been awhile since I watched the original, but was it confirmed for certain that no one escaped the Norwegian base alive? Its entirely possible there could have been a/some survivor(s), as there were in the first film. Also there are lots of movies I've loved where the outcome is already known, or made clear from the start. Also theres been a real shortage of sci-fi horror movies lately, I cant even think of the last good sci-fi horror......beggars cant be choosers.

I also dont get the whole 'leave it alone' thing. What does that even mean? The movie is decades old, a new movie, even if shitty, will in no way affect an already dead franchise. Its not like if the new movie sucks the next time you open your Thing dvd it will be replaced by a moldy turd.

4. MrVess

MrVess Guest

Wonderful. I hope it will explore everything, from the childhood of MacReady, with an obligatory scene showing his first big cowboy hat, to the childhood of the creature and the scene showing how it absorbed its first alien Flying Machine Workshop teacher. It should show and explain everything, in order to appeal to the hip modern audiences and their "Duuuhhh, but why dat happen? Who dat wuz? Why he like dat? Where he from? Durr, me want sandwich!" mentality.

What, what's that? Huh? What the hell are "imagination" and "mystery"? Must be some ancient concepts that can't even be uploaded to Myspace. Who needs them.

5. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Just because it's being made now doesn't mean it will had a bad script, bad director, bad actors, and that it will explain everything. Again, lets shit on every horror film that's made, and only like ones before 1990. How about you be positive and hope that maybe something good can come out of this. Every time a horror film is announced all you hear about is people bitching and insulting it before pre-production has even started! Remakes, sequels, and prequels do not ruin the original film like aoiookami already said. If you hate it, you will always have the original to go back to. Did Jason X ruin the fun of the other Friday the 13th films? Did Exorcist: The Beginning make the Exorcist worse? I'm not saying it's going to be good, but I hope that somehow it is, and who knows, maybe they will use lots of practical effects. Depending on the director, that is very plausible, as there are lots of directors out there that like to use a little of everything. Anyways, just sick of the negativity from horror fans of films they haven't seen, hell haven't even read a script or seen a trailer for.

6. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

:lol: this was great.

7. rijir

rijir Member

My negativity comes from a lack of faith in Hollywood to make a good horror/sci-fi movie these days. My favorite film of all time is Alien. I also loved Aliens. When Alien 3 was coming out I was totally geeked only to be shit upon by a waste of film. Then part 4. And then came the AVP shit fests. Now the Alien series is beyond repair. Even the directors of the first 2 have said the AVP films ruined the series.

I don't want that to happen to The Thing.

Just leave it alone.

8. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

I appreciate your explanation. But when you watch Alien and Aliens they are still great arent they? And you never have to watch any other entry every again.

Also people were probably like 'Aliens? Great, lets just add more creatures, guns and explosions for those 'hip modern audiences''

9. Criswell

Criswell New Member

Do prequals ever work?

As for the Norwegians......... they all died the same way the yanks did!

10. rijir

rijir Member

As a movie fan I will constantly encourage others to watch films that I like. When you have a group of films like the Alien series where only the first 2 ar good and the rest totally suck you will have many who were introduced to the series with the ones that suck. So now they have already decided that the whole series isn't worth watching based on the bad ones.

This also works with remakes. If you tell someone to watch a film like The Fog, they will probably say "Oh yes I saw that and it sucked". When really all they know of and saw was the substandard remake and not the classic original. I hate having to explain about the existance of the original films because all they know if is the shitty remakes.

11. Spit

Spit Active Member

the prequel should include a running gag about everyone thinking the Norwegians are Swedish. Now that would be funny.

12. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I guess I'm the only one who dug Alien 3. Yeah, they killed Hicks, but they also went with the ballsiest ending possible. Then the assembly cut came out and that was even better. Resurrection was fun scifi shlock for me. The first AVP did suck, though. I'm getting off topic here so I'll stop.

13. Spit

Spit Active Member

Off-topicing further, I dug Alien 3 too. I always felt it kinda had a 'Minotaur in the labyrinth' feel to it.

14. Alan Smithee

Alan Smithee Member

I'm just sick of seeing remake/prequel/sequel after remake/prequel/sequel while movies like Midnight Meat Train and Trick 'R Treat get the shaft.

By the way, the Norwegians
    all die.

15. MrVess

MrVess Guest

Ah, but Jan Bolen and the pilot do survive, until they reach Outpost 31...

16. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

17. Iron Jaiden

Iron Jaiden New Member

This is not a sexist statement but one of the best elements of The Thing was the lack of a female character. No love interest, no male competition for affection, no need for a strong or weak female archetype. Pure paranoia induced horror. That first pic makes me worried we're gonna have a goddamn problem here. :(

18. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

19. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Hmm. Good point. I knew something was up with these pics. I think you nailed it. Maybe if it was a less attractive chick who didn't automatically scream "love interest" it would be a different story, but that really is a glaring point of contention already.

EDIT: At least considering this is a prequel about the Norwegians. If it was a sequel that takes place years later, the chick factor might be easier to forgive.

EDIT2: I usually am pretty easy on the prequel/sequel scene, but look at these character names:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0905372/
    They don't even sound Norwegian for fuck sakes! What the fuck? This is kind of depressing. I just watched In the Mouth of Madness again this weekend. Fucking awesome. Carpenter can really hit the nail. He wanted to do a sequel with Kurt Russell and Keith David and explain their ages appearance as being a side effect of the frost bite. Instead we get this. It better fucking prove me wrong.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  20. MacReady

MacReady New Member

Yes, thats how I am trying to look at this.

Also, the new stills look ok to me.

And since this isnt really a remake, I am fine with the addition of a female character.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010